I mean the same 2MP right from the Z10 launched 2 years ago?
    With BlackBerry 10 phones they said it's for professionals who wouldn't click selfies. Okay point taken. But with the Priv they were aiming for the consumers as well. They did a lot of things right with the hardware why not the front camera seeing that selfies are quite the rage these days and they were targeting a wider audience . Sometimes I don't understand BlackBerry *pensive*

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2639
    ahmedhanif911 and devin266 like this.
    11-18-15 08:20 AM
    me either.seems like such a small thing to do, right?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-18-15 08:24 AM
    Because it would have cost them another $3.80 per device..... What are you thinking?

Of course if you add the manufacture's markup, BlackBerry's markup, distributor markup and the retail seller's (amazon, carrier, shopBB) markup that would cost the end user another $30.

But basically I think it's a matter of the designers not being in touch with the market and how phones are used.
    11-18-15 08:31 AM
    It's a privacy and security issue. You don't want people to be able to capture and transmit images of their own face at too high a resolution because that's all someone needs to fool facial recognition security features. Highly insecure.

Just kidding. That's what some here are saying about fingerprint scanners - that you have your fingerprints all over your smartphone.
    Techno-guy, Mecca EL, TGR1 and 2 others like this.
    11-18-15 08:37 AM
    I totally get not having a fingerprint scanner. It would be too easy to unlock your phone when you are sleeping. Plus the iPhone 5S's scanner was hacked pretty soon after launch which also says that its a little difficult to secure the same. And BlackBerry doesn't play with security. But front camera. Don't know what were they thinking. I would really like to know the reason behind it.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2639
    11-18-15 08:50 AM
    Slider = front portion housing the screen not thick enough to accommodate a decent camera?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 08:57 AM
    Slider = front portion housing the screen not thick enough to accommodate a decent camera?

Posted via CB10
    Bingo!

Posted via CB10... Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2141
    11-18-15 09:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's a cop out. There are much thinner phones on the market that have larger lenses on the front and back than the Priv. That has already been debunked on here before.
    11-18-15 09:13 AM
    That's a cop out. There are much thinner phones on the market that have larger lenses on the front and back than the Priv. That has already been debunked on here before.
    Have you seen how thin the screen portion of the phone is?

I'm not being biased, I hated the fact that's it's a 2mpx but after messing with the phone last night, I totally get it.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-18-15 09:15 AM
    Have you seen how thin the screen portion of the phone is?

I'm not being biased, I hated the fact that's it's a 2mpx but after messing with the phone last night, I totally get it.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, I have had the Priv since the first day it came out. I agree the thinness may cause some issues, but if they wanted to fit a larger camera up front, they could have. All phones sacrafice something somewhere in order to lower costs, etc. This is probably the best thing they could have skimped on in my opinion.
    B_Rad BurnZ likes this.
    11-18-15 09:22 AM
    Because the front camera is a waste of time.

Posted via CB 10 on my Passport
    B_Rad BurnZ and Lefty724 like this.
    11-18-15 09:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Making excuses for BlackBerry??

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 09:25 AM
    Yep, I have had the Priv since the first day it came out. I agree the thinness may cause some issues, but if they wanted to fit a larger camera up front, they could have. All phones sacrafice something somewhere in order to lower costs, etc. This is probably the best thing they could have skimped on in my opinion.
    I'm sure if they really wanted to they could have placed a better camera but it would some to a physical space (which they don't have) and cost issue.

I would imagine the priv is already expensive to make. Especially that one of a kind lens and sensor combo at the rear, slider mechanism, curved 1440p screen and its relatively low initial production number.

I think it's fine.

What I really don't like is the damn mono speker. It could have been so much better much more easily.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 09:28 AM
    Blackberry smartphones are made for productivity and business minded people who value security. If you want games, toys and want to be able to take Snapchat selfies.... Get an Android.

..oh wait.
    Quorist likes this.
    11-18-15 09:29 AM
    It's a privacy and security issue. You don't want people to be able to capture and transmit images of their own face at too high a resolution because that's all someone needs to fool facial recognition security features. Highly insecure.

Just kidding. That's what some here are saying about fingerprint scanners - that you have your fingerprints all over your smartphone.
    Wow
    That actually sounded legit for a minute lol

Posted via CB10
    Quorist, TGR1 and aha like this.
    11-18-15 09:31 AM
    Blackberry smartphones are made for productivity and business minded people who value security. If you want games, toys and want to be able to take Snapchat selfies.... Get an Android.

..oh wait.
    And that rationale is exactly why Blackberry is broke. It crazy to suggest that you have to choose to have one or the other. The market has spoken on this and Blackberry didn't win the arguement.
    Mecca EL, ankitchahal and TGR1 like this.
    11-18-15 09:35 AM
    Making excuses for BlackBerry??

Posted via CB10
    I don't think so. They could have made the phone thicker then instead of complaints about the camera it would be too thick and heavy for people

But a better camera would have been nice.

Wonder what other pkb non slider will have.
    11-18-15 09:37 AM
    Mostly the reason is to reduce the cost: in both the cost of the camera and cost of a better design to go with it. Same with chip 808 vs 810 - instead of 810 and a better thermal design to combat the overheat, they opt for cheaper alternative.
    Another reason Priv is an overpriced device.
    11-18-15 09:42 AM
    Mostly the reason is to reduce the cost: in both the cost of the camera and cost of a better design to go with it. Same with chip 808 vs 810 - instead of 810 and a better thermal design to combat the overheat, they opt for cheaper alternative.
    Another reason Priv is an overpriced device.
    Unless you are one of those benchmarks type of people, it is most likely you wont notice the difference between the 808 and 810. My new LG V10 came with the 808 and it's a beast. The initial price of the priv is pretty high but there is no alternative Android slider.
    11-18-15 10:00 AM
    Of course the size would cause issues. There is your answer.

They could have fit a better camera up front, bringing with it, a higher total cost (and price) for the phone. There is no phone currently that is as thin as the screen portion of the Priv. Guess what happens to the price if you have to get a newer, smaller, better camera module?

People would be whining even more about the price of the phone.
    tanzarian likes this.
    11-18-15 10:19 AM
    I mean the same 2MP right from the Z10 launched 2 years ago?
    With BlackBerry 10 phones they said it's for professionals who wouldn't click selfies. Okay point taken. But with the Priv they were aiming for the consumers as well. They did a lot of things right with the hardware why not the front camera seeing that selfies are quite the rage these days and they were targeting a wider audience . Sometimes I don't understand BlackBerry *pensive*

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2639
    Because this assumes that the Priv is a consumer's handset. It is not. At best it's designed to be a mixed use device with the balance falling between enterprise, government, and consumer.

This also assumes that BlackBrrry's handsets are designed with average Joe consumers in mind. They are not. The OS may have changed but BlackBerry is still BlackBerry and their niche audience is still the same.

But hey, at least there is not a no-camera option.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 10:29 AM
    Because this assumes that the Priv is a consumer's handset. It is not. At best it's designed to be a mixed use device with the balance falling between enterprise, government, and consumer.

This also assumes that BlackBrrry's handsets are designed with average Joe consumers in mind. They are not. The OS may have changed but BlackBerry is still BlackBerry and their niche audience is still the same.

But hey, at least there is not a no-camera option.

Posted via CB10
    So how is selling to the same audience going to improve sales?
    11-18-15 10:31 AM
    Unless you are one of those benchmarks type of people, it is most likely you wont notice the difference between the 808 and 810. My new LG V10 came with the 808 and it's a beast. The initial price of the priv is pretty high but there is no alternative Android slider.
    I am not talking about the benchmark (look like you are the one who cares about it actually). Here is the list of some differences:
    810 vs 808
    + 4xA57+4xA53 vs 2xA57 + 4xA53 (probably the reason for less overheat in 808)
    + Adreno 430 vs Adreno 418 (big one: 192 ALUs vs 128 ALUs, and double the GFLOPS)
    + Better ram support (LPDDR4 vs 3, 64 bit vs 32 bit, etc...)
    + Better LTE (Cat 9 vs Cat 6/7)
    + Better camera support (55MP vs 21 MP. Lol I know. But still...)
    + 4K support

Yes. To your standard, 808 might be a beast, but you can't disagree that 810 is a "beast-er" beast. It is better in most aspects, even the heat.

BB is allowed to price high for sure as they are the only one having a flagship+phys keyboard.
    It is the SAME as Apple is allowed to price their iPhone high as they are the only one having devices with iOS.

In short, Priv is overpriced to most people with its hardware.
    11-18-15 10:49 AM
    Yeah, I'm a business user but I also have toddlers who like to take pictures of themselves. To say that it's just Instagram and Snapchat teens is a mistake.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-18-15 10:49 AM
    Maybe they have in mind that a better camera could be used as an ımprovement poınt on the Priv 2.

So just marketing tactıcs...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-18-15 11:02 AM
63 123