04-16-16 08:15 PM
64 123
tools
    Why my BlackBerry Priv is the best BlackBerry I ever had
    And why all my previous BlackBerry were the best too

It all started back in 2008. At that time, I was a student and like many others, I had a Motorola v3i. After getting my first job, I was able to afford a phone with a contract and bought a BlackBerry Bold 9000.

This was a revelation for me: where some of my friends were still texting me in SMS language on their old-fashioned Nokia, I was able to type emails, SMS, take pictures and share them in an instant. I still remember our typing competitions when they used to mock my “big phone” that looked like a remote control. Didn’t matter: the facts were talking for themselves: I was already the most productive guy among my friends when talking about “getting things done”.

This is around that time that iPhone was born and I couldn’t understand why some people thought this was a revolution. To me, the phone was a screen: designed to consume content with no concept of productivity. Does any of you remember the first iPhone? Seriously, the device didn’t have a copy-paste functionality and didn’t support MMS. Yes – Ask Google!

I was really happy with my bold and I believe I kept it at least 2 years, until I bought myself a BlackBerry Bold 9780. Smaller, faster and for the first time with a track pad, I was in love and convinced the device was better than its big brother.

I think I kept my Bold 9780 an additional two years (or maybe a bit less), until the Bold 9900 was release. At that time, and to me, this was the true revolution: the first BlackBerry ever made that combined the power of a physical keyboard and the magic of a touch screen. Best BlackBerry ever! Until I bought my next one, again, something around 2 years later.

When I first used my Q10, I had the feeling that BlackBerry had reinvented itself: no trackpad, no phone and BlackBerry physical button and a brand new OS. BB10.1 was born and I did believe, at that time, that this OS was simply the best OS ever seen on a mobile device. Of course, the device had all the usual stuff that made me love BlackBerry: physical keyboard, touch screen, USB connection and a good camera…

My Q10 was the best BlackBerry I ever had until I bought my beloved Classic: the trackpad and the usual BlackBerry buttons were back in the most productive OS in the world. Jackpot. Once again, I thought I finally had the ultimate device.

Until last week…

I bought the Priv without seeing or testing it before. Living in Australia, all I could do was reading reviews on Internet and trust what I read. I knew I took a risk. First Android device ever released by BlackBerry, I was afraid I could lose some of my favourite BlackBerry features.

I have been using the Priv for one week now and I do believe this is the best BlackBerry device I ever owned. It is actually the first time I have a large touch-screen phone and, believe me, it does makes a difference in terms of user experience: everything is bigger and I can finally see my pictures on a 16:9 screen. But this is not it, coming with a slider keyboard, this phone is definitely the perfect device for me: large touch screen, fantastic keyboard, Google Play store application catalogue, and all the nice to have BlackBerry power under the hood. I am definitely in love. Special mention to the ability to use multiple keyboard and different languages: there is no need to switch between two keyboards and the device automatically recognises the language I am using before correcting. The keyboard setup on my phone is “French/English (Australia)” and it really makes me feel like nothing has changed between my Classic and my Priv in terms of language: I can still type in both languages, very easily, without typing mistakes. The Hub is here, and I love it. The password picture is here, and I love it. The usual BlackBerry security when booting the OS is here and I love it. The automatic Googles updates are here and released on day 1 and I love it.

Long story short: if any BlackBerry user is considering buying a Priv, there is no doubt: this phone is a must have!
    Last edited by mathieualexandre; 04-08-16 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Typo
    04-07-16 06:08 PM
    Enjoy your Priv. Have had mine in Canada since it was launched. One of the best Blackberry phones and I too, still have my Classic.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-07-16 06:11 PM
    Great opinion. I'm really considering getting a priv

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 08:02 PM
    Why my BlackBerry Priv is the best BlackBerry I ever had
    And why all my previous BlackBerry were the best too

It all started back in 2008. At that time, I was a student and like many others, I had a Motorola v3i. After getting my first job, I was able to afford a phone with a contract and bought a BlackBerry Bold 9900.

