Hi!

Got my new AT&T Unlocked Priv. Updated to 6.0.1 Marshmallow through Thurask's Autoloader. Went smooth.

But, ever since the last 36 hours or so, the Priv is updating/upgrading some App or another. It has upgraded practically each app on the unit (built-in as well as the fresh downloads).

Its draining the battery, making the unit a bit warm. Besides, why does one really need so many updates?

Is it okay to allow the unit to upgrade everything it seeks? Is there a way to stop this from happening (bothers me during work hours, when I could be needing the phone for work)? Or will this all stop in a few days?

PS: Do I need all these AT&T Apps/Widgets? Family map, Locker, Navigator, Protect Plus, Smart Wifi? Should I disable them?

Pankaj Jaju, Goa
    07-20-16 09:46 AM
    In your settings in App Store there is a setting to stop the automatic update and turn on manual.
    07-20-16 09:47 AM
    Yeah, turn it off.

Not only does it hammer your battery unnecessarily there's a real risk of getting a bad update to an app that hoses it. You really ought to look before doing, and only do when you want it to.
    07-20-16 10:03 AM
    Hi!

Got my new AT&T Unlocked Priv. Updated to 6.0.1 Marshmallow through Thurask's Autoloader. Went smooth.

But, ever since the last 36 hours or so, the Priv is updating/upgrading some App or another. It has upgraded practically each app on the unit (built-in as well as the fresh downloads).

Its draining the battery, making the unit a bit warm. Besides, why does one really need so many updates?

Is it okay to allow the unit to upgrade everything it seeks? Is there a way to stop this from happening (bothers me during work hours, when I could be needing the phone for work)? Or will this all stop in a few days?

PS: Do I need all these AT&T Apps/Widgets? Family map, Locker, Navigator, Protect Plus, Smart Wifi? Should I disable them?

Pankaj Jaju, Goa
    Carrier bloatware is up to you. None of it is mandatory for the phone itself to function normally, though of course if you make use of those apps or the features they may provide, disabling them will make all that useless. I've even disabled most of the BB apps, because I'm a long term Android user, and have my preferred apps for pretty much everything already. But, if it's literally constantly updating and never making progress in the available updates, you might have some other problem. I always auto update my installed apps, and I never see updates last more than 10-15 minutes at a time, maybe a couple times a week depending on the app and software lifecycle turnaround times. If it is in fact constantly updating, you might want to try wiping the play store data on your device, it won't hurt anything to do so, and generally clears up any issues you might have of this nature.
    07-20-16 10:08 AM
    Disable any app you don't want or use, (unless you can un-install, which is the better option). If you change your mind, it's easy enough to enable,(or re-install).

There will be a lot of app updates after going to MM, still doing it after 36 hours seems excessive. And there are a lot of app updates period, specially if you have a lot of apps.

I get update notifications a fair amount during the day, but 98% of the updates don't occur till it's on the charger at night.
    Go to Apps under settings, Tap Google Play store, tap data usage, turn restrict app background cellular data ON. This way it will only update when you are connected to WiFi. Unless you are connected to WiFi at work it'll solve that problem.

While you are in the app's menu, scroll and turn on restrict background cellular data for all apps that don't need to be sending or receiving data on the cellular network while they are closed and not in use. They will work just like normal when you open them. This will save you a bit of data and battery usage, not to mention, slowing down the data mining of these apps.
    07-20-16 10:24 AM
    Because developers are all on top of Android. That's why.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv on Rogers Network.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-20-16 10:25 AM
    I've had both BlackBerry and android phones for years and android apps update constantly. Daily. You could say that BlackBerry devs get it right the first time and android devs are just on top o f things and always improving; I don't know which is true, but android apps just update constantly.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-20-16 10:36 AM
    I probably get a notice that 4 to 6 apps have updates daily or every other day. I then got and see what's proposed, what the app's developer says it being changed and decide. But there's a slew of Google apps that I've not updated in ages. It would be nice to just hide them until I'm interested.

I changed mine to Manual. But I do get notices.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    07-20-16 12:09 PM
    Hi F2 !

Can you please give me a step-by-step as to how I change ALL updates to MANUAL.

Thanks to all others for their assists.

Pankaj
    07-20-16 12:18 PM
    I am not following the above directions for changing the automatic updates. I go to Settings, Apps, Google Play, but there is no Data Usage. If I scroll down to each of the categories and tap on them, I just get a description of that area. So right now I really don't see how I can change the settings to only update over WiFi or only update manually. Please advise.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-20-16 12:45 PM
    In the Google Play Store go into settings and set under General "Do not auto update applications" .
    FF22 likes this.
    07-20-16 12:49 PM
    Thanks, Rich.

07-20-16 09:55 PM
    I know having apps to update is an unfamiliar experience on a BlackBerry, but you'll get used to it soon.
    07-20-16 10:06 PM
    In the Google Play Store go into settings and set under General "Do not auto update applications" .
    Hi

Have no 'general' tab in my Google Play Store!

Posted via CrackBerry for BlackBerry PRIV
    07-20-16 10:37 PM
    OK! Got it. Thanks.

Posted via CrackBerry for BlackBerry PRIV
    07-20-16 10:40 PM
    I am not following the above directions for changing the automatic updates. I go to Settings, Apps, Google Play, but there is no Data Usage. If I scroll down to each of the categories and tap on them, I just get a description of that area. So right now I really don't see how I can change the settings to only update over WiFi or only update manually. Please advise.

Sounds like you are mixing up auto update, and WiFi only. WiFi only is not labeled as such.
    To prevent updates from coming over the cellular network unexpectedly.

Settings - Data Usage - Tap CELLULAR at the top if its not already underlined, scroll to Google Play, Tap Google Play, then turn ON Restrict Background Cellular Data.
    If you have left auto update on, nothing will update until you are connected to WiFi -OR- you open the app. Once you have opened any app it is no longer background and will use cellular data.

This is not Available on Lollipop
    07-22-16 06:09 AM
    For what it's worth, whenever people come here with problems, one of the first questions asked by the 'experts' is - "Are your app(s) up to date?"
    Therefore I leave mine on auto update, my apps are always up to date, and I've not had a problem. Been on the Priv since last year, (release + one day).
    Pankaj Jaju likes this.
    07-22-16 06:20 AM