Just making a little journal of my day to day experience jumping from my Z30 to a Priv. With some of the issues I'm having, I hope some of you can help me resolve it before I decide against keeping it and revert to my Z30.

Today is Day 1.

Had to swap sim cards... minor inconvenience, but i guess it's time to get with the times (i think?).

bought a quickcharge 2.0 car and home charger, they really don't charge a whole lot better than the 2.1/2.4 amp chargers i'm used to using.

top left corner of the screen sporadically becomes unresponsive, fixed each time with a reboot. (VERY ANNOYING)

BB10's contact management is worlds better (unless there's something I'm missing) with Android. I had to use sync.me to get my facebook friends tuned in with the names and numbers already in my phone, although for some reason 2 of a few hundred contacts showed up.

The hub, the core of BB10, seems to be gimped by having to go to the home screen to access it on the priv. I'm not sure I remember it being so bizarre to get used to when I first got my Z10 or Z30, we will see if I can quickly adapt to swiping the center circle to the hub to get there quicker.

I wish the hub would automatically show up, rather than the entire list of notifications.

huge pain in the nuts to get the LED color to change based on email/bbm/sms/facebook etc.

it's nice to be able to view facebook threads without seeing that it can't be displayed. however, having an integrated chat application in the BB10 facebook is a lot bigger of a deal than I thought it was before I went to the priv.

the camera is LEGIT.
    aha, mkiiw, 00stryder and 1 others like this.
    12-31-15 04:54 PM
    Every OS have it's own merits/demerits but moving from BB10 to Android or iOS is like a downgrade.
    Yes Android has upper hand due to Apps availability but that's it.
    01-01-16 01:49 AM
    Keep them coming OP, I enjoyed reading this kind of raw experience of device switching. Hopefully in a few weeks the experience becomes a positive one.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    01-01-16 02:18 AM
    I agree entirely, right now. The flow of BlackBerry 10 was far superior to any mobile os. It just felt natural. However, I'm thinking that after some time, I will get used to this whole android thing. If I had the choice right now to put BlackBerry 10 on my priv, I would absolutely do it. This is all subject to change as I adapt to the device.

However, the battery life of this thing is about the same, if not slightly better than my z30.

I'm slowly figuring out where each adjustment for notifications is.

One thing that surprised me a lot, was how inferior the speakers are compared to my z30. I used to cup each corner to deflect the sound to me, and it was almost enough to fill a room. The priv's speaker sounds like crud in comparison.

However, I found out last night that I get LTE at work - was lucky to get edge with the z30.

The problem with the top left of the screen is a somewhat common problem with android and Facebook messenger.

I also just found out that you can swipe the physical keyboard to send a word up. Just started loving it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    edgarfranco47 likes this.
    01-01-16 07:34 AM
    figuring out more and more about the priv and android as the minutes go by. i've been latched onto it just learning new features.

the home screen feels far more "cluttered" than bb10 did, however, the folders are much more convenient to use than the ones in BB10 (as in they open up in a small window rather than a full screen)

the quality of the sound output still sorta irks me. Z30's stereo was phenomenal in comparison. Z30 gave me a reason to not use my JBL charge 2 ever, whereas the Priv is paired to it almost constantly.

i think the priv is a great followup to the Z series. I also am using the physical keyboard more than I anticipated.
    mkiiw likes this.
    01-02-16 09:48 AM
    Thanks for the commentary! I'm about to make the change from Z30 to Priv, and am a little afraid I'll be disappointed. Although Priv seems to be a great device.

Question, did you solve the SIM card problem by saving everything to your Z30 device, then use the contents transfer app and new Sim?

Keep us updated!

Posted via CB10
    01-02-16 06:29 PM
    Thanks for the commentary! I'm about to make the change from Z30 to Priv, and am a little afraid I'll be disappointed. Although Priv seems to be a great device.

Question, did you solve the SIM card problem by saving everything to your Z30 device, then use the contents transfer app and new Sim?

Keep us updated!

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean? The z30 uses a micro Sim, the priv uses nano.

01-02-16 08:12 PM
    What do you mean? The z30 uses a micro Sim, the priv uses nano.

