I recently dropped my passport to water for a second, and the keyboard is not functioning well. Soooooo.. I decided to move to Priv since it's much cheaper now.

As you guys know, Priv is on discount at shopblackberry for $499. I have seen many many cheaper deal for AT&T branded, and didn't really like the logo on the device. Also heard there are some un-removable AT&T apps. I'm moving to Korea for my new job in 3 month, so updating the OS in the future would be another thing I need to consider as well.
    What i'm wondering is if it is worth paying extra $100 for non-branded Priv at the moment. I tried to search for differences between branded and non-branded device software/hardware wise, but it seems like the things I addressed above are the only differences. It would be great to hear any experience, thought, or advice from you u guys!

Posted via CB10
    08-17-16 02:27 PM
    Go for the unlocked. Heard there's a deal for USD 399 for the Priv for a short while on BlackBerry website. Check it out. Difference is software wise. In most cases. Updates and bloatware.
    08-17-16 02:55 PM
    Found a deal for $399 at Newegg though Blackberry website. It's interesting they are actully selling att branded one, but never mentioned about it :/
    08-17-16 03:17 PM
    I recently dropped my passport to water for a second, and the keyboard is not functioning well. Soooooo.. I decided to move to Priv since it's much cheaper now.

As you guys know, Priv is on discount at shopblackberry for $499. I have seen many many cheaper deal for AT&T branded, and didn't really like the logo on the device. Also heard there are some un-removable AT&T apps. I'm moving to Korea for my new job in 3 month, so updating the OS in the future would be another thing I need to consider as well.
    What i'm wondering is if it is worth paying extra $100 for non-branded Priv at the moment. I tried to search for differences between branded and non-branded device software/hardware wise, but it seems like the things I addressed above are the only differences. It would be great to hear any experience, thought, or advice from you u guys!

Posted via CB10
    If you buy the AT&T branded one, you will have more trouble with Security and OS updates. You will either need an AT&T sim card (which might not work in the future if you are out of the US) or you will need to use an Autoloader to load any changes. Every time you use an Autoloader the entire device is wiped clean and you have to reload all of your apps and your data.

If you pay the extra money, you will get your OS and other upgrades directly from BB which can be weeks or months sooner when it is the OS.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    08-17-16 03:27 PM
    If you buy the AT&T branded one, you will have more trouble with Security and OS updates. You will either need an AT&T sim card (which might not work in the future if you are out of the US) or you will need to use an Autoloader to load any changes. Every time you use an Autoloader the entire device is wiped clean and you have to reload all of your apps and your data.

If you pay the extra money, you will get your OS and other upgrades directly from BB which can be weeks or months sooner when it is the OS.

Yea, that was my major concern. I guess i will get mine straight from blackberry. Thank you!
    Wezard and Bucky2016 like this.
    08-17-16 03:33 PM
    I would suggest you to get the unlocked one as well... the extra money, now that the price is down to a more reasonable amount, worth it...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-17-16 04:08 PM
    I would suggest you to get the unlocked one as well... the extra money, now that the price is down to a more reasonable amount, worth it...

Factory Unlocked, the AT&T devices are unlocked.
    08-17-16 07:16 PM
    Unlocked is the best way to go. I've done that for several years now and have been very happy. No carrier bloatware and getting the updates quick are the two biggest advantages.

08-17-16 07:24 PM
    correct... but is it really unlocked a phone that won't receive updates from BB without tricks and magical dances? but yes, i was recommending the OP to get a factory unlocked device...

Factory Unlocked, the AT&T devices are unlocked.
    08-17-16 07:56 PM
    I have the AT&T version. It has Marshmallow. All good.

But it doesn't get security updates and that's a major problem.

