Can someone who uses Android regularly confirm this? Seems strange that you can't alter these settings.
    How odd.

I also came across this An easy way to remove oddball toggles from the Android 5.0 Quick Settings menu - CNET

Where it mentions the toggle icons disappear after 30 days of non-use. That would be tremendously annoying to have the hotspot thing disappear. I use it once every 6 or 8 weeks, but when I do want it, I want to access it easily.
    I laughed at the convenient workaround...just set your calendar back. I guess if you set it forward you can make stuff disappear as well

On topic, stock Android cannot alter these settings. 3rd party skins generally can.
    11-10-15 02:34 PM
    Yes of course. The point is and was that BlackBerry 10 is missing features. In fact it even lacks features that BBOS had. So there the same company can't even copy their own product.
    I can't speak for the touch BB10 devices but my Passport definitely has a speed dial feature... one way to set up new speed dial: press and hold a key that isn't already assigned a shortcut, get a message asking if you want to assign a shortcut, say yes and one of the options is "Speed Dial"...
    11-10-15 02:36 PM
    I stuck ES on my Z30 to try out. Performance of a virtualized app aside, I didn't like it. As is so common with Android applications, there's too much going on and too many features and buttons. Why does a file manger need an application manager?

The BlackBerry 10 file manager is a pretty darn good blend of functionality and ease of navigation. And it's a familiar interface regardless of where you are on the phone (email attachments, IM attachments, etc... all have the same file manager interface which speeds up operation).
    ES is super fast on my LG G2, which is an older Android phone. Smoking fast in fact. So blame the BlackBerry ART in that case.

I agree the BlackBerry 10 file manager is great. But on Android you obviously need Android apps.

As for why ES File Explorer has all those options I would guess it is because they have a free version and then paid features to unlock. I just ignore all that stuff just like when using Windows I ignore the fact that it supports 10,000 things I never seem to use.
    11-10-15 02:39 PM
    Swipe actions on iOS are comparable to BlackBerry 10. Is that what you wanted to know or did I misunderstand something?
    No. I'm just asking what time saving is there between a touch and a swipe. Seems to me a touch is faster. Touch/home page or whatever. Touch, swipe/ home page or whatever.
    11-10-15 02:40 PM
    I like BlackBerry 10's fluidity as well. Different argument altogether. If that mattered a lot Windows Phone would be wiping the floor with the competition.
    The two Windows Phones I've used have been slow and laggy. The browser crashed the first time I tried looking up movie times.
    11-10-15 02:40 PM
    I just ignore all that stuff just like when using Windows I ignore the fact that it supports 10,000 things I never seem to use.
    The big difference between a phone and Windows is that Windows generally runs on computers with 20"+ monitors, keyboards and mice. While often present on the screen, unused features seldom clutter the workspace. With a small device, I don't want clutter. I want an uncomplicated interface that prioritizes function over over-styling and features unrelated to the core function of the app.
    11-10-15 02:43 PM
    No. I'm just asking what time saving is there between a touch and a swipe. Seems to me a touch is faster. Touch/home page or whatever. Touch, swipe/ home page or whatever.
    Perhaps the one action might be faster with a home button, but then you have to consider the subsequent actions to get to where you want to be. Touch-Swipe gets me into my email faster than Touch(home button) find email app, touch...
    dejanh likes this.
    11-10-15 02:45 PM
    Depends on your workflow and multitasking needs really. For instance, I rarely need to just go back to the home screen, hence the one-click homescreen is pointless. I often need to switch between apps quickly, hence the 3D Touch + swipe works better. For general moving around the OS, swipe is more natural because you don't need to change where your finger rests, you are always in the context of your application.
    11-10-15 02:53 PM
    The big difference between a phone and Windows is that Windows generally runs on computers with 20"+ monitors, keyboards and mice. While often present on the screen, unused features seldom clutter the workspace. With a small device, I don't want clutter. I want an uncomplicated interface that prioritizes function over over-styling and features unrelated to the core function of the app.
    There are lots of other choices other than ES File Explorer. My G2 came with one that is not as snappy but works fine. BlackBerry should build one into the Priv. That's their job.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-10-15 03:04 PM
    Is there a way to change the font on the Priv? I'm new to android and all I've found is either change the launcher (and I think that the hub, etc is part of BlackBerry launcher that I don't want to lose? Or is that incorrect?) or root the phone. I'm still searching but if someone knows how to do it quickly and easily, or can point me in the right direction, I'm interested!
    Because android defers in many ways, across devices, you might not have the baked in features my device has. Go to Settings > Display & Lights and scroll down.
    Attached Thumbnails Why I hate the Priv-1447189564566.jpg  
    gritsinct likes this.
    11-10-15 03:06 PM
    Depends on your workflow and multitasking needs really. For instance, I rarely need to just go back to the home screen, hence the one-click homescreen is pointless. I often need to switch between apps quickly, hence the 3D Touch + swipe works better. For general moving around the OS, swipe is more natural because you don't need to change where your finger rests, you are always in the context of your application.
    Perhaps the one action might be faster with a home button, but then you have to consider the subsequent actions to get to where you want to be. Touch-Swipe gets me into my email faster than Touch(home button) find email app, touch...
    Ah. I didn't realize the swipe takes you right where you want to be. If programmed to your need?
    11-10-15 03:12 PM
    His experience with Android is a tablet....enough said.

