Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    LordCrankypants quoted "John Chen even said in his interview that one of the reasons they went with Android was to save money on drivers and the various things they would have to do with the OS in order to make BB10 work on the Priv."

First of all, that just sounds wrong. The amount of work to make BB10 work on Priv is probably the same as the amount of work to make BB10 work on any other upcoming BB10-only devices. With the same arguments, we will not see any new BB10 devices.

I appreciate the Android-based Priv as a strategic move into the enterprise market. Priv would be the top choice for any companies who would only consider Androids for employees. On the consumer side, Priv should stand out as a great refreshing new product to try, when all other devices are more or less the same as the previous generations.

It's a great timing for Priv, but it's also why dual-booting Android/BB10 matters now. People are getting confusing messages from BlackBerry's move to go Android. Going dual-boot gives confidence to the BB10 ecosystem. This is like the last chance for the world to really try the super awesome BB10. If Android-only Priv do well and most likely they will do okay, it makes more sense for them to focus more on Android and spend less resources on BB10. BlackBerry will focus more on BB10 when more consumers suddenly want more of BB10. Without an attempt to capture new users at this great opportunity, BB10 will miss its chance to shine.

Introduce 2 variants if absolutely necessary, one Priv with reasonable storage, and most importantly one Priv with crazy amount storage that can do dual boot (come out few months later if necessary). Basically, offer what the Pro (early Android adopters & CrackBerry addicts) are willing to pay. I personally would pay a premium for BB10 and the (world's first?) dual-booting OS mobile device.

Then, you are not turning BB10 owners into Android users, but technically Android buyers became a true BB10 BlackBerry buyer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to make dual-booting works beautifully, we need:
    1. multi-OS bootloader (even the Android people will love this for their hacking)
    2. File system sync. I have multiple BB10 devices that syncs emails individually so it's easy to switch devices. A dual-boot devices would need a shared storage (file system accessible by both OS that support same encryption mechanisms) for sharing documents, media, etc. Depending on what's already available, this one might be easy or tough.
    3. Or just cloud sync. Carriers will love this, syncing all file system changes over the air.

Finally, the question is, will people stay in BB10 or Android more? I like to think that Android users will eventually love BB10's speedy and intuitive interface, HUB, browsers, virtual keyboards, multi-tasking, etc. But what would make them give up Google Play Services? I don't have a good answer until BlackBerry somehow get Google to put their Maps/Voice on BB again. Maybe a strong integration with QNX in cars would help. Anyways, it's something we can think about after.

P.S. My first post on BlackBerry. Haven't use any forum for many years. This one is incredibly confusing.
    1. I can't 'find' a 'sign in' or 'login' link. I could finally login by going to the 'Account Support' at the bottom of forum.
    2. After l'm logged in, the forum don't show my profile or available features (Post new thread), until I click on 'Ask Question'
    2. The big ads at the top keep moving my page up and down. I would rather you use those cool new ads that takes over the whole page and then hides nicely in the background. Search TNW new canvas ads
    hlg8888 likes this.
    10-03-15 05:49 PM
    There won't be any new BB10-only handsets. Their partnership and likely inclusion in the OHA precludes them from bifurcation of OSs - i.e. android AND bb10
    10-03-15 06:39 PM
    Give up on the dual boot...BB10 is dead with the introduction of the Priv. At this point, given the abysmal sales of BB10, it's the Android solution or nothing.
    10-03-15 06:44 PM
    The amount of work to make BB10 work on Priv is probably the same as the amount of work to make BB10 work on any other upcoming BB10-only devices. With the same arguments, we will not see any new BB10 devices.
    There you have it. It really is that simple. Chen has laid out the decision on Priv, and you are exactly right in thinking that decision must necessarily mean no new phone hardware with BB10 (other than maybe a new color option for the Classic or something small like that).

All the rest of the confusion that you see is just people reading the very plain writing on the wall and refusing to accept it. If Priv is a success, then Chen will have found the OS which he plans to use going forward. If it's not successful, then he's finished making phones and he will focus then on to the other parts of the business.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-03-15 07:32 PM
    For those who didn't get the message first time round:

MO3iusONE and pkb0yz like this.
    10-03-15 07:43 PM
    IMHO - I believe even if Priv is successful, that Chen will dump the handset business anyway so he can focus resources on MDM - and the end goal for that is to sell the company once he has established at least baseline revenue and presence in the MDM space.