This was a revelation for me: where some of my friends were still texting me in SMS language on their old-fashioned Nokia, I was able to type emails, SMS, take pictures and share them in an instant. I still remember our typing competitions when they used to mock my big phone that looked like a remote control. Didnt matter: the facts were talking for themselves: I was already the most productive guy among my friends when talking about getting things done.

This is around that time that iPhone was born and I couldnt understand why some people thought this was a revolution. To me, the phone was a screen: designed to consume content with no concept of productivity. Does any of you remember the first iPhone? Seriously, the device didnt have a copy-paste functionality and didnt support MMS. Yes Ask Google!

I was really happy with my bold and I believe I kept it at least 2 years, until I bought myself a BlackBerry Bold 9780. Smaller, faster and for the first time with a track pad, I was in love and convinced the device was better than its big brother.

I think I kept my Bold 9780 an additional two years (or maybe a bit less), until the Bold 9900 was release. At that time, and to me, this was the true revolution: the first BlackBerry ever made that combined the power of a physical keyboard and the magic of a touch screen. Best BlackBerry ever! Until I bought my next one, again, something around 2 years later.

When I first used my Q10, I had the feeling that BlackBerry had reinvented itself: no trackpad, no phone and BlackBerry physical button and a brand new OS. BB10.1 was born and I did believe, at that time, that this OS was simply the best OS ever seen on a mobile device. Of course, the device had all the usual stuff that made me love BlackBerry: physical keyboard, touch screen, USB connection and a good camera

My Q10 was the best BlackBerry I ever had until I bought my beloved Classic: the trackpad and the usual BlackBerry buttons were back in the most productive OS in the world. Jackpot. Once again, I thought I finally had the ultimate device.

Until last week

I bought the Priv without seeing or testing it before. Living in Australia, all I could do was reading reviews on Internet and trust what I read. I knew I took a risk. First Android device ever released by BlackBerry, I was afraid I could lose some of my favourite BlackBerry features.

I have been using the Priv for one week now and I do believe this is the best BlackBerry device I ever owned. It is actually the first time I have a large touch-screen phone and, believe me, it does makes a difference in terms of user experience: everything is bigger and I can finally see my pictures on a 16:9 screen. But this is not it, coming with a slider keyboard, this phone is definitely the perfect device for me: large touch screen, fantastic keyboard, Google Play store application catalogue, and all the nice to have BlackBerry power under the hood. I am definitely in love. Special mention to the ability to use multiple keyboard and different languages: there is no need to switch between two keyboards and the device automatically recognises the language I am using before correcting. The keyboard setup on my phone is French/English (Australia) and it really makes me feel like nothing has changed between my Classic and my Priv in terms of language: I can still type in both languages, very easily, without typing mistakes. The Hub is here, and I love it. The password picture is here, and I love it. The usual BlackBerry security when booting the OS is here and I love it. The automatic Googles updates are here and released on day 1 and I love it.

Long story short: if any BlackBerry user is considering buying a Priv, there is no doubt possible: this phone is a must have!
    Agree with you 1000% best BlackBerry I ever owned

Carjackd likes this.
    04-07-16 08:13 PM
    I have only ever owned BlackBerry phones but ya... best BlackBerry ever for sure. The speed, screen, HUB, keyboards and app selection absolutely rock.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    oakakaemmy likes this.
    04-07-16 08:33 PM
    I still think the 9900 is my fav blackberry of all time, because it has such a nice pkb...

Plazmic Flame likes this.
    04-07-16 09:59 PM
    Best BlackBerry here too. If the keyboard could a little less mushy, then all would be perfect.

04-07-16 10:53 PM
    My fav is still passport

Posted via the Innovative Blackberry PRIV - Powered by Android
    kthhrrsn and moody like this.
    04-08-16 12:52 AM
    I'm so loving the Priv.
    Carjackd likes this.
    04-08-16 01:10 AM
    Yes, I agree with you

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 01:11 AM
    Priv is dope!

