03-25-17 09:04 PM
48 12
tools
    I would only recommend it to someone who needs a physical keyboard. That is the number one reason why I got one. A person looking for a physical keyboard can hold out for the keyone.

The other reason why I got the priv is because of the price. I got the best of both worlds (pkb and nice display) for half the price. It's was just a good bargain that I couldn't pass up any longer. Glad I got one.
    Last edited by tfitzpat03; 03-19-17 at 08:48 PM.
    03-19-17 06:12 PM
    This is my first blackberry phone and I love this phone. I had Samsung phones prior to this and have several other phones for work, but the PRIV is my personal daily use phone. I use it a lot and hope it lasts as long as my Samsung phones did.

I am not one that changes phones on a regular basis, so I plan on keeping a phone for 3 to 5 years, so I have to love the phone.
    03-20-17 05:24 PM
    After several days on my Priv, I can honestly say... I like it. It's not as integrated as the BB10 experience is, but it's neat. The phone is fast and the battery life is fair to good. Having the option of virtual and physical is also nice, although I find myself using the virtual much more and the physical just as a scrolling track pad.

One irony I found though and I think regardless of which OS you prefer, you'll find this interesting...I had an app on my Passport called Divine Office for prayer and I can't find the app in the Google Play store. Alas... I've lost an app! Go figure!

Priv is a very nice device. Thanks to everyone who responded.
    03-20-17 07:37 PM
    Great phone, except battery is so so. Have to charge around 3pm (on at 6:30am). Bluetooth always on due to Pebble watch connection. Around 300 emails per day, 5mins FB, numerous WhatsApp and 5mins YouTube, 30mins Spotify. Charge again at 11pm.
    03-20-17 08:09 PM
    Only reason I'm considering getting a Priv on sale now instead of waiting for a KeyOne is the AMOLED screen.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-17 05:46 PM
    Used a Priv until the dtek60 came out. It's a great device .
    03-21-17 07:34 PM
    There are better full touch phones (DTEK60, etc.) and there will soon be a better keyboard phone (KEYone). Unless one is permanently stuck in niche between the two just go with whichever input method is better.
    But the DTEK is $200-$250 more. Priv good value under $300.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 11:45 AM
    So many factors determine whether a Priv would be a good purchase or not at this stage in the cycle. If one is looking for a flagship phone that is a year into its cycle for a very reasonable price of under $300, then the Priv is a great purchase.

But if you want the latest and greatest, then waiting until the KEYone is released may be worth the extra money, especially if you want a pkb.
    03-22-17 04:07 PM
    I just paid £270 for my priv and had it been around that price on launch I think it would have sold 2-3x more.

It's a great device overall. Its crying out for a fingerprint scanner but the KeyOne will answer those calls.

Battery life is good on the priv. It drops quickly when using apps but for texts and calls it lasts well for most low to medium usage.

If you find one for a similar price to me, get on!!
    03-22-17 04:24 PM
    I just paid £270 for my priv and had it been around that price on launch I think it would have sold 2-3x more.
    lol. You do realize how unreasonable that price would have been? It cost some 100-150 less than Galaxy S6 Edge and a bit more than Nexus 6P, but neither of those had expandable storage. Or a keyboard, obviously.

Which phone had a 5+" QHD AMOLED, an 808 or a better CPU, 3 GB of RAM and a PKB for less money?
    Kyle Montanaro likes this.
    03-23-17 08:12 AM
    The Passport is a brilliant little phone, switching to the priv will be slightly annoying physically cause of the smaller keys. Software-wise I personally felt relieved to be finally on an android again so it differs between one person and another. For me, who used to run a lot of android apps on the passport, I've seen battery life improving drastically because the passport's Android runtime drained the battery all the time.

It's a real pity no one ever put an Android OS on the passport, i wouldn't have bought the Priv. But nonetheless, i have a Priv and i dont think there's any phone out there i would swap my priv with.

Just a few heads up: get something to protect the screen with. Even after replacing screens myself for years on other phones, the cheapest replacement screen for the priv might rip you a new arsehole.

Secondly, the screen on the priv is going to be dimmer than the nice, ample LCD of the passport, you're going to find out that to get the same brightness on the passport, you're going to have to ram that brightness slider all the way up, and then some. Also, auto brightness, although ok, it's not as good asd the passport's.

