Saying no by BlackBerry to Android 7 for BlackBerry Priv is like ditching the only high end phone by itself. Please win loyalties of the customers for future opportunities. Please send Android Nougat to this device
    02-23-18 03:22 PM
    Saying no by BlackBerry to Android 7 for BlackBerry Priv is like ditching the only high end phone by itself. Please win loyalties of the customers for future opportunities. Please send Android Nougat to this device
    BlackBerry is no longer in the device hardware business. They provided one update plus 2 years of patches.

They have nothing further to sell you in the future.
    02-23-18 03:27 PM
    BlackBerry sent all their coders packing...
    02-23-18 03:59 PM
    This is the reality. Golden years of blackberry is over. Hopefully, blackberry can sign up with more hardware vendors. I like to see Samsung + Blackberry keyboard.
    02-23-18 04:12 PM
    It's pretty crappy on BlackBerry's part but nothing can be done about it except showing your dissatisfaction with your future purchasing decisions.
    02-23-18 06:30 PM
    It's pretty crappy on BlackBerry's part but nothing can be done about it except showing your dissatisfaction with your future purchasing decisions.
    BlackBerry has nothing else to sell you though.
    02-23-18 07:08 PM
    BlackBerry has nothing else to sell you though.
    They are getting some kind of cut on the BBMo sales.
    02-23-18 08:40 PM
    And from Hub suite, assuming anyone is actually paying for that.

They might still get some cut from Emtek too.
    02-23-18 08:42 PM
    Sure. But one should take it out on TCL because they don't want a few bucks to go BlackBerry's way? Seems like an odd thing to do.

Guess one shouldn't buy one of the 6 in 10 cars with QNX either since BlackBerry gets a cut.

That'll show 'em for not giving the Priv Nougat.
    KellyM4 likes this.
    02-23-18 09:54 PM
    Because BlackBerry doesn't care.
    They might not have anything to sell from a hardware perspective in the future but that still doesn't mean what they did was crappy. sc***ing their customers.
    Something that they had become pretty regular at.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.3.2163
    02-23-18 10:48 PM
    Sure. But one should take it out on TCL because they don't want a few bucks to go BlackBerry's way? Seems like an odd thing to do.

Guess one shouldn't buy one of the 6 in 10 cars with QNX either since BlackBerry gets a cut.

That'll show 'em for not giving the Priv Nougat.
    Fair enough. One shouldn't be taking it out on TCL.
    You and me understand that because we know how the whole licensing works.
    That's not how people at large see it. And in the end people at large need to buy the phones to make BBM turn a profit.

02-23-18 10:50 PM
    Fair enough. One shouldn't be taking it out on TCL.
    You and me understand that because we know how the whole licensing works.
    That's not how people at large see it. And in the end people at large need to buy the phones to make BBM turn a profit.

I understand, but I wasn't really responding to "people-at-large".
    02-23-18 11:02 PM
    Fair enough. That should be BlackBerry/BBM's job anyway I believe.

02-23-18 11:04 PM
    Blackberry doesn't have enough resources to update their phones. That's all, no need to confuse yourself with how licensing thing work.
    02-24-18 01:15 AM
    And in the end people at large need to buy the phones to make BBM turn a profit.
    Sounds suspiciously like those saying we need to buy BB phones to support BB.
    It's not my job to support BB, or BBMo, it's their job to produce something I want.

BB has managed to tick a lot of people off, the Priv updates just being the latest. When TLC bought, licensed or what ever the BB name, they also bought, licensed or whatever, that anger. I'm assuming they were aware of that going into the deal. It's now BBMo's job to prove they are a better company than BB, along with producing a device that people want. So far they have done neither. In the case of something people want, that is entirely my opinion. In the case of being a better company, they simply have not had enough time to do so. I'm willing to give them a chance, if BBMo comes out with a phone I want, I'll buy.
    The people angry with BB don't care who makes the hardware, they are not angry about the hardware. BlackBerry Limited is still heavily involved in the software for, and making money on, the software for BBMo. It's the software, or lack of, that has people upset. Right, wrong or indifferent, that anger is going to follow the brand.

The real bottom line is, Priv is NOT going to get am OS upgrade, and it's highly doubtful that it will ever get a security update, no matter what threats may appear.
    The Priv is just going to fade into niche history running Android 6.0.1 at the Oct 5, 2017 patch level.
    - BTW, I quoted AmtitD here, but it's not really aimed at him in particular.
    02-24-18 06:22 AM
    Seems to me that anybody who keeps up with BlackBerry news enough to know that the priv isn't getting updated also has to know that BlackBerry isn't making or selling phones anymore.
    internetzorro likes this.
    02-24-18 06:41 AM
    And anyway, how many Priv users are there left anyway?

