When Verizon says that the Android v6.0 Marshmallow OS update is "coming soon", heaven knows how long that will be.

It's September, five months since Marshmallow has been released (April), and there is still no word on an official release date for the Verizon model of the BlackBerry PRIV. However, there's a thread that's been keeping track of the latest autoloaders available:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-priv-f440/blackberry-priv-autoloaders-1065667/

While there isn't a specific autoloader available for Verizon, would it be safe to use the latest autoloader listed under "REST OF THE PLANET"?

I've used autoloaders before back when I was using BlackBerry OS10 since Verizon is always last when to comes to releasing the latest OS version. It was usually based off of Rogers' release, a Canadian phone provider. Even though I was running an autoloader from a different carrier, I usually ran into no issues on my Verizon model.
    09-07-16 09:50 AM
    No, there's a Verizon one, scroll down more! AAF055 is the one you want!

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aders-1065667/
    I believe this is a security patch only. Marshmallow has not been released by Verizon yet and you cannot use an autoloader to install it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android

09-07-16 10:03 AM

I believe this is a security patch only. Marshmallow has not been released by Verizon yet and you cannot use an autoloader to install it.

09-07-16 10:44 AM
    AAF055 is listed under "LOLLIPOP", which is what I already have.

I'm referring to AAG277 (September 2016 update) which is listed under "MARSHMALLOW", since there is no link for Verizon under that update.
    09-07-16 10:45 AM
    No, there's a Verizon one, scroll down more! AAF055 is the one you want![/url]
    AAF055 is listed under "LOLLIPOP". I'm referring to AAG277 since that is listed under "MARSHMALLOW" since Verizon doesn't have any links listed underneath.
    09-07-16 10:48 AM

Ok, my bad. Keep pestering Verizon to get the update out!
    09-07-16 12:21 PM
    I called Verizon. They at first want to blame that BlackBerry has not released it to them. I called them on that. Unfortunately the customer service people know nothing about it. They have suggested that I call tech support. After my appointment today, I will do that.
    09-07-16 12:28 PM
    While there isn't a specific autoloader available for Verizon, would it be safe to use the latest autoloader listed under "REST OF THE PLANET"?
    Nobody has really played with cross-loading autoloaders onto different devices, the only example I've seen is loading an AT&T OS onto an AT&T Priv without AT&T bloatware. Lollipop to Marshmallow and non-Verizon onto Verizon, that'd be trial and error.
    09-07-16 01:15 PM
    There *are* people who have tried (by removing the checks from the batch file) and it resulted in a bricked device. Careful...
    09-07-16 01:27 PM
    I called Verizon. They at first want to blame that BlackBerry has not released it to them. I called them on that. Unfortunately the customer service people know nothing about it. They have suggested that I call tech support. After my appointment today, I will do that.
    Do let us know of the "Excuse of the Day" It will probably be LAME-a bean. Or perhaps TOMORROWato.

I called yesterday to ask if I was bound by any additional contract times since I paid off the Priv last month. Not sure if using the Loyalty Discount might have extended my contract. I figured I would ask and see if that nudged anything (although they might call my bluff!!!) But after 25 minutes on hold, I gave up. But I did not press the buttons for Tech support. Maybe they will be faster.
    09-07-16 02:28 PM
    When Verizon says that the Android v6.0 Marshmallow OS update is "coming soon", heaven knows how long that will be.

It's September, five months since Marshmallow has been released (April), and there is still no word on an official release date for the Verizon model of the BlackBerry PRIV. However, there's a thread that's been keeping track of the latest autoloaders available:

I've used autoloaders before back when I was using BlackBerry OS10 since Verizon is always last when to comes to releasing the latest OS version. It was usually based off of Rogers' release, a Canadian phone provider. Even though I was running an autoloader from a different carrier, I usually ran into no issues on my Verizon model.
    Nice thought but the Verizon model needs the CDMA radio components. I believe that MM has a different radio API than lollipop does so just pulling the radio component out will probably fail.
    09-07-16 02:51 PM
    Nice thought but the Verizon model needs the CDMA radio components. I believe that MM has a different radio API than lollipop does so just pulling the radio component out will probably fail.
    Is this a hard fact?
    09-07-16 03:04 PM
    Is this a hard fact?
    It's a fact that the radio API has changed, but I don't know whether that means that the existing driver would not be sufficient. However, thinking more about this, it may be what Verizon is stalling on. They don't want to put resources on a device with small sales. They'd rather put their limited resources on the big selling devices. I assume "limited" because it seems that Verizon is always late to the game with patches and updates.
    09-08-16 08:22 AM
    Looks like I am not the only Verizon PRIV owner yearning to get with the times and receive an update for Marshmallow:

Verizon Priv owners can file a complaint with the FCC about the delay in Security Updates
    rickkel and FF22 like this.
    09-12-16 12:56 PM
    Looks like I am not the only Verizon PRIV owner yearning to get with the times and receive an update for Marshmallow:

Verizon Priv owners can file a complaint with the FCC about the delay in Security Updates
    Nope. You are number 183 on the list.
    09-12-16 08:09 PM
    Oh good old days! Leaks!
    anon(5950958) likes this.
    09-12-16 08:47 PM
    5.1.1 here. Waiting on big red too

09-12-16 10:58 PM
    There *are* people who have tried (by removing the checks from the batch file) and it resulted in a bricked device. Careful...
    I was able to unbrick my priv, but I wouldn't push your luck trying to load the wrong autoloader. Just sit back and wait, now that the app updates have made their way to lollipop it's not so bad waiting.

misterabrasive likes this.
    09-12-16 11:20 PM
    I understand your frustration, but why in heavens name are you wasting your time asking customer support?

The only reason you should ever contact customer support are for administrative changes and replacing a broken device under warranty.

I can think of no worse way to shorten your life than calling customer support to complain about something they have absolutely no control over. Your complaint ends with them and it won't make Verizon move any faster.
    misterabrasive and pkcable like this.
    09-13-16 02:25 AM
    It was only the first of a few steps. Verizon makes it difficult to know who to contact about what issue. Web site isn't helpful in that regards. Plus I was just interested in what the agent would say. Besides, I am an AT&T customer, not Verizon. It is no skin off my nose. Just trying to help out the early discussion on this serious issue.
    00stryder and okyoureabeast like this.
    09-13-16 06:28 AM
    It was only the first of a few steps. Verizon makes it difficult to know who to contact about what issue. Web site isn't helpful in that regards. Plus I was just interested in what the agent would say. Besides, I am an AT&T customer, not Verizon. It is no skin off my nose. Just trying to help out the early discussion on this serious issue.
    AT&T is only SLIGHTLY better at getting out updates. They are both a total joke!
    09-13-16 03:35 PM
    Slightly better? You have to be joking! AT&T is a lot better. Verizon Priv has no, no Marshmallow nor security patches. That is zero, none, nada, zilch, a big fat goose egg!

AT&T has Marshmallow and is up to date on security patches.

So in this one case, AT&T is (as my granddaughter says) "way better" than big red.
    Vikas Gupta4 likes this.
    09-13-16 04:54 PM
    AT&T is only SLIGHTLY better at getting out updates. They are both a total joke!
    Historically yes - But with the Priv, AT&T has doing pretty well, so far. Only a week or so behind Tmo, (if even that), and TMo has been pretty good.
    I'm actually kinda impresed, so far.
    pkcable and newcollector like this.
    09-13-16 07:28 PM
    I wonder if there is any recourse that customers can do when phones can possibly be damaged due to them not releasing an update to an OS. i.e. security issues, over heating of phones etc. I hate that Verizon has always seemed to be this way but i feel it's because once they have you, they can care less about you or updates on the back end and they also make more when you have to buy a new phone. They sneak in contract changes when people that really have no idea are on the phone.
    09-28-16 12:51 PM
    I wonder if there is any recourse that customers can do when phones can possibly be damaged due to them not releasing an update to an OS. i.e. security issues, over heating of phones etc. I hate that Verizon has always seemed to be this way but i feel it's because once they have you, they can care less about you or updates on the back end and they also make more when you have to buy a new phone. They sneak in contract changes when people that really have no idea are on the phone.
    There isn't much you can do.
    * Put in a claim to the FCC. As I learned this route will get their attention but the FCC won't get involved unless it violates a regulation. The FCC does have an active investigation and they are collecting our complaints. We can only hope that this leads to a new regulation.
    * Put in a claim to the FTC. This will only work if you can prove they are playing unfair (anti-trust). They are partnering in the FCC investigation so if you can make a case (which I did) you can try this.
    * Put in a claim to the BBB. This will only show up with the gazillion other complaints against Verizon. Not very effective.
    * Put in a claim to your state's attorney general. Like the FTC complaint, you have to show unethical behavior. I didn't get very far with my complaint.
    * Sue them as an individual. You've already signed your rights away on this one. It would, at best, go to arbitration. I've gone though this process before (with a homeowner's warranty) and it is a very biased process.
    * Sue them as a group. You signed away your right for a class action suit as well. This is a dead-end unless Congress passes a new law that prevents circumventing illegal practices in the contract's fine-print.

The best recourse left is, if reasonable for your situation, complain by leaving Verizon for another carrier. I'm about to do that. I'm fortunate that I can enter a corporate contract that gives me a substantial discount with AT&T. I'll have recouped the cost of my Verizon Priv in 4 months.
    09-28-16 01:05 PM
28 12