If BlackBerry really thinks this is their comeback phone, perhaps they should consider taking a small loss or just breaking even on the MSRP to attract buyers so they can rebuild the brand, then hopefully be able to turn profits on the following devices.

Of course, they would need to find a way to market the price correctly. Everyone here cares about what the full MSRP is because many of you are going to buy it outright and/or are international buyers. The average consumer in the US is going to buy on contract or in installments. If they can get the on-contract or per month price lower than the iPhone and S6, they have a leg up.

Thoughts?
    10-05-15 05:24 PM
    That plan won't go over well with the shareholders.

Prem WhatsApp will not be impressed. Do you want to make Prem angry? You won't like him when he's angry.
    Leviax10 likes this.
    10-05-15 05:31 PM
    I personally feel like BlackBerry is in a no win situation. Break even or lose a little on a sale of each Priv, and I think their hardware division goes out. Make a decent amount on the sale of each Priv, but not sell enough because of the high price and the hardware division still goes out. With that being said, they are going to get their money from me on the Priv.
    10-05-15 05:42 PM
    I personally feel like BlackBerry is in a no win situation. Break even or lose a little on a sale of each Priv, and I think their hardware division goes out. Make a decent amount on the sale of each Priv, but not sell enough because of the high price and the hardware division still goes out. With that being said, they are going to get their money from me on the Priv.
    I am pretty sure that Chen went on record last week saying that in the very least his hopes for the Priv are to break even.

As of this point their hardware division is largely gone and Chen moved most things to Foxconn it seems. I don't think it is any accident that the Priv looks a heckofalot like the Galaxy S6 Edge spec wise, but with the slide out keyboard and speaker grill.

Chen has also indicated that if the Priv does not sell as well as planned (what ever numbers that may be) then it would be the last of the Privs. I mean, it is sometimes hard to interpret what Chen is saying but he is pretty honest non-the-least. Whether he meant BlackBerry would not make another Android phone or just discontinue the Priv line was not made clear but everything he has been saying throughout 2015 so far indicates his intentions are to stay in the handset business at any rate.
    10-05-15 11:40 PM
    You assume the BlackBerry wants to start making money on hardware again. It seems that the strategy is to simply not lose money on hardware until the software transition is complete.
    10-06-15 12:46 AM
    they dont need to discount the device to sell units, they need to sell units to the right people, and the right people have been waiting for a phone like this (doesnt matter the brand).
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-23-15 10:12 PM