Apparently almost all modern cpus including the arm-based chips in most smartphones are affected by the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.

BlackBerry said they stopped regular security updates but would make available security updates on an ad hoc basis in case of serious security problems for the Priv.

Any news on this?
    01-21-18 06:50 AM
    No. Also no news on the trade up program for the loyal BlackBerry Priv or BlackBerry OS10 users.
    Siren65 and bibbula like this.
    01-21-18 07:04 AM
    No. Also no news on the trade up program for the loyal BlackBerry Priv or BlackBerry OS10 users.
    The best tradeup program is called listing your device for sale. You'll never get as much for your device and when trading in. Like buying/selling automobile.
    01-21-18 07:49 AM
    The best tradeup program is called listing your device for sale. You'll never get as much for your device and when trading in. Like buying/selling automobile.
    I know, but it is another example, that BlackBerry and BlackBerry Mobile are doing nothing for rebuilding faith in their announces. Who should trust them in security ?
    HughJarsse likes this.
    01-21-18 07:57 AM
    I know, but it is another example, that BlackBerry and BlackBerry Mobile are doing nothing for rebuilding faith in their announces. Who should trust them in security ?
    I would edit your above comments to read 'Who should trust them' Full Stop!!
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-21-18 08:23 AM
    According to the German IT magazine ct, Alex Thurber gave them an interview in October 2016 in which he promised monthly security updates for all BlackBerry Android devices for at least two years after end of line (EOL) of the devices.
    In German law, claims made in public by a manufacturer or its representative are considered to be properties of the good sold and are covered by the 2 year statutory warranty period (from purchase of the product).... In theory a claim could be made against the seller of the Priv.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    01-21-18 09:06 AM
    According to the German IT magazine ct, Alex Thurber gave them an interview in October 2016 in which he promised monthly security updates for all BlackBerry Android devices for at least two years after end of line (EOL) of the devices.
    In German law, claims made in public by a manufacturer or its representative are considered to be properties of the good sold and are covered by the 2 year statutory warranty period (from purchase of the product).... In theory a claim could be made against the seller of the Priv.
    Sounds like a great idea and should be pursued. Keep everyone updated on the progress of the claim.
    01-21-18 09:38 AM
    Sounds like a great idea and should be pursued. Keep everyone updated on the progress of the claim.
    It makes more sense to me that they would announce a trade up when or shortly after they release their 2018 phones. Then you would have more options available.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    01-21-18 12:57 PM
    He clearly misspoke. Or the translation was off. This has been talked about before.

It obviously makes no logical sense. How does something that has reached end of support get 2 years more support?
    Last edited by conite; 01-21-18 at 02:12 PM.
    01-21-18 01:35 PM
    He clearly misspoke. Or the translation was off. This has been talked about before.

It obviously makes no logical sense. How does something that has reach end of support get 2 years more support?
    If they admit the phone is EOL immediately after sales start then they're off the hook, no?
    01-21-18 02:07 PM
    It obviously makes no logical sense. How does something that has reached end of support get 2 years more support?
    EOL is not the same as end of support. EOL means they are discontinuing them, no longer for sale, no more upgrades. It doesn't necessarily mean end of support.
    It actually stands for End Of Life, but thats obviously a misnomer.
    01-21-18 05:51 PM
    EOL is not the same as end of support. EOL means they are discontinuing them, no longer for sale, no more upgrades. It doesn't necessarily mean end of support.
    They were no longer in production for over a year and a half. They haven't been for sale since last spring.

To boot, Marshmallow will stop receiving OEM patches sometime this upcoming spring. So 2 years is impossible.
    PHughes likes this.
    01-21-18 05:52 PM
    They were no longer in production for over a year and a half.
    Mine says it was manufactured in March 2017...

Probably it was boxed in that date, but that is "production" anyway.
    01-21-18 06:25 PM
    They were no longer in production for over a year and a half. They haven't been for sale since last spring.

To boot, Marshmallow will stop receiving OEM patches sometime this upcoming spring. So 2 years is impossible.
    Not arguing that, just saying that EOL is not necessarily same as end of support.
    skinnymike1 and Siren65 like this.
    01-21-18 07:00 PM
    BlackBerry's EOL comes after EOS,

https://ca.blackberry.com/support/bu...le/terminology
    01-21-18 07:26 PM
    Not arguing that, just saying that EOL is not necessarily same as end of support.
    Like two five dollar bills are not the same as one ten dollar bill..
    Wezard likes this.
    01-21-18 07:28 PM
    Apparently almost all modern cpus including the arm-based chips in most smartphones are affected by the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.

BlackBerry said they stopped regular security updates but would make available security updates on an ad hoc basis in case of serious security problems for the Priv.

Any news on this?
    To answer you question, no one really knows.

