Hold your horses and compare Priv's sales after it has been on the market for over one year. BlackBerry makes very good devices and lack of apps was the disadvantage.
    You know what happens when a new android phone is released? The sites make a table and compare specs across all devices...can Blackberry compete with that?
    10-08-15 01:41 PM
    https://live.theverge.com/live-code-...015-john-chen/

Live from Code Mobile with BlackBerry's John Chen

Two more BB10 releases to support business and government customers, but would not answer if there would be new BB10 hardware. So those two release are software only.
    jeffydude05 likes this.
    10-08-15 01:46 PM
    Yes, the writing is on the wall. Here is the "writing on the wall" from the Recode event for those who haven't seen it yet (Courtesy of the Verge): https://live.theverge.com/live-code-...015-john-chen/

Sorry for the long post but the writing for BB10 is truly on the wall. I see from the interview: the end of BB10 new devices, only maintenance BB10 updates until BB Android has been fully established in the market and failing to do so, BB out of the handset business as early as 2016. The market has spoken and there is no space for BB10 in the mainstream. Time to accept the reality, embrace the new Android BlackBerry or move on. Nothing more, nothing less. No long winded discussions on the merits or demerits will change what has clearly already been decided.

FROM HALF MOON BAY, CALIFORNIA
    Live from Code Mobile with BlackBerry's John Chen
    Event Updates
    DAN SEIFERT 8:43:50 AM PDT
    Hey! If you're here, hang tight John won't be on stage for another 20 minutes or so.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:08:00 AM PDT
    And here we go, Ina Fried and Walt Mossberg are now on stage with John Chen. Let's roll!
    DAN SEIFERT 9:08:36 AM PDT
    Ina: How long have you been CEO?
    DAN SEIFERT 9:08:42 AM PDT
    John: About 2 years now.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:08:51 AM PDT
    Ina: How long has it felt?
    DAN SEIFERT 9:08:57 AM PDT
    Laughs all around.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:09:17 AM PDT
    Walt: You've now said that you're launching an Android phone. Can you tell us about it?
    DAN SEIFERT 9:09:37 AM PDT
    Chen pulls the Priv out of his pocket. It's the slider phone that runs Android that's been leaked a bunch.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:10:05 AM PDT
    It has a 5-inch touchscreen, slide out keyboard, and capacitive touch on the keyboard, just like the Passport.
    LAUREN GOODE 9:10:08 AM PDT

DAN SEIFERT 9:10:54 AM PDT
    Walt: Let's talk about why you're doing this. BlackBerry has been well known for integrating hardware and software, this is a break from that. Why are you doing that?
    LAUREN GOODE 9:11:20 AM PDT

DAN SEIFERT 9:11:59 AM PDT
    Chen: Two or three things that I need to solve for the company to do well again is I have to go cross platform, I have to solve the lack of applications, and I can't let go of the security aspect.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:12:45 AM PDT
    Chen: We wanted to bring the BlackBerry knowhow in security the whole stack to Android, recognizing that we need the apps there and the world is about integrating now.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:13:12 AM PDT
    It's a very similar approach to Microsoft BlackBerry has realized it needs to support other platforms if it's ever going to succeed.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:13:54 AM PDT
    Chen: I'm doing what I'm doing to take advantage of what the industry has to offer without giving up the security and privacy features BlackBerry is known for.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:14:19 AM PDT
    Ina: What if you had launched six months ago and the Priv had stagefright or some other security flaw that was in Android?
    LAUREN GOODE 9:15:23 AM PDT

DAN SEIFERT 9:15:23 AM PDT
    Chen: We work with Google, but I can't guarantee anything, maybe that's a dumb thing for me to say, but we think we'll be more resilient than anyone else. We inject a PIN in every chip in every phone, even the Android ones, and our security reaches the entire stack.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:16:09 AM PDT
    Chen: We've created a patching mechanism that will address attacks a lot quicker than others to protect the customer. There are many safeguards and locks in place, but it's not foolproof 100%, nobody can say that.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:16:22 AM PDT
    Walt: Are you willing to say you have the most secure Android phone?
    DAN SEIFERT 9:16:54 AM PDT
    Chen: We're probably the same level as Samsung's Knox. The only other commercial phone that can say they have the same or better than us is maybe the BlackPhone.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:17:10 AM PDT
    (BlackPhone is the security-focused Android phone we've covered a bunch.)
    LAUREN GOODE 9:17:29 AM PDT

