I own both.

Where the Priv is stronger :
    - Slider keyboard
    - BB apps, launcher and hub

Where the S7 Edge completely crushes Priv
    - Build quality
    - Hardware specs

Batterylife on the S7 was also WAY better until I upgraded the Priv to Marshmallow. Now they are equally excellent with regard to battery life (not surprising given that battery size and screen size are identical). Marshmallow really does wonders for battery life.

So until Blackberry stop being "cheap" on specs and hardware on their socalled flagship phones, I try to get the best of both worlds by running the BB apps and hub on the S7. Simply because the joy of carrying such build quality combined with how much more "snappy" it's performance make me sacrifice the joy of the keyboard.

What frustrates me is that if Blackberry simply had put another 25-30 $ of HW costs into the Priv (better screen, better processor, more premium materials), they would have a truly spectacular product in the Priv (the type of build quality they had in the Passport Silver Edition).

I just do not understand why they time and time again "shoot themselves in the foot" by underpowering their phones.

I am fairly certain that a "Blackberry Priv" design with S7 specs and close to BB Porsche Design build quality would dominate the top end of the market together with iPhones (many in that segment will simply never leave IOS). Such a phone may cost BB 50-100 $ more to build, but would sell in way larger quantities, even with a 100-150 $ higher price point.

Of course there is also a large potential for BB in 450 $ mid market. But Blackberry need to learn - and learn fast - that in the 750-950 $ market they simply cannot compromise on specs, materials and build quality if they are to succeed. The market of those who are willing to pay such prices just for the physical keyboard and superior SW tweaks is simply not large enough. (especially now that we can have the SW on any competing Android device, and get a "better Blackberry" from other manufacturers than Blackberry).
    Last edited by espenfjogstad; 04-22-16 at 09:37 AM.
    04-22-16 06:58 AM

I am fairly certain that a "Blackberry Priv" design with S7 specs and close to BB Porsche Design build quality would dominate the top end of the market together with iPhones (many in that segment will simply never leave IOS). Such a phone may cost BB 50-100 $ more to build, but would sell in way larger quantities, even with a 100-150 $ higher price point.

Of course there is also a large potential for BB in 450 $ mid market. But Blackberry need to learn - and learn fast - that in the 750-950 $ market they simply cannot compromise on specs, materials and build quality if they are to succeed. The market of those who are willing to pay such prices just for the physical keyboard and superior SW tweaks is simply not large enough. (especially now that we can have the SW on any competing Android device, and get a "better Blackberry" from other manufacturers than Blackberry).
    The problem is the mid rage market is no different...specs and quality will matter there also. A PKB is a differentiator, but I don't think it's one that matters in today's market. Security is a differentiator, but again unless Android is really seen as unsecure (more than reports of potential weakness) that won't matter much either.

Yesterday I saw that the LG G4 is now $350 on Amazon.... I doubt BlackBerry will build a mid range phone with the same specs as the PRIV and sell it for $350. The only way I see them staying in hardware is if their customer doesn't care... enterprise.

I think you can pretty forget about BlackBerry trying to appel to consumers again... won't be surprised IF they release another devices that its direct to customers and not through carriers.
    Bigman340 likes this.
    04-22-16 07:09 AM
    ...And Samsung advertises.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-22-16 07:22 AM
    I own both.

Where the Priv is stronger :
    - Slider keyboard
    - BB apps, launcher and hub

Where the S7 completely crushes Priv
    - Build quality
    - Hardware specs

Batterylife on the S7 was also WAY better until I upgraded the Priv to Marshmallow. Now they are equally excellent with regard to battery life (not surprising given that battery size and screen size are identical). Marshmallow really does wonders for battery life.
    Screen size on S7 edge is actually smaller than Priv in width by about 15%. One reason I like the Priv better for movies, games , pictures etc. You of course forgot to mention that S7 has a 12 MP rear camera and Priv has a 18MP camera.
    Priv on MM is now a better productive OS because of the BlackBerry Productivity apps.

Priv owner since Nov 6th 2015
    04-22-16 07:32 AM
    Samsung does advertising, they do big launch parties in multiple regions, they give sales incentives and prizing like products and trips to top sellers, they sponsor events where they do giveaways, bowling events for training sales reps on products. They literally shove the Samsung brand down your throat. And they do a good job of it.

Blackberry makes phones, convinces carriers to put them on the shelves, and hopes sales take off from there.

It's not just build quality that's keeping sales low.

04-22-16 07:44 AM
    Samsung does advertising, they do big launch parties in multiple regions, they give sales incentives and prizing like products and trips to top sellers, they sponsor events where they do giveaways, bowling events for training sales reps on products. They literally shove the Samsung brand down your throat. And they do a good job of it.

Blackberry makes phones, convinces carriers to put them on the shelves, and hopes sales take off from there.

It's not just build quality that's keeping sales low.

Advertising may sell more but it does not make it a better, more productive and more secure phone.

04-22-16 08:14 AM
    Samsung has better distribution and marketing.

If the PRIV were launched simultaneously on all the major carriers in major markets worldwide and had a marketing campaign that actually made sense, it may have fared better.

Oh yeah, and the launch price of the PRIV was way too high. Even Chen admits that.

