Yes BlackBerry includes a file manager. You can bet that plenty of BB10 users don't even touch the file manager. It's something BlackBerry did VERY well in my opinion as a first party app -- .

Thank you. That's all where I was getting at.

Now why Android and iOS being dominant is subjective.

Android and iOS is dominant because it was far superior than BBOS. BB10 came too late, but it is the better OS in terms of the core system.

Every thread is going in circles here.

We all acknowledge that Android works. But it's not as good than BB10 at the core. Android has the ecosystem but lacks at the core (it was great at one point and would probably be the best if BB10 didn't exist).

BB10 is great at the core, but does not have the ecosystem. If one of these company can fix it's shortcomings, than that's where I'm going to. Otherwise I'm willing to sacrifice the ecosystem for a better core experience.

I don't do snapchat, fb, instagram or whatever.

I can bank with confidence, browse CB10, reddit, watch youtube, play music through youtube with multiple tabs and run it in the background, can shop online, watch the weather, read the news.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 06:32 PM
    I can only speak about what happens on my OnePlus One, running Cyanogenmod. If I hit a download link in the browser (Firefox, in my case), it asks me whether I want to use it or ES downloader (built into the ES File Manager) to do it, just this once or always.

Is that what you mean?
    You just mentioned another point.

You know in windows how you can right click on a file and there's always that option that says "open with". This is what BlackBerry has. Option is ALWAYS there when you long press.

If I press j"ust this once", okay fine. But if I press "always", then I realize, eh I don't want it always, I want it to open it a different way, I would have to "reset".

With BlackBerry I can just long press and select open with.

Like I said. Android works. We get you, but we are merely trying to say BB10 is a better OS. I'm writing way too much.

If I had to sum it up, I love BB10 because it seems very similar to a PC. In fact, I think BlackBerry was seeing if they could go that route. I remember them having a video of the Z10 connected to a monitor via hdmi cable with mouse and keyboard. I thought to myself... "Damm, all they need is microsoft office and I've got a laptop in my pocket".

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 06:40 PM

Now why Android and iOS being dominant is subjective.

Android and iOS is dominant because it was far superior than BBOS. BB10 came too late, but it is the better OS in terms of the core system.

Every thread is going in circles here.

We all acknowledge that Android works. But it's not as good than BB10 at the core. Android has the ecosystem but lacks at the core (it was great at one point and would probably be the best if BB10 didn't exist).

BB10 is great at the core, but does not have the ecosystem. If one of these company can fix it's shortcomings, than that's where I'm going to. Otherwise I'm willing to sacrifice the ecosystem for a better core experience.

I don't do snapchat, fb, instagram or whatever.

I can bank with confidence, browse CB10, reddit, watch youtube, play music through youtube with multiple tabs and run it in the background, can shop online, watch the weather, read the news.

Posted via CB10
    I forgot about running programs in the background....this just made me sadder :-(

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-10-15 06:55 PM
    I forgot about running programs in the background....this just made me sadder :-(

Sadly BB10 won't get the apps. So yes there is a better core OS in BlackBerry but reality is. Google Play Services on a daily basis was making it more difficult for BB10

posted from my Priv!
    11-10-15 07:00 PM
    Ok. I have nothing against BlackBerry 10. I have a Passport. There are some better things about it in my opinion. But I wouldn't let something like the file manager keep me from enjoying using Android.

11-10-15 08:06 PM
    If I had to sum it up, I love BB10 because it seems very similar to a PC.
    To me Android's handling of registered file type handlers is more like a PC. On a PC you choose "Open With > Choose Default Program" and you can (optionally) check "Do this from now on..." to make it the default registered file handler application. Android essentially is the same way. It gives you a list of all the registered capable apps for opening the file and then allows you to select each time, or choose to set a default.
    11-10-15 08:39 PM
    To me Android's handling of registered file type handlers is more like a PC. On a PC you choose "Open With > Choose Default Program" and you can (optionally) check "Do this from now on..." to make it the default registered file handler application. Android essentially is the same way. It gives you a list of all the registered capable apps for opening the file and then allows you to select each time, or choose to set a default.
    Yes I understand that Android does that. So does BB10, what I'm trying to explain is that the option is ALWAYS there when you long press.

