Don't get me wrong, I love the form factor and the slider mechanism is a work of genius but it seemed that BlackBerry put so much effort into the chassis of the phone they ran out of time, money and/or energy to make Android run properly on it.
    I 100% agree with the way you put it. And worst of all, they didn't take the time to do early testing on the 808 to find out what a crappy chipset it is.

Either way, if BBMo knocks on Sammy's door to get AMOLED panels for the KEY3, I wouldn't miss the Priv as much.
    07-04-18 06:58 AM
    I know 2 people who have Privs and after their experiences with the device I would have to say absolutely no way would I buy one. Both had major overheating and lag issues and one had the red stripe down the right hand side of the screen defect that some others have reported too. The person with the screen issues just told me over the weekend that the speaker has now failed and it doesn't even ring or audibly alert her to messages and is now actively shopping for a new 4/64 KEYone.

Don't get me wrong, I love the form factor and the slider mechanism is a work of genius but it seemed that BlackBerry put so much effort into the chassis of the phone they ran out of time, money and/or energy to make Android run properly on it.

No matter how cheap it is, I'd take that money and put it toward a new KEYone, KEY2, or Motion.
    Wow, a whole two people. Oh, and Android runs very well on my Priv. If there is an issue, it is an app causing the problem.

I am not going to say I would tell someone to buy one new now, since it is EOL, that comes down to a personal decision, but I am completely happy with mine and will continue to use it.
    07-04-18 02:32 PM
    Wow, a whole two people. Oh, and Android runs very well on my Priv. If there is an issue, it is an app causing the problem.

I am not going to say I would tell someone to buy one new now, since it is EOL, that comes down to a personal decision, but I am completely happy with mine and will continue to use it.
    Yep 2 people that I personally know. Oh but wait, what about the hundreds of threads about the Priv's issues here at CB? All of the issues the people I know have had are quite common, just read the forums; it's got to a point that if someone has a good one, and some do exist, I would suggest they should have it framed.

Perhaps you could suggest the over heating and lag issues are due to apps, but for so many people experiencing the same issues and no amount of tweaking has seemingly been able to fix them, I would say it's the Priv's optimisation that's the common thread here. I also highly doubt that app issues caused the screen's red line on the right side flaw.
    07-04-18 03:10 PM
    The PRIV lasts about 1/2 as long as KEYone with same usage. I own both devices and purchased them both through AT&T. The PRIV with Marshmallow is about optimized as you get without individual tweaking and that just places different limitations in other areas.

It's similar to Passport compared to PRIV. I was amazed how long my Passport could go compared with my PRIV. That wasn't optimization but inability to efficiently use the Passport as much as the PRIV. I relied heavily on LG G2 at time. Battery life between G2 and PRIV were comparable, but I used PRIV more and got little more done.

All next generation devices are usually improvements over predecessors for the most part. That's generally the business model with successful OS.
    07-04-18 03:52 PM
    The PRIV lasts about 1/2 as long as KEYone with same usage. I own both devices and purchased them both through AT&T. The PRIV with Marshmallow is about optimized as you get without individual tweaking and that just places different limitations in other areas.

It's similar to Passport compared to PRIV. I was amazed how long my Passport could go compared with my PRIV. That wasn't optimization but inability to efficiently use the Passport as much as the PRIV. I relied heavily on LG G2 at time. Battery life between G2 and PRIV were comparable, but I used PRIV more and got little more done.

All next generation devices are usually improvements over predecessors for the most part. That's generally the business model with successful OS.
    After owning a few KEYones and Privs, I can tell you that the Priv's battery can largely vary based on the usage and how optimized you make it. No need to go over all the tweaking needed to make it achieve a consistent 5 hours SOT such as downgrading res to 1080x1920, turning on location only when needed, turning Bluetooth when not needed, using wi-fi in low coverage areas, turning off alot of Google stuff, background synching, turning off Hub etc etc...
    07-05-18 04:44 AM
    After owning a few KEYones and Privs, I can tell you that the Priv's battery can largely vary based on the usage and how optimized you make it. No need to go over all the tweaking needed to make it achieve a consistent 5 hours SOT such as downgrading res to 1080x1920, turning on location only when needed, turning Bluetooth when not needed, using wi-fi in low coverage areas, turning off alot of Google stuff, background synching, turning off Hub etc etc...
    I know you and others have done all types of settings adjustments. My point was simply device factory settings compared between the various devices. Same adjustments equally across should yield improvements across the devices. Simply put that PRIV was a first gen device, KEYone is second gen and Key2 third gen.
    07-05-18 06:00 AM
    I wouldn't buy a Priv today with the K1 out there.
    07-05-18 06:33 AM
    I 100% agree with the way you put it. And worst of all, they didn't take the time to do early testing on the 808 to find out what a crappy chipset it is.

Either way, if BBMo knocks on Sammy's door to get AMOLED panels for the KEY3, I wouldn't miss the Priv as much.
    There was no time to wait for another SoC and still release in 2015. It was unfortunate timing but all of Qualcomm's top end was garbage that year. If they had released earlier with the 820 it would have been even worse.
    07-05-18 06:36 AM
    Tough to answer. I like the many of the pix. Loved the screen.

So many problems with charging and over heating (something it started to do after a software update). Not sure they really know what they are doing.. BB needs a new software person

So... yes, and no. I almost bought another one but no more updates so forget that.