Enjoy
    FF22 likes this.
    03-23-17 09:26 AM
    If very tempted to get this phone because I just can't afford the KEYone. Sadly in Ireland mobile network providers have forgotten about BlackBerry so no contract subsidies are being offered! I'm just concerned about people's complaints. What if I got a lemon? I'd be pretty disappointed. I love my Passport but it just doesn't run the android apps I like with the speed I want. I love Onenote for example and it's just not as speed as I'd like. Also the 4.3 runtime has prevented me from installing certain apps I want. I am very happy with it bar this - oh and the weakass WiFi.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-17 05:40 PM
    There are better full touch phones (DTEK60, etc.) and there will soon be a better keyboard phone (KEYone). Unless one is permanently stuck in niche between the two just go with whichever input method is better.
    There's a pretty good handful of us who want the big full screen and a PKB. I guess that makes makes us niche? I'm pretty sure there will be a sizable number switching from Priv to K1, who will regret it. That Priv screen is hard to give up! Even with it's flaws, the Priv is the best of both worlds, (yeah, I know, it's also the only of both worlds).
    Mirko935 and FF22 like this.
    03-24-17 06:16 AM
    There's a pretty good handful of us who want the big full screen and a PKB. I guess that makes makes us niche? I'm pretty sure there will be a sizable number switching from Priv to K1, who will regret it. That Priv screen is hard to give up! Even with it's flaws, the Priv is the best of both worlds, (yeah, I know, it's also the only of both worlds).
    The "only of both worlds" makes this device so great. BlackBerry's vkb is really really good. So is the pkb. And that is to say nothing about the large amoled screen. It's a great device and the way they have secured it, support Android is so much better than BB10 support.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-24-17 09:26 AM
    I gave up the PKB for not murdering the battery and burning a hole through my hand, seems like a good trade to me. Couldn't justify rest of the phone over PKB.
    werkregen likes this.
    03-24-17 12:56 PM
    If very tempted to get this phone because I just can't afford the KEYone. Sadly in Ireland mobile network providers have forgotten about BlackBerry so no contract subsidies are being offered! I'm just concerned about people's complaints. What if I got a lemon? I'd be pretty disappointed. I love my Passport but it just doesn't run the android apps I like with the speed I want. I love Onenote for example and it's just not as speed as I'd like. Also the 4.3 runtime has prevented me from installing certain apps I want. I am very happy with it bar this - oh and the weakass WiFi.

Posted via CB10
    Get the Priv you will not regret it. Have had mine for 6 months now and like it more and more every day. Have zero issues with it and im a heavy user.
    03-24-17 01:31 PM
    Get the Priv you will not regret it. Have had mine for 6 months now and like it more and more every day. Have zero issues with it and im a heavy user.
    Cheers man I might just do that

Posted via CB10
    03-24-17 02:26 PM
    Cheers man I might just do that

Posted via CB10
    If you want both the BlackBerry suite of apps (Hub, Calendar, BBM, to name three) plus the Android apps to run as they were intended, plus the confidence that Android is secured and regular monthly updates, then the Priv is the phone you want.

The BlackBerry virtual keyboard is the best of all that are available in my opinion. And the Physical keyboard is great as well. I also came from the Passport and it hardly takes any time to get used to the pkb.

Frankly, you can't beat the price.
    03-24-17 02:33 PM

Frankly, you can't beat the price.
    Thanks. It's great to hear good feedback. But I haven't seen a low enough price for me! In the UK/Ireland. The price on Shop BlackBerry UK is still too high for my budget. I might look further afield in Europe. Mind you I haven't exactly looked very hard. Btw do you know do those AT&T Privs get the monthly security updates and Marshmallow from BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    03-24-17 04:04 PM
    Thanks. It's great to hear good feedback. But I haven't seen a low enough price for me! In the UK/Ireland. The price on Shop BlackBerry UK is still too high for my budget. I might look further afield in Europe. Mind you I haven't exactly looked very hard. Btw do you know do those AT&T Privs get the monthly security updates and Marshmallow from BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    Good question. If you are buying from an individual, you're playing with fire. If you are buying from Amazon, or Car Phone Warehouse, your odds are better.
    03-24-17 04:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Got mine from Carphone Warehouse for £299 when the price fell in late November. Fantastic phone for that price. Although its no longer on the CPW website, when I was in their Selfridges Oxford Street store a few weeks ago, they did still have it on display and in stock at that price.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-25-17 10:56 AM
    I'm still using one as a daily driver and I could go on and on why I don't like. The short version:

- underwhelming build quality
    - **** pkb
    - slower than HTC One M8 with LineageOS

Posted via CB10
    03-25-17 07:35 PM
    I think the pkb is great. Ive been using the passport for two years and I think the priv has a really wonderful keyboard. I don't think I understand that complaint.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-25-17 09:04 PM
48 12