06-01-15 11:02 PM
126 12345 ...
tools
    The Torch is what started my BlackBerry addiction.
    04-24-15 02:07 PM
    I still have my Torch 9800, still works fine. I like the slider, when I'm not typing I slide it closed and it takes up less space in my pocket. I took it out at a restaurant a while ago, slid it open an began typing. Buddy guy looks over and says: "Cool phone, who makes that ?" I said it's my 4 year old Blackberry
    You were in a restaurant with Buddy Guy? Lucky!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    04-24-15 03:17 PM
    I don't get the excitement about a slider.

I had a Torch. It's annoying to have to slide out the keyboard to type. And, I type a lot, so I had it extended a lot... which was kinda cumbersome. Really did not like the Torch.

So, please explain. What am I missing? Because I am about to replace my Z10, and I'd like to know what the fuss is about re: a slider... and if I should wait.

Thanks!

Posted via BlackBerry Z10

Some people like Spinach while I do not. I can only assume they have a genetic defect for thinking differently than me.
    04-24-15 03:18 PM
    How do you feel if they're going to release the same phone without the slide out keyboard? Because I have a feeling they're going to do that for all the people complaining about there's no device to upgrade from Z10 or Z30.
    I can't see them not doing that either. It would be cheap for them to do so and provide another type of device for their catalog. With the 'Edge' style screen, it's going to generate a bit of buzz in the media. Even if they get criticized for copying. Combined with the slide out physical keyboard, not to mention the possibility of it having capacitive sensors, BlackBerry will be laughing. All they have to do is announce that it exists. Otherwise, people won't even believe it when they see it.

04-24-15 03:20 PM

It's annoying to have to slide out the keyboard to type.
    Do you remember that, if you DIDN'T slide out the keyboard, you would have an on-screen virtual keyboard? Remember that? Well what's great about the new Slider is that if you WANT a keyboard, you can have one. If you want the awesome BB10 Virtual Keyboard, you can have that too. Best of both worlds. (Plus, from what we've heard, this is going to be a very powerful device with some killer features, so that adds to the excitement for me.)
    04-24-15 04:57 PM
    I think the Slider and the Passport differentiate BlackBerry from the other phones. The Classic and Leap offer affordable solutions to businesses. I think BlackBerry will stay with 4 devices, 2 high end unique ones and 2 economic ones. Like it or not they need to streamline their business.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 (Telus)
    04-24-15 06:38 PM
    I can't see them not doing that either. It would be cheap for them to do so and provide another type of device for their catalog. With the 'Edge' style screen, it's going to generate a bit of buzz in the media. Even if they get criticized for copying. Combined with the slide out physical keyboard, not to mention the possibility of it having capacitive sensors, BlackBerry will be laughing. All they have to do is announce that it exists. Otherwise, people won't even believe it when they see it.

It would seem to be an option, hopefully they're seriously considering it given the number of upset people over the lack of a high end pure touch device for this year. I assume the curved edge display means that Samsung is helping or collaborating in some way that reflects their new quasi-partnership (or new bff status, lol) so it may not be copying.
    04-24-15 07:45 PM
    Yes I do remember the Torch, that's why I'm excited

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 07:55 PM
    Never cared for the Torch. Sliders always loosened or broke over time. I preferred the Bold > Torch. I'd rather see a high end all touch, and a high end follow up to the Classic, than a compromise of the two form factors in a slider.
    04-24-15 08:35 PM
    The EDIT: my* 9800 was soooo badly build, I hated it
    I bought the 9900 when it came out.. but the cam was soooooo bad.... I didn't want the all touch torch 9860 with it notorious scratchtic screen.. so I got the 9810..

9810 was wayyy better than the 9800 regarding build. Was rock solid. The camera on that phone, the 9810, was amazing too. Fast, great auto focus. Best pics I've ever taken on a phone, beat my ip5 and ip4 easily.

.. that's a good idea. Buying a 9810 asap as a camera. That 5mp shooter pics are better quality than my 8mp z and more accurate, reliable and convenient than my passport.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 04-25-15 at 09:57 AM.
    04-24-15 10:48 PM
    The 9800 was soooo badly build, I hated it
    I bought the 9900 when it came out.. but the cam was soooooo bad.... I didn't want the all touch torch 9860 with it notorious scratchtic screen.. so I got the 9810..

9810 was wayyy better than the 9800 regarding build. Was rock solid. The camera on that phone, the 9810, was amazing too. Fast, great auto focus. Best pics I've ever taken on a phone, beat my ip5 and ip4 easily.

.. that's a good idea. Buying a 9810 asap as a camera. That 5mp shooter pics are better quality than my 8mp z and more accurate, reliable and convenient than my passport.

That's odd, I've never heard that. I thought there were just internal differences (storage etc).

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 12:02 AM
    That's odd, I've never heard that. I thought there were just internal differences (storage etc).

Posted via CB10
    The 9810 and 9850/60 were identical in regards to internal specs, the 9900 was too but had a different camera.

9810 and 9850/60 has 5mp AF camera. 9900 had the worst camera ever (well.. I'm exaggerating, but it was bad.) on a flagship 5mp EDOF. I think this is the same camera on the PlayBook and q5, but not sure.

Biggest question mark of bbos era. Why did they do that? Because they wanted a thin phone.
    So the 9900 got a crappy battery and a horrible camera, where the 9810 was a solid, very reliable device.

RyanGermann likes this.
    04-25-15 12:10 AM
    The 9810 and 9850/60 were identical in regards to internal specs, the 9900 was too but had a different camera.

