I have Priv for over a year now and i was thinking about switching to KeyOne or Dtek60 but i think i will just hold on a little bit longer to my Priv. The thing is that Priv has everything I need.

KeyOne is perfect for messaging and better for taking photos buy priv is much better all around phone. Dtek60 is onlyfaster but it does not have physical keyboard i like a lot.

Priv is just perfect for me. I take photos with CameraMX app which lets you roll back photos like on Z10 and pick the best one. I got myself VR headset and to my surprised Priv is perfect for it with its high resolution screen. I disabled animations in developer mode and the phone is just flying for me now. It does not feel like year old processor. Priv speaker is just awesome. Priv physical keyboard is good enough for me.

So i really have no good reason to switch. I just wish Blackberry introduced another slider !
    07-29-17 08:15 AM
    Agree with another Slider and also a Passport android. If they are not updating the Dtek 60 and 50 and even Priv I would wait a little longer if you are happy with Priv. And with the Keyone I like it but some stuff it can't do what the PRIV does which I don't want to give up so I will wait a bit longer too.
    Oh it's all about choices right? That the PRIV gives you.
    mimmesmo likes this.
    07-29-17 02:55 PM
    The Priv is a nice device. I finally had a chance to touch the Keyone in a Sprint store. it looks nice and the keyboard feels a tad better than Priv keyboard to me. But...it is not $549.usd better. I like the Priv 3 swipe gestures that is missing on K1. Also, I wish it had more ram since it is released two years after the Priv.

K1 kills it in battery life but my Priv has never left me stranded during the day. I have Dtek 60 also...no need to update and get K1.

I am waiting to see what slab device will be release q4
    Last edited by Bay 13; 07-29-17 at 03:37 PM.
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    07-29-17 03:11 PM
    I love my Priv so much I just can't see a reason to upgrade. for what I use this phone for, I can't find anything to complain about. Blackberry will have to release something pretty cool to make me change my mind
    07-30-17 05:24 AM
    As much as I like the Priv and have supported BlackBerry for quite some time by purchasing their handsets, my next phone will not be a BlackBerry branded smartphone. I will however be buying the Hub+ Suite and associated apps and launcher and using it on my next phone.
    07-30-17 09:59 AM
    As much as I like the Priv and have supported BlackBerry for quite some time by purchasing their handsets, my next phone will not be a BlackBerry branded smartphone. I will however be buying the Hub+ Suite and associated apps and launcher and using it on my next phone.
    May I ask why you will not buy a Blackberry branded phone anymore?
    07-30-17 05:34 PM
    yup, I am also quite satisfied with the priv so far.

it is one of the fewer phones on the market that can be used naked without having it dropped often. Thank God it does not have the glass finish popular on the modern phones.

The design is still gorgeous with the curved display and the BlackBerry logo on the top of the screen.

it is still the only BlackBerry phone to date that has a usable vkb and a pkb. I use both keyboards regularly; and I am not going to settle for just one keyboard with the keyone or the dtek phones.
    Bay 13 and Nathan Conley like this.
    07-30-17 06:56 PM
    May I ask why you will not buy a Blackberry branded phone anymore?
    Sure... because they're not continuing to support their phones by offering the next version of the operating system. They're basically forcing users to get their next phone if they want to experience the latest version of the OS. Priv is a perfect example of this...and the DTEK models for that matter. No mention if they will get Nougat...but...you can get the KEYone if you want to check out Nougat. The internals on the Priv and DTEK60 could handle it. So, if I buy a high-end LG or Samsung and buy/subscribe to the BlackBerry software...I can have both.

I think this is where BlackBerry wants to go in any case. They're ditching hardware and going software.

So...BlackBerry will still get my money, but through software subscription.
    07-30-17 10:52 PM
    Sure... because they're not continuing to support their phones by offering the next version of the operating system. They're basically forcing users to get their next phone if they want to experience the latest version of the OS. Priv is a perfect example of this...and the DTEK models for that matter. No mention if they will get Nougat...but...you can get the KEYone if you want to check out Nougat. The internals on the Priv and DTEK60 could handle it. So, if I buy a high-end LG or Samsung and buy/subscribe to the BlackBerry software...I can have both.
    You realize the flaw in your logic? BB was responsible for the PRIV and DTEK. BBMo for the KEYone. Since BBMo is a brand new company that is just licensing the name, they have nothing to do with your complaint. The company that sold PRIV and DTEK which is BB, left the hardware business. This is the company that, if you feel entitled, is responsible for any software OS updates. If you are going to boycott any company and withhold future purchases, this is the company that you should direct your strategy. If you're serious about your convictions, why are you going to buy or subscribe to BB software from BB? They probably get the most profit from the subscriptions.
    07-30-17 11:02 PM
    You realize the flaw in your logic? BB was responsible for the PRIV and DTEK. BBMo for the KEYone. Since BBMo is a brand new company that is just licensing the name, they have nothing to do with your complaint. The company that sold PRIV and DTEK which is BB, left the hardware business. This is the company that, if you feel entitled, is responsible for any software OS updates. If you are going to boycott any company and withhold future purchases, this is the company that you should direct your strategy. If you're serious about your convictions, why are you going to buy or subscribe to BB software from BB? They probably get the most profit from the subscriptions.
    You're reading into something that isn't there. Who said I was boycotting BlackBerry? I like BlackBerry. But I think the best way to support them at this point and still get the best experience on a handset is to buy the hardware from another company and subscribe to the BlackBerry software. I'm not boycotting BlackBerry at all. As I said...in the end, they will continue to get my dollars.
    07-30-17 11:25 PM
    Phones like the OnePlus 5 have very smooth versions of the OS and with plenty of ram, and other high end specs, makes it a device good for many years to com.