I'd get a factory unlocked if I didn't already have a Priv. Especially for 399.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    08-17-16 07:59 PM
    Totally worth getting the ShopBlackBerry Priv. You avoid the grief of having to wait for the carrier to release updates. When it is a security update, that is a big deal in my opinion. BlackBerry releases these updates promptly and then you get them at release instead of having to wait.
    dietertong likes this.
    08-17-16 09:04 PM
    Currently living in Korea using the Verizon Priv under SK, trust me...pay extra and buy it from shop blackberry.... I'm planning on selling my verizon one when I visit the state side in September and buy the unlocked one and using it here. Not getting the updates on time is killing me T.T
    JUUUUUUUUUUN likes this.
    08-17-16 09:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    Go unlocked, you own the phone and have the option to pay $5/mo for protection. Feel free to drop your Priv in your toilet.

BlackBerry Since 2006. SE/Priv/DTEK50
    JUUUUUUUUUUN likes this.
    08-17-16 09:46 PM
    Is it through Blackberry?
    08-18-16 12:04 AM
    correct... but is it really unlocked a phone that won't receive updates from BB without tricks and magical dances? but yes, i was recommending the OP to get a factory unlocked device...
    I figured you meant Factory Unlocked, but there's already too much confusion about 'unlocked', so I correct things whenever I see it.
    I'm on a crusade,,, or maybe just an ***hole - whatever.
    raino likes this.
    08-18-16 05:18 AM
    Okay, have you thought through that the model will need to be compatible with Korea? Asia pacific model?

You will need it unlocked if you're going to put a Korean sim card in for the duration of your stay.

Also, I have an att branded unlocked Classic here in AUS (international model) and we get auto updates from BlackBerry. We don't have to worry about telcos.

Also, I use the. Autoloader to update.
    Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 05:29 AM
    I believe the Z10 was the first device where updates were carrier locked, regardless of SIM status. But there was always a 'leaked' update, within days. We could load the update without wiping our phones. And if we needed to backup and restore, it was a pretty simple operation with a PC.

I'm not knocking the Priv, I love the thing, but updates are a real problem for carrier phones. I don't think anybody saw it coming until it was way to too late. And backup / restore on Android is just a disjointed cluster *.

The first one to figure how to do a complete back / restore on a PC, is gonna make a fortune. Given that each app is almost it's own little OS, doing it's own thing, we may never see it.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-18-16 06:38 AM
    hahaha it's ok, we are who we are hahaha... at the end, sometimes it's better to clarify terms to avoid someone to get confused by it... it's all good, have a great day!

I figured you meant Factory Unlocked, but there's already too much confusion about 'unlocked', so I correct things whenever I see it.
    I'm on a crusade,,, or maybe just an ***hole - whatever.
    08-18-16 07:45 AM
    when I cracked my screen on my ATT Priv and got the protection plan and filed a claim and sent the phone in they replaced it with BlackBerry Unlocked Priv and its the way to go, you get all the updates and security updates right away thanks to BB blasting them out and no waiting for the carrier to do their job!
    08-18-16 11:30 AM
    Thank you all for advices! I have ordered non-branded unlocked Priv from shopblackberry. And sorry for the confusion. I meant both unlocked, but comparison between branded and non-branded. I know its hard to have proper service from official blackberry in Korea, so i guess it worth to pay extra bucks for non-branded for the future. Thanks again!
    08-18-16 03:43 PM
    If you want timely updates, yes...all day long!

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 06:24 PM
    I would probably go for the AT&T before, but now that they have a big price drop. Definitely direct from shop.blackberry
    08-18-16 08:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    My advice: BB, Blandroid, iOS . . . ALWAYS unlocked. I do not think I have ever purchased a locked/branded phone. And that is going back to the late 80's.

One thing to consider, is that in Korea, if it is the same when I was there up to 2013, any non-Korean phones HAD to be inspected by a combination of security and carrier. My staff told me it was due the the North . .. In any event, my phones, 9900's at the time, were left with SK Telecom for a couple of days, then returned, "approved". After that I was able to use my that were not purchased in Korea . .. . If not approved, the carrier has some form of block in place.

Might want to check. And as I said, not a problem, just a bit of a hassle.
    08-18-16 08:41 PM
    It's worth it if you never have to deal with Digital River who handles BlackBerry's online sales... Pray you never do.
    08-18-16 11:52 PM
    All my Blackberry's are unlocked and as long as it is new and unused you should be ok!
    08-19-16 08:57 AM
30 12