BBM Channel: C0001F285
    Carjackd likes this.
    04-08-16 01:27 AM
    Best blackberry phone I have ever had

04-08-16 01:46 AM
    Once you manage to get along with Android and limit its chatiness, the Priv becomes an awesome device. I am using it as my daily driver in a business that forces me to do a lot of phone calls, emails and Slack correspondence per day. The Priv manage all this with excellence and without letting me down as far as performance and battery life is concerned.

NdBlu14, FF22 and underway99 like this.
    04-08-16 02:02 AM
    Thank you for the review. I hope I will have it soon as well. Good luck. I always loved Blackberry too! Always loyal
    04-08-16 04:54 AM
    But the heat issues and unpredictable battery life though....

04-08-16 05:41 AM
    I always figure my newest BlackBerry is the best ever too. Haha! I've loved them all! Started with a Pearl which was the first phone I had with a perfect media player with no glitches whatsoever. Then I went through a period of time before I got the Storm, a while after the horrible launch, so it was great for me! The Storm 2 was clearly supposed to be the Storm, but whatever, that thing was excellent! Had a couple Bold and a Tour. Then 9800 and 9810, PlayBook! Of course I was in line for the Z10 on launch day and have had every carrier available BlackBerry 10 device, an SE, but no Z3 though, wasn't available in my region. Now I have 2 Priv devices and each and every one has made "the best BlackBerry ever".

04-08-16 06:59 AM
    I too love my bb's, all of them. Aside from being a BlackBerry phone, software side, how does the priv compare to other androids. It's obvious that things are going to Android, as much as I want to be blind and just go with the priv I also want the best android experience

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 07:03 AM
    Using android on the priv is great the only problems I have are with the hub being slow but this could be fixed with a software update and it's great to have the keyboard on the phone I use my priv as my daily driver and still love the fact it's a blackberry only problem in the UK is that only carphone warehouse sell the phone

04-08-16 08:09 AM
    I too love my bb's, all of them. Aside from being a BlackBerry phone, software side, how does the priv compare to other androids. It's obvious that things are going to Android, as much as I want to be blind and just go with the priv I also want the best android experience

Posted via CB10
    To be very honest I find HUB searches, BBM and the BlackBerry keyboard all work better and faster on my Priv than they did on my Z30.

Priv gives you a pure Android experience with BlackBerry add ons IF you want them. They can all be turned off if you want but why would you? ;-)

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    04-08-16 08:10 AM

Posted via CB10
    There are a number of threads comparing it with other Androids including Samsung's new offerings as well as a more generic comparison thread. Some really like the physical keyboard. Others like that it canNOT be rooted. Some think it is overpriced and uses older components.
    04-08-16 08:32 AM
    Thanks for this, now theres no doubt in my mind I want the Priv to be my next phone.

Susan Scherer likes this.
    04-08-16 01:03 PM
    I really really want the Priv, I just can't imagine spending that much for a phone (899.00) and I refuse to upgrade to a monthly contract, which is over priced (in Canada) and more than I require in terms of data, in order to subsidize the phone.
    FabriciusFab likes this.
    04-08-16 01:26 PM
    Ditto. Enjoying my PRIV as well. The only thing I miss from BB10 is the hub integration. Other than that, Android does what BlackBerry 10 does if not more. The critiques of Android being "low end" etc on these forums are truly comical.
    Last edited by tufcustomer; 04-08-16 at 07:18 PM.
    04-08-16 01:32 PM
    Glad you're enjoying it OP. Thinking about getting one myself.
    04-08-16 02:16 PM
    Thanks for the fair report , enjoy the Priv , I have mine since December and I agree that it's a fantastic device . However using the Passport before I have to admit that in my opinion it was the best BlackBerry ever built !
    04-08-16 02:24 PM
64 123