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    BlackGuy likes this.
    04-22-16 08:21 AM
    You're comparing phones that came out at different times... how fair is that
    webmeister likes this.
    04-22-16 08:23 AM
    "cheap on specs"

Not that they have a choice. Lower volume means higher per unit cost. We're lucky we even got the 808 and not a 616.
    04-22-16 08:34 AM

If the PRIV were launched simultaneously on all the major carriers in major markets worldwide and had a marketing campaign that actually made sense, it may have fared better.

Oh yeah, and the launch price of the PRIV was way too high. Even Chen admits that.

It always amazes me how CEO's and political leaders make such obvious mistakes...completely out of touch with reality
    04-22-16 10:23 AM
    In my opinion, BlackBerry does not have an advantage in the keyboard. It socks. If it were more similar to the Classic keyboard I would agree. I don't use my keyboard because it is rubbish. The touchscreen works much better.

04-22-16 10:40 AM
    In my opinion, BlackBerry does not have an advantage in the keyboard. It socks. If it were more similar to the Classic keyboard I would agree. I don't use my keyboard because it is rubbish. The touchscreen works much better.

That's a matter of opinion I guess. I've never had another pkb to compare it to but I really like the pkb on my priv

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    FF22 and mmcclure0453 like this.
    04-22-16 10:44 AM
    Ow well, we can keep ongoing with comparing the devices all the time but in the end it's a matter of taste and personal preferences.

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    FF22 likes this.
    04-22-16 10:50 AM
    If the S7 was so great they wouldn't have to offer two for one deals ...

heepman and mmcclure0453 like this.
    04-22-16 10:50 AM
    The problem with the Priv is the PRICE. We all know it's priced way too high. In terms of specs, yes it's not high end anymore. But Sony continues to come out with the same specs of their Z series, but they priced their phones right. You can buy a Z5 outright for $650. Unfortunately in Canada it's exclusive to Bell. That being said, BlackBerry needs to drop the price of the Priv, especially with the G5 out and soon the HTC 10. Put aside the S7, BlackBerry can't compete with LG and HTC if they don't do anything about their pricing.

I know this will never happen. If BlackBerry made the next Nexus device, they have a chance to stay in the handset industry. BlackBerry are horrible are marketing, however Nexus devices market themselves. I know LG won't be making the next Nexus. I don't now if Google will continue to have 2 manufacturer's to make a mid range and high end one. Both Nexus devices are selling well right now. It's a pipe dream, but BlackBerry would sell a lot of Nexus devices if they made them.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    04-22-16 11:05 AM

John Chen needs to stop talking. As of late, every time he talks it hurts BlackBerry even more.
    04-22-16 11:06 AM
    Wait you mean a phone that came out nearly 6 months after the priv has better specs?

Wow I am so shocked. I didn't know technology worked like that.
    04-22-16 11:22 AM
    Wait you mean a phone that came out nearly 6 months after the priv has better specs?

Wow I am so shocked. I didn't know technology worked like that.
    The better comparison would be with the Sony Xperia Z5. Both were released around the same time and have almost the same specs, but the prices are way off.
    04-22-16 11:24 AM
    BlackBerry's reputation is gone, then there are the sales people who don't bother with selling any of their phones. The company over prices its phones and don't bother with marketing. History suggests that once you lose your reputation it is near impossible to get it back.

All those factors combined are a potent mixture for failure. Sadly, it is already happening, the handset division has failed.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-16 11:27 AM
    ...And Samsung advertises.

Samsung is also perceived as "the android brand" at this point, which doesn't hurt. BlackBerry on the other hand, irrespective of advertising, is consider dated and dead.

04-22-16 11:33 AM
    Why are we even discussing this? It comes down to a very simple thing "marketing", Apple and Samsung are the masters of it while blackberry are the absolute worst,blackberrry make amazing phones but nobody knows about it, is that simple.

04-22-16 11:43 AM
    It always amazes me how CEO's and political leaders make such obvious mistakes...completely out of touch with reality
    That's because they don't live with us, they exist in a bubble. Reality doesn't touch them, until they are out of office--sometimes.
    04-22-16 11:44 AM
    That's because they don't live with us, they exist in a bubble. Reality doesn't touch them, until they are out of office--sometimes.
    yea and then they're like " oh what happened? i thought we were cool" lol
    phuoc likes this.
    04-22-16 11:51 AM
    You all think BlackBerry is targeting the consumer market? Think again. Do you think BlackBerry is all about hardware (smart phones) ? Think again. You all think Chen answers to Joe consumer and not institutional investors? Think again.
    This company is moving mainly to a business software company and will only make future phones to cater to that market. If at all. Maybe some of you should look at what QNX does.

04-22-16 12:03 PM
    You all think BlackBerry is targeting the consumer market? Think again. Do you think BlackBerry is all about hardware (smart phones) ? Think again. You all think Chen answers to Joe consumer and not institutional investors? Think again.
    This company is moving mainly to a business software company and will only make future phones to cater to that market. If at all. Maybe some of you should look at what QNX does.

it's that same strategy that almost killed the hardware business. targeting business is good but not enough
    phuoc and pantlesspenguin like this.
    04-22-16 12:13 PM
158 123 ...