New Priv owner and first time owning a device and using Quick Charge / Wireless Charge.

I noticed that wireless charging seems to cause the phone to heat up quite a bit more than quick charge -- is this normal?
    03-20-17 10:38 AM
    some devices do heat up using wireless charging. My Z30 was wirelessly charged every night and it never overheated. But you can't tell which device will or won't. Not unusual tho
    03-20-17 01:06 PM
    New Priv owner and first time owning a device and using Quick Charge / Wireless Charge.

I noticed that wireless charging seems to cause the phone to heat up quite a bit more than quick charge -- is this normal?
    With a case or not?

What type of wireless charger? How did you orient the phone? The Priv's charging antenna is in the lower 1/3 of the phone. Offsetting it from there can make it inefficient and might lead to heating.
    03-20-17 07:08 PM
    With a case or not?

What type of wireless charger? How did you orient the phone? The Priv's charging antenna is in the lower 1/3 of the phone. Offsetting it from there can make it inefficient and might lead to heating.
    No case. The wireless charger is actually on the base of my lamp -- probably not a very good one.
    I did find to position the bottom 1/3 from my trial and error. I think I also calculated the charging speed and I was getting around 680mAh but the wireless charger on this lamp is supposedly rated for 1000mAh.
    03-20-17 08:05 PM
    No case. The wireless charger is actually on the base of my lamp -- probably not a very good one.
    I did find to position the bottom 1/3 from my trial and error. I think I also calculated the charging speed and I was getting around 680mAh but the wireless charger on this lamp is supposedly rated for 1000mAh.
    The reason I asked about a case was that my ShopBB Priv is in a flip case with a series of magnets, front and back. I believe that the magnets do interfere with wireless charging and sometimes the Priv/case/charger get really warm. I really don't try measuring the power of the wireless - just convenient.
    03-20-17 08:34 PM
    The reason I asked about a case was that my ShopBB Priv is in a flip case with a series of magnets, front and back. I believe that the magnets do interfere with wireless charging and sometimes the Priv/case/charger get really warm. I really don't try measuring the power of the wireless - just convenient.
    I didn't purposely measure the power of the charger, just looked at my phone and did some math.
    03-20-17 08:50 PM
    I didn't purposely measure the power of the charger, just looked at my phone and did some math.
    MATH - EEK.
    Wezard likes this.
    03-20-17 10:02 PM
    I use a Samsung wireless charger and it got so hot once that it did overheat. Without a case. It's a concern because heat will shorten the lifespan of the battery faster.
    03-21-17 08:21 AM
    I get no heat using a TechMatte 3 coil wireless charger with my StillGut case.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-22-17 10:14 AM
    I use a Samsung 'fast' charge wireless and a Tylt, both the 45 degree angled type, with a hard case. No issues. It gets warm with either, but no more so than with a regular 2 amp corded supply.
    Don't have a QC charger, don't need one, so can't compare there.

BTW, the Samsung is marginally faster, but the term fast really shouldn't be used with wireless chargers.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-23-17 06:10 AM
    I use a Samsung 'fast' charge wireless and a Tylt, both the 45 degree angled type, with a hard case. No issues. It gets warm with either, but no more so than with a regular 2 amp corded supply.
    Don't have a QC charger, don't need one, so can't compare there.

BTW, the Samsung is marginally faster, but the term fast really shouldn't be used with wireless chargers.
    Tried using the wireless charger a couple more times but it never got as hot as it did previously.
    I think during that time, it was because I just got my Priv and loaded a bunch of apps so things were probably syncing in the background that I didn't know about.

Now, it only gets warm to the touch (similar to what you explained with a 2amp charger). But with a QC2.0 charger, it remains cool to the touch.

I used to say wireless charging is a gimmick before I got my Priv. Now that I have my Priv and used wireless charging a few times... I can say for certain that it indeed is a gimmick! It's agonizingly slow and the phone warms up more when compared to a quick charger.
    03-24-17 02:35 PM
    Tried using the wireless charger a couple more times but it never got as hot as it did previously.
    I think during that time, it was because I just got my Priv and loaded a bunch of apps so things were probably syncing in the background that I didn't know about.

Now, it only gets warm to the touch (similar to what you explained with a 2amp charger). But with a QC2.0 charger, it remains cool to the touch.

I used to say wireless charging is a gimmick before I got my Priv. Now that I have my Priv and used wireless charging a few times... I can say for certain that it indeed is a gimmick! It's agonizingly slow and the phone warms up more when compared to a quick charger.
    I will have to disagree. Mine does not heat up with a wireless charger, in fact, my Priv get hotter using the PlayBook charger than it does on my TechMatte r coil charger, even with the case on. I use the wireless charger at night. It works perfectly.

At night, I can pick up the phone in the dark if necessary, then place I back on the charger without turning on a light, I just lay it down and it charges. Can't do that with the cord. You can pick up the phone with the cord attached if the cord is long enough, but for me, I love the wireless charger I have.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-24-17 05:27 PM
    I will have to disagree. Mine does not heat up with a wireless charger, in fact, my Priv get hotter using the PlayBook charger than it does on my TechMatte r coil charger, even with the case on. I use the wireless charger at night. It works perfectly.

At night, I can pick up the phone in the dark if necessary, then place I back on the charger without turning on a light, I just lay it down and it charges. Can't do that with the cord. You can pick up the phone with the cord attached if the cord is long enough, but for me, I love the wireless charger I have.
    I am going to try using my Samsung Disk (fast charger) on my second priv with the overly magnetic flip case tonight and see how it goes. I may try the one you have - about $20.
    03-24-17 05:53 PM
    I can say for certain that it indeed is a gimmick!
    Depends on your needs and wants. I have no use for a fast charger, phone will last two days on a charge. It's really nice to just drop it on a stand in the kitchen at bed time. Don't have to even turn the lights on, no cable to figure out which way. When I wake up in the morning, phones at 100 and ready to go.
    If you need to top off during the day, wireless is NOT the way to go, that when a QC shines.
    Nothing to prevent one from doing both, if you are charging more than once a day, thats a lot of wear on a not really robust connector.
    03-24-17 07:28 PM
    Nothing to prevent one from doing both, if you are charging more than once a day, thats a lot of wear on a not really robust connector.
    People always say this... but I've never had a worn out connector on any phone I've owned.
    03-24-17 08:04 PM
    People always say this... but I've never had a worn out connector on any phone I've owned.
    Ditto here, but I do see a good number of threads talking about broken ports. And if you look at any of the phone repair places, replacing USB port is usually listed right under cracked screen and battery.

Course a lot of people don't unplug it, they just jerk the cable out, and not always a straight jerk. That may explain why we never have a problem, and lots of people do. My wife is one of those, she's had two mess up, fortunately both at about the end of the phones life anyway.
    yyz321 and PHughes like this.
    03-25-17 08:01 AM
    I use a Samsung wireless charger and it got so hot once that it did overheat. Without a case. It's a concern because heat will shorten the lifespan of the battery faster.
    When I got my brand new Priv six months ago, I also bought a Samsung qi wireless charger, a white disc. Really wanted to go the wireless way with charging. Thought it'd be cool not to fiddle with wires and plugging into the socket every night. Imagine my shock when almost six hours after, I discovered my phone as hot as a stove burner and it was barely halfway charged. I quickly took it off the qi charger and decided to return that qi charger the next day. Wasn't worth accelerating the demise of the Priv with that ridiculous heat generated and a painfully long time to fully charge the phone.

I've used the bundled wired charger and it takes just under a couple of hours to fully charge the Priv.
    yyz321 likes this.
    03-26-17 04:38 AM
    Yeah, I bought a wireless charger from Amazon and found that although it charges the phone, it does so really slowly AND if the phone sits on the charger for more than an hour, it starts to get hot.

I think the wireless charging system the put in the phone is flawed and was put it just to make the specs look good.

Don't think it's really functional.
    03-26-17 10:23 PM
    Don't think it's really functional.
    Works great for a lot of us. It is the slowest method of charging, but one should know that going into it. And it's slow for all devices, not just the Priv.
    03-27-17 01:38 AM