DAN SEIFERT 9:17:29 AM PDT
    Walt: Is becoming an Android phone maker a path to profitability?
    DAN SEIFERT 9:18:03 AM PDT
    Chen: Android in enterprise is a very underserved space. With our connection, our accounts, our knowhow, it has expanded our servable market.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:18:35 AM PDT
    Chen: I love BB10 and I win in the very high-end there. But the very high-end is not big. In order to make money in the handset business, I need to expand that pie.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:18:55 AM PDT
    Ina: Your costs are going to go up maintaining two platforms. Are you committed to BB10 or will it go away if Android does well?
    DAN SEIFERT 9:19:29 AM PDT
    Chen: We have two new releases of BB10 coming out to support government and high-security space.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:19:41 AM PDT
    Ina: Are there going to be new BB10 devices in a year or two from now?
    LAUREN GOODE 9:20:00 AM PDT

DAN SEIFERT 9:20:01 AM PDT
    Chen: Well that's going to be dictated by business choices.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:20:10 AM PDT
    He didn't really give a clear answer if we'll see more BB10 devices or not.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:20:35 AM PDT
    Ina: What is the time frame for making business with hardware?
    DAN SEIFERT 9:21:03 AM PDT
    Chen: Sometime next year we have to make our device business profitable, otherwise I have to rethink what I do there.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:21:33 AM PDT
    Chen: My job is to make sure the value of the company is protected and increases. We do what makes sense to serve the customer.
    LAUREN GOODE 9:21:34 AM PDT

DAN SEIFERT 9:22:13 AM PDT
    Chen: Even if I'm not in the handset business, getting into providing security for Android let's us provide solutions via software.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:22:39 AM PDT
    Walt: You're saying you can still do your security magic on other Android phones if you leave the handset biz?
    DAN SEIFERT 9:22:44 AM PDT
    Chen: Oh yes, certainly.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:23:31 AM PDT
    Chen: We've been doing very well increasing Android suppliers on our BES 12 platform. The purchase of Good helps us get more iOS suppliers on our platform.
    LAUREN GOODE 9:24:02 AM PDT

DAN SEIFERT 9:24:51 AM PDT
    Walt: Andy Rubin and others have a view that it's going to be a lot easier for handset makers to break into the US thanks to the changes with carriers. Do you agree?
    DAN SEIFERT 9:25:24 AM PDT
    Chen: Oh I agree, we're in a good position to take advantage of that.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:26:11 AM PDT
    Chen: I don't buy a new toaster and then call my energy company before I can use it.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:26:46 AM PDT
    Ina: With QNX, which became the heart of BB10, you also got a big automotive business. Is that doing well? Are you getting into the next gen of car systems?
    DAN SEIFERT 9:28:01 AM PDT
    Chen: The short answer is yes, we're doing very well. We helped Ford and Volkswagen directly, in other capacities our technology was used by other companies to build connected cars.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:28:40 AM PDT
    Chen: Cars right now have connectibility built in, but they're not really connected. We're focusing on how they can get connected in a secure way.
    LAUREN GOODE 9:29:11 AM PDT

DAN SEIFERT 9:29:16 AM PDT
    Q&A time!
    DAN SEIFERT 9:30:04 AM PDT
    Q: You pride yourself on the security your system has, but you're in lockstep with Samsung. Why don't you double down on handset security and beat Samsung?
    LAUREN GOODE 9:30:25 AM PDT

DAN SEIFERT 9:31:16 AM PDT
    A: We think we can be a standout by providing security to handsets even if we don't make them. That technology is also needed for our own IoT push.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:31:53 AM PDT
    Chen: I'm in the handset business because I believe there's a market and it's underserved. And the market wants security and control along with the apps.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:32:02 AM PDT
    Ina: So the phone's coming out later this year?
    DAN SEIFERT 9:32:24 AM PDT
    Chen: Yeah, later this year. We're working with carriers now.
    LAUREN GOODE 9:32:42 AM PDT

DAN SEIFERT 9:32:58 AM PDT
    Q: How do you see the customer, is it consumer or enterprise?
    DAN SEIFERT 9:33:38 AM PDT
    A: We need to prepare ourselves for consumer or enterprise bringing whatever device they want to bring in. Devices are not limited to handsets only, therefore we're building a software business that focuses on end-to-end security.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:34:50 AM PDT
    Chen: As far as the Priv is concerned, the audience goes beyond enterprises. But it will be focused on high-end privacy and productivity.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:35:00 AM PDT
    Ina: So high end price?
    DAN SEIFERT 9:35:07 AM PDT
    Chen: High end price, yeah.
    LAUREN GOODE 9:35:29 AM PDT

DAN SEIFERT 9:35:43 AM PDT
    Chen: We'll make the phone financially affordable to get, whether that's by installments or something else.
    DAN SEIFERT 9:35:51 AM PDT
    And that's it, thanks for tuning in!
    2015 Vox Media, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by m1kr0; 10-09-15 at 12:10 AM.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-08-15 01:59 PM
    Lol and yet they sell more phones....but Blackberry will be able to compete with them? It is the same story BB10...z10....q10...z3....z30...Classic...Passport .

