I am, and have been, a Blackberry investor. I do understand there are 2 systems used in cell phone communication, but fail to understand why BBRY Priv will not be compatible with the US largest carrier?
    Another question - I am signing up for Project Fi, Google, which claims that it can use any cell tower by accessing as usual or alternatively with wi fi...they sold me on a Nexus 6 as Nexus is the only phone (supposedly) with this capability.
    Why is BBRY not able to do this? I have seriously wanted a Passport since they came out, but it was not compatible with my carrier...now I am stuck with another phone when I REALLY want a Passport or Priv...
    Can someone please tell me: Will BBRY succeed with the carriers they have for the Priv, and WHY do they not make a phone that is compatible with all carriers? Thanks in advance for your help!
    10-27-15 04:38 PM
    There should be a Verizon-compatible (i.e. CDMA) variant of the Priv coming. There was a rumour earlier that it's in early 2016, but who knows.
    Unfortunately none of the CDMA carriers picked up the Passport. AT&T had it and had an exclusive version. I can't remember if AT&T had exclusivity or were just the only USA carrier interested.

The reason why BB doesn't sell them direct is that traditionally the CDMA carriers only sell devices locked to their network. ShopBlackBerry.com only sells unlocked devices.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    10-27-15 05:32 PM
    Here you go, this is the other thread I mentioned discussing Priv releasing on Verizon in 2016:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...016-a-1044601/
    10-27-15 05:38 PM
    For a phone to work on Verizon, it needs to be approved by Verizon. If it isn't--for whatever reason--it won't work on Verizon. Same with Sprint, and any other CDMA carrier.
    Elite1 likes this.
    10-27-15 08:06 PM
    Why is Priv not compatible with Verizon?-img_20151030_083251.png
    Why is Priv not compatible with Verizon?-img_20151030_083251_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 07:37 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151030_083251.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	355.1 KB 
ID:	378169
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151030_083251_edit.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	657.9 KB 
ID:	378170
    How likely is this to be fake/photoshopped?
    10-30-15 09:47 AM
    There should be a Verizon-compatible (i.e. CDMA) variant of the Priv coming. There was a rumour earlier that it's in early 2016, but who knows.
    Unfortunately none of the CDMA carriers picked up the Passport. AT&T had it and had an exclusive version. I can't remember if AT&T had exclusivity or were just the only USA carrier interested.

The reason why BB doesn't sell them direct is that traditionally the CDMA carriers only sell devices locked to their network. ShopBlackBerry.com only sells unlocked devices.
    That's not really true anymore.... it was until very recently. But there are plenty of Verizon customers ordering the Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X that include CDMA radios, even though Verizon isn't official carrying them. And the newer iPhones for the US market, they have CDMA and will work on Verizon, even if you bought it at T-Mobile, AT&T, the Apple Store or other retailer (other than SPRINT), and the iMore people will tell you that Verizon isn't blocking unlocked iPhones anymore.

If BlackBerry wanted to do it... they could have.
    10-30-15 10:11 AM
    You can't just buy a CDMA compatible phone and bring it to a CDMA carrier! That's why there's no CDMA Priv yet.

Look at Apple, with all they cash and leverage they have... try buying an iPhone from their apple store and bring it to verizon. Then report on what happens.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 10:24 AM
    That's not really true anymore.... it was until very recently. But there are plenty of Verizon customers ordering the Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X that include CDMA radios, even though Verizon isn't official carrying them. And the newer iPhones for the US market, they have CDMA and will work on Verizon, even if you bought it at T-Mobile, AT&T, the Apple Store or other retailer (other than SPRINT), and the iMore people will tell you that Verizon isn't blocking unlocked iPhones anymore.

If BlackBerry wanted to do it... they could have.
    The difference is that in all of your examples, the phones are all approved for use on Verizon (which is not necessarily the same as the IMEIs are in Verizon's database.) Even the 6p and 5x are, otherwise a) Google wouldn't be telling people to call Verizon with activation problems (implying that people should buy the phones for use on Verizon, they just may face problems) and b) they wouldn't register on Verizon's CDMA network. We don't know yet if this is the case for the Priv--that it has been approved by Verizon for use on its network.

But if you were talking about the Classic -3/5, Z30 -3, etc. then yes--BlackBerry could have sold them through ShopBB. But they chose to sell them through the channel that sells the most of those types of phones: the carriers themselves.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-30-15 10:24 AM
    Look at Apple, with all they cash and leverage they have... try buying an iPhone from their apple store and bring it to verizon. Then report on what happens.
    That will work, actually. As long as you're buying the right variant that's approved for Verizon. If you were to buy a GSM-only variant or a Sprint-only variant, then yes--it wouldn't work.
    10-30-15 10:26 AM
    Thanks for clarifying Raino!
    10-30-15 10:37 AM
    The difference is that in all of your examples, the phones are all approved for use on Verizon (which is not necessarily the same as the IMEIs are in Verizon's database.) Even the 6p and 5x are, otherwise a) Google wouldn't be telling people to call Verizon with activation problems (implying that people should buy the phones for use on Verizon, they just may face problems) and b) they wouldn't register on Verizon's CDMA network. We don't know yet if this is the case for the Priv--that it has been approved by Verizon for use on its network.

But if you were talking about the Classic -3/5, Z30 -3, etc. then yes--BlackBerry could have sold them through ShopBB. But they chose to sell them through the channel that sells the most of those types of phones: the carriers themselves.
    I get it.... I'm just pointing out that there are unlocked and unbranded phone now able to connect to Verizon's network. And if Apple, Huawei and LG (Google most likely played a part in getting the new Nexus devices approved) have their new phones approved... why not BlackBerry?

I understand that BlackBerry would much rather have Verizon being their front man in the US, handling inventory, orders and SUPPORT. But in exchange Verizon usually wants exclusivity if they can get it (doesn't work anymore on the BIG phones - iPhones and Galaxy that have too much branding value). But that is why Verizon is still asking $499 for the Z30, why they probable wouldn't contractually allow BB sell CDMA phones on ShopBB.

It all comes down to how powerful your position in the market is......
    raino likes this.
    10-30-15 10:50 AM
    I get it.... I'm just pointing out that there are unlocked and unbranded phone now able to connect to Verizon's network. And if Apple, Huawei and LG (Google most likely played a part in getting the new Nexus devices approved) have their new phones approved... why not BlackBerry?

I understand that BlackBerry would much rather have Verizon being their front man in the US, handling inventory, orders and SUPPORT. But in exchange Verizon usually wants exclusivity if they can get it (doesn't work anymore on the BIG phones - iPhones and Galaxy that have too much branding value). But that is why Verizon is still asking $499 for the Z30, why they probable wouldn't contractually allow BB sell CDMA phones on ShopBB.

It all comes down to how powerful your position in the market is......
    Exactly. Market position. Either the demand necessitating approval is there (iPhones,) or Verizon doesn't want to miss out on their solid, "midcard" sales of a particular model (Samsungs, LGs, etc.) or they see something in a phone and hopes it will be their home run (WP. Keyword: hope.) Outside of established players, it's a hard market to crack. When was the last time TMO, Sprint or even AT&T carried a Motorola phone that was not a Nexus? Where are the higher end ZTE, Xiaomi, etc. phones? You get the point.

But the common denominator in all these phones is that Verizon has to approve them. It's not like you can just put out a CDMA 800/850/1900, LTE 2/4/13 phone out and satiate your Verizon customers if Verizon doesn't even certify the phones, much less stock them.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-30-15 01:14 PM