I think it's safe to assume the Venice will come with BBM, but I hope blackberry has further plans to convert andriod users new to blackberry into BBM users as well.

What they can do to accomplish that is a bit of mystery to me... if someone is a whatsapp user and they get the venice, they would likely just continue using whatsapp... hopefully blackberry has an idea of what to do there.

I feel like BBM is getting to a point where it with either thrive or blackberry will shut it down. Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 01:17 PM
    You should also consider that for a lot of people, the Venice will not be their first Android phone. And once they will setup their venice, they have an option to install all apps from their previous device (most people will). Most likely any chat app they previiously used will make their way onto the venice.
    astrodan13 and ayngling like this.
    09-21-15 01:20 PM
    There's also FB messenger which is quickly gaining ground.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 02:44 PM
    No

 Classic
    tufcustomer likes this.
    09-21-15 03:00 PM
    It will probably be one of those apps that is already installed on the phone which people will set up and will find cumbersome because they have to add people through a pin, whereas whatsapp users can be contacted when they're in your contacts.

BBM only seems to be used by the hardcore BlackBerry user. The average joe wants it fast and easy, doesn't care about security. My answer is no it won't, but then again I'm just another someone with an opinion.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 03:12 PM
    No.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 03:32 PM
    Well BBM be perceived as "BlackBerry bloatware"?
    09-21-15 03:42 PM
    YES
    09-21-15 03:48 PM
    I live in the U.S. As most people with a cell phone plan these days, texting is unlimited now. Therefore, I do not use or need chatting apps. Is it just me or a lot of people do not really need chat apps too?
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-21-15 03:59 PM
    I live in the U.S. As most people with a cell phone plan these days, texting is unlimited now. Therefore, I do not use or need chatting apps. Is it just me or a lot of people do not really need chat apps too?
    If you spend much time in buildings or areas with spotty network reception but you can access decent Wi-Fi, you learn to appreciate messaging apps.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-21-15 04:23 PM
    Load chats at oldest unread message.

Chat keyword search would help.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 04:29 PM
    I'm thinking BlackBerry would be better off not putting BBM on the Venice. Gain some momentum then play your next hand.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    09-21-15 04:43 PM
    Texting is slow and unreliable and doesn't compare at all to what a chat app offers today (or even since back in the day)

I won't bother explaining, just open bbm and look at all the features you have that are impossible through texting.

But the Venice won't help bbm until bbm bring video chat cross platform. If you are at par or sub-par, there's no real reason for anyone to join you and leave their other apps. Bbm should not have launched with as little features as it did when it started. People had no reason to stay with it.
    09-21-15 04:45 PM
    It will probably be one of those apps that is already installed on the phone which people will set up and will find cumbersome because they have to add people through a pin, whereas whatsapp users can be contacted when they're in your contacts.

BBM only seems to be used by the hardcore BlackBerry user. The average joe wants it fast and easy, doesn't care about security. My answer is no it won't, but then again I'm just another someone with an opinion.

Posted via CB10
    That's not true though, if your contacts use the same email for their bbid as the one in your contacts, they will be added automatically as 'temporary' contacts.
    09-21-15 04:46 PM
    I hope they do bring BBM BlackBerry only features to Venice. It'll cultivate a stature for its users due to exclusive features.

The Android phone would be a good medium for BBM to gain momentum.

That's called positive synergy between two departments in BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 05:22 PM
    I just hope that on the Venice BBM Video works.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 05:25 PM
    Within an hour of release there will be a thread here and on android central titled 'how to remove blackberry bloat ware?????'
    astrodan13 likes this.
    09-21-15 05:25 PM
    would be awesome if FB messenger could be thrown into the BBM mix
    09-21-15 05:39 PM
    I'm thinking BlackBerry would be better off not putting BBM on the Venice. Gain some momentum then play your next hand.

Posted via CB10
    This.
    09-22-15 03:28 AM
    Possibly. I have a friend that's always used Android. Yesterday he surprised me and said since I turned him on to BBM he now has 9 contacts that he got to install and use it. 9 folks that are all using it with him. None of these folks have BlackBerry hardware. But if they like BBM then that's something positive branding wise. Now if they are using Android and BlackBerry starts putting out good Android phones, there might be some positive brand reinforcement. Maybe a reason to take a look at a BlackBerry phone. Likewise if someone likes the looks of the Venice and buys it won't hurt to have BBM preloaded.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    FCSC and astrodan13 like this.
    09-22-15 03:40 AM
    People shifted away from bbm for 2 reasons ( my opinion)

1) at time of legacy devices, it was only for bb devices which caused a gap that was filed by many messengers

2) BBM for ios and android wasnt quick enough. Delayed messages etc and no video calling

If they can address the second issue and bring bbm video on all android phones but give bb bbm users some advantage then they might increase sales. I as a bb user would like free custom pin and this will be chargeable for other android device. They need to make bbm as facetime and imessage.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 03:50 AM
    I am also from the USA and most every carrier has unlimited text and data, so messaging apps are not popular here.

Facebook messenger is also starting to gain ground here, in the past couple of months, I have received more and more FB messages from long distance friends.

As far as BBM is concerned, I have only a handful of BBM contacts and only a couple of groups I am active in anymore. BBM is pretty much dead here in the USA.
    09-22-15 04:21 AM
    That's not true though, if your contacts use the same email for their bbid as the one in your contacts, they will be added automatically as 'temporary' contacts.
    That's true, but I for one don't add e-mail addresses of friends in my phone, only phone numbers. I'm not interested to chat with business contacts on my phone (their e-mail addresses are in my phone), so for me the temporary contacts don't have any added value.
    09-22-15 04:46 AM