According to MobileSyrup and a few other sources, the Priv (wow, I dislike even typing that name) Venice, will ship with Lollipop 5.1.1 (see Android-powered BlackBerry Venice will be released as the "BlackBerry Priv" | MobileSyrup.com).

Unfortunately, this version of Android does not give granular app permissions. This seems like a huge oversight on BlackBerry's part, especially when it comes to privacy and security. I get that an OS that is early in its release may not be the most bug-free, but the enhancements that Marshmallow brings to the table are substantial enough that BlackBerry really should have released with it and not Lollipop. Adding to this, the most die-hard Android users will be looking for any and all devices that offer the latest and greatest OS, not last year's release.

Also, how does everyone feel about BlackBerry's prospect of providing regular OS updates for their device (unlike other Android vendors)? Do you think that it will happen, or that BlackBerry will be just like every other Android vendor and maybe issue one update in 2-3 years?
    09-24-15 11:57 AM
    According to MobileSyrup and a few other sources, the Priv (wow, I dislike even typing that name) Venice, will ship with Lollipop 5.1.1 (see Android-powered BlackBerry Venice will be released as the "BlackBerry Priv" | MobileSyrup.com).

Unfortunately, this version of Android does not give granular app permissions. This seems like a huge oversight on BlackBerry's part, especially when it comes to privacy and security. I get that an OS that is early in its release may not be the most bug-free, but the enhancements that Marshmallow brings to the table are substantial enough that BlackBerry really should have released with it and not Lollipop. Adding to this, the most die-hard Android users will be looking for any and all devices that offer the latest and greatest OS, not last year's release.

Also, how does everyone feel about BlackBerry's prospect of providing regular OS updates for their device (unlike other Android vendors)? Do you think that it will happen, or that BlackBerry will be just like every other Android vendor and maybe issue one update in 2-3 years?
    If true, that means we're probably six months or more from having granular permissions...on a BBRY device. One more stake in the heart of the device, insofar as security-conscious BB10 users are concern. It's becoming increasingly probable to me that whatever they gain in users from other OEMs is going to be negated, possibly more than negated, by defections from the current BBRY user base.
    09-24-15 12:23 PM
    its a timing thing....they had to start the dev for this awhile ago before marshmellow was on the table. BUT they might be able to push out an update sooner than most OEMs since its a fairly clean skin they would be using.
    09-24-15 12:29 PM
    The bloody phone will only be released in November. Android-M wasn't released yet. There's so much time until you get your "priv" in your hands, I don't see why it can't come with Android-M. Let's wait an see

Even if it doesn't, sooner or later it will be updated, or there will be a leak
    09-24-15 12:40 PM
    its a timing thing....they had to start the dev for this awhile ago before marshmellow was on the table. BUT they might be able to push out an update sooner than most OEMs since its a fairly clean skin they would be using.
    The bloody phone will only be released in November. Android-M wasn't released yet. There's so much time until you get your "priv" in your hands, I don't see why it can't come with Android-M. Let's wait an see

Even if it doesn't, sooner or later it will be updated, or there will be a leak
    I've bolded the two statements that sum up my concerns. When is "sooner or later"?

I am a platform agnostic user, with a bias towards BlackBerry. I have used a large percentage of flagship devices over the years, which includes multiple Android devices. Virtually every Android device is extremely slow to get updates, except for the Google Nexus line of devices. Look at the current distribution of Android OS installs...

https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html

5.1% are running the latest OS. Contrast this to iOS, where iOS 9 already has about 50% adoption a week after the release.

I don't want to see BlackBerry become another typical Android vendor.
    09-24-15 01:18 PM
    I've bolded the two statements that sum up my concerns. When is "sooner or later"?

I am a platform agnostic user, with a bias towards BlackBerry. I have used a large percentage of flagship devices over the years, which includes multiple Android devices. Virtually every Android device is extremely slow to get updates, except for the Google Nexus line of devices. Look at the current distribution of Android OS installs...

https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html

5.1% are running the latest OS. Contrast this to iOS, where iOS 9 already has about 50% adoption a week after the release.

I don't want to see BlackBerry become another typical Android vendor.
    But you can't compare to Iphone. Because when apple releases the update, EVERY phone receives the update because the OS is the same for eveyone. WIth android and all the customized OS's, they have to wait for the updated version form the respective phone brand
    09-24-15 01:32 PM
    But you can't compare to Iphone. Because when apple releases the update, EVERY phone receives the update because the OS is the same for eveyone. WIth android and all the customized OS's, they have to wait for the updated version form the respective phone brand
    I think you're missing the point. This is precisely the problem. With Android, it is basically critical that you are on the newest releases in order to capture as much of the bug and security fixes as possible.

