Considering the Priv as my first foray into Android. Currently using a Passport for the last year. I really like the Passport. It's a great daily driver. I've had a Q10 and a Z10 and several Curves before that. Is the Priv a good replacement/choice?

As much as I like a physical keyboard, the option to have both is appealing because a physical keyboard has a drawback I always run into...and that is they begin to fail. For example, the 'B' key on my Passport is starting to stick.

Would you recommend the Priv as a daily driver?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    03-11-17 08:01 AM
    I used a Priv as a daily driver until the DTEK60 came out. I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Keep in mind that it's a bit hefty, but the screen is nice and the pkb is decent.
    03-11-17 08:06 AM
    Android will take getting use to!

The smaller keyboard with less up/down travel will also take getting use to be there are a number of Passport-Priv converts and they say they adapted after a short period. I've had it just about a year this week from Verizon and not run into anything unexpected. Although I am not using the pkb as much as I expected. There's a recent Thread on Statistics/Percentage and some folks are really using the pbk.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-11-17 09:40 AM
    I would definitely recommend the Priv. I rotate phones... one week with Priv and one week with the DTEK 60. Get Priv if you do not care about the phone being a little slow to open apps. This does not bother me a bit...what is a extra second for an app to open? Sub-par front camera. If money is no objective...wait for the Keyone, which will be faster, Nougat out of the box and allegedly better cameras. I love the Priv...knock on wood, my Priv has been running great, with good battery life. The Priv will draw a crowd with people asking "What kind of phone is that...it is cool!". My Dtek 60 runs great and is faster than the Priv but does not draw attention, Kinda like a Chevy sedan at a stoplight...among other Chevy sedans. Just blends in. You would think with each passing year that Blackberry would fix physical keyboard problems that plagued older phones, so hopefully the Priv keyboard will not go out like your Passport keyboard did.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-11-17 10:04 AM
    Considering the Priv as my first foray into Android. Currently using a Passport for the last year. I really like the Passport. It's a great daily driver. I've had a Q10 and a Z10 and several Curves before that. Is the Priv a good replacement/choice?

As much as I like a physical keyboard, the option to have both is appealing because a physical keyboard has a drawback I always run into...and that is they begin to fail. For example, the 'B' key on my Passport is starting to stick.

Would you recommend the Priv as a daily driver?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I like the phone. I can recommend it IF you get a good deal on it. Or wait for the KEYone if you can. The Priv is already a year and a half old.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-11-17 11:09 AM
    I went from the Passport to the Priv and love it. The keyboard did take a bit to get used to, but I had the old Torch so it was similar, and the Priv felt rather natural as a result. I type a bit faster on the Priv than I did on the Passport, and the Priv is easier to use one handed.

If you don't need the PKB, the DTEK 60 would be nice. I didn't go for the DTEK 60 mainly due to the glass back, though I do love a PKB. I used the Z10 for over two years though and the onscreen keyboard was easy to type on. I think glass is a ridiculous material for the back of a phone, it is heavier and more apt to break. I do use the PKB more than the on screen though, so for me, the Priv is perfect.
    03-11-17 11:10 AM
    Definitely yes, it's great.
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    03-11-17 12:36 PM
    For the price of which you can get one these days, I would say yes.
    03-11-17 12:58 PM
    I would definitely recommend it. I could have any phone I want, and am still rocking the Priv even though I have never used the physical keyboard.
    03-11-17 02:44 PM
    No, it's Android,(apple) at least until wikileaks proves there's a back door for this BlackBerry 10 or just handsets. Think BlackBerry should take advantage of having an OS not know for being hacked by the NSA

No Shade Just Light!!! Silver Passport 10.3.2.2639
    03-11-17 03:02 PM
    No, it's Android,(apple) at least until wikileaks proves there's a back door for this BlackBerry 10 or just handsets. Think BlackBerry should take advantage of having an OS not know for being hacked by the NSA

No Shade Just Light!!! Silver Passport 10.3.2.2639
    Keep telling yourself that.
    03-11-17 03:50 PM
    The Priv: a good overall phone for under 300$ device. Still in for a least a year to come.
    The cons: the heat when you gaming.
    Android marshmallow: heavy and always in progress.
    The camera:Software do good now but the autofocus. -still a bite slow..

Also you can read the other treads of the last month on the topic.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-17 04:16 PM
    Short answer to your question : yes!
    03-11-17 04:45 PM
    I went from Z30 to Priv so Priv is my first pkb phone. I like it. What others here have said is true but for me selfies are not important. As for speed, I find if I clear app cache every week or so it keeps things pretty snappy. There UI is definitely not as elegant as on BB10, but you get used to it.
    Lots of good deals out there now.
    03-11-17 06:20 PM
    I would go for it
    03-12-17 01:50 AM
    I would go for it
    My sentiments.
    03-12-17 03:10 AM
    Six months into the Priv myself and I can't recommend it enough at the price I got it for which is just half of its launch srp. If you can get it for $400 or less, there's hardly any phone out there I'd recommend over the Priv. And the fact that there is no other android pkb handset out there at any price point, bar the upcoming release of the KeyOne, makes the Priv a no brainer of a purchase. I've thoroughly enjoyed mine and only the KeyOne will likely replace it for me perhaps sometime next year when the Keyone's price drops to earthly levels.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-17 03:46 AM
    DailySteals.com has it brand new for $289.99. Pulling the trigger. Thanks to all of you who replied. It's official...it's ordered and on its way!

Last edited by jackcarr; 03-12-17 at 08:16 AM.
    03-12-17 07:48 AM
    DailySteals.com has it brand new for $289.99. Pulling the trigger. Thanks to all of you who replied. It's official...it's ordered and on its way!

I'm moving from Passport to Priv as well... just waiting for mine to arrive!
    newcollector and glwerry like this.
    03-12-17 10:01 PM
    Six months into the Priv myself and I can't recommend it enough at the price I got it for which is just half of its launch srp. If you can get it for $400 or less, there's hardly any phone out there I'd recommend over the Priv. And the fact that there is no other android pkb handset out there at any price point, bar the upcoming release of the KeyOne, makes the Priv a no brainer of a purchase. I've thoroughly enjoyed mine and only the KeyOne will likely replace it for me perhaps sometime next year when the Keyone's price drops to earthly levels.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. For now I'm enjoying the Priv a lot. I like both pkb and vkb. My wife and daughter both will be getting the KEYone almost as soon as it comes out. I'll try to do some early comparisons.
    03-12-17 11:13 PM
    Now? Eh, not the first choice.
    03-12-17 11:16 PM
    Now? Eh, not the first choice.
    The guy already bought it. But for the price it not a bad choice. For many it is abetted choice than dtek50.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-17 11:38 PM
    The guy already bought it. But for the price it not a bad choice. For many it is abetted choice than dtek50.

Posted via CB10
    There are better full touch phones (DTEK60, etc.) and there will soon be a better keyboard phone (KEYone). Unless one is permanently stuck in niche between the two just go with whichever input method is better.
    03-12-17 11:40 PM
    I suppose yes. But I have never tried the BB Dtek60. On paper it have a better processor and some other good specs that it make it desirable. But the Priv is more recommendable than the LG G5. because it offer more base on qui!te the same achitecture.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 11:02 AM
    I've had mine a year and it has been great. I'm not a phone gamer but I use it for videos and browsing aside from it being a phone. It's my music player and my workout timer. I'd buy another one tomorrow if I needed to. I happen to really like the pkb as well
    FF22 likes this.
    03-19-17 12:20 PM
48 12