There is a major Root Certificate expiring on Sep 2021 (https://cloud7.news/article/lets-enc...-does-it-mean/), probably there will be more of them expiring soon too, and Android up to 7.1.1 is affected.

This is probably a very lame question, but as Priv gets no updates, should we be expecting that the system will stop trusting not only sites with Let's Encrypt's certificates but even Google Play and BlackBerry web sites if any are still used?

If yes, is there any Root Certificates update planned?
    11-22-20 11:47 AM
    There is a major Root Certificate expiring on Sep 2021 (https://cloud7.news/article/lets-enc...-does-it-mean/), probably there will be more of them expiring soon too, and Android up to 7.1.1 is affected.

This is probably a very lame question, but as Priv gets no updates, should we be expecting that the system will stop trusting not only sites with Let's Encrypt's certificates but even Google Play and BlackBerry web sites if any are still used?

I'd highly doubt it as the device is well beyond EOL so I'm not sure where it would come from 5-6 years later.
    moonflyer likes this.
    11-22-20 11:55 AM
    I'd highly doubt it as the device is well beyond EOL so I'm not sure where it would come from 5-6 years later.
    After RCs expire, it might be nice from the BBry side to publish the key to allow making custom ROMs that will extend life of Priv. Probably also not happening...
    11-22-20 12:19 PM
    After RCs expire, it might be nice from the BBry side to publish the key to allow making custom ROMs that will extend life of Priv. Probably also not happening...
    Nice in some Utopia but OEMs, especially like BlackBerry, didn't have the resources then, so exited the business and surely don't have the resources when TCL exited the business. Ironically, all participants are disincentived for multitude of reasons that all relate to possible future business.
    11-22-20 12:23 PM
    End of the road for Priv then in 2021... ((((
    11-22-20 12:37 PM
    Use Firefox it has its own root certificates
    11-23-20 05:26 AM
    If the BlackBerry Priv does ever open up to alternatives like Ubuntu Touch, Sailfish, and others, I wouldn't mind getting one for a lab experiment. 🤓
    11-23-20 07:51 PM
    If the BlackBerry Priv does ever open up to alternatives like Ubuntu Touch, Sailfish, and others, I wouldn't mind getting one for a lab experiment.
    It will happen right after the PlayBook and Passport.
    11-24-20 08:39 AM

Good news, it looks like a solution has been found that will work until 2024.
    12-22-20 03:02 AM