On my Z30, I have a few word substitutions that BACKSPACE (which erases the character you entered or a superfluous space) and that used a %b, then you added the word or character you wanted.

I just tried using the %b and it merely types it as part of the substitution.

Probably not explaining it well!
    03-10-16 12:18 AM
    On the priv you must press backspace twice if I understand your question correctly ..
    03-10-16 12:29 AM
    Wow! An extra step? What's android coming too? People used to complain that using a Blackberry caused extra work! Oh wait! Please forgive me....It is a Blackberry
    03-10-16 12:52 AM
    On the priv you must press backspace twice if I understand your question correctly ..
    With the latest update you don't need to use the delete /back button anymore you can just swipe back like on bb10

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-10-16 06:55 AM
    With the latest update you don't need to use the delete /back button anymore you can just swipe back like on bb10

Ah yes you are correct
    03-10-16 07:11 AM
    I must be missing a few screws! I'm trying to get the Substitution to "enter a backspace" and then a character. So that when I enter "word " the Substitution will backspace and remove the BLANK and leave "word"

In BB10 and prior even bb7 the %b would be a BACKSPACE character.

Okay, I know I will get flack. But what I've been doing for ages with Word Substitution is replacing a lowercase v with a ? So that I do not have to change the keyboard to the second tier characters.

So in past Word Sub's I had

v
    %b?

So if I typed

"are you ready v"

that would be changed to:

"are you ready?"

I know, odd but it was my way of not SHIFTING the keyboard to get the Question Mark.

I had a few others like that.
    03-10-16 08:38 AM
    That is a really good idea. I'm interested in doing this if you get it working.

FF22 likes this.
    03-10-16 02:03 PM
    I just got my Verizon Priv yesterday and I was just happy to have Word Substitution at all on Android!
    03-10-16 02:36 PM
    That is a really good idea. I'm interested in doing this if you get it working.

Well, it partially works if you don't mind a bit of syntax error!!!

So if I typed

"are you ready v"

it is now changed to:

"are you ready ?"

Note that extra space. Actually, BB10 had that problem with a few early releases but it was fixed. But I don't see anyway to enter what I'd term macro like that backspace %b.
    03-10-16 04:58 PM
    This must be really fast but for the time being one can just swipe down on the keyboard and get a ?

Unless you're trying to do something more extravagant swiping down to get the characters would help in your case, at least till they have it fixed.

Posted via Note 5 till my PRIV comes back
    FF22 likes this.
    03-10-16 08:38 PM
    This must be really fast but for the time being one can just swipe down on the keyboard and get a ?

Unless you're trying to do something more extravagant swiping down to get the characters would help in your case, at least till they have it fixed.

Posted via Note 5 till my PRIV comes back
    Is there some place we can bring issues (bugs, perhaps?) to their attention?
    03-10-16 09:40 PM
    Is there some place we can bring issues (bugs, perhaps?) to their attention?
    Mark Cullum from keyboard department is active posting here
    03-10-16 09:46 PM
    That particular macro wasn't included in the initial implementation. It's in the queue now, although I can't make any commitments about timing for its inclusion in an update.

It's definitely an innovative use of the macro, and I can see how it would be habit-forming.

Personally I'm so accustomed to a quick swipe down for one-shot symbols that I find losing it one of the hardest things about switching to other keyboards.

Regards,
    Mark from BlackBerry

FF22, Uzi and jm1219 like this.
    03-11-16 08:28 PM
    I do similar things with many many words.

Just put "v" as a ? And who cares there will be a space.

Like ? Instead of?

Posted via the Innovative Blackberry PRIV - Powered by Android
    03-11-16 08:36 PM
    That particular macro wasn't included in the initial implementation. It's in the queue now, although I can't make any commitments about timing for its inclusion in an update.

It's definitely an innovative use of the macro, and I can see how it would be habit-forming.

Personally I'm so accustomed to a quick swipe down for one-shot symbols that I find losing it one of the hardest things about switching to other keyboards.

Regards,
    Mark from BlackBerry

Thanks for responding.

I'm somewhat patient. I waited till Verizon finally offered the Priv!

Another one I've used is

a single g

becomes

(g)

But an extra space in that one does not matter.
    03-11-16 09:21 PM
    I was getting closer to start using my VZW Priv as my primary phone until I put some of my custom Word Substitution entries in. One that I use often throughout the day is %d for Short Date. I use it in my notes (mostly Evernote) for each job I do for clients. I do NOT want to use %D, which does work.

Once that and a few other necessary features are implemented, I'll be ready to make the Priv my primary phone instead of my Classic.

I'm kinda curious why ALL of the AutoText functionality wasn't implemented at the same time. We also really need a way to transfer it from OS7 and BB10 phones.