You can set the default program too on BB10, but even if you do and long press on that item, you still see the option "Open in" in any case you wish to choose to open it in something else.

Just like in the PC. If you make a word document to open in msoffice, you can still right click the file and it gives you the option "open with".

Like an HTML file. It opens the broswer by default. But that one time, you can right click and have it open in a notepad so you can edit the codes.

On android, you have to go into the settings and reset it.

Android will work when BB10 is gone. I have one. But I use my BB10 because it's quicker.

Anyway man, have a good night. This place kinda went crazy and I hope to not offend anyone. At some points in our lives we can become d**ks beyond our control.

Let's keep a level head and everyone has preference.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 09:00 PM
    You bought an Android phone, what did you expect..
    All new phones have bugs in the beginning, give them time to solve the issues.

Ooow and by the way the Passport that everyone loves.. its soo ugly !!!
    11-11-15 01:35 AM
    You bought an Android phone, what did you expect..
    All new phones have bugs in the beginning, give them time to solve the issues.

Ooow and by the way the Passport that everyone loves.. its soo ugly !!!
    I agree with you on the first part. Yes he bought Android and as expected with most first of a kind attempts are bound to have a few quirks here and there which may be sorted out with time.
    But I disagree with you on the Passport, it's a fantastic device. At the end of the day it comes down to preference. And to each his own.
    11-11-15 05:19 AM
    android need 4 or 5 day to get better battery life

so you should know that
    11-11-15 05:23 AM
    android need 4 or 5 day to get better battery life

so you should know that
    I'm on day six. It's the same. Well not really. I've turned everything way down to conserve battery life. And it performs just the same realistically as it did the first day I got it.

11-11-15 06:44 AM
    watch youtube, play music through youtube with multiple tabs and run it in the background, can shop online, watch the weather, read the news.

Posted via CB10
    The only reason you could do this on BB10 is because you BB10 doesn't have a native YouTube app. BB10 used a web shortcut which allows YouTube to play when the site is minimized. All of the other platforms can do this same thing if using the web shortcut. Google blocks this when using the app and just made it available last month through Youtube Red. So you can have it if you want to use the app and pay for YouTube Red or you can use the web shortcut (Like BB10 does) if that is important to you.
    pantlesspenguin and Avenzuno like this.
    11-11-15 06:53 AM
    The only reason you could do this on BB10 is because you BB10 doesn't have a native YouTube app. BB10 used a web shortcut which allows YouTube to play when the site is minimized. All of the other platforms can do this same thing if using the web shortcut. Google blocks this when using the app and just made it available last month through Youtube Red. So you can have it if you want to use the app and pay for YouTube Red or you can use the web shortcut (Like BB10 does) if that is important to you.
    You could do this with any app? Fast tube for example would play in the background while I used any other app.

11-11-15 07:00 AM
    You could do this with any app? Fast tube for example would play in the background while I used any other app.

Depends if the app will allow it. I never used fast tube on BB10 as I found the web shortcut to be fine. But for example on iOS an app like Tubex or ProTube allows the video to keep playing in the background while going in to any other app. Or using the Web Shortcut like whats being used in BB10 will allow the video to keep playing in the background on iOS and Android.

