Soon.....

They said it would be first quarter of the year.... I would expect something from Chen a MWC at the end of the month. Would be good if they have Marshmallow out for the Verizon launch.
    No, the management drone at BlackBerry said an announcement about BlackBerry Android (Marshmallow) will be made at that time. No release date or even a guarantee it will come to current generation BlackBerry Android smartphones.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    02-13-16 08:36 PM
    you will have to wait for the announcement of the announcement of mm for bb we have been thru this before already.
    eg
    on this day bb has scheduled an announcement for feb.21 to announce when mm will be announced for the bb priv.
    I see you have experience in a management role at BlackBerry. LOL

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    02-13-16 08:40 PM
    Man, I'm fine if they take their time with Marshmallow... make sure it's right when it goes out the door.
    laid-back likes this.
    02-13-16 09:04 PM
    For a moment I thought Marshmallow-like runtime for BB10.
    02-14-16 03:22 AM
    Granular app permissions is the big one. Google Now on Tap is the other, but it's not very useful. I have a Nexus 5X too and the situations where Now on Tap is useful is very rare. Other features are mostly behind the scenes security stuff that BlackBerry has already sort of added.
    Not just app permissions (which are still largely unsupported by apps), but better speed and better battery life
    02-14-16 06:11 AM
    I think this time blackberry is levying its promises regarding upgrades this time with its android experience, cz we're receiving monthly upgrades. I wish it had the same situation with bb10.
    02-14-16 06:30 AM
    don't see why this whole anxiety about marshmallow...is Lollipop not good enough? sure, MM will bring something new, but i don't think it's worthy of so much stress.
    anyway, i think BB is working on the tweaks and customization of MM and when it's ready it will be released.
    some of the BlackBerry features (like DTEK) isn't fully activated because they're meant for Marshmallow. and that's on top of the other improvements Marshmallow has over Lollipop as an OS. hence the general restlessness.

also a few of us have been burned by the general "abandon ship" decisions BlackBerry has done with some of their products in the past. that certainly doesn't help alleviating the anxiety of the waiting game given the recent news about BlackBerry workforce.

Posted via Droidberry Priv 👍
    02-14-16 08:55 AM
    the best bit will be able to install an app and don't allow it to throw any notifications down your throat like every POS android apps does. so annoying.
    02-14-16 01:57 PM
    the best bit will be able to install an app and don't allow it to throw any notifications down your throat like every POS android apps does. so annoying.
    You can turn off notifications from any app now.
    02-14-16 02:01 PM
    You can turn off notifications from any app now.
    there are 2 problems:
    -I don't want that process to every time I install an app.
    -There are apps that you disable all notifications and still get a notification from time to time (example: Clean Master)
    02-14-16 03:05 PM
    there are 2 problems:
    -I don't want that process to every time I install an app.
    -There are apps that you disable all notifications and still get a notification from time to time (example: Clean Master)
    I guess but how often are you installing apps that you can't spare a half second to long press a notification?

There's zero reason to install Clean Master. It doesn't help your system, it hurts it.
    02-14-16 03:40 PM
    I guess but how often are you installing apps that you can't spare a half second to long press a notification?

There's zero reason to install Clean Master. It doesn't help your system, it hurts it.
    half second? long press what? You actually have to go to the setting of the app or android system itself to turn off the notifications. if I install 100 apps, I have to do that process 100 times, things that I didn't have to do when I used BB10 or even the iphone.

There is a reason to install cleanmaster unfortunately, a lot of apps and the OS itself starts to gather a lot of junk like temporary files. Every month or so I clean between 1-2gb useless data with that software.

Once, I was running out of space in the phone without adding anything to it, with just junk acumulation.
    02-14-16 04:27 PM
    half second? long press what? You actually have to go to the setting of the app or android system itself to turn off the notifications. if I install 100 apps, I have to do that process 100 times, things that I didn't have to do when I used BB10 or even the iphone.

There is a reason to install cleanmaster unfortunately, a lot of apps and the OS itself starts to gather a lot of junk like temporary files. Every month or so I clean between 1-2gb useless data with that software.

Once, I was running out of space in the phone without adding anything to it, with just junk acumulation.
    When you get a notification, long press it, you can disable notifications right there.
    02-14-16 04:31 PM
    When you get a notification, long press it, you can disable notifications right there.
    thanks for the tip, didn't know that, much quicker.

