Last night I brought my Priv back to life with a battery replacement procedure. It went flawless and I am in love again with the Priv. What is it about this phone's hardware that makes me come back to it again and again?

I like to think of myself as a realistic and pragmatic person with some creativity mixed in. I like the Priv's hardware a lot. I may even go as far as labeling it the most gorgeous phone I ever possesed. What is the 'Siren Song' this device posseses and the K1, K2 and other recent BlackBerry's are lacking? I pondered this question in my free time lately and came up with 3 reasons why this phone has this much 'sex appeal' to me.

1. The screen

The screen is both the USP of this phone and it's achilles' heel. Yes, it is a gorgeous, QHD screen (just look at those curves on the edges) which is still very, very good compared to 2018 phones. I especially love how I can use the entire screen with the keyboard popped out. Having said that, I understand why the Priv is struggling with it's battery life and processor. It is just too big of a drain. But when I put it away and use another phone for a while, the Priv's screen is always ther, waiting to be gazed upon. Am I alone in this?

2. The secret keyboard / slider action

As much as I enjoyed the keyboard on the K1 (BE), it is still there when I don't need it. Before y'all respond with 'why don't you go all pkb-less then'; I want to have a choice. I want to have the option if the VKB when I want to adress a BBM / whatsapp / sms quickly. I adore the slide right/left action with quick responses on the BlackBerry VKB. Not to mention the flick up gestures which save me a lot of time.

But when I need the extra screen space, or don't want to make mistakes being under pressure, I slide out that wonderful keyboard and tap away on the PKB. Nothing beats the choice I have when using a Priv. I like VKB's and PKB's and have a use case for them both. The Priv gives me that choice in a way other phones (even BlackBerry's) don't.

3. The back of the Priv

It just oozes business and style as far as I'm concerned. I know a lot of people are put of by the creaking and 'plasticness' of the back. I am not among them. And I am a nutter for camera placement. I know this is trivial for most, but I like it when the camera placement is in the middle of the back of the phone. And did I mention the non-slippery material? It is the best when handling the Priv one-handed.

So what makes this a next-gen phone (hardware related)? Just put the k1 or k2 next to the Priv. It just looks like a newer, sleeker and more modern device.

What do you think? Is the BlackBerry Priv a nextgen Phone based on its looks and hardware?
    Last edited by CopperWireNL; 07-29-18 at 03:19 PM. Reason: corrected some typos
    Qorax, Mecca EL, bqik and 3 others like this.
    07-29-18 06:02 AM
    What do you think?
    Well said. And I absolutely agree. Priv was a next gen design, unbeat by any till date.
    Last edited by Qorax; 07-30-18 at 07:24 AM. Reason: typo
    nah.uhh and anon(10218918) like this.
    07-29-18 08:49 AM
    I agree with OP, especially about the screen. It is gorgeous.
    07-29-18 11:28 AM
    So those slide right and left action and the flick up with the VKB is also avaliable with the hardware keyboard as well. Just incase you didn't know.
    07-29-18 05:41 PM
    because it was & still is... I say BlackBerry should find another maker and license Priv design and get it done with matched updated innerds and better heat dissIpation & let the good times roll... add fingerprint in screen or spacebar, USB-c, and it's a winner (remove BlackBerry name and bloat for better chance of sales)
    Qorax likes this.
    07-30-18 07:00 AM
    remove BlackBerry name
    Nope. Keep it I'd say. It is distinct ~ and we'd love to flaunt it
    Sigewif likes this.
    07-30-18 07:26 AM
    Nope. Keep it I'd say. It is distinct ~ and we'd love to flaunt it
    Yes, I have come to understand the mindset of BlackBerry o'er Passport - PRIV - KEYᴼᴺᴱ and don't mind the BlackBerry moniker. The general population is either amazed BlackBerry still exists or considers it junk... Widen the customer base & win !!
    Qorax and Sigewif like this.
    07-30-18 07:34 AM
    because it was & still is... I say BlackBerry should find another maker and license Priv design and get it done with matched updated innerds and better heat dissIpation & let the good times roll... add fingerprint in screen or spacebar, USB-c, and it's a winner (remove BlackBerry name and bloat for better chance of sales)
    Ok, so let's wait till a manufacturer knocks on Chen's door and wants to pay to license the Priv's design.

As of now, all I hear is

Why the Priv looks and feels like a nextgen BlackBerry phone-screenshot_20180730-151836.jpg
    07-30-18 09:19 AM
    BlackBerry and Chen are no good at sales...
    07-30-18 11:19 AM
    I had BlackBerry tourch 9800 9810 brilliant phones my wife still uses 9810. except for passport never had or interested in any other.except priv. this is my front line phone .
    have no ambition to change without slider.
    nah.uhh likes this.
    07-30-18 11:29 AM
    I agree with the OP. I love the PRIV and would be delighted if a PRIV2 were produced. One thing not mentioned: the main camera was marvelous in 2015 (except it was a little slow). It should be upgraded too, and would be something I would focus on. . The selfie camera was poor and would need upgrading for sure.
    Yes, I love the slide-out keyboard and the gorgeous screen. I still use my PRIV as a backup phone for my KEYone.
    07-31-18 10:47 AM