...I think (IMHO) that a little more thought in the finish of the new design might have been nice. Now that we are seeing what is likely to be the final release as far as trim, etc., why not make it look like a premium, flagship product like Samsung does, for instance? It just "looks" like another $2-$300 black slab, except for the obvious PKB-Why no metal trim piece aka Passport? Silver speaker grille bottom piece like the Passport SE? Obviously haven't held it or seen it in person, I can't comment on the build/ fit/ in hand feel, but it just doesn't do anything for me in the preview pics. Since I have no need for Android in particular, I have no "Oh Wow!" factor like the Passport to drive me to upgrade- or even the first slider (Torch) when I saw the previews, which I thought were amazing. By the way- looks very "LG" to me...... Thoughts?
    j21jam6 likes this.
    09-17-15 09:12 PM
    Obviously haven't held it or seen it in person
    Pictures never make a device look like what it really is.
    09-17-15 09:15 PM
    The leak photos do show a silver trim ring around the screen, but we won't know what the finishing details will be until BlackBerry officially releases the final production version of the Slider.
    09-17-15 09:22 PM
    The leak photos do show a silver trim ring around the screen, but we won't know what the finishing details will be until BlackBerry officially releases the production version of the Slider.
    look again, its not silver, its essentially a near flat black.

and I like the black look, I hope they have a red/black one, now that would look good!

my BlackBerry classic looks cheap with the dull silver border that stains easily btw. id much prefer if it was black like the q10.

even the silver frets are annoying. I want a murdered out phone to go along with a murdered out car...
    09-17-15 09:29 PM
    The leak photos do show a silver trim ring around the screen, but we won't know what the finishing details will be until BlackBerry officially releases the final production version of the Slider.
    I'm hoping the one "spy" photo that appears to show a silver trim will turn out to be the final release. But if BB wants a "commercial" success, whatever that means to them, the phone needs to stand out from the $200-$300 slabs. I don't see that in the previews.
    09-17-15 09:36 PM

and I like the black look, I hope they have a red/black one, now that would look good!

my BlackBerry classic looks cheap with the dull silver border that stains easily btw. id much prefer if it was black like the q10.

even the silver frets are annoying. I want a murdered out phone to go along with a murdered out car...
    It's just a thin ring, not like the thick one around the Classic, but it actually shows in a number of the photos despite the poor lighting, if you look closely.
    Attached Thumbnails Why is the Slider flagship BB just a black slab?-blackberry-venice-trim-2.jpg  
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 09-17-15 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Just updated the image.
    MO3iusONE and z3user like this.
    09-17-15 10:00 PM

Would you want it all matte black, or glossy?

Obviously it wouldn't happen, but I think a an all matte black Q5/Q10/Passport would look pretty awesome

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    09-17-15 10:18 PM
    If it would look like those ugly ugly Samsung devices I'd stick to my Classic honestly...

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 02:08 AM
    ...I think (IMHO) that a little more thought in the finish of the new design might have been nice. Now that we are seeing what is likely to be the final release as far as trim, etc., why not make it look like a premium, flagship product like Samsung does, for instance? It just "looks" like another $2-$300 black slab, except for the obvious PKB-Why no metal trim piece aka Passport? Silver speaker grille bottom piece like the Passport SE? Obviously haven't held it or seen it in person, I can't comment on the build/ fit/ in hand feel, but it just doesn't do anything for me in the preview pics. Since I have no need for Android in particular, I have no "Oh Wow!" factor like the Passport to drive me to upgrade- or even the first slider (Torch) when I saw the previews, which I thought were amazing. By the way- looks very "LG" to me...... Thoughts?
    I have to agree with you100%. The Passport looks amazing from all angles. I'm hopeful as well that the final version has a lot more pop than what we see in the video. To be sure, not everyone is going to be happy with the final product. For me I do want something the visually stands out. Nonetheless I'm buying it regardless.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    garpt likes this.
    09-18-15 08:00 PM
    It's just a thin ring, not like the thick one around the Classic, but it actually shows in a number of the photos despite the poor lighting, if you look closely.
    Good catch.
    I guess that may be a slight metal trim. Not nearly enough though. Even the 9850/60 had the metal band. That phone was my absolute favorite BlackBerry device prior to the release of the BlackBerry 10 line. That phone was beautiful. And with the curved edges it was a joy to hold.

Posted one-handed via Passport
    09-18-15 08:06 PM
    It does look cheap compared to the SE but I anm pretty sure the SE was originally supposed to be a Porsche design device. If you compare it to the original passport or the classic or the leap it looks ok. The z30 and passport SE stand apart from the rest as much nicer though imo.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    09-18-15 08:33 PM
    I don't think the outer frame of the Classic is actually metal, at most plastic anodized or plated with some. Those are not stains, but metal that scratched off. Mine's scratched and it shows a dark black material below it, which looks like plastic.
    09-18-15 08:37 PM
    I don't think the outer frame of the Classic is actually metal, at most plastic anodized or plated with some. Those are not stains, but metal that scratched off. Mine's scratched and it shows a dark black material below it, which looks like plastic.
    I think it's an aluminum alloy which could technically be classified as a metal

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    09-18-15 09:17 PM
    It's an evaluation unit.