9810 and 9850/60 has 5mp AF camera. 9900 had the worst camera ever (well.. I'm exaggerating, but it was bad.) on a flagship 5mp EDOF. I think this is the same camera on the PlayBook and q5, but not sure.

Biggest question mark of bbos era. Why did they do that? Because they wanted a thin phone.
    So the 9900 got a crappy battery and a horrible camera, where the 9810 was a solid, very reliable device.

But how was it worlds better than the 9800? I had the 9800 and, as much as I try to take care of my phones, I work outside and they usually got the snot beat out of them. The 9800 didn't ever flinch. Screen never came loose, keys all worked fine, even the battery door stayed snug for the whole time that I used it.

The only difference I knew of between the 9800 and the 9810 was that the latter was able to be used as a wireless hotspot where the former was not. Too bad because I'd be tempted to pop a sim card into mine (with the adaptor) and use my Passport as a wifi-only device... Just to get even more excited about the new slider!!!

04-25-15 01:05 AM
    But how was it worlds better than the 9800? I had the 9800 and, as much as I try to take care of my phones, I work outside and they usually got the snot beat out of them. The 9800 didn't ever flinch. Screen never came loose, keys all worked fine, even the battery door stayed snug for the whole time that I used it.

The only difference I knew of between the 9800 and the 9810 was that the latter was able to be used as a wireless hotspot where the former was not. Too bad because I'd be tempted to pop a sim card into mine (with the adaptor) and use my Passport as a wifi-only device... Just to get even more excited about the new slider!!!

I got the 9800 early.. perhaps why mine was so horrible.
    I replaced it like 6x within the first 30 days because either the screen would get progressively worse or the phone would overheat like crazy.
    I eventually got a good refurb, but my 9810 build quality felt amazing from day one. My 9800 never felt "amazing", the refurb felt good though. Maybe it was a timing issue with build quality.

9810 and 9800 are some of the only phones I used naked, 9810 survived longer and was used a lot more heavily.

04-25-15 01:22 AM
    I got the 9800 early.. perhaps why mine was so horrible.
    I replaced it like 6x within the first 30 days because either the screen would get progressively worse or the phone would overheat like crazy.
    I eventually got a good refurb, but my 9810 build quality felt amazing from day one. My 9800 never felt "amazing", the refurb felt good though. Maybe it was a timing issue with build quality.

9810 and 9800 are some of the only phones I used naked, 9810 survived longer and was used a lot more heavily.

Must have been an early run of them that were not that great because that phone took more abuse than any of mine and I loved how solid it was. Never had a single problem with it. Well, maybe a couple but they were OS related and once I found the most 'optimized' version, that thing was a beast!

04-25-15 01:25 AM
    Must have been an early run of them that were not that great because that phone took more abuse than any of mine and I loved how solid it was. Never had a single problem with it. Well, maybe a couple but they were OS related and once I found the most 'optimized' version, that thing was a beast!

Sounds like your experience with 9800 was similar to mine with 9810 - GREAT!

Let's hope they remember whatever it was they fixed between my bad 9800s and the good ones.
    Sliding the 9810 open and shut repeatedly was such a good feeling. Like a stress ball LoL. Beast of a phone.

04-25-15 01:35 AM
    Totally different device.

Designed explicitly as a full-touch replacement device as well, it is supposedly fairly light and thin. With the capacitive touch keyboard, you can use it like a trackpad for fine cursor control.

Even if you prefer to use the virtual keyboard, you have to admit it might be handy every now and then to make use of a keyboard without taking half your screen while browsing.

Obviously we'll have to see it to believe it, but it looks promising.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    After your reading your post, the phone makes a lot more sense to me know. It would be a good idea to give people an option of using both the virtual and physical keyboards, especially for non-BlackBerry users.

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    04-25-15 02:28 AM
    The 9800 was soooo badly build, I hated it.

I think you got a lemon 9800 and a good 9810... the mechanisms are identical, only the internals differ in terms of faster CPU and better screen, and faster network support.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 08:23 AM
    BlackBerry Torch 9800 was the compelling fatal self stab for BlackBerry. I bought that device for an unrealistic price only to abandon it with passion.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 08:30 AM
    I loved snapping my 9810 open and closed - I hope this one gives a good solid snap. Trivial I know, but no worse than people saying a phone is ugly or clunky.

Posted via CB10
    nah.uhh likes this.
    04-25-15 09:47 AM
    I loved the Torch. Touchscreen when you wanted it and full keyboard when you needed it.

Now with BB10 the touchscreen is going to be awesome coupled with the slider keyboard.

I'm with others on this...I'm in the lineup on release day for the Slider. Wife will get the Classic as a hand me down

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    04-25-15 10:18 AM
    I don't get the excitement about a slider.

I had a Torch. It's annoying to have to slide out the keyboard to type. And, I type a lot, so I had it extended a lot... which was kinda cumbersome. Really did not like the Torch.

So, please explain. What am I missing? Because I am about to replace my Z10, and I'd like to know what the fuss is about re: a slider... and if I should wait.

Thanks!

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    So buy a Classic then?!

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 12:04 PM
    I loved my torch, wish they still made the charging cradle, like the one I had for the torch, also had a similar holder for in my car. Had the charger built in, can't remember the make.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 07:54 PM
    The Torch was one of a kind in my point of view it was the perfect device for me as it was exceptionally different than others. The sliding thing by itself is just so cool and make you look cool

Can't wait for the slider

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 08:43 PM
    I loved my torch, it was my first BlackBerry. The perfect form factor for me. Keyboard when you need it, not there when ya don't.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-15 06:17 AM
126 12345 ...