For this reason - in spite of being a loyal BlackBerry user for many years, and even though the Priv is quite appealing - I will be moving to another hardware platform. I am not excited to spend $800 on a Priv, and then have it turn out to be non- supported hardware and/or poor OS support because BlackBerry has bailed out of the device business.

Via CB10 - Z10-10.3.2.2639/799 - AT&T
    10-03-15 08:59 PM
    IMHO - I believe even if Priv is successful, that Chen will dump the handset business anyway so he can focus resources on MDM - and the end goal for that is to sell the company once he has established at least baseline revenue and presence in the MDM space.

For this reason - in spite of being a loyal BlackBerry user for many years, and even though the Priv is quite appealing - I will be moving to another hardware platform. I am not excited to spend $800 on a Priv, and then have it turn out to be non- supported hardware and/or poor OS support because BlackBerry has bailed out of the device business.

Via CB10 - Z10-10.3.2.2639/799 - AT&T
    At least better than buying a company to create a mobile business, spend all the money to "double down" and announce a handset then a month later out of nowhere announcing entire division gets wound down, and firesale all inventory.

I still see them doing BlackBerry branded devices, just that the hardware won't be in-house but all outsourced.
    10-03-15 09:34 PM
    I see the strategic plan being different. Android isn't good enough to secure information, so BB10 will continue to exist out of necessity. High level Government officials, Enterprise and SMB's that don't care about applications but must have efficient communications and secure low cost handsets, will opt for BB10. You'll be seeing more Leap's or cheaper.

The rest of the "prosumer" and hopefully consumer market will opt for the Priv and Android variants.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    10-04-15 07:12 AM
    Let it go.
    app_Developer and JeepBB like this.
    10-04-15 07:17 AM
    so BB10 will continue to exist out of necessity. High level Government officials, Enterprise and SMB's that don't care about applications but must have efficient communications and secure low cost handsets, will opt for BB10.
    How many of those customers exist? And what will it cost for BB to keep BB10 going for those few customers.

I work in the highly regulated financial industry which would be that target you're talking about, except that we have 23 apps in our internal app store. Most people here need at least one of those apps to do their jobs. So BB10 is not a viable option for us now, even though it might have been 2-3 years ago.

We can, however, buy the Priv. That would work for those who want a PKB.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by app_Developer; 10-04-15 at 08:45 AM.
    10-04-15 07:55 AM
    Jeez, give it up. Its not dual boot. Its an Android phone and an Android phone only. People have their hands on this device and there hasn't been one instance of it showing any evidence that it can run BB10. Its time to accept it and move on.
    Last edited by donnation; 10-04-15 at 07:41 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-04-15 08:20 AM
    I see the strategic plan being different. Android isn't good enough to secure information, so BB10 will continue to exist out of necessity. High level Government officials, Enterprise and SMB's that don't care about applications but must have efficient communications and secure low cost handsets, will opt for BB10. You'll be seeing more Leap's or cheaper.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    That's what everyone said about BBOS. "It has to go on because so many govt. entities and enterprise companies use it." They don't have to use it and will move to something else if they have to, just like many govt. organizations and enterprise companies have done.
    10-04-15 08:23 AM
    Let it go.
    But the can the BB10 people hold it back?
    10-04-15 09:31 AM
    welcome to cb?
    10-05-15 01:16 AM
    It's going to run os11. That's why you don't see it with 10.

Sadly it will be all android. I will mis 10 when she's gone.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 01:24 AM
    Really, we are talking about 0.5% of the smartphon market that is currently using BB10 - yeh, I am sure holding on to those hand full of users is a clever idea....
    BB tried for the last 5 years to sell handsets - that didnt work. Will it work with Android? Noone knows - maybe because they are the only one offering a keyboard on that ecosystem. But one thing is for sure, BB10 was dead for quite some time. The few die hard fans in this forum didnt make an impact (business wise) - and even the die hards were leaving BB (sales figures should tell the story).
    I welcome the change and I am looking forward to the Priv.
    10-05-15 02:24 AM