Hello all,

In my desperate attempt to get hold of a Priv without forking out a fortune - or having to wait until I can end my contract - I had a look on the USA Ebay and it seems they can be found for under �250, although most aren't. I just wondered if I would be taking a gamble in buying one in case my 3 SIM wouldn't work. I believe AT&T use SIM cards so that's one hurdle, but could just do with some expert advise from you guys.

Many thanks,
    Jo
    06-25-16 08:27 AM
    Hello all,

In my desperate attempt to get hold of a Priv without forking out a fortune - or having to wait until I can end my contract - I had a look on the USA Ebay and it seems they can be found for under �250, although most aren't. I just wondered if I would be taking a gamble in buying one in case my 3 SIM wouldn't work. I believe AT&T use SIM cards so that's one hurdle, but could just do with some expert advise from you guys.

Many thanks,
    Jo
    It will work if the device is network unlocked or if you can get the unlock code for it. Likewise, your carrier must not be CDMA (i.e. Verizon), but rather support GSM (most common), not sure about 3, just double check.

The main problem is not whether it works or not, but rather if you'll get updates for it. As things stand today, your PRIV would only get updates if you have an active AT&T SIM in it.

Granted, BlackBerry has announced that they're working on a solution, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The alternative is to use autoloaders once they're released. Likewise, AT&T has not yet released the official Marshmallow update, only a Beta version available to some users who had signed up for it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Hello all,

Many thanks,
    Jo
    It will work if the device is network unlocked or if you can get the unlock code for it. Likewise, your carrier must not be CDMA (i.e. Verizon), but rather support GSM (most common), not sure about 3, just double check.

The main problem is not whether it works or not, but rather if you'll get updates for it. As things stand today, your PRIV would only get updates if you have an active AT&T SIM in it.

Granted, BlackBerry has announced that they're working on a solution, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The alternative is to use autoloaders once they're released. Likewise, AT&T has not yet released the official Marshmallow update, only a Beta version available to some users who had signed up for it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-25-16 08:47 AM
    In addition to being penta-band UMTS, the AT&T Priv has the three LTE bands most European carriers use for 4G, so network compatibility-wise you shouldn't have problems. But the update issue JG brought up is an important one to be aware of.
    06-25-16 09:59 AM