Don't shoot me for the question but.....

Why do we expect ANY updates beyond fixing something that was broken? We don't pay a maint stream, we bought a device for what it does at the time of purchase and it continues to provide that value that was purchased.

I fully appreciate updates and they are great to get but there has to be a return on engineering newer software on older devices. Where does BlackBerry get stream revenue to justify updates?

Anyway I think the point is, unless we are paying for updates, none should be required outside of 1 year.

If we get Nougat outside of a milky way, it's a gift ha ha
    04-20-17 05:41 PM
    04-20-17 05:55 PM

Why do we expect ANY updates beyond fixing something that was broken? We don't pay a maint stream, we bought a device for what it does at the time of purchase and it continues to provide that value that was purchased.

I fully appreciate updates and they are great to get but there has to be a return on engineering newer software on older devices. Where does BlackBerry get stream revenue to justify updates?

Anyway I think the point is, unless we are paying for updates, none should be required outside of 1 year.

I might suggest that part of the initial price we paid goes to support the "future-proofing" of the device to some extent including the costs of adapting upgrades to fit the hardware.
    04-20-17 07:52 PM

In addition to what F2 said, you kind of expect the OEM to rollout updates as new features are contained within them. Imagine if you bought a computer that had Windows 8 and you couldn't update to Windows 8.1 or 10, people would flip.

The hardware on the Priv is not that outdated either. With devices using the same SoC getting Nougat, it's also fair to want the Priv to get the update as well.
    04-20-17 08:46 PM
    I might suggest that part of the initial price we paid goes to support the "future-proofing" of the device to some extent including the costs of adapting upgrades to fit the hardware.
    True and they released with lollipop and updated to marshmallow, where does it stop?

I get why Google or Apple continuously update the OS, they have revenue in advertisement, AI farming and it drives new hardware and add on devices. I'd love to see updates forever, but I definitely do not expect them
    04-20-17 09:37 PM
    In addition to what F2 said, you kind of expect the OEM to rollout updates as new features are contained within them. Imagine if you bought a computer that had Windows 8 and you couldn't update to Windows 8.1 or 10, people would flip.

The hardware on the Priv is not that outdated either. With devices using the same SoC getting Nougat, it's also fair to want the Priv to get the update as well.
    Well 8 to 8.1 is in same release and to be expected. You had to pay to move up until win 10 (for most). MS moved Windows into continuous release and they have revenue streams built into the OS that help fund development. The OS is up to you to upgrade with MS not the hardware vendor.

Should BlackBerry offer a nougat priv pack for $5? I don't know but seems reasonable.
    04-20-17 09:43 PM
    3 years of updates should be expected as bare minimum from any mobile device, especially ones aimed at government and corporate use where upgrade cycle generally runs 3-5 years.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-17 09:44 PM
    Why? Because BlackBerry indicated last fall that the Priv would receive N, and has never indicated otherwise.

The SOC supports N, and the device isn't two years old. Pretty simple.
    goku_vegeta, FF22 and megafan2000 like this.
    04-20-17 10:07 PM
    Well 8 to 8.1 is in same release and to be expected. You had to pay to move up until win 10 (for most). MS moved Windows into continuous release and they have revenue streams built into the OS that help fund development. The OS is up to you to upgrade with MS not the hardware vendor.

Should BlackBerry offer a nougat priv pack for $5? I don't know but seems reasonable.
    My point was the hardware can still run the newer Windows version. Plus with 10 they had a huge marketing push so even one of my computers, a laptop that came with Windows 7 even got 10 pushed to it.

No other OEM charges for OS upgrades, BlackBerry is in no position to buck the trend.
    04-20-17 11:04 PM
    BB is still selling Priv. So even if your 1 year support applies, it applies also to the people that is buying Priv now. And if that people is getting updates, it makes no sense you are not able to download them either.
    BB don't sell a zillion different phones now, only 4. I think we can demand some extra care on their flagships.
    All that said, I do prefer BB uses all their effort in improving the hub and all their programs on Android before they spend time on making Priv run Nougat. The set of BB android apps is good, but needs still a lot of work.
    For example, the productivity tab should be integrated with bb hub, we should have a clock app that acks as BB10's, recent apps is still less beautifull that in BB, sliding up could be worked up so it acts like BB10's...
    FF22 and PDAJAH like this.
    04-21-17 02:05 AM
    BB is still selling Priv. So even if your 1 year support applies, it applies also to the people that is buying Priv now. And if that people is getting updates, it makes no sense you are not able to download them either.
    BB don't sell a zillion different phones now, only 4. I think we can demand some extra care on their flagships.
    All that said, I do prefer BB uses all their effort in improving the hub and all their programs on Android before they spend time on making Priv run Nougat. The set of BB android apps is good, but needs still a lot of work.
    For example, the productivity tab should be integrated with bb hub, we should have a clock app that acks as BB10's, recent apps is still less beautifull that in BB, sliding up could be worked up so it acts like BB10's...
    I own a PRIV. It came with Lollipop and soon got Marshmallow. I don't expect Nougat for a couple of reasons. The first is that my PRIV is/was AT&T carrier locked and my carrier is AT&T. Second, BlackBerry is not in the hardware business anymore. There is no benefit to BlackBerry to send me the Nougat upgrade. I'm OK with stopping at Marshmallow anyway. The PRIV was built optimized to Lollipop and handles Marshmallow pretty good. I'd hate to install Nougat and go through all the craziness of an OS that is two cycles later and not optimized for my device.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-17 06:33 AM
    3 years of updates should be expected as bare minimum from any mobile device, especially ones aimed at government and corporate use where upgrade cycle generally runs 3-5 years.

Posted via CB10
    I agree if that is what you bought.
    04-21-17 06:57 AM
    Why? Because BlackBerry indicated last fall that the Priv would receive N, and has never indicated otherwise.

The SOC supports N, and the device isn't two years old. Pretty simple.
    And we've received a major OS upgrade and countless point fixes. Not sure where the agreement between you and BlackBerry is that says you're guaranteed to get nougat.
    04-21-17 06:59 AM
    BB is still selling Priv. So even if your 1 year support applies, it applies also to the people that is buying Priv now.
    Exactly right. Priv is not EOL. It is a current device. Updates are coming monthly. I believe that all current Privs come with Marshmallow already installed. Current customers should EXPECT Nougat if they bought a Priv today.
    04-21-17 07:29 AM

Well the priv is still on sale and it lags like a motherf***. The key one (as powerfull as the priv) runs A LOT faster, and ALOT smoother with 7.0 Nogaut. Not to mention aditional features.

There's your answer
    Matt J likes this