Right right, I know. Probably a stupid question. I've seen so many posts about filing down the micro card to fit. I'm not going to do that. Just want to ensure all of my contacts get transferred. But I assume the transfer app covers all of that.

Either way, hope you're still enjoying the phone. I'm looking forward to getting the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 03:58 PM
    Right right, I know. Probably a stupid question. I've seen so many posts about filing down the micro card to fit. I'm not going to do that. Just want to ensure all of my contacts get transferred. But I assume the transfer app covers all of that.

Either way, hope you're still enjoying the phone. I'm looking forward to getting the Priv.

Posted via CB10

i'd strongly suggest syncing your contacts with an email service like gmail. your phone gets lost or stolen, that sim card has your contacts on it and you are essentially screwed.
    01-03-16 04:33 PM
    I'm a Z30 user and I'm extremely tempted but all in with Tax it's $760

I worked out a deal with a guy to get a slightly used STV100-1 with Qi charging that he bought straight from Shop.BlackBerry for $615.

But I'm not going to have any guarantee of Warranty if I go that route, but it's a $145 cheaper.

Any advice, should I jump on it?

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    01-03-16 05:09 PM
    I'm a Z30 user and I'm extremely tempted but all in with Tax it's $760

I worked out a deal with a guy to get a slightly used STV100-1 with Qi charging that he bought straight from Shop.BlackBerry for $615.

But I'm not going to have any guarantee of Warranty if I go that route, but it's a $145 cheaper.

Any advice, should I jump on it?

The Priv is dropping in price by around that next month and will drop again at the end of January when other carriers offer the Priv.

Posted from my Priv
    01-03-16 05:17 PM
    there's no guarantee of price drop. if the demand is high enough, they'll keep charging what they're charging.

and I'm pretty sure if you buy a phone second hand in the first few months of it's release, blackberry should take care of you. you don't keep loyal customers by hosing them. Clewley took care of me before.
    01-03-16 05:26 PM
    The Priv is dropping in price by around that next month and will drop again at the end of January when other carriers offer the Priv.

Posted from my Priv
    Price drop is rumored for February and I highly doubt it's dropping for near $150.

01-03-16 05:43 PM
    there's no guarantee of price drop. if the demand is high enough, they'll keep charging what they're charging.

and I'm pretty sure if you buy a phone second hand in the first few months of it's release, blackberry should take care of you. you don't keep loyal customers by hosing them. Clewley took care of me before.
    I really want it but with all of the QC issues I've heard of I'm worried without a warranty.

I'm getting if off an eBay user that I've heckled...

Do you think I should take the plunge?
    Based on how much you enjoy it the first few days.

I've used android a bit so I know my way around it.

01-03-16 05:44 PM
    I really want it but with all of the QC issues I've heard of I'm worried without a warranty.

I'm getting if off an eBay user that I've heckled...

Do you think I should take the plunge?
    Based on how much you enjoy it the first few days.

I've used android a bit so I know my way around it.

I'd do it. I don't see any imminent problems with this device coming.
    01-03-16 05:59 PM
    it's nice to be able to view facebook threads without seeing that it can't be displayed. however, having an integrated chat application in the BB10 facebook is a lot bigger of a deal than I thought it was before I went to the priv.

the camera is LEGIT.
    I actually really appreciate that you mention that. For as many people as there are who very quickly trash our native BB10 app every chance they get (and I am not saying they are wrong in any way - the app is atrocious in many ways), I'm sure most don't consider the fact that having the Facebook messaging integrated is actually a HUGE thing. When I found out that they were making the 'Messenger' app mandatory in order to use their messaging service on Android, I was a bit taken aback and happy for my 'different' version on BlackBerry.

Having said that, how do these apps behave within the Android Hub? Is there any integration or are they just not there at all?
    ram67 likes this.
    01-03-16 06:05 PM
    They appear in the hub however they aren't really that useful, it's more of a glorified notification centre at the moment... for example I click on a notification from Facebook and it will open within the Facebook app and not the hub, even pressing back doesn't take you back to the hub it goes back within the app which is super annoying....