BTW, when I search BlackBerry help on the Priv, for details about using Text Shortcuts (Word Substitution), it find two results.
    One points to a link that is not valid and one points to the users manual PDF, which contains no information at all.
    03-12-16 03:58 AM
    I do similar things with many many words.

Just put "v" as a ? And who cares there will be a space.

Like ? Instead of?

Posted via the Innovative Blackberry PRIV - Powered by Android
    Well, yes, that works but looks odd. And depending on who (whom?) I'm writing it could be important but in that case, I guess I can summon the real question mark.

It just would be nice to work again. At one point I had "deg" replaced by the Degree Symbol � and, again, you don't want a space in there.
    03-12-16 09:30 AM

Regards,
    Mark from BlackBerry

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your reply.

To be honest with you, I do believe this macro is very important, especially for the French market. I used to use it A LOT on my Classic for the below substitutions

c --> c'%B (Example: C'est la vie)
    d --> d'%B (Example: D'apr�s moi [According to me])
    jusqu --> jusqu'%B (Until)
    j --> j'%B (This one is so crucial since J/Je is like I in English, example: J'aime le chocolat (I like chocolate))
    m --> m'%B
    etc. (I use it also for the letters L, M, N, S, and T).

Currently on my PRIV, I have to press ALT and then ' which is less productive than any other BlackBerry I had before :-(

I will keep having a look to your updates and hopefully this one will come soon :-)

Kind regards,
    Mathieu (Proudly using a BB PRIV).
    Last edited by mathieualexandre; 04-04-16 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote
    FF22 and G1anL like this.
    04-04-16 01:00 AM
    yes, that's what I would like to follow the case to figure out how to use "%b or %B" to delete the space before or after a char.
    I have been using Password for 2 years now, and the tricks to delete a space are so captivating to me in the word substitutions. but on Priv, every thing has changed. but that's not to say Priv is not as good as the former, just saving the way how to use ALT too much.
    01-21-17 10:49 AM
    Dear Mark,

I agree with co-forumers, this function is crucially needed in BlackBerry on Android!
    Now I use it very often on my BlackBerry Q10 to input not the special characters that are usually accessible by other means, but to input characters of my native Kazakh language (which BlackBerry cannot finally include!). I use macros %b and %B to be able to put the characters very quickly without major interruptions.

For example, I assigned "кк" as "қ%B" for the first letters in words, and "кь" as "%bқ%B" for the letters in the middle of words. So, if I want to input the word "Қазақша" everything I need to write is:
    Кк spacebar aза spacebar кь spacebar ша.
    After a few minutes of practice, such method becomes veeery convenient. Moreover, BlackBerry Keyboard Dictionary also remembers such words and suggests then!

So, could you please convince the dev team to put a lot of attention to this feature?
    Of course, Q10 with its BBOS 10 is not going to survive for a long time, so I am definitely planning to upgrade to an Android BlackBerry, Priv or KEYone.

Thank you!
    FF22 likes this.
    03-03-17 11:47 AM
    There are punctuation marks that currently do not have the backspace built in:

Colon :
    Semicolon ;
    Apostrophe '
    Quotation mark "
    Forward slash /
    Percent %

This has always been the case, but with BBOS and BB10 we could add the macro backspaces in the word substitutions list. Now we can't.

Has anything moved on this in the last 12 months? Is anyone at BlackBerry still working on the keyboard and monitoring CB?
    G1anL likes this.
    03-06-17 05:36 PM
    There are punctuation marks that currently do not have the backspace built in:

Colon :
    Semicolon ;
    Apostrophe '
    Quotation mark "
    Forward slash /
    Percent %

This has always been the case, but with BBOS and BB10 we could add the macro backspaces in the word substitutions list. Now we can't.

Has anything moved on this in the last 12 months? Is anyone at BlackBerry still working on the keyboard and monitoring CB?
    Fewer representatives, I fear.

Try searching out threads with

DeeJayBB
    Dev Product Manager - BlackBerry
    03-06-17 06:38 PM
    The %b and %B macros are supported in BlackBerry Keyboard 3.4.0.15545. Sorry that it was such a long wait!
    gizmo21 likes this.
    06-21-18 07:10 AM
    The %b and %B macros are supported in BlackBerry Keyboard 3.4.0.15545. Sorry that it was such a long wait!
    That's good, but is %d ever going to be added?
    06-22-18 12:52 AM
    %B works but I can't get the standard degree example to work with %b

dg -> %b°
    So "37 dg" should end up "37°" but it remains "37 °"

Version is as mentioned above non-beta on STV100-4.

Update @LiamQ:

It seems %b works in standard android textfields like in-app, but not in webview fields. %B works in both.
    You can easily reproduce in BlackBerry Notes or Hub-email as Note/mail subject seems standard-field so it works with both but Note/Hub-Mail body seems webview and there %b does not work.

Android webview is newest non-beta version.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 06-24-18 at 04:26 AM.
    06-23-18 06:03 PM
34 12