If all else fails and the company does not provide the software upgrade, you can always root it. A dev friend of mine has a OnePlus One and it is easily handling Nougat. He will load O when it is available.
    07-31-17 06:11 AM
    We now think we know BlackBerry's track record (PRIV & DTEKs)..... What is TCL track record for software updates? How's the Nougat update for the Idol 4 series coming along - or most any year old Alcatel device?

Only time (success) will tell us what kind of company BBM will be.... I expect the OP will buy another BlackBerry IF BBM proves to be better than the parts (BlackBerry and TCL) that created it.
    07-31-17 08:49 AM

I think this is where BlackBerry wants to go in any case. They're ditching hardware and going software.

I think this has to do with security as blackberry needs to do additional steps to secure new os.
    07-31-17 09:01 AM

I understand your logic...lets see how BlackBerry Mobile will do with OS updates.
    07-31-17 09:03 AM
    You're reading into something that isn't there. Who said I was boycotting BlackBerry? I like BlackBerry. But I think the best way to support them at this point and still get the best experience on a handset is to buy the hardware from another company and subscribe to the BlackBerry software. I'm not boycotting BlackBerry at all. As I said...in the end, they will continue to get my dollars.
    i guess if you did not need keyboard than there are other choices out there but i think dtek60 is very well priced for what it offers. also lot of these companies with cheaper phones like Acer put so much bloatware on their devices. it is just discussing. on the other hand phones like Samsung are so expensive. $1100CAN for a phone is a lot. That is why i like Blackberry. simple os, good phones, good prices and top security plus blackberry phones can withstand some serious abuse (most of them).
    07-31-17 09:04 AM
    i guess if you did not need keyboard than there are other choices out there but i think dtek60 is very well priced for what it offers. also lot of these companies with cheaper phones like Acer put so much bloatware on their devices. it is just discussing. on the other hand phones like Samsung are so expensive. $1100CAN for a phone is a lot. That is why i like Blackberry. simple os, good phones, good prices and top security plus blackberry phones can withstand some serious abuse (most of them).
    Remains to be seen if they will give the DTEK60 Nougat. Looks like a great phone. Certainly...the specs on it are more than sufficient to do whatever you need to do. But if it's relegated to Marshmallow, why would I want to lock myself in like that? I could go buy the latest Galaxy or LG and be confident that it will get two or three iterations of Android before it gets left behind. This is what I'm saying. I love BlackBerry and I will get their launcher and icons and Hub+ suite and subscribe to get those things, but I'll run it on a phone that I can be fairly confidant won't be left behind on the OS version updates.

It almost seems like BlackBerry is putting security updates out very frequently to make up for their users not getting the next iteration of Android.

Hopefully BlackBerry will make all of this a moot point and bring Nougat to the Priv and DTEK60.
    07-31-17 02:29 PM
    I'm buying a Huawei Mate 9 tomorrow......but my Priv is going nowhere. I'm still going to use it as my "tablet" and not sell it. It will continue to be a great back up phone in case I don't like my new purchase (which I highly doubt).

I have a feeling that I'm going to be picking up this phone to hammer out emails for years to come. The poor battery life is the only issue I have, and the desire for a somewhat better camera with RAW support .

And I'm crossing my fingers that a Priv 2 or a KeyTwo are released and I can buy another physical keyboard device. I simply need higher performance and a better screen than the KeyOne and a little more faith in their manufacturing processes before I leap to BBM.

The Priv remains a highly capable and unique device that will continue to be used in my home until I kill it.
    Last edited by Nathan Conley; 07-31-17 at 05:22 PM.
    07-31-17 04:16 PM
    Mate 9 is a great phone at an even better price since it has been discounted. they have already announced it will get Android O. I will see what BlackBerry Mobile release this fall...if it is under speced and over priced I will grab the Mate 10 Q1 2018
    07-31-17 06:46 PM
    I totally agree with the Priv arguments. I would be a very happy user of a Priv with updated specs and maybe the spacebar fingerprint scanner addition. The keyboard slider is so well made and the device is durable. Just wish for a refresh of it.
    Do any of you guys know if there is a place for a "petition"? I know numbers for Priv were disappointing for Blackberry, but maybe it's a matter of persistence.
    Also, touch screen BB keyboard is the best (best touch screen keyboard).
    08-01-17 07:12 PM
    I totally agree with the Priv arguments. I would be a very happy user of a Priv with updated specs and maybe the spacebar fingerprint scanner addition. The keyboard slider is so well made and the device is durable. Just wish for a refresh of it.
    Do any of you guys know if there is a place for a "petition"? I know numbers for Priv were disappointing for Blackberry, but maybe it's a matter of persistence.
    I don't think TCL wants to try to produce a expensive and hard to make mechanism. Too risky.
    mimmesmo likes this.
    08-01-17 08:03 PM
    Nobody gives a .......... with petitions. If you want to have TCL produce something, make a business case for it with numbers and commitments from business vendors and carriers.
    mimmesmo likes this.
    08-01-17 09:33 PM