At least Samsung has other divisions to fall back on. That is what I don't understand, most other android manufacturers struggle to make it and you guys think Blackberry will magically do it?
    Nice, vague dodge there. And you think that BlackBerry doesn't have other divisions but handsets? How naive. You must have missed the announcement that hardware sales were just 40% of revenues last quarter. Where do you think the other 60% came from?

Don't get me wrong about how well I think the Priv will do. But to suggest that Android as a whole is some biiig lucrative cash king for OEMs is either willfully misleading, or just ignorant. It (Android) is the new PC market and once/if the Chinese get better ins with carriers here, it will become more so.
    10-08-15 02:03 PM
    Nice, vague dodge there. And you think that BlackBerry doesn't have other divisions but handsets? How naive. You must have missed the announcement that hardware sales were just 40% of revenues last quarter. Where do you think the other 60% came from?

Don't get me wrong about how well I think the Priv will do. But to suggest that Android as a whole is some biiig lucrative cash king for OEMs is either willfully misleading, or just ignorant. It (Android) is the new PC market and once/if the Chinese get better ins with carriers here, it will become more so.
    How is that a dodge? Do they sell more phones? Samsung shipped 81 million phones last quarter. It isn't a lucrative cash king, that is the point...but Samsung has it chips and displays to fall back on. It isn't a cash king, that is why Chen said today at Re/code...if we aren't profitable in a year they will more than likely drop hardware.
    10-08-15 02:14 PM
    Every phone I see nowadays is a full touch device...what's so special about the same phone that everyone is carrying whether it's Samsung, apple, HTC, LG or whoever else wants to make another slab phone?
    Why do you thing that is the case? Because 99.99% of the population want's an all touch phone. Believe me, if there was a perceived demand for PKB phones, companies like Samsung, Motorola, LG etc. would be all over it. I'm sure the big phone manufacturers know what everyone wants and they are meeting that demand.
    10-08-15 02:28 PM
    Why do you thing that is the case? Because 99.99% of the population want's an all touch phone. Believe me, if there was a perceived demand for PKB phones, companies like Samsung, Motorola, LG etc. would be all over it. I'm sure the big phone manufacturers know what everyone wants and they are meeting that demand.
    Well I guess since most people drive automatics we should just get rid of manual transmissions. Screw the people who prefer the control they give them since the majority have spoken.

How can anyone not love virtual keyboards taking up half the screen when up.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 02:39 PM
    I know it isn't 5 million per year. If they sell more than 1 million per quarter I will be shocked.
    So you know more than Chen? he said 5 million Android handsets to break-even. They sold 800k BB10 handsets last quarter, so I don't see how a much popular android device can be much worse.
    10-08-15 02:41 PM
    The average consumer has no idea what OS they are running. People identify with the brand and not the underlying OS. I've heard people make statements like"It's a Samsung." when asked if their phone has Android.

The average consumer doesn't know what the specs of a phone mean. They buy on recommendation of a friend or some high-level review found online.

And the average consumer wants a phone that will allow them to use apps that all their friends use.

The average consumer has gotten used to a VKB, but still wrestles with it. There's a reason that "Damned autocorrect" has become a part of our vernacular.

The reviews of BB10 devices, from the beginning, have basically said that the OS is nice, but it lacks "critical" apps - that the average consumer is looking for.

The average consumer will have no idea that the OS has changed under the hood. They will simply see the Priv as a new BlackBerry that now allows them to use their apps. They will also see a device that's different from all the others. A device that doesn't look like a slight bump up from the prior generation device, but rather a radical change from prior BB10 devices. And, most importantly, a device that carriers will be displaying and showing off.

Here, on CB, we're too focused on the trees. The average consumer sees the entire forest! I've been amazed at the excitement generated among the Android sites about the Priv. It will be available on all carriers. The new Win10 phones will still lack the app ecosystem and probably be an ATT exclusive. The new Samsung. HTC, LG, Nexus, and others don't offer anything significant and compelling for average consumers with last generation hardware to update. The Priv provides this, the option to use a touch-sensitive PKB, and an opportunity to return to BlackBerry - a company that people trusted with their data in a time where security has become a huge pain point.

Just sayin'...

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    DueNorthBB and CyberMan2013 like this.
    10-08-15 02:42 PM
    Yes they are. There are demands for physical keyboards.

Samsung is making a physical keyboard accessory:
    Samsung resurrects the dream of a hardware keyboard | The Verge

Most Android based physical keyboards are horizontal (not vertical). Not sure if it is because of BlackBerry patents:
    Top 7 Android smartphones with physical QWERTY keyboards - The Droid Guy

Actually the problem is that most of the mobile OS does NOT support PKB well. BB10 would probably be the only one (keyboard short cuts, etc.). The key would be how BlackBerry will tweak the Android OS to better support physical keyboard better than the competitors.

Will there be buyers of the Priv? Yes. Would it be higher then BB10? Yes (just by the potential marketshare). How much higher? Not sure, but it is the best chance of saving BlackBerry's hardware division.
    10-08-15 02:43 PM

Most Android based physical keyboards are horizontal (not vertical). Not sure if it is because of BlackBerry patents:
    Interesting (though dated) article, but not sure it supports your argument. From the first paragraph: "Flagship physical QWERTY phones are long gone, and they’re not coming back." (I thought I had to have a PKB, but I'm not sure I could go back to my Q10 after my Z30. My wife loves her Q5, though.)
    10-08-15 03:42 PM
    Yup the writing is on the wall. BB10 is most likely not be released on new hardware. Since I don't care for either Android or iOS, that there Windows Phone is looking mighty nice.

BBOS and BB10 where operating systems I enjoyed using. Hardware basically didnt matter to me (I loved my Storm2). Android is not the answer for BB customers, its just an answer to stem the cash bleed in hardware until they can move on from it.
    10-08-15 04:04 PM
    Well I guess since most people drive automatics we should just get rid of manual transmissions. Screw the people who prefer the control they give them since the majority have spoken.

Posted via CB10
    In the context of profitability, and thus sustainability, of a given technology, that is precisely what it means. The market, not sentiment or nostalgia, dictates what is available and any firm offering goods to the public, which is the market, must produce according to the tastes and sentiments of the market, insofar as those preferences drive sales. To do otherwise is suicidal, as BBRY found out with some bitterness.
    10-08-15 04:04 PM

Samsung is making a physical keyboard accessory:
    Samsung resurrects the dream of a hardware keyboard | The Verge

Actually the problem is that most of the mobile OS does NOT support PKB well. BB10 would probably be the only one (keyboard short cuts, etc.). The key would be how BlackBerry will tweak the Android OS to better support physical keyboard better than the competitors.

Will there be buyers of the Priv? Yes. Would it be higher then BB10? Yes (just by the potential marketshare). How much higher? Not sure, but it is the best chance of saving BlackBerry's hardware division.
    But what is the price point and does said price point reflect the brand position of BBRY. I'm amazed that I keep having to say it. All things being equal, there may very well be some small percentage of consumer users that find PKBs attractive. As an aside, an important question is: what percentage of those consumers exists outside of the current BBRY user base or recent defectors? If the PKB is something so beloved and attractive, it can't be very many, else the limitations of the BBRY's mobile platform would be mitigated by the hardware advantages coupled with BB10's productivity advantages.

Disregarding that, all things are not equal. BBRY, among the broader, mobile market is either a non-entity at best and a negative at worst.
    10-08-15 04:11 PM
    I'm amazed that I keep having to say it. All things being equal, there may very well be some small percentage of consumer users that find PKBs attractive. As an aside, an important question is: what percentage of those consumers exists outside of the current BBRY user base or recent defectors? If the PKB is something so beloved and attractive, it can't be very many, else the limitations of the BBRY's mobile platform would be mitigated by the hardware advantages coupled with BB10's productivity advantages.
    It isn't the PKB that is killing BB or destroying it's sales. Its the lack of the app ecosystem.
    10-08-15 04:55 PM
    It isn't the PKB that is killing BB or destroying it's sales. Its the lack of the app ecosystem.
    I agree completely. I'm addressing the contention, espoused by some, that a PKB is a sufficient advantageous differentiator to drive sales of the Priv, a contention which I find foolish from a market perspective.
    10-08-15 05:09 PM
    But what is the price point and does said price point reflect the brand position of BBRY. I'm amazed that I keep having to say it. All things being equal, there may very well be some small percentage of consumer users that find PKBs attractive. As an aside, an important question is: what percentage of those consumers exists outside of the current BBRY user base or recent defectors? If the PKB is something so beloved and attractive, it can't be very many, else the limitations of the BBRY's mobile platform would be mitigated by the hardware advantages coupled with BB10's productivity advantages.

Disregarding that, all things are not equal. BBRY, among the broader, mobile market is either a non-entity at best and a negative at worst.
    Think about it in another way, how many of the Android marketspace users are NOT a BlackBerry user? A lot of people.

Why do people hate BlackBerry phones? I really doubt it is because of their hardware design or quality. It is mainly because of their software (OS) limitations. It is kind of why people pick any other Android over Nokia... eco-system. Nokia made good phones. People don't hate Nokia phones, they don't like the OS (Windows Phone).

So when you have a lot of "Android" people, who doesn't really hate BlackBerry phones available to purchase their product, you have a larger pool of people to target and likely get more sales.

THIS will be BlackBerry's competition:
    The best Android phones of 2015 | Android Central's definitive list!

Is the Priv much worse than any of those Android phones?

I don't think so. You get a physical keyboard, good battery life, BlackBerry productivity suite (HUB) and good security (as good as Samsung Knox).

Is BlackBerry name more tarnished then LG or HTC?

I don't think so. As a smartphone, the name resonate with users more than LG or HTC. Within the smartphone community, BlackBerry name is as known as Apple, Samsung, Nokia and Motorola.

Apple continues to gain ground in US smartphone market as Android shrinks

So let's put it this way, IF BlackBerry can get as much sales as HTC for Android. It could almost TRIPLE its current marketshare. HTC 3.4% ... BlackBerry 1.2%.

If 1.2% is about 800k BB10 phones a quarter, if it triples, it will be more than 2 million. More than enough to make the hardware division profitable (5 million goal).

Will it be an easy task to get there? No. Is it impossible? Also No. We shall see.
    10-08-15 05:20 PM
    So you know more than Chen? he said 5 million Android handsets to break-even. They sold 800k BB10 handsets last quarter, so I don't see how a much popular android device can be much worse.
    10 million on BB10 to break even, 5 million on Android...

How much is Qualcomm charging for those BB10 chipset drivers, lol.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    10-08-15 06:23 PM
    I know it isn't 5 million per year. If they sell more than 1 million per quarter I will be shocked.
    With just the Priv, I agree; but, if they have other Android handsets down the pipeline (esp. at different price points), Blackberry could probably make the goal.
    10-08-15 07:04 PM
    It looks to me like BlackBerry is just throwing poo against the wall to see if anything sticks. If I want an Android phone I'll buy one. From Motorola, Samsung, etc. IMHO, without the BlackBerry OS a phone just isn't a BlackBerry. I don't see the Priv going anywhere, but that's just an opinion.
    lift and theboogeyman like this.
    10-08-15 07:26 PM
    When I read the writing it says:

"If the Priv sells well and makes profits, BlackBerry 10 is dead other than support/patches for devices in the field".

"If the Priv bombs BlackBerry is done with hardware. BlackBerry 10 is still dead".
    What if they can't secure Android as well as BB10? Would there be enough Enterprise customers to drive more expensive BB10 devices?
    10-08-15 07:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think this is something to think about. Slabs, of which I have one, don't allow use of the full screen when the keyboard pops up. With a sliding keyboard, this could be a differentiator, allowing the user to access the full screen along with a keyboard. Hmmmm?
    10-08-15 08:17 PM
    I think this is something to think about. Slabs, of which I have one, don't allow use of the full screen when the keyboard pops up. With a sliding keyboard, this could be a differentiator, allowing the user to access the full screen along with a keyboard. Hmmmm?
    On something the size of the Z10, it's an issue. On the phablet size phones, which actually sell, there is plenty of real estate to see what you're composing.
    10-08-15 08:24 PM
    If you want to buy an Android phone, buy the one that suits your need. Don't buy it because it is a Blackberry Android. There is nothing special about it. Chen has no clue how to run a company that requires outside developers to be successful. He also doesn't know how to run a company in the consumer space. BlackBerry will be no more successful with Android than with BB10.
    Priv has qwerty and hub. No one else has these things. They are both things I love.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    10-08-15 08:40 PM
    The average consumer doesn't know what the specs of a phone mean. They buy on recommendation of a friend or some high-level review found online.
    You would be surprised, but they actually know something... the problem is that they just know "higher is better". The average consumer wants the phone with the most amount of cores, and the camera with more megapixels. Even if the processor is chinese crap, and the camera is rubish, they think is good because it has higher numbers.

Even suposedly "educated" people do this kind of mistakes. Just look at all the "educated" Android fanboys talking how Iphones are way less powerfull than their androids just because it has less ram, and runs a dual core at lower Ghz... Yet their androids gets beaten badly in most benchmarks and real world use by the "weak" dual core. Apple processors might only have 2 cores, but those 2 cores have some muscle on it. Same with the camera...
    10-08-15 08:48 PM
104 12345