October was the last update, but this is a big vulnerability... it is always possible that BlackBerry might rethink their stance on both the PRIV and BB10. But that will depend more on who is asking for it. Corporate customer with 100K BlackBerry UEM licences (spread over a number of devices) or some consumer that bought a discounted single device 18 months ago?

Priv would not be a major expense for BB, as Google does most the heavy lifting, so maybe a 10% chance. BB10.... I'd give it a .0000314 chance of seeing a patch.
    pdr733 and bibbula like this.
    01-22-18 09:57 AM
    well this is not quite an usual situation.

Imho BB will either:
    - offer little money for BB10 devices and thus gaining some revenue from people participating in the trade up program;
    - offer more money for BB10 devices and thus going even with the expenses
    anything in between these two - doesn't really matter.

I'll explain why I think they can decide going even with the expenses.
    They've made a lot of mistakes, brand-wise, marketing-wise and so on, and after people realize that, they might just be like "screw that, I'm losing few bucks (by not participating in this trade up program) but I'm getting a decent Samsung or iPhone or LG or anything. note: they might think so not because BB android are bad, but because they had a bad experience with the BB brand. So this trade up program will serve as a "medicine" to keep people on the BlackBerry brand and hoping sales will at least come from the next phones these people will buy (in 1 - 3 years period). Will BB decide to win short-term or long-term, to me this is the question.
    Last edited by joker333; 01-22-18 at 12:34 PM.
    01-22-18 12:23 PM
    well this is not quite an usual situation.

Imho BB will either:
    - offer little money for BB10 devices and thus gaining some revenue from people participating in the trade up program;
    - offer more money for BB10 devices and thus going even with the expenses
    anything in between these two - doesn't really matter.

I'll explain why I think they can decide going even with the expenses.
    They've made a lot of mistakes, brand-wise, marketing-wise and so on, and after people realize that, they might just be like "screw that, I'm losing few bucks (by not participating in this trade up program) but I'm getting a decent Samsung or iPhone or LG or anything. note: they might think so not because BB android are bad, but because they had a bad experience with the BB brand. So this trade up program will serve as a "medicine" to keep people on the BlackBerry brand and hoping sales will at least come from the next phones these people will buy (in 1 - 3 years period). Will BB decide to win short-term or long-term, to me this is the question.
    Unfortunately, I think you've put more emphasis on this compared to BBMo. That's first step, anything done will be done with BBMo and they don't really want old devices. BB left hardware, they don't want old devices. Somebody mentioned on here, this will probably more of an enterprise strategy than consumer strategy, and that makes a lot of sense more for both companies. Devices are losing value every second. Don't be the last one standing in BlackBerry Musical Chairs.
    01-22-18 12:45 PM
    Not necessarily. Back when Legere and Chen were having their spat, I got a great deal trading in an obsolete Curve for a Q10. (Not that I'm expecting that from BB, although the resale value of BB10 phones makes for a pretty low bar.)
    01-22-18 05:01 PM
    Not necessarily. Back when Legere and Chen were having their spat, I got a great deal trading in an obsolete Curve for a Q10. (Not that I'm expecting that from BB, although the resale value of BB10 phones makes for a pretty low bar.)
    Right, but it was Legere/T-Mo who paid for that, not BB.
    01-22-18 06:56 PM
    Right, but it was Legere/T-Mo who paid for that, not BB.
    And that's the thing, it's really only Carrier's that have the "slush" to make a trade-in offer worth something to the users..

Only option BlackBerry has is to use some of the high margins on UEM licensing to offset the losses on whatever they get per device for licensing each phone... but I don't see them doing this except for large enterprise accounts that are "fully" into the BlackBerry UEM offerings.
    01-24-18 07:33 AM
    Doesn't BlackBerry PRIV use the same chipset as a Nexus 5x? Instead of a coupon they could give out bootloader unlock codes to PRIV owners so they can flash their EOL bricks with a Nexus 5x ROM and be running Oreo with the latest security patch. Now there's a gift.
    01-24-18 07:49 AM
    Doesn't BlackBerry PRIV use the same chipset as a Nexus 5x? Instead of a coupon they could give out bootloader unlock codes to PRIV owners so they can flash their EOL bricks with a Nexus 5x ROM and be running Oreo with the latest security patch. Now there's a gift.
    You can't subsequently circumvent hardware root of trust.
    01-24-18 07:57 AM
    You can't subsequently circumvent hardware root of trust.
    Root of BS. You know that's a non-issue once the bootloader is unlocked. There is no hardware root of trust without a locked bootloader. In an unlocked state the device just boots without verifying the integrity if the bootloader and the partitions. I guess you would have to ask PRIV owners if a bootloader locked EOL device stuck on Marshmallow, with no security updates, is worth more to them than an unlocked one running Oreo with up to date security patches.

Anyway, as you know the comparison to the Snapdragon 808 equipped Nexus 5x running Oreo in 2018 was merely for demonstration purposes.
    01-24-18 09:17 AM
68 123