Messenger app isn't integrated into the hub at all however, that's fine because you get the floating heads, which in my opinion are fantastic and bbm needs a similar feature on android as there's no quick reply feature like on BB10

Attached Thumbnails Z30 to Priv - Day to Day updates-44578.jpg  
    01-03-16 06:27 PM
    I actually really appreciate that you mention that. For as many people as there are who very quickly trash our native BB10 app every chance they get (and I am not saying they are wrong in any way - the app is atrocious in many ways), I'm sure most don't consider the fact that having the Facebook messaging integrated is actually a HUGE thing. When I found out that they were making the 'Messenger' app mandatory in order to use their messaging service on Android, I was a bit taken aback and happy for my 'different' version on BlackBerry.

Having said that, how do these apps behave within the Android Hub? Is there any integration or are they just not there at all?
    They're all there. The image is how you get to the hub on the priv, aside from the icon . The next image is also a quick way to get to the hub,but it's still not as efficient as BlackBerry 10. I certainly miss peek and flow.

The blacked out picture is known as the "productivity edge". Neat, but not exactly as quick as BlackBerry 10...

In all, I love this device. I'm getting more and more fluent by the minute. I've all but lost my urges to go back to the z30. However, if this thing gets broken, the z30, while dated is a more than capable device.

Attachment 386501

Attached Thumbnails Z30 to Priv - Day to Day updates-33564.jpg  
    Jamie Wooten likes this.
    01-03-16 06:33 PM
    At first I really didn't like the priv, at one point I had made up my mind to return it.
    But now I'm getting it set up the way I like it and its working really good.

Some things I did was disable a bunch of the Google stuff I didn't like.
    First thing was the Gmail app, I found out that by disabling the Gmail app it let's the blackberry hub work like it should that was a big one.
    Have not disabled the text messenger app yet, I give that a try since you can compose a text in the hub.

Then I set my resent apps to display in tiles which made the multi tasking feel a lot more like os 10
    it works very nicely now.

Got all the blackberry apps that I like on home screen
    Found a nice black colored design wallpaper

Turned off vibration on key press, it reminds to much of android

Disabled the Google picture viewer app because it sucked bad and
    Downloaded the app called piktures

So far it's been working very nice.

diesel0110 likes this.
    01-03-16 08:10 PM
    I just bought a Priv on NYE. how do you disable the Google Apps?

-from my Priv 5.1.1
    01-03-16 08:38 PM

-from my Priv 5.1.1
    You don't necessarily disable them, just find alternatives for the defaults.

01-03-16 08:41 PM
    You don't necessarily disable them, just find alternatives for the defaults.

No you can disable them.

In Android you can disable anything, you cannot delete every app but you can disable or freeze them to stop them from running anymore.

You have to go into the settings and then go to apps and pick a specific app you want to disable and disable or freeze or stop it (not sure of the correct term).

01-03-16 08:43 PM

-from my Priv 5.1.1
    Press and hold the app icon and at the top of the screen you will see
    "Remove" on the left and "disable" on the right drag the icon to disable
    You can always re enable the app if you change your mind. By disabling the app it stops working. it's still on the phone.

01-03-16 08:50 PM
    Thank you very much!

-from my Priv 5.1.1
    01-03-16 09:02 PM
    At first I really didn't like the priv, at one point I had made up my mind to return it.
    But now I'm getting it set up the way I like it and its working really good.

Some things I did was disable a bunch of the Google stuff I didn't like.
    First thing was the Gmail app, I found out that by disabling the Gmail app it let's the blackberry hub work like it should that was a big one.
    Have not disabled the text messenger app yet, I give that a try since you can compose a text in the hub.

Then I set my resent apps to display in tiles which made the multi tasking feel a lot more like os 10
    it works very nicely now.

Got all the blackberry apps that I like on home screen
    Found a nice black colored design wallpaper

Turned off vibration on key press, it reminds to much of android

Disabled the Google picture viewer app because it sucked bad and
    Downloaded the app called piktures

So far it's been working very nice.

Well said! I did exactly same things in my Priv except of the Google pictures app which I find it ok .I found also that Vibrations and noises consume as well a lot of battery.
    Skidoo583 likes this.
    01-03-16 09:19 PM
42 12