So I'm looking to get the Priv but have a question. I've owned many BB's in my time and remember that on OS10, you could watch a YouTube video and use another app at the same time. This worked best for music, so I could be listening to a song on YouTube but open up lets say WhatsApp and send a message, and YouTube would still play in the background. This was due to the swiping up feature on OS10.

Does the Priv have this functionality? I know on other Android devices, YouTube stops playing as soon as you go away from the app.

This was such a great feature! One that I miss...
    03-22-16 07:53 AM
    So I'm looking to get the Priv but have a question. I've owned many BB's in my time and remember that on OS10, you could watch a YouTube video and use another app at the same time. This worked best for music, so I could be listening to a song on YouTube but open up lets say WhatsApp and send a message, and YouTube would still play in the background. This was due to the swiping up feature on OS10.

Does the Priv have this functionality? I know on other Android devices, YouTube stops playing as soon as you go away from the app.

Think you can make that work through the youtube app

Posted via CB10
    03-22-16 07:56 AM
    Would like to know this also anyone know?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-22-16 08:01 AM
    I use the app on my LG G3 and that doesn't work.
    03-22-16 08:02 AM
    Firefox

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    03-22-16 08:17 AM
    You can get YouTube Red to do this, comes with Google Play Music subscription. You can sideload OG YouTube. Or you can use the Floating Apps apk from the Play Store.
    03-22-16 08:36 AM
    You tube red costs $10 per month. Ridiculous if you only want it for the multitasking feature.

03-22-16 09:15 AM
    Get Firefox. Much like BB10 where the YouTube app is a link to the browser, this will allow you to continue playing videos in the background. Chrome and the native and the YouTube app block this functionality to promote YouTube Red.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-16 09:22 AM
    I decided to try it. It stopped. But when I returned to YouTube, I got a popup - "Keep your favorite videos playing while using other apps: Get YouTube RED"

So they may now have a new app (pay upgrade).

But it did work when I opened YouTube in Firefox - working right now. I am listening to Pearl Fishers and reading a book in Kindle app.
    03-22-16 09:22 AM
    I haven't figured it out yet inside the app. But the YouTube music app works. Also in the play store. As well as through the browser.
    I wasn't going to keep the PRIV or any Android phone if I couldn't listen to YouTube with the screen off.

03-22-16 09:24 AM
    http://caf.notphenom.com/
    03-22-16 09:27 AM
    BlackBerry's OS and browser was capable of true multi tasking. On Android, including Priv, if you switch from the YouTube video, it will pause. That happens whether you use the app or the browser.

Google is, however, including the ability to play Youtube videos in the background as part of a YouTube Red subscription. I suspect most won't want to pay for the ability to listen in the background.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-16 10:21 AM
    Thanks guys, really useful options here. I agree, paying a monthly subscription just to listen to YouTube in the back is crazy. I'll try FF. It's not the end of the world if I can't but is a nice addition!

Went and had a look at the Priv today. First time the phone place actually got it out and showed me. What a phone!
    03-22-16 11:03 AM
    Link not working???
    03-22-16 12:10 PM
    OGYoutube
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2213945

Use it on my Shield K1 and it works great!

03-22-16 12:15 PM
    I've been using opera for YouTube and u can leave and do other things or shut off screen. Official app you cannot for some reason. So annoying

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*
    03-22-16 06:02 PM
    Firefox

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    Exactly right. Use FireFox browser for YouTube. Works just like YouTube on BB10.

03-22-16 06:14 PM

Download Firefox browser

03-22-16 06:19 PM
    The only reason this worked on BB10 is because it doesn't have a YouTube app. The YouTube app doesn't allow playing in the background and since its owned by Google the Chrome browser blocks it as well. BB10 never got an official YouTube app and used a weblink. You can get the same background playing on iOS and and Android phones using Safari (iOS) or Firefox (Android) instead of the actual YouTube app. Has nothing to do with any multitasking nonsense of BB10.
    03-22-16 06:45 PM
    The only reason this worked on BB10 is because it doesn't have a YouTube app. The YouTube app doesn't allow playing in the background and since its owned by Google the Chrome browser blocks it as well. BB10 never got an official YouTube app and used a weblink. You can get the same background playing on iOS and and Android phones using Safari (iOS) or Firefox (Android) instead of the actual YouTube app. Has nothing to do with any multitasking nonsense of BB10.
    I think the point is that with Android, you have to download a completely different browser/app in order to achieve the same action that was already present right out of the box with BlackBerry 10 stock browser.

I'm glad that the OP has a simple option of achieving what he wants but having to download apps to achieve it is a bit irritating IMO.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    RSKandola and will308 like this.
    03-22-16 09:46 PM
    Use Firefox browser. Works very well

03-22-16 10:11 PM
    I think the point is that with Android, you have to download a completely different browser/app in order to achieve the same action that was already present right out of the box with BlackBerry 10 stock browser.

I'm glad that the OP has a simple option of achieving what he wants but having to download apps to achieve it is a bit irritating IMO.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    I think the point has been made time and time again why chrome blocks it. Downloading an additional browser out of the native appstore is no big deal considering the numerous loops and tricks people use to get apps working on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    RSKandola and kbz1960 like this.
    03-23-16 05:46 AM
    If Firefox is used, does Chrome have to be disable/removed/uninstalled?

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    03-23-16 05:47 AM
    If Firefox is used, does Chrome have to be disable/removed/uninstalled?

Nope, you can have as many browsers as you'd like.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-23-16 05:50 AM
    Thanks!

03-23-16 05:59 AM
30 12