I got a car phone in 1986. I got my first PCS phone ca. 1999. Nokia Symbian OS, some ATT phone. Then I discovered the Nokia Communicator series, ohmigod, I was in love. The 9290 is still my favorite phone, although obviously way outdated now. Horizontal flip phone, calendar, document writing,big keyboard, could connect with my ISP server directly for internet, FAX!, ebooks, you name it. It was the original Smart Phone. All Steve Jobs did is add a touchscreen instead of a directional pad.

I went to a Nokia 810 with Windows Mobile 8 in 2014, I think. I HATED the fact that I could no longer use Nokia Ovi to own everything onto my PC. But what could I do? Nothing. Comply. "Yes, Mistress." Then the Nokia 925, then an Alcatel running Windows Phone 10 but it didn't have Glance, and the Microsoft branded 950XL which I've been using for two years. I LOVE the interface, the Live Tiles, the easy to use navigation. I think of it as a Tesla versus Android and iPhone Yugos. If you've not used it, don't weigh in.

But time marches on and WP is reaching End of Life in January, along with Windows 7, which I still use on the Mothership. No reason to change. I was greatly encouraged to see that MS is strongly supporting Android with many apps. So I took the dive and bought this Priv. I've recently been considering an iPhone because, mostly, to my knowledge Apple is more secure and not selling my data. But being Blackberry, I felt more secure, and holy moly, a REAL keyboard. Ironically, I've found the virtual KB much better than my WP, but I intend to start using the real deal soon.

I am truly trying to keep an open mind. I know things will be different. Connecting to my PC was a nightmare, unlike WP. But I got 'er done. WTF, Android, why is this no easier than my Kit Kat phone I briefly owned? In fact, harder because I had to figure how to become a "developer" with connection options.

I digress. The biggest issue I have before I can put my SIM into this phone to be my daily driver has to do with Speech to Text. It works great on a third party app like Bing or Cortana. I confess that I shut off a lot of Google apps, but even turning them back on hasn't helped. I have gone back to the BB Launcher, although I love the MS one and the Square Home one. The latter, almost Windows Phone! Right now Voice to Text works on SMS, but not on email, for instance, and third party apps.

Problem 2: I can't edit my address book. Although I could edit my own, my name, address book! I've looked on Google Contacts for some switch to flip but I can't see anything.

There are other head banging things, but these are the biggies.

Any suggestions?
    11-21-19 07:09 PM
    For speech to work it's best in Android... you have to start out with the Google Assistant.

Hey Google send an email to Bob Smith, wait for the prompt and then dictate what you want.... it's just a different process than how BB10 worked.

Contacts.... you really wouldn't be using Google Contacts but the BlackBerry Contact App? Which is setup as the default?
    11-22-19 09:47 AM
    For speech to work it's best in Android... you have to start out with the Google Assistant.

Hey Google send an email to Bob Smith, wait for the prompt and then dictate what you want.... it's just a different process than how BB10 worked.

Contacts.... you really wouldn't be using Google Contacts but the BlackBerry Contact App? Which is setup as the default?
    Thanks for your thoughts, but I think they miss my questions. Why does STT work in some apps and not others? I have no knowledge of BB10, never used it. I can't keep straight what apps are Google, and what are BB, to be honest. Like Contacts. Regardless, the issue is trying to edit any one of them.

But I think this is all moot. Four days in and I'm giving up on the Priv. Battery discharged to shut the phone off overnight!
    11-22-19 10:22 AM
    Thanks for your thoughts, but I think they miss my questions. Why does STT work in some apps and not others? I have no knowledge of BB10, never used it. I can't keep straight what apps are Google, and what are BB, to be honest. Like Contacts. Regardless, the issue is trying to edit any one of them.

But I think this is all moot. Four days in and I'm giving up on the Priv. Battery discharged to shut the phone off overnight!
    Going forward, to make things easier.....

1) Buy a phone that others around you are using so you can get help and tips from them on it's use.

2) Buy a "current phone".... buying a phone that's already "outdated" can lead to issues like battery problems or software that is behind the times.

3) Buy a phone from a major manufacture where all the apps work together. Apple, Google or Samsung.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-26-19 11:23 AM

To echo DDD, I would suggest flagship Android/iOS device. Better support even for the MS apps that seem to be gaining traction with the MS aspects of true Android support plus acceptance.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-26-19 03:03 PM
    Going forward, to make things easier.....

1) Buy a phone that others around you are using so you can get help and tips from them on it's use.

2) Buy a "current phone".... buying a phone that's already "outdated" can lead to issues like battery problems or software that is behind the times.

3) Buy a phone from a major manufacture where all the apps work together. Apple, Google or Samsung.
    I appreciate your input, but all are none starters for me. From most friends don't know squat about their phones to not being able to afford new ones, generally. But, thanks!
    11-26-19 09:11 PM