The OG Passports leak videos didn't show off the real backing cover and other smaller cosmetic changes until it was an actual launch unit leak or so.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 09:33 PM
    Simple, clean, strikingly attractive. The Slider looks perfectly fine to me. The Samsung flagships are chintzy to me--just the ugliest phones on the market. Go buy an ugly phone, but leave BlackBerry's brilliant design ethos alone.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 09:36 PM
    Simple, clean, strikingly attractive. The Slider looks perfectly fine to me. The Samsung flagships are chintzy to me--just the ugliest phones on the market. Go buy an ugly phone, but leave BlackBerry's brilliant design ethos alone.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not going to buy an "ugly phone"- which actually is a matter of opinion- but Blackberry needs a winner, and IMO, when someone walks into a carrier's store, they are bombarded with dozens of black slabs, nothing "special" phones. Knowing marketing, I also know first impressions count, and I'm not talking about BB "fanboys" who are going to buy the phone regardless. It's time for BB to think about how to Grow the base again. I'm certain it's going to be an excellent device. But whether or not we believe that "image" counts, (I don't and most techies and fanboys don't), - it matters.
    We will see what the final device looks like....
    09-18-15 10:45 PM
    BlackBerry should have gone with CrackBerry orange. Missed opportunity.
    00stryder and anon(7915689) like this.
    09-18-15 10:49 PM
    Puke lol
    09-18-15 10:58 PM
    You guys want a phone to stand out.. This thing has a slide out keyboard. That right there stands out. There's no other phone.. None, which a physical keyboard. And that Samsung keyboard case doesn't count.

I don't know how else this phone can stand out, I mean the entire thing is all screen with very little bezel. Maybe they can change the back of the phone but that's about it. I own a note 4 and just about every note has looked the same from the front. Not much you can do with a slab of screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-18-15 11:50 PM
    This phone will sell like crazy. 5.3" is big enough..couple that with a pkb.....hidden? Simply beautiful!

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    ayngling likes this.
    09-18-15 11:59 PM
    This phone will sell like crazy. 5.3" is big enough..couple that with a pkb.....hidden? Simply beautiful!
    No it won't. There's plenty of Android phones that look to "do Android" better than this one.

I doubt there will be too many changes to the RTM version, especially considering how much it looks like the Leap.

Given the total lack of design that goes into Android these days (hey look, I can draw some squares!) I suspect BlackBerry adopted the same child that designed lollymuffin of whatever it is to design this phone.
    09-19-15 01:56 AM
    I'm not going to buy an "ugly phone"- which actually is a matter of opinion- but Blackberry needs a winner, and IMO, when someone walks into a carrier's store, they are bombarded with dozens of black slabs, nothing "special" phones. Knowing marketing, I also know first impressions count, and I'm not talking about BB "fanboys" who are going to buy the phone regardless. It's time for BB to think about how to Grow the base again. I'm certain it's going to be an excellent device. But whether or not we believe that "image" counts, (I don't and most techies and fanboys don't), - it matters.
    We will see what the final device looks like....
    BlackBerry's designs have been getting awards year after year. The Slider has a curved screen, a huge camera module, a sliding mechanism, that beautiful speaker grill. I think it's a striking phone, definitely not underdesigned. And I'm scratching my head to think of another all black phone on the market that looks anything like the Venice.

It employs the same design ethos as the OG Passport imo. The Venice looks amazing. And I think it's exactly the kind of badass looking phone that people want--people want a BlackBerry...it's just that they also want Android.

In fact, I think they silver camera ring is a little much for my tastes. But oh well.

Who makes a phone that looks better than the Venice?
    And who makes a phone that looks anything like the Venice?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 05:33 AM
    Carrier better be showing off properly the Slider, with some mechanisms that open and close the Slider on the display in the store otherwise no one will ever know that there is a hidden keyboard below the 5.4" screen....

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 06:10 AM
    Carrier better be showing off properly the Slider, with some mechanisms that open and close the Slider on the display in the store otherwise no one will ever know that there is a hidden keyboard below the 5.4" screen....

Posted via CB10
    Imagine the surprise when someone buys it without realizing it's a slider, and all of a sudden a week later they accidentally open it
    09-19-15 06:22 AM
    You guys want a phone to stand out.. This thing has a slide out keyboard. That right there stands out. There's no other phone.. None, which a physical keyboard. And that Samsung keyboard case doesn't count.

I don't know how else this phone can stand out, I mean the entire thing is all screen with very little bezel. Maybe they can change the back of the phone but that's about it. I own a note 4 and just about every note has looked the same from the front. Not much you can do with a slab of screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Thing is the Samsung keyboard DOES stand out... for being the fugly one.
    09-19-15 06:33 AM
29 12