Any UK based Priv users on EE that got a text today saying they had enabled wifi calling on the phone?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-11-15 12:17 PM
    Did you?
    11-11-15 12:22 PM
    Yes.

Great news. WiFi calling is now set up on your phone. You can now use it to make calls and texts over WiFi. For more info visit ee.co.uk/wificalling

No info in Priv at the link
    raino likes this.
    11-11-15 01:00 PM
    Yes.

Great news. WiFi calling is now set up on your phone. You can now use it to make calls and texts over WiFi. For more info visit ee.co.uk/wificalling

No info in Priv at the link
    I have news tipped your post. Hopefully CrackBerry blog staff follows up and posts about it. If true, post-BBOS this would make EE the second carrier to support WFC on BB phones.

If you would like to check/tinker around, page 27 of the user guide (PDF link) has information about WFC.
    11-11-15 02:03 PM
    No wifi calling options in the areas it mentions. Guessing the text was just a mistake or will need a software update.

11-11-15 02:27 PM
    Any UK based Priv users on EE that got a text today saying they had enabled wifi calling on the phone?

Yes, I did:

I can't decide if it's working in my home or if the Priv has a great cellular radio that is pulling in the weak EE signal. Must check my router when making a call. Anyway, faultless reception.
    11-15-15 02:57 PM
    I can't decide if it's working in my home or if the Priv has a great cellular radio that is pulling in the weak EE signal. Must check my router when making a call. Anyway, faultless reception.
    If your call is being made on WiFi (instead of the cellular network,) there will be a WiFi calling icon on your screen that looks like this: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/35524900 (a phone handle/receiver with the WiFi icon over it.)

And from reading the manual, it sounds like the Call button in the dialer also changes to display this WFC icon. This is pretty handy as an indicator, and actually different from BB10 where the button stays the same regardless of the type of call.
    11-15-15 03:41 PM
    That doesn't happen but I do notice that when I come home and the Priv connects to WiFi, the "EE" in the status bar at the top goes out. My previous phones have never worked in the house but the Priv always does.
    11-21-15 07:31 AM
    Hi, I know this thread is a bit old now but wondered if anyone had used wifi calling much on EE with their Priv. Have been having a few issues with mine, the call quality on wifi is very hit and miss and keeps cutting out. I wanted to disable it but can't find the option in settings anywhere. According to the manual it should be under Settings->More->Wifi Calling but there is nothing like that on my phone.

I know it is definitely using wifi as when I manually disable wifi during a call the call drops and I get a message popup saying wifi call dropped.

I suspect it is an EE derivative firmware issue but wondered if anyone has the same issue?

I have tried a factory reset but it is exactly the same.

Thanks,

Paul.
    02-08-16 10:37 AM
    I've never got it working after I got that text. I put down to EE saying they only support wifi calling on phones sold direct by them. I bought mine sim free from CPW.

02-08-16 11:08 AM
    Hi, I know this thread is a bit old now but wondered if anyone had used wifi calling much on EE with their Priv. Have been having a few issues with mine, the call quality on wifi is very hit and miss and keeps cutting out. I wanted to disable it but can't find the option in settings anywhere. According to the manual it should be under Settings->More->Wifi Calling but there is nothing like that on my phone.

I know it is definitely using wifi as when I manually disable wifi during a call the call drops and I get a message popup saying wifi call dropped.

I suspect it is an EE derivative firmware issue but wondered if anyone has the same issue?

I have tried a factory reset but it is exactly the same.

Thanks,

Paul.
    Welcome to CrackBerry, Paul. Have you tried:

1. Checking if the Settings->More->Wifi Calling (WFC) menu is there when your SIM card is not in the phone?

2. Contacting EE to find out what they have to say about disabling WFC (despite what the manual says?) Someone at EE has to know; phones don't magically get the WFC capability, and it stands to reason that as part of the evaluation and approval process they would have looked at manual disabling as well. The trouble is that you may have to keep pushing this up the support chain until you get the right person at EE to answer this question for you.

I've never got it working after I got that text. I put down to EE saying they only support wifi calling on phones sold direct by them. I bought mine sim free from CPW.
    While it's certainly possible that what they're saying is true, on T-Mobile US (possibly the only other carrier in the world that supports WFC on the Priv,) the phone's origin does not matter; it just needs to be the STV100-1 model, and there may be I believe it has to have a TMO-approved OS version as well (not sure about the latter because I don't own a Priv.)

Up until recently, WFC on BB10 was the same way with TMO--same model of any origin, approved OS version. Now only the OS version requirement remains, and it's entirely possible to find and install the right OS version to make WFC work on any BB10 phone.
    02-08-16 12:21 PM
    Now here’s a funny thing. I bought a Priv a few weeks ago from the BB shop and I am using it with an EE 4g SIM card. Shortly after I started using it I received a text message form EE saying that I was set up for Wi-Fi calling. This came as a surprise. I searched the settings for a Wi-Fi calling but could not find one. Specifically, the path given by BB help Settings>More>Wi-Fi calling does not exist. So I deleted the text message as a piece of nonsense and forgot about it.

Fast-forward to this morning when I walked out of my office, connected to Wi-Fi, making a phone call. The further I walked the worse the call got until it disconnected. Looking at the handset there was a message to the effect that the call had been terminated as Wi-Fi connectivity had been lost.

From this I surmise that;
    1. The EE text message was right and that some form of background Wi-Fi calling has been enabled,
    2. If the Wi-Fi connection is lost during a call it does not fall over to the mobile network.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences? And how do I know if I am connected to use Wi-Fi calling or not? This is particularly important when roaming.
    Last edited by SouthOxon; 03-11-16 at 06:46 AM.
    03-11-16 06:12 AM
    When using wifi calling on the priv the signal bar shows services even when in the subway or tube
    05-25-16 11:55 PM
    Just an update on this. After updating to MM a few weeks ago the wifi calling options are now available and it works even though I have sim free unbranded BlackBerry Priv.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my BlackBerry Priv
    raino likes this.
    06-21-16 01:35 PM
    Just an update on this. After updating to MM a few weeks ago the wifi calling options are now available and it works even though I have sim free unbranded BlackBerry Priv.
    Cool. So EE seems to be mirroring TMO US' policy: WFC is made available as long as you have the same model Priv as the carrier sells (-4 and -1 for EE and TMO US, respectively.)
    06-21-16 01:58 PM
    2. If the Wi-Fi connection is lost during a call it does not fall over to the mobile network.
    EE website says you will only get a handover if you are in a 4g area. The call will drop if moving to 3g.
    06-21-16 02:08 PM