BlackBerry does not have to be like the other OEMs. Hardened kernel with a stock OS and some apps would allow them to keep up with Google Nexus devices, at worst maybe 1-2 months behind. This by the way would also be a huge selling point for this phone. A lot of Android users actually want devices that get the newest OS vs. having to deal with OEMs that "skin" the UI to the point that they are incapable of releasing a new version of the OS without a significant investment in development.

I get that we're going Android. That does not mean that we have to adopt every bad habit of Android OEMs. Considering that Marshmallow launches this coming Tuesday, and this phone likely won't hit the market until November, BlackBerry has enough time to prepare a day-1 release of an OS upgrade.

In all though, the thread was just meant to entice some discussion. We actually don't know exactly what BlackBerry will do in respect to updates. I would sure appreciate granular permissions right off the bat.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-24-15 01:37 PM
    I think you're missing the point. This is precisely the problem. With Android, it is basically critical that you are on the newest releases in order to capture as much of the bug and security fixes as possible.
    This is not necesarily true. With the Stagefright exploit - many OEM's pushed out an update that specifically addressed that bug.

Yes - it is better to be up to date. I agree. But if a critical bug/exploit is discovered - patches can be sent out by OEM's that fix it before they are ready to push out a huge update to something like Marshmallow.
    09-24-15 02:11 PM
    When is Marshmallow releasing? Priv is a November release? It makes sense that Google and BlackBerry would want the Priv to be the first M release, what with its Bug Shield startup screen.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 02:21 PM
    The most secure configuration probably is vanilla android so the os could be updated as soon as vulnerabilities are discovered, not months later.
    09-24-15 02:30 PM
    Android is as secure as you make it. I have used it for 5 years and have rooted my phone each time to get more control over the customizations, etc. I also install AVG on here to provide a firewall, virus scan, and other security measures to ensure against any malware or viruses.

This coupled with BBs security settings and apps should make for a good combo.
    09-24-15 02:36 PM
    Android is as secure as you make it. I have used it for 5 years and have rooted my phone each time to get more control over the customizations, etc. I also install AVG on here to provide a firewall, virus scan, and other security measures to ensure against any malware or viruses.

This coupled with BBs security settings and apps should make for a good combo.
    personally I think the "anti-virus" is the worst virus you can have on a device... At least on a PC. Antivirus tend to have pop-ups all the time, consume PC resources etc... Sometimes I prefer having the virus going around in my PC silently, than having the antivirus remembering me about updates, check-ups etc...

Especially on the phone, I want the minimum background crap to drain my battery. If i ever have to install that kind of stuff on my "priv" ill just go back to BB10 or go to iOS.
    09-24-15 02:46 PM
    When is Marshmallow releasing? Priv is a November release? It makes sense that Google and BlackBerry would want the Priv to be the first M release, what with its Bug Shield startup screen.

Posted via CB10
    Please stop calling it the Priv, what a horrible stupid name. I hope they change it.

If it take BB forever to update the thing, which we don't know yet, I'll be looking elsewhere.
    09-24-15 02:51 PM
    personally I think the "anti-virus" is the worst virus you can have on a device... At least on a PC. Antivirus tend to have pop-ups all the time, consume PC resources etc... Sometimes I prefer having the virus going around in my PC silently, than having the antivirus remembering me about updates, check-ups etc...

Especially on the phone, I want the minimum background crap to drain my battery. If i ever have to install that kind of stuff on my "priv" ill just go back to BB10 or go to iOS.
    This is very true. I have no apetite for 3rd party malware scanners. I use them only as necessary.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 02:53 PM

For an OS that's only being used by one manufacturer 50% seems pretty low. There have to be 50% jailbroken "secure" Apple Smartphones out there.

But sorry, iOS is not an option. I never owned any Apple device and I'm happy about it.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 04:52 PM
    For an OS that's only being used by one manufacturer 50% seems pretty low. There have to be 50% jailbroken "secure" Apple Smartphones out there.

But sorry, iOS is not an option. I never owned any Apple device and I'm happy about it.

Posted via CB10
    I think you missed the point that I was comparing Android to iOS. Also, 50% or higher adoption after 1 week post release is fantastic. More than 70% of Android devices are currently about 2 full versions behind. Contrast those two. Heck, even currently BlackBerry devices can't tout such high adoption as iOS, for one simple reason, the OS upgrades are not delivered as efficiently and effectively as iOS is by Apple.

But, this is not a discussion about Apple or iOS, this is a discussion about Venice shipping (or not) with Marshmallow and the subsequent updates that it may be receiving, if any.
    09-24-15 05:20 PM