Still, I prefer to disable on the app itself, because I believe that with your method android is simply not showing the notifications althought the app still sends them. basicly still having the process running in the background
    jm1219 likes this.
    02-14-16 04:44 PM
    Marshmallow is already being tested by some of the carriers. So probably it will be released soon after it is announced. Before the end of February. Basically Blackberry has already implemented a lot of the security features so once MM is released it won't be such a big deal. As a matter of fact if Google was smart they would of enlisted Blackberry to come up with security solutions, for all android devices.
    Jrox74 likes this.
    02-14-16 07:58 PM
    You do know that CleanMaster does more harm than good, don't you? Android manages its apps perfectly by itself and that does include loading apps into RAM which you might want to use later on. That doesn't mean they use up any CPU cycles or battery or something like that.

Cleaning them with apps like CleanMaster only results in Android preloading the app again later on - and THAT wastes CPU and battery.

There's a nice article on Quora about it: https://www.quora.com/Is-the-Clean-M...-really-useful

And if you absolutely need to clean the caches of apps, you can use the built-in feature under Settings -> Storage -> Cached data (tap on it!).
    02-15-16 06:37 PM
    Clean Master is just an advertising platform for other products for the skeezy Cheetah Mobile. It's tactics got CM removed from the app rankings in the Playstore at one point.
    02-15-16 07:12 PM
    Im guessing 5 weeks

Posted via the Innovative Blackberry PRIV - Powered by Android
    02-15-16 07:58 PM
    You do know that CleanMaster does more harm than good, don't you? Android manages its apps perfectly by itself and that does include loading apps into RAM which you might want to use later on. That doesn't mean they use up any CPU cycles or battery or something like that.

Cleaning them with apps like CleanMaster only results in Android preloading the app again later on - and THAT wastes CPU and battery.

There's a nice article on Quora about it: https://www.quora.com/Is-the-Clean-M...-really-useful

And if you absolutely need to clean the caches of apps, you can use the built-in feature under Settings -> Storage -> Cached data (tap on it!).
    Not at any point I was refering to RAM. I know that android uses all the ram available even when isn't needed. I never wipe RAM.

I was talking about residual junk that is a lot more than Cached data, it's junk that apps leave behind. I've been removing a couple of GB's that Android doesn't remove by itself.
    02-16-16 09:12 AM
    Doesn't have it a much improved way of selecting text for cut/copy? The current handles are a nightmare.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    02-16-16 11:25 AM
    Doesn't have it a much improved way of selecting text for cut/copy? The current handles are a nightmare.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    It just does it the iOS way, when you select text it floats the cut/copy/share options above the body of text instead of having them fixed at the top of the screen.

BlackBerry has made it a bit easier with the capacitive keyboard. After you double tap on the keyboard to bring up the cursor, you can hold shift and swipe in any direction to highlight words.
    02-16-16 12:52 PM
    I want Marshmellow just for battery improvements. If battery not fixed with update I will sell the phone and never look at BB again. Except in my portfolio that is.
    02-16-16 02:02 PM
    I was talking about residual junk that is a lot more than Cached data, it's junk that apps leave behind. I've been removing a couple of GB's that Android doesn't remove by itself.
    Then, that's a problem of the specific apps that leave the garbage behind. If they are coded correctly, each app should only use its specific storage area which gets deleted when you remove the app. But older apps often leave traces on the internal storage, yes. I'd recommend SD Maid for that.
    02-16-16 02:09 PM
    You can also get granular permission with Advanced Permission app. So, probably not much from what I understand. Would be nice for some additional tweaks to the Hub and maybe improve the battery life.

Enjoying the Priv
    I was very excited to read this...then I tried the app and found it fairly worthless. I mean, I love the idea - the concept is great. However, in practice, it simply does not work.

The following apps (which seem to want to know where I am at all times) do not work (either won't install or crash at launch) when you remove the "location" permission from them:

Facebook
    CNN
    FoxNews
    Amazon
    U by BB&T

So, the app doesn't work. Guess I'll wait for Marshmallow...and true granular app permissions.
    Last edited by Habious; 02-17-16 at 09:29 AM.
    02-17-16 09:19 AM
49 12