Malware downloaded one million times from Google Play. Would "secure" android prevent this from running? Seems like this infection is sneaky and very hard to remove. The recommended removal is to flash the ROM? I don't understand how anyone can trust android.
    Link: Advanced malware gets into Google Play store twice, possibly 1M downloads - SC Magazine
    09-22-15 08:10 PM
    probably not, most of the malware is one or two steps ahead of most Antivirus programs.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 08:35 PM
    ‘it uses privilege escalation exploits to gain root access on the device, and it takes steps to maintain persistency so it cannot easily be deleted.’
    Going to depend on the scenario.. No one can say definitively either way as that would all depend on the basis of 'secured android'. Secured Android options aim to remove this potential through various measures, the most interesting things about these reports is that they all just say 'Android', they generally don't break it down to say which version of Android which is pretty much the most important piece of information there. I pretty much EXPECT old versions of Android to be more likely to get infected with this stuff than Lollipop and above but we'll never know unless someone breaks out the versions explicitly.

Edit: The exploit itself is from 2013, so likely aimed at those using old Android versions - https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvenam...=CVE-2013-6282
    lift likes this.
    09-22-15 08:38 PM
    Important part of a "secure OS" is the user. People have to learn that a smartphone is just another computer. I think a good part of the affected users would not have installed a suspicious braingame.exe on their PC. But on the smartphone it's always assumed to be safe.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 08:56 PM
    Can we assume Blackberry Guardian is on the Venice too?
    09-22-15 09:02 PM
    Can we assume Blackberry Guardian is on the Venice too?
    Not unless BlackBerry world is.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 11:45 PM
    Not unless BlackBerry world is.
    BlackBerry Guardian has been investigating .apk files (obtained through Amazon Appstore, Google Play, etc.) prior to their installation.

Would "secure" android prevent something like this from running?-img_20150923_193216.png

Posted via CB10
    samgne likes this.
    09-23-15 05:41 AM
    how effective is BlackBerry guardian.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 10:37 AM
    I found the answer about "just another computer" to be quite illuminating.

I just finished a round of hand-to-hand combat with my wife's laptop, where I actually purchased a malware sweep program to remove a particularly stubborn virus/malware.
    We use pretty much identically configured laptop and it has been YEARS since I've had a problem - I'm an IT professional and don't download all these games that she does - and if I DO download something I'm on the look for the extra toolbars, etc., that generally come with these games now.

So, a little bit of caution and paranoia would likely go a long way, even with phones.
    09-23-15 02:41 PM
    From the Checkpoint BrainTest blogpost it was tested on a Nexus 5 which of course contains the latest OS version available for Android. I think it would be impossible on a locked down Android device for this exploit to work because the Nexus 5 which exists in part to be able to easily root and tinker would of course also be vulnerable to malware which could also root the device and install with system rights.
    09-23-15 11:50 PM
    Bgr reports that stagefright is still not patched whatever google says:

http://bgr.com/2015/08/14/google-sta...bility-update/

If this vulnerability is not found on priv then I might consider.

Otherwise the lesser of two evils is ios unfortunately.

Did I say this sucks?

If not well here it goes

THIS SUCKS!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 05:28 AM
    I found the answer about "just another computer" to be quite illuminating.

I just finished a round of hand-to-hand combat with my wife's laptop, where I actually purchased a malware sweep program to remove a particularly stubborn virus/malware.
    We use pretty much identically configured laptop and it has been YEARS since I've had a problem - I'm an IT professional and don't download all these games that she does - and if I DO download something I'm on the look for the extra toolbars, etc., that generally come with these games now.

So, a little bit of caution and paranoia would likely go a long way, even with phones.
    Absolutely. Even a small degree of caution goes a long way.
    09-25-15 05:33 AM