I thought the leak said that the device will come with both OS and you have to boot one on initial setup. Hard reset to switch OS
    That wasn't a leak, it was a rumor based on wishful thinking.
    09-11-15 08:47 PM
    If I was the head of marketing at BlackBerry , I would let you 'the end consumer' decide what you want to run it on. The BlackBerry OS 10 or the BlackBerry Android OS.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-15 10:49 AM
    It's not possible for BlackBerry 10 to run on this device seeing as they haven't updated the OS to handle more than 720p landscape. So if this device will come with BlackBerry 10 it would be a pathetic 720p screen.
    09-13-15 04:42 PM
    It's not possible for BlackBerry 10 to run on this device seeing as they haven't updated the OS to handle more than 720p landscape. So if this device will come with BlackBerry 10 it would be a pathetic 720p screen.
    Huh they can easily update it to support 1080p. They support 1440p on passport.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    tx ram likes this.
    09-13-15 06:54 PM
    Huh they can easily update it to support 1080p. They support 1440p on passport.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Easily? You realize absolutely no apps are designed to run on a landscape 1080p or higher right now? And since they have stopped basically everything that has to do with the roadmap, no new SDK or anything else, it's safe to assume there won't be a BlackBerry 10 version if it's to be released in two months.

Furthermore, the passport running 1440^2 has nothing to do with:
    Curved display (nothing mentioned for BlackBerry 10 app developers)
    A HD display in landscape mode
    Not even a mention of the slider for app developers..

So unless it's postponed to after November, odds are there can't be a BlackBerry 10 version of it running any current OS, and if it does launch with BlackBerry 10 it would have all of no native apps...
    09-13-15 07:59 PM
    Easily? You realize absolutely no apps are designed to run on a landscape 1080p or higher right now? And since they have stopped basically everything that has to do with the roadmap, no new SDK or anything else, it's safe to assume there won't be a BlackBerry 10 version if it's to be released in two months.

So unless it's postponed to after November, odds are there can't be a BlackBerry 10 version of it running any current OS, and if it does launch with BlackBerry 10 it would have all of no native apps...
    Well, in theory they could just be leaving third party developers behind. Their own developers could maybe have a new SDK with support for this new device?

Unlikely, probably. I think it would make sense to just make the Android version. But it at least possible they are doing both.
    09-13-15 08:25 PM
    Actually that's a really good point. There has been no mention in documentation about detecting when the keyboard slides out or anything. So that means that either it's a long ways out or it won't be getting BB10 I would think

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 07:52 AM
    Because it's intrinsically superior to lagdroid . Nokia pulled a "burning platform" move not long ago, didn't go well for them.
    How about the lagdroidruntime?
    09-14-15 08:10 AM
    I think it's unlikely that a BB10 variant will ever be made available.

Apparently Qualcomm want a small fortune to develop the necessary chipset drivers for the new processor for BB10. With sales levels as they are, this would be prohibitive.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    09-14-15 08:21 AM
    Talked with my neighbour who works for BB. There is only one version of the Slider: Android. They've been using it for testing purpose. So don't put any hope on a BB10 version Slider. And if there was going to be a BB10 version, we would have already seen some leaked pictures.
    nick903 likes this.
    09-15-15 08:30 AM
    Does this mean there will be no active frames and flicks of the apps into those active frames? In other words, like S5 Android platform? That would absolutely suck.

Gestures are a must. I can't imagine not having them anymore.
    09-16-15 12:34 AM
    Can we move this thread from the "Android on BlackBerry" Forum? ^^

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 02:59 AM
    Does this mean there will be no active frames and flicks of the apps into those active frames? In other words, like S5 Android platform? That would absolutely suck.

Gestures are a must. I can't imagine not having them anymore.
    I think we will be getting an Android device with some BlackBerry apps, physical keyboard support, along with some light skinning. The UI will not behave exactly like BB10.

This will at least allow for easier/faster updating, and will future proof the device if BlackBerry pulls the plug on its device division.

09-16-15 06:39 AM

Couldn't the Slider have a hardware scaler? Apps are simply scaled to support Slider's resolution?

This is not a perfect solution but I believe Apple devices scaled resolution when Apple upped the screen quality.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 07:51 AM
    I think we will be getting an Android device with some BlackBerry apps, physical keyboard support, along with some light skinning. The UI will not behave exactly like BB10.

This will at least allow for easier/faster updating, and will future proof the device if BlackBerry pulls the plug on its device division.

I don't use Android... how easy is it to download and install a non-manufacture released update?

What if they have managed to lock the boot rom, how easy would it be?
    09-16-15 07:52 AM
    I don't use Android... how easy is it to download and install a non-manufacture released update?

If BlackBerry releases its drivers to the modding community, it's amazing what they can do. The more vanilla, the easier it is.

09-16-15 08:10 AM
    BlackBerry Slider BB10 Version leaked!!!

Will there be a BB10 version?-torch_9800_front_open-595x595.jpg

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 10:43 AM
    No. Not at least till the end of the first year.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 03:55 PM

If the bootloader is locked you can't flash another kernel. At best you could get slightly tweaked versions of the stock rom with stock kernel, but likely people won't even bother going that far.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-06-15 04:12 PM
44 12