And not to mention... they didn't honour the warranty so my son could not get his phone fixed. Thankfully, it's not that bad.
    07-05-18 06:39 AM
    My Priv has aged (problems with usb charge port and battery). I have the option to buy an unused Priv for 2r9 € or buy a new KEYone 3 GB for 349€
    I really like the screen quality of the Priv and the slider concept. Would you still buy a new Priv today (knowing there are no more security updates)?
    No way. Waste of money. It's a beautiful device but not worth the problems. If it had a better CPU (maybe some older Snap 801 or so), it would had worked nearly the same but with much better power management and without heating. In that case, it would had been a fine choice even in these days.
    07-05-18 07:08 AM
    There was no time to wait for another SoC and still release in 2015. It was unfortunate timing but all of Qualcomm's top end was garbage that year. If they had released earlier with the 820 it would have been even worse.
    Even a 6xx series chipset from that generation or even the Passport's 801 would have been preferable.

Better to have some people whine about the processor than to have mass returns due to heat issues
    07-05-18 07:08 AM
    I know you and others have done all types of settings adjustments. My point was simply device factory settings compared between the various devices. Same adjustments equally across should yield improvements across the devices. Simply put that PRIV was a first gen device, KEYone is second gen and Key2 third gen.
    Absolutely have to agree that out of the box, for a simple customer who doesn't know/want to get into tweaking and wants to heavily rely on Google, location, mass synching and all that processor heavy stuff, the Priv just isn't suited.

Like Mr Mobile said in his review re-do of the phone, the Priv makes a great project. Learn to master it despite its weaknesses and you can get serviceable performance and battery life. That's about it.

That said, I just ordered my 5th Priv on ebay lol. I keep buying them and re-selling them and then finding out I miss the OLED so I buy another...

KEY2 still on the radar, just need Zack (JerryRigEverything) to get his destructive hands on one already!
    07-05-18 07:11 AM
    Absolutely have to agree that out of the box, for a simple customer who doesn't know/want to get into tweaking and wants to heavily rely on Google, location, mass synching and all that processor heavy stuff, the Priv just isn't suited.

Like Mr Mobile said in his review re-do of the phone, the Priv makes a great project. Learn to master it despite its weaknesses and you can get serviceable performance and battery life. That's about it.

That said, I just ordered my 5th Priv on ebay lol. I keep buying them and re-selling them and then finding out I miss the OLED so I buy another...

KEY2 still on the radar, just need Zack (JerryRigEverything) to get his destructive hands on one already!
    I’m Simple Customer. Everybody knows on here, I’m not an IT guy. The KEYone is fine and will be until the Key2 is refined and AT&T carrier sold and supported including Wifi calling this go around.
    the_boon likes this.
    07-05-18 07:16 AM
    No dispute there. The KeyOne and KeyTwo are completely different than the Priv though. For people who like the full screen, and like a PKB, the Priv is the only game in town.
    07-05-18 12:16 PM
    No dispute there. The KeyOne and KeyTwo are completely different than the Priv though. For people who like the full screen, and like a PKB, the Priv is the only game in town.
    Right. Not a lot is important to me (like games and security updates). If i get this one wet again like my first one earlier this year I will buy yet another Priv. It's just something about a phone that's not ugly in 2018 AND has a SLIDE-OUT keyboard. Call me superficial, casue I am!! js..
    PHughes likes this.
    07-08-18 12:05 AM
    I've been a Windows Phone user for like 7 years, and just switched over this month to a PRIV I got for $90. Basically from my experience the past month, if you can snag it for around that price it's worth it, but if you're going to go too much higher you may as well dip into that low Keyone range.
    07-08-18 03:32 AM
    I would rather fall from a building and hope my eye lash catches a nail on the way down then buy a PRIV again
    07-08-18 03:39 AM
    Yep 2 people that I personally know. Oh but wait, what about the hundreds of threads about the Priv's issues here at CB? All of the issues the people I know have had are quite common, just read the forums; it's got to a point that if someone has a good one, and some do exist, I would suggest they should have it framed.

Perhaps you could suggest the over heating and lag issues are due to apps, but for so many people experiencing the same issues and no amount of tweaking has seemingly been able to fix them, I would say it's the Priv's optimisation that's the common thread here. I also highly doubt that app issues caused the screen's red line on the right side flaw.
    It was a garbage phone
    07-08-18 03:44 AM
    It was a garbage phone
    I wouldn't quite say that, the idea was sound. I do honestly believe that the switch from BB10 to Android in the midst of development didn't help things.
    07-08-18 07:15 AM
    I wouldn't quite say that, the idea was sound. I do honestly believe that the switch from BB10 to Android in the midst of development didn't help things.
    Not to mention Qualcomm's piece of c*** 808 processor
    07-08-18 09:47 AM
    I would rather fall from a building and hope my eye lash catches a nail on the way down then buy a PRIV again
    Thanks for your deep insight.
    the_boon likes this.
    07-08-18 01:11 PM
    I would never buy the PRIV again. Too many issues to list. God forbid I have an emergency and the PRIV is my only option to call 911. It'd take 5 minutes just to get it to dial!
    A Noise Annoys likes this.
    07-11-18 01:52 PM
    Absolutely - MUST have the keyboard and larger screen- only available in sleek comfortable hand size of the Priv. Passport too large, Key has smaller screen. Millennials ask to see my sleek phone with slider feature. Please bring back the Priv!
    07-13-18 02:22 PM
    but the Priv felt PREMIUM and the KEYᴼᴺᴱ feels like a toy to me
    07-14-18 04:37 AM
    but the Priv felt PREMIUM and the KEYᴼᴺᴱ feels like a toy to me
    That’s because the PRIV felt like it weighed twice as much and had the built-in heater that’s not offered with KEYone or Key2.
    the_boon likes this.
    07-14-18 09:04 AM
62 123