People always think that BB10 was doing some type of magical multi-tasking by playing YouTube in the background. As I said above the only reason that was happening is because BB10 didn't have a native YouTube app, but a lot of people thought the web shortcut was a native app. Google blocks it in the native app but has opened up recently with YouTube Red. So if you want that feature through the native app and ad free you have to pay for it.
    pantlesspenguin and Avenzuno like this.
    11-11-15 07:09 AM
    On Android, you can listen to a podcast, or listen to music, or listen to an audiobook, while you do something else. What you can't do is listen to YouTube while you do something else, unless you pay for YouTube Red. The reason has nothing to do with Android's multitasking capability; it's because Google doesn't want you to use YouTube that way (without paying).
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-11-15 07:13 AM
    On Android, you can listen to a podcast, or listen to music, or listen to an audiobook, while you do something else. What you can't do is listen to YouTube while you do something else, unless you pay for YouTube Red. The reason has nothing to do with Android's multitasking capability; it's because Google doesn't want you to use YouTube that way (without paying).
    Again, this is the same with BB10. if BB10 had a native YouTube app it would be the same deal. Other YouTube apps can do this, just not the official one without YouTube Red.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-11-15 07:15 AM
    I might have to eat my words. But as far as I know, you can't do this same type of multi tasking within the chrome browser. You tube or any other media player. When you switch to another tab or open another app it stops playing. But you Can do this on the bb10

vgorous likes this.
    11-11-15 07:25 AM
    The BB folks hate it. The Droid folks like it. It will have some success then. . BB aint out to please the BB folks. They want new users. Droid users! .
    11-11-15 07:31 AM
    Wow, you guys are so negative, it is amazing that Blackberry ever manages to sell a phone! Do you want the company to survive or go the way of Palm, and the dinosaur? Port Android to a Classic with the internals of the HTC A9, and you would sell more phones! I'd buy two. Chen said that if this phone does not sell, then BB will become a software only company, do you want that? Or are you guys the type that would burn down your own house, while standing in it just for the "purity" of the BB10 platform? If BB fails, do you think that there will be anything in the future? Especially no BB11.
    11-11-15 07:46 AM
    Would you make the same argument for your phone function or the hub?
    I'm not sure what the "argument" is, but I'll take a stab at it. I don't think the absence of a file manager, either baked into the OS or simply bundled with the OS, makes Android "undeveloped and inferior" (your words). My reason is: Not everyone needs or wants a file manager, and those who do can get very good ones, free or paid, in Play.

But what about anybody who downloads anything? How can they find it without a file manager? Android does have a limited baked-in file manager called "Downloads" that simply keeps track of your downloads, so you can find them and share them. For many people, that's all the file manager they'll ever need.

Now, would I make the same argument for the phone feature? No. These are, after all, mobile phones. A phone that doesn't work as a phone right out of the box ... really would be "undeveloped", to put it mildly.

Look, I get that you want a file manager to be there from the get-go. I like a good file manager too. But I do think you're hyperventilating on this a bit. File managers are available; it's just not a real problem. There are a lot of things one might say about Android, but "undeveloped" is really a stretch. Android is highly developed, in an extremely modular way: the Lego model that someone mentioned. It's not to everyone's liking, but that's how it's designed to work. Basic Android does the basics; after that you snap on the functionalities you want, and leave off the ones you don't want.

Over the years, one of the most frequently heard criticisms of Android wasn't about Android per se, it was about the OEM versions being "overdeveloped", i.e., loaded with extra, and often redundant, software that a lot of people didn't want but couldn't remove.

What's "basic" functionality and what's not? As I said, there's no non-arbitrary way to draw that line, beyond the bare minima, such as a phone working as a phone. I'd argue that basic functions for a "smartphone" in the present day also include PIM capabilities, email, browser, and the ability to run apps. I mentioned the ability to block calls; southlander mentioned silencing dial pad tones. Some people consider these things, missing on BB10, to be "basic" phone functionality.

My line isn't arbitrary for what I do. You have your own line for you.
    Your use of the qualifying phrases "for what I do" and "for you" is precisely what makes these lines arbitrary when making allegedly general, objective claims about Android or BB10. Android isn't undeveloped; it just isn't developed in exactly the way you prefer. As a matter of objective fact, Android is a highly developed, mature, extremely sophisticated operating system. It has come a long way. BB10 went from undeveloped to developed in just a few short years.