Blackberry pulling the plug on Nougat probably knew there weren't enough of users to bother with it I guess? Maybe there were already happy enough with TCL's K1 sales.

And those Privers who remain, probably bought that phone for its PKB. Therefore most of them will probably jump to KEYone anyway, or have done so already.
    02-24-18 02:35 PM

Blackberry pulling the plug on Nougat probably knew there weren't enough of users to bother with it I guess? Maybe there were already happy enough with TCL's K1 sales.

And those Privers who remain, probably bought that phone for its PKB. Therefore most of them will probably jump to KEYone anyway, or have done so already.
    Considering the Priv and the Keyone were the only devices to get a major launch push (reasonable carrier support, launch in many countries, a marketing campaign, etc), it wouldn't surprise me if the Priv still made up most or at the very least a sizeable chunk of BB Android's marketshare.
    02-24-18 03:04 PM

I'm getting mine repaired soon.
    02-24-18 04:20 PM
    (reasonable carrier support
    There was no Carrier support in the US. AT&T was given a 6 month, ( I think it was 6) exclusive. But the AT&T device wouldn't receive emails or SMS, due to AT&T's 'special sauce' OS. The Factory ones worked fine. BB promptly released an update that fixed it, but AT&T refused to release it. Privs were returned to AT&T in droves. Salespeople were telling everyone that 90+% of them were being returned within days.
    - So no carrier support in the US, just the opposite, AT&T destroted the Priv's US reputation right at launch.
    Apparently all those returned and unsold AT&T units were later dumped on the 3rd party market, leading to the "no update, without an active AT&T SIM" fiasco, even though the devices were sold as unlocked.
    BTW, no idea how many Priv users are left now, But I doubt any of them would trade theirs for a dozen Key1's.
    02-24-18 08:52 PM
    There was no Carrier support in the US. AT&T was given a 6 month, ( I think it was 6) exclusive. But the AT&T device wouldn't receive emails or SMS, due to AT&T's 'special sauce' OS. The Factory ones worked fine. BB promptly released an update that fixed it, but AT&T refused to release it. Privs were returned to AT&T in droves. Salespeople were telling everyone that 90+% of them were being returned within days.
    - So no carrier support in the US, just the opposite, AT&T destroted the Priv's US reputation right at launch.
    Apparently all those returned and unsold AT&T units were later dumped on the 3rd party market, leading to the "no update, without an active AT&T SIM" fiasco, even though the devices were sold as unlocked.
    BTW, no idea how many Priv users are left now, But I doubt any of them would trade theirs for a dozen Key1's.
    It did launch on Verizon and T-Mobile eventually though which is still pretty significant (especially for BlackBerry given some of their past carrier problems).

CES 2016: BlackBerry PRIV Coming to T-Mobile and Verizon (and Available Now on Vodafone UK) | Inside BlackBerry

The AT&T issues may have hurt the Priv's reception and it certainly wasn't a runaway success (in hindsight) but I don't think that necessarily conflicts with the Priv potentially making up a sizeable portion of BB Android's marketshare.
    02-25-18 11:32 AM
    Priv potentially making up a sizeable portion of BB Android's marketshare.
    Didn't mean to say, or imply that it is or isn't. I have no idea.
    It's just that most have forgotten or didn't know how badly AT&T's refusal to release that software hurt the Priv, and BB in general.
    And I'm not laying the blame all on AT&T, it never should have been released with Lollipop, thats on BB. Both BB and AT&T should have tested enough to know the device wasn't going to work. Specially since it was the only hands on, carrier backed way to get one.
    02-25-18 05:41 PM
    Didn't mean to say, or imply that it is or isn't. I have no idea.
    It's just that most have forgotten or didn't know how badly AT&T's refusal to release that software hurt the Priv, and BB in general.
    And I'm not laying the blame all on AT&T, it never should have been released with Lollipop, thats on BB. Both BB and AT&T should have tested enough to know the device wasn't going to work. Specially since it was the only hands on, carrier backed way to get one.
    Oh definitely, BlackBerry got a lot right with the Priv but they made some critical mistakes (although to be fair, some like the SOC problems were out of their control).
    02-25-18 05:58 PM
    Would be nice if they brought Nougat to the Priv but it won't happen, that device is EOL.

Blackberry dropped the ball in 2011 after the playbook launched, had a decent amount of time to recover but never did due to poor management decisions that continued to occur.

Oh well.
    02-25-18 11:40 PM
    Hence why I will never buy any device that Blackberry is involved with. Will never get another penny from me again!
    02-28-18 10:35 PM
43 12