But yeah agree about the Z10. Worst battery i've ever come across. The Priv should (and by every other account does) outperform the Z10 battery with ease
    Maybe some of you have had bad experiences with the z10 battery, but right now my priv isn't outperforming wit ease. It's on par. Right now with almost no heavy work load my priv is at 48%. On average with heavy workload my z10 would be at about 30 right now. How is a battery that's triple the size out performing my z10?

And to the guy you responded too, believe what you want I don't care.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-10-15 03:13 PM
    Ah. I didn't realize the swipe takes you right where you want to be. If programmed to your need?
    It kind of works like swipe-tap. The core apps for instance that I use on my iPhone (Email, Messenger, Safari, Calendar, BBM) I never close. This means that I just have to hard-swipe and tap to get to where I want to be, as opposed to press, swipe, press, wait. Hope this makes sense. If I am switching between two apps, then I can just do hard-swipe to switch to another app, then hard-swipe again to switch back. At the start the whole 3D Touch implementation was a bit clunky, but the improvements that they are making for 9.2 are substantial in this regard.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-10-15 03:17 PM
    It kind of works like swipe-tap. The core apps for instance that I use on my iPhone (Email, Messenger, Safari, Calendar, BBM) I never close. This means that I just have to hard-swipe and tap to get to where I want to be, as opposed to press, swipe, press, wait. Hope this makes sense. If I am switching between two apps, then I can just do hard-swipe to switch to another app, then hard-swipe again to switch back. At the start the whole 3D Touch implementation was a bit clunky, but the improvements that they are making for 9.2 are substantial in this regard.
    Just call it WebOS. Add a pkb and I'd bite.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-10-15 03:19 PM
    Just call it WebOS. Add a pkb and I'd bite.
    Hahaha, wouldn't that be something!
    11-10-15 03:20 PM
    Maybe some of you have had bad experiences with the z10 battery, but right now my priv isn't outperforming wit ease. It's on par. Right now with almost no heavy work load my priv is at 48%. On average with heavy workload my z10 would be at about 30 right now. How is a battery that's triple the size out performing my z10?

And to the guy you responded too, believe what you want I don't care.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that the battery is performing so badly.
    Have you looked at the battery usage?

Also never forget the golden rule of Crackberry, Not every device comes off of the production line flawless. you may have a dud device.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-10-15 03:22 PM
    Just read a review on a pro Android site that complained of the clunkiness too, but they say it works itself out after a few days or so, it needs to settle, apparently.
    I don't think you know what that word means. Clunkiness doesn't mean lag. It's how the OS operates. The key thing with BB10 was it's FLOW.

It was fluent, every swipe you did was like stroking a paint brush on a canvas.

Notice how I said was because I'm sure BB10 will be another one of those "ooh remember that OS like meego or webOS. It was great wasn't it?"

How come anything that's great just dies? It's f**k**g here so let's support it!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 03:26 PM
    I find it incredibly difficult to believe that the battery is performing so badly.
    Have you looked at the battery usage?

Also never forget the golden rule of Crackberry, Not every device comes off of the production line flawless. you may have a dud device.
    It says the screen is eating it up. I know what else isn't helping. The timeout function seems to only work when it wants too. I'll lock my device and come back ten minutes later to see it on and no new messages or notifications. You're right maybe it is flawed. But too me having used a Droid tablet a Droid phone, and my wife's two Droid phones this is kind of indicative of all androids.

11-10-15 03:31 PM
    People have to understand that EVERY phone and newly released software has bugs at the initial release..

My Z10 is better than yours!
    Okay I understand it's a new phone. But let's be honest here, Android is NOT a new OS. It seems like Android has been stuck in beta mode for 5 years now.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 03:37 PM
    Okay I understand it's a new phone. But let's be honest here, Android is NOT a new OS. It seems like Android has been stuck in beta mode for 5 years now.

Posted via CB10
    A lot of the bugs Priv owners are seeing are specific to the device. BlackBerry's additions to the OS (apps, drivers, the hardened kernel) make a difference.
    11-10-15 03:40 PM
    Referring to what OP said on apps for this, apps for that to fix this and that.

Someone else mentioned here how Android is like Lego. You buy your phone and you build it.

It's like me buying a car, but I have to put it together. I want a company that puts time and effort to find a standard that would appeal the mass and build a car. I'm not here to build a car, I'm here to drive it. I've got places to be.

That's what BlackBerry is. I always thought it was a lame slogan but BlackBerry is just a productivity tool.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 03:45 PM
    Job? Did you mean joke? And I got the joke....he's the guy who says he hates everything about BlackBerry in true satire? Right? So I was saying he'd 'love' everything but in his own form of satire....

Relax Bro, I was talking about how others didn't understand your joke, obviously not you.
    11-10-15 04:03 PM
    So you're picking out that one feature that the largest mobile OS in the world in terms of app support (iOS) does not even have built in. So that means it is really really important to you. Much like a left handed person would lament that BlackBerry 10, unlike Android, has no ability to swap around the screen layouts to suit a left handed person. That would be very important to them.

I am sure BlackBerry will add a file manager some day after everyone that has a Priv does not care because they've already installed one and gotten back to business.
    Well, primarily I'm saying that I think you made a false argument. However, the substance behind that is that I think that third party apps are a crutch for inferior OS. Clearly, you and many others are happy with this arrangement.

If you think that NOT providing basic functionality is a strength, then by all means make that argument, but in my opinion, that's a poor argument. I think you're trying to hide lack of functionality behind a shield of something you can "customize."

You see third party apps as a strength apparently, whereas I see the NEED for them as a weakness. This relates back to my questioning of the conventional wisdom that rules the day--that being APPS, APPS, APPS!

I'd rather buy a product that does what I want it to do in terms of basic functions, without expecting me to dig through a sea of third party apps, relying on other people's recommendations or trial and error. I don't wish to spend my time doing that for BASIC functions. Specific narrow things--sure.

KAM
    11-10-15 04:05 PM
    Much like a left handed person would lament that BlackBerry 10, unlike Android, has no ability to swap around the screen layouts to suit a left handed person. That would be very important to them.
    I'm a lefty and I use my phone exclusively with my right hand when using it one-handed. Why? Because It'll be my left hand I'll be eating or drinking a coffee with, or writing something down with. Most lefties I know will also use a computer mouse with their right hand.

So I think the number of left-handers who want the phone to flip is really, really small. Hell, look at the number of righties who don't even care for BB10's right-handed ease of use
    11-10-15 04:13 PM
    You just posted a long rant about why you hate Android, not the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    what does this statement even mean? It's an Android phone.
    11-10-15 04:14 PM
246 ... 45678 ...