I don't know if you know this, but BlackBerry gets pretty good margins on its smartphone sales, much better than most Android OEMs. It's not a profitable division, but it probably would have been by now if Thor was still the CEO. Chen just moves far too few phones. His decision to kill developer relations and his inability to sell anything outside of BlackBerry's existing networks in enterprise and government just really, really hurt. By his own admission, he only needs to sell 10 million of them in a year with BB10. But, the upside is even greater with your own platform -- app sales revenue, licensing revenue, crossover form factors, etc., etc.

Don't get me wrong, I may give in and buy an Android BlackBerry for the Hub and such, but I'd rather see BB10 grow and prosper into something awesome with a decent community of developers and cool IoT features and Blendy stuff not available on other platforms. But, well, with one of the worst CEOs in tech at the helm and billions in momentum wasted due to his misplay, does BlackBerry still have the capacity to have their own platform?

Posted via CB10
    The BlackBerry name was tarnished long before Chen took over as CEO. No one would have been able to move phones regardless of who you are/ were based this situation. One person is not at fault for that. This is an issue that started long before John took over

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 02:32 PM
    That's a good point about the association in customer's minds. So many still think BB7, and not even BB10!

I would hope BB has a plan to promote this phone. Maybe this is what they've been saving their powder for?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    But if BlackBerry comes out and runs all the ads, what would they do to convince people to move to just another Android phone maker. There isn't anything that is going to attract people to just another Android.
    08-17-15 02:36 PM
    But if BlackBerry comes out and runs all the ads, what would they do to convince people to move to just another Android phone maker. There isn't anything that is going to attract people to just another Android.
    Enterprise and carrier connections. Best slider in the world. Official Google Play store. Current and flagship.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 02:51 PM
    They aren't going to continue to market an O/S that's dead in the water. They would be risking this and spending too much money trying to market almost the same thing that is out there already

Plus it's been too hyped up already and the fact that Chen has told developers to develop for Android should be the writing on the wall and come to no surprise

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 03:20 PM
    The big reason why it's a big risk is because they will be gambling their loyal fan base for POTENTIAL sales. I for one love android but would not want it as my main phone. If BlackBerry does go android I see no reason why their phones will be any different from the hundreds of android phones. I can get a top of the line one plus 2 for a fraction of the price with top notch specs, BlackBerry isn't known to have the current specs on their phone. Say BlackBerry fails with android and goes back to bb10, they just betrayed their fans and I know some won't come crawling back. Could it make them a lot of money? Yes. But I don't think it will, just look at samsung, the king of android, and they're sliding down, Sony, is in trouble as well, along with all the other android titans. I say if you release android, do a BlackBerry version as well, play it safe.

Posted via CB10
    The BlackBerry fan base is leaving daily (in the USA for example) . The potential number of buyer's for Android BlackBerry devices coming from Android OS or BlackBerry OS far exceed those wanting to stay with BB10 or BBOS.

http://files.ctctcdn.com/150f9af2201...442c2ceb10.pdf
    08-21-15 05:23 PM
    Blackberry needs to stick with OS10. As the article mentions, no one needs another Android manufacturer. The unique selling point is their OS. I use my z10 because I think it is a very good OS. Hardware wise there were several better devices. I only got the phone for the OS.

You could argue that the keyboard of Blackberry is another unique selling point. I disagree. Even if a slider with android is a success, Samsung & Co. would just launch a new device with a keyboard in order to capture this market. No point in buying a Blackberry anymore.
    08-21-15 06:27 PM
    I wonder if Chen knows what an infomercial is? BlackBerry serious needs to start running them and giving people a way to learn about what makes BlackBerry special today compared to the other garbage in the market.

Also, if they really do allow android as an OS on their next mobile, I sure the he'll hope it is crippled with only half the RAM and CPU being available under assdroid, but boot into bb10 and have full power. Consumers might buy for assdroid, but then stay for bb10.

Typed from my AT&T passport
    08-21-15 07:29 PM
    I think this is stupid move for BlackBerry. Too many android player around there. Except BlackBerry build the same HUB style on their Android..

Without BlackBerry Hub??? Nops.. I don't think so.. I am using BlackBerry because of Hub. I am using of windows phone, because of Live Tile. I won't missed my full notification by using Android.. and I dont want invest my expensive money to Android OS, when you can buy cheap under 100 dollars android around there

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 04:25 AM
    Well, we don't know what is really going on - but with the leaks that are out we can surmise the following:
    1. There will be an android version with Blackberry Launcher and Blackberry Experience. - with this you get full android and GPS.
    2. There will be a BB10 version - what we have come to love already. Not sure if there will be a boost to 10.3.3
    What we don't know, is if there will be a dual boot version. I am not a fan of this - because it only appeals to gear heads - not the masses. But it is fine if 1 and 2 above exist.

A Secure Android BB Slider could be a success - as it solves the App Gap. Thats it. It is too hard to try and fight the Google Play Services machine, and developers are lazy. MSFT is trying, and will also lose. There is just no getting around the sheer numbers of all the Android phones that developers can access, without having to do one ounce of effort more. Who cares about BB and MSFT Windows phone users.

I believe there is a really opportunity here. What is even a larger opportunity, is if they can offer the Blackberry Experience to Consumers and Businesses, for some recurring fee per year. It does not have to be much - perhaps $19.99 a year? That would be an enormous home run considering what the manufacturers are making on phones, which is nothing. I would pay that easily to get the BB Experience onto my Sony Z3 Compact - the last phone out there with good specs in a reasonable size for me.
    MO3iusONE and DarkJoker33 like this.
    08-22-15 05:52 AM
    Well, we don't know what is really going on - but with the leaks that are out we can surmise the following:
    1. There will be an android version with Blackberry Launcher and Blackberry Experience. - with this you get full android and GPS.
    2. There will be a BB10 version - what we have come to love already. Not sure if there will be a boost to 10.3.3
    What we don't know, is if there will be a dual boot version. I am not a fan of this - because it only appeals to gear heads - not the masses. But it is fine if 1 and 2 above exist.

A Secure Android BB Slider could be a success - as it solves the App Gap. Thats it. It is too hard to try and fight the Google Play Services machine, and developers are lazy. MSFT is trying, and will also lose. There is just no getting around the sheer numbers of all the Android phones that developers can access, without having to do one ounce of effort more. Who cares about BB and MSFT Windows phone users.

I believe there is a really opportunity here. What is even a larger opportunity, is if they can offer the Blackberry Experience to Consumers and Businesses, for some recurring fee per year. It does not have to be much - perhaps $19.99 a year? That would be an enormous home run considering what the manufacturers are making on phones, which is nothing. I would pay that easily to get the BB Experience onto my Sony Z3 Compact - the last phone out there with good specs in a reasonable size for me.
    I think they would just have to include this as part of their BES 12 pricing package. They might get some additional sales as an App but I am not hopeful. The same people that do not buy BB10 phones would not buy this either.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 07:57 AM
35 12