At the end of the day, there's not much to be said between "there's an app for that" and "you shouldn't need an app for that" as long as whatever "that" is can be done at all.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-11-15 07:57 AM
    I might have to eat my words. But as far as I know, you can't do this same type of multi tasking within the chrome browser.
    I don't know. I don't use Chrome. I just tried playing a YouTube video in Firefox and then switching to another app. No problem; it keeps playing. Then I tried opening another tab in Firefox. Still no problem; the video keeps playing.

Lesson learned: Don't use Chrome.
    11-11-15 08:03 AM
    You know in windows how you can right click on a file and there's always that option that says "open with". This is what BlackBerry has. Option is ALWAYS there when you long press.

If I press j"ust this once", okay fine. But if I press "always", then I realize, eh I don't want it always, I want it to open it a different way, I would have to "reset".
    Look for a "share" option. That's your "open with".
    11-11-15 08:15 AM
    I'm not sure what the "argument" is.
    The argument you made in regards to File managers (being built into the OS). This is a phone AND a mobile computer. If you're making the argument that a mobile computer having a File Manager ISN'T a basic function, then good luck with that. I think that is a ridiculous claim.

Further, there is nothing arbitrary about whether a product has or doesn't have a feature. That is an objective difference.
    The fact that YOU are happy with a third party app that performs Function X, Y, or Z doesn't alter the FACT of whether or not a product includes those functions. THAT is an arbitrary choice--whether you or I LIKE that fact or don't.
    The fact remains regardless of our opinion of it.

As I pointed out to someone else (Southlander) there is an inherently different mindset. Most of you have all bought into the "There's an app for that mindset" Great, I'm happy for you--you're on the popular side of things...or you're the victim of someone's marketing scheme (you can decide which).

I do NOT subscribe to that way of thinking. I want a product that does certain things in a well-integrated way instead of patching together a bunch of questionable third party apps--MANY of which are trash, fail to function well, have security issues, etc, etc. I don't have the interest in that sort of trial and error for basic functions (and yes File Management is basic).

BlackBerry's half-baked attempt to follow the "There's an app for that" mindset led to them falling on their face, and eventually totally surrendering to that mindset--giving us the PRIV.

Android and iOS are app switchers with limited interface functionality that I (my opinion) want and work well with. WebOS and BB10 are both far superior in that arena--WebOS doing that in 2009. This App Fever has helped sink BOTH of these superior operating systems.

I do think that you bring up a fair point. That is the effective difference between "there's an app for that" and "You don't need a (third party) app for that." --My reiteration. I think something integrated that works well is better--apparently you're rather shop around with third party apps.

Whatever--enjoy your Android phones, I'll be forced to join you sooner or later.

KAM
    Avenzuno and ssbtech like this.
    11-11-15 08:40 AM
    In a heartbeat. There are dialers for Android though you can't replace the telephony app itself.
    In fact on here lots of folks complain that you can't silence the dial pad in BlackBerry 10 like you can on Android. There's an app that needs a third party tweak right away.

Plenty of people hate the hub on BlackBerry 10. BlackBerry wisely allows you to turn it off on Android.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    The question Ubizmo presented was about it being "Baked in" If you can't delete Android's base Dialer (Telephony), then you are not meeting that condition. Being able to download another isn't the question.

If people hate the Hub, then BB10 isn't the product for them, because it is very central to what it is about. Disabling it on Android...so...people want to (or feel forced to) turn off the one part of the "BlackBerry Experience" the PRIV has? Bravo BlackBerry. Great Product there.

I'd argue that the sound something makes is NOT core functionality at all, although I would see why someone might prioritize that.

KAM
    11-11-15 08:53 AM
    I have a hand tremor that makes it horrible to write on a touch screen...this is one of the main reasons I love the keyboard on my passport...as soon as I tried the keyboard on the priv I knew I wasn't going to buy it..that thing is so cramped I wouldn't be able to tyrpe on it even if I tried...if I update my passport its to get a silver edition because the priv is just not it
    11-11-15 09:00 AM
246 ... 678910