Have they confirmed the height being greater than 5"?

I honestly feel like that could be the one major fault if it's just too tall, especially with the extended PKB adding another couple inches :s

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2558
    It's not official but using bio mechanics and available pictures holding the device and liberal dose of power of imagination; some folks have taken educated guess and there is a general consensus that it's a 4.9 to 5.1 tall screen. My ready reference is a standby Z3 and I can tell you it is very odd handling if we add couple more inches to it notwithstanding a lighter screen material.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 06:31 PM
    It's not official but using bio mechanics and available pictures holding the device and liberal dose of power of imagination; some folks have taken educated guess and there is a general consensus that it's a 4.9 to 5.1 tall screen. My ready reference is a standby Z3 and I can tell you it is very odd handling if we add couple more inches to it notwithstanding a lighter screen material.

Posted via CB10
    I'm actually hoping for 5.2 in screen. That just seems to be the size for me. And hopefully it's very thin for a slider or else iSheep and Droids will be complaining about how "BlackBerry is stuck in the past"

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 09:17 PM
    It would be very hard for me to go back to a rectangle screen after using the Passport for so long. Just using my Fiance's Z30 gives me cellphone shock lol.

Reading on narrow screens suck, and when you rotate it you can only read a few lines at a time.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    D3C0D3R and Barbareren like this.
    03-23-15 09:40 PM
    No question. Loved the Torch and I've been waiting a long time for the next gen. Slider suits me perfectly. They will get the weight and balance right, they did with the Torch. Passport is amazing but it's got to be the slider for me!!

X

Posted via CB10
    BionicKris and ayngling like this.
    03-23-15 10:37 PM
    I don't have a passport, as it was just too expensive here in canada, but if I had to choose one or the other now I think i'd choose the slider, but not for what you'd think.
    The slide is cool and all, but the biggest thing holding me back from the passport (besides the price) was the 3 row keyboard. Not so much because it's only three rows, but because there's no alt button to make symbol typing easier.

However, if I had the money i'd have the passport now, no question, it's a beautiful piece of hardware. But if I had a choice over most other things equal, i'd go for the 4 rows over the 3.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I love my Passport's PKB, but my one major complaint about that has got to be the Alt+Shift keys, or lack-thereof. A lot of the time I accidentally get the keyboard stuck in alt-mode or caps-lock when simple pressing the indicated touch-toggle once or trying to break to new line in BBM (hold shift+enter to make new line without sending message), that kinda thing.

Also, my pinkies have built up muscle now, but for the first month and a half my pinkies had to take breaks from the phone because they weren't used to holding up its shape and style :P

03-23-15 10:52 PM
    Yeah, hopefully they do and it's not a carrier exclusive, unless it's verizon of course bcus that white one is looking extra sexy right now...hopefully release info pops up soon

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 12:02 AM
    I won't. I have a ZedThir30 and I'm in love with it.

 ZedThir30. STA100-2. 10.3.1.2267
    03-24-15 06:56 AM
    Did you ever try the Torch? It was amazing to say the least.

I wouldn't be so quick to be judgmental about a phone that is based off a really good predecessor!

Never owned a Torch.

I only know it took a while to get use to the Classic coming from a 9900. Don't thing I want to balance a phone that tall.

I'm not saying the the device is bad or won't sell. I just don't think you will be able to type as fast because of having to balance it.

I will have to wait and see how it feels.

Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 10:29 AM
    Never owned a Torch.

I only know it took a while to get use to the Classic coming from a 9900. Don't thing I want to balance a phone that tall.

I'm not saying the the device is bad or won't sell. I just don't think you will be able to type as fast because of having to balance it.

I will have to wait and see how it feels.

Just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, we'll see with time :P

03-24-15 12:10 PM
    I prefer having shortcuts immediately available to the user, rather than having to have the phone 'open' to hit a shortcut.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 01:32 PM
    Maybe, depends on the Slider's price, on what I could get on the PP, and on the functions implemented in the curved screen.

Posted via CB10 from my exquisite Passport on TMO Romania
    03-24-15 02:51 PM
    I would have gladly jumped from my q10 to the slider, but after having the passport and the giant square screen idk if I could go back to a rectangular screen.

Rectangular = good for media

Square = good for everything else

Posted via CB10
    D3C0D3R and -Puck- like this.
    03-25-15 09:44 AM
    It would depend on screen size, as it is one key point for me of keeping my Nokia 1520 as second phone.

If Slide has large, high Def screen(5.5 or bigger) , with touch keyboard, then I would consider change to Slide

MBFan-WHITE PASSPORT
    03-25-15 08:37 PM
    I'm a former Torch owner who would be very interested in the new slider. If I had to guess I would think it would have the same size screen as the Samsung version at 5.1", which is fine to me. Can't wait to see more!

 Living the life, posting via BB Z30 
    D3C0D3R and ayngling like this.
    03-25-15 09:04 PM
    I loved my torch, but I don't know, I think I love my square screen Passport more.

The only BB10 phone I didn't covet was the Classic. I managed to restrict myself to just buying 3 of the currently available models. I'm sure if I have a paid off credit card when the slider comes out in white, I will probably feel the need to order one.

It started as just wanting a phone with a pkb, it turned into an addiction.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 12:44 AM
    It all depends on its specs. I am not only talking about processor, GPU and resolution specs, but also battery capacity, etc.

The bottom line is, I am not going to "upgrade" to an inferior device.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-04-15 10:07 AM
    My son is still using my old Torch for the past 18 months after I used it for 30 months before moving on to the Z30. If the new slider has both physical and virtual KBs, I'm sold.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 02:01 PM
    My son is still using my old Torch for the past 18 months after I used it for 30 months before moving on to the Z30. If the new slider has both physical and virtual KBs, I'm sold.

Posted via CB10
    If it doesn't have pkb and vkb then no one will buy that device

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 02:04 PM
    I see most chaps are really happy with passport and not likely to move to slider. But some are absolutely in love with Torch and eagerly looking towards Slider. I hope they get what they are looking for. Irrespective of spec sheets and what have you what I really appreciate that Blackberry hardware division is keen to retain customers and keep them happy and not just offering clones of a basic model like many top androids out there.
    I really don't think it's going to be an inferior device or one with a ratty battery capacity. OS10 is marvelously integrated and Slider will do well with about 2800 MaH pretty good. It's not going to match battery capacity of Passport if it is going to be about 5.2 inch screen or near about.
    04-05-15 01:15 PM
    I see most chaps are really happy with passport and not likely to move to slider. But some are absolutely in love with Torch and eagerly looking towards Slider. I hope they get what they are looking for. Irrespective of spec sheets and what have you what I really appreciate that Blackberry hardware division is keen to retain customers and keep them happy and not just offering clones of a basic model like many top androids out there.
    I really don't think it's going to be an inferior device or one with a ratty battery capacity. OS10 is marvelously integrated and Slider will do well with about 2800 MaH pretty good. It's not going to match battery capacity of Passport if it is going to be about 5.2 inch screen or near about.
    If the slider only has 2800 MaH, then BlackBerry's screwed. One of ther advantages of blackberries are that they generally have good battery life. Now you're trying to make a device that is probably going to be a flagship and that is supposed to win over pkb and vkb users, have less battery life than the password; a device that'll be 1 year old by the time the slider is released.

If they want to not have the same "Z10 horrible battery life failure", then they need to put at least 3800-4000 MaH battery in it. Don't forget, its going to be a big device with a big screen
    04-05-15 01:24 PM
    Don't forget, its going to be a big device with a big screen
    That seems to be the operative part here. Estate wise Z3 and Leap are in same league and share same capacity. Given Z3's specs it will outperform Leap anyday. I would love to see Passport defeated here but seems unlikely now or for few months down the line. If Slider is going to be a 5 inch something screen. There is simply no place to put a bigger battery if the device is going to be 9.5 thick as it appear in pictures. To house a 3800 MaH it has to be at least 5.5 inch screen and shave over 10 mm thick.
    04-05-15 01:37 PM
    That seems to be the operative part here. Estate wise Z3 and Leap are in same league and share same capacity. Given Z3's specs it will outperform Leap anyday. I would love to see Passport defeated here but seems unlikely now or for few months down the line. If Slider is going to be a 5 inch something screen. There is simply no place to put a bigger battery if the device is going to be 9.5 thick as it appear in pictures. To house a 3800 MaH it has to be at least 5.5 inch screen and shave over 10 mm thick.
    I don't think that's true at all. There are many devices out there that are super thin and have decent batteries. So making it bigger shouldn't be too hard.

Take the iPhone 6 plus for example. It is 7.1 mm thick and has a 2915 MaH battery. So if the Slider is 9mm (I think it's going to be more), then it can fit at least 3500 MaH battery.

Also, the Slider has a lot of room because the keyboard only takes half the space of the back part of the Slider. So more room to fit a big battery

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 01:44 PM
    BB10 SW development has reached a mature level and I am pretty happy with what we have right now. That leaves hardware improvements my only drive for upgrade. Simply packing Passport hardware in a different form factor will not be enough to attract an upgrade from me, but it might be enough for other BB10 device users, especially Z10, Q10 and Z30 users.

04-05-15 02:44 PM
    BB10 SW development has reached a mature level and I am pretty happy with what we have right now. That leaves hardware improvements my only drive for upgrade. Simply packing Passport hardware in a different form factor will not be enough to attract an upgrade from me, but it might be enough for other BB10 device users, especially Z10, Q10 and Z30 users.

Actually, it's not mature yet. Bb10 is finally close to the other platforms, but they need to be ahead. They can't keep playing catchup

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 02:54 PM
    Not likely, and absolutely not on day one.

1) Need a lot more info on specs. This is presumably a flagship model, so it's fair to presume that it will be a better spec than the Passport, but it would have to be a LOT better to be compelling for me in the short term. Very happy with my Passport's performance. And I would want to know more about how much thickness/weight is being added by this design.

2) After owning a Z10, a Q10, and a Z30, I've had lots of experience with both the virtual keyboard and the "traditional" physical keyboard in BB10. They are both miles ahead of any other mobile text entry method I've used, but I've come to prefer the Passport's hybrid keyboard over both of the other methods.

I'm glad they're introducing this device, even if it is a little on the "niche" side, but I'm pretty happy with what I've got now.
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    04-05-15 03:05 PM
71 123