BlackBerry Priv (Venice) - XDA Forums

This is a rare occurrence, with the forum created well before the device is. I've never seen this happen outside of Android flagships, so could be an indicator that there is genuine interest in the Android community.
    09-25-15 01:39 PM
    Finally. See you guys ^^

You should head over to XDA and finally get a different point of view about BlackBerry and Android. A more positive one maybe.

Posted via CB10
    Xaiux and MO3iusONE like this.
    09-25-15 01:45 PM
    Finally. See you guys ^^

You should head over to XDA and finally get a different point of view about BlackBerry and Android. A more positive one maybe.

Posted via CB10
    Huh? I was never against the idea of Android. Heck I only jumped on to BB10 a few months ago.

If you search on there you would see me trying to get a Galaxy Relay debloated, but the damn thing kept corrupting my microSD so I returned it.
    09-25-15 01:49 PM
    LOL

See you ^^Ulferini
    09-25-15 01:51 PM
    Don't think XDA going to have much fun with Priv, its locked down too much. Rooting: No Swapping Kernels: No Loading Custom Rom: No .
    09-25-15 01:51 PM
    Don't think XDA going to have much fun with Priv, its locked down too much. Rooting: No Swapping Kernels: No Loading Custom Rom: No .
    That's what you think.... it is an android device. This is the pickle BlackBerry got it's in, with all this "secure android " talk they've got a big target on their backs from every hacker. Everyone will want to say I'm the 1St to hack/root a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-25-15 01:57 PM
    They had just changed the name from Venice to Priv today. The forums itself has probably been there a week or so. I'm giving them maybe 2 or 3 months at the most to root it, although some Android devices have taken a while. Usually due to lack of demand, not inability.
    09-25-15 01:58 PM
    That's what you think.... it is an android device. This is the pickle BlackBerry got it's in, with all this "secure android " talk they've got a big target on their backs from every hacker. Everyone will want to say I'm the 1St to hack/root a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure there will be people that will try, if they are that talented they'd probably put their resources into providing a end user method of rooting the Verizon/ATT Note4 and collect the 30K bounty.

Otherwise it would be some shadow government allied groups and none of us will know about it.
    09-25-15 02:07 PM
    Anything could be possible, until the device runs on Android and xda developers are there to port.
    09-25-15 02:08 PM
    I'm sure there will be people that will try, if they are that talented they'd probably put their resources into providing a end user method of rooting the Verizon/ATT Note4 and collect the 30K bounty.

Otherwise it would be some shadow government allied groups and none of us will know about it.
    Remember the Blackphone?
    09-25-15 02:11 PM
    People will prefer XDA over CB for this device.
    09-25-15 02:20 PM
    People will prefer XDA over CB for this device.
    Definitely! CB has years of experience with BBOS and BB10, XDA has it for android.

My prediction is that people will come here for the BES aspect of the device.
    09-25-15 02:26 PM
    XDA waiting for fhe first custom rom in Android devolpment. Also here in the Netherlands they are waiting to get this phone been hacked with a custom rom ,and I think a lot of these custom roms guys wanted to be the first to get there hand on the Priv. BlackBerry Beaware

It's getting cloudy here
    09-25-15 02:43 PM
    And hackers all over the world are ready for the debut of this device too.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    ryanza likes this.
    09-25-15 02:45 PM
    Remember the Blackphone?
    You mean the overblown hack at Defcon? Z10 was also owned at DefCon as well via a baseband hack.

The SilentText Blackphone vulnerability was more serious tho it was application level and fixed quickly.
    09-25-15 02:50 PM
    My prediction is that people will come here for the BES aspect of the device.
    I come here for the eye candy.
    09-25-15 02:52 PM
    If BB has an ounce to smarts ( Doubtful )... they should simply aim the Priv at the consumer market which is what it appears to be and pump out cheap devces running bb10 for enterprize.... this way when the priv is routed... they can use the enterpirse bb10 phones as a firewall on enterprise so to speak.. as they have not specifically said these phones are targeted at enterpise.. they may have an out... with the added bonus of BB10 kept alive....
    brookie229 likes this.
    09-25-15 02:57 PM
    You mean the overblown hack at Defcon? Z10 was also owned at DefCon as well via a baseband hack.

The SilentText Blackphone vulnerability was more serious tho it was application level and fixed quickly.
    I agree it was overblown myself. I think Blackberry have to be careful marketing it. If they market it as completely locked down and unrootable then they'll end up in a Blackphone situation where it will get rooted. Regardless of whether the hackers at XDA can make a public rootable method for it or not.

If it's sold as a more secure android then it's upto the guys and gals at XDA to hack it. Which I think will happen eventually but I doubt the backlash will be as big.

From what I've read on XDA the problem with some of the bounties is a lot of people pledge but only a small amount pay up. Although I don't think this device will need that, I have a feeling a lot will fancy their chances just to gain root based on Blackberrys reputation.
    09-25-15 03:01 PM
    If BB has an ounce to smarts ( Doubtful )... they should simply aim the Priv at the consumer market which is what it appears to be and pump out cheap devces running bb10 for enterprize.... this way when the priv is routed... they can use the enterpirse bb10 phones as a firewall on enterprise so to speak.. as they have not specifically said these phones are targeted at enterpise.. they may have an out... with the added bonus of BB10 kept alive....
    Exactly---I believe BB10 will be around a year from now and if the Priv is rooted, I can just hear it now "Even we (BB) could not lock this android down so maybe you enterprise guys should stick with our BB10 offering".
    idhbar likes this.
    09-25-15 03:03 PM
    I agree it was overblown myself. I think Blackberry have to be careful marketing it. If they market it as completely locked down and unrootable then they'll end up in a Blackphone situation where it will get rooted. Regardless of whether the hackers at XDA can make a public rootable method for it or not.

If it's sold as a more secure android then it's upto the guys and gals at XDA to hack it. Which I think will happen eventually but I doubt the backlash will be as big.

From what I've read on XDA the problem with some of the bounties is a lot of people pledge but only a small amount pay up. Although I don't think this device will need that, I have a feeling a lot will fancy their chances just to gain root based on Blackberrys reputation.
    BB won't be marketing this to governments/regulated space at least not right away. It will have to go thru all the security certs required at that level and that will take time, time enough to assess any vulnerability their implementation of gsec kernel and XDA have to throw at it. Thats why BB10 won't be going away for the near future: 2-3 years.
    Yatezy likes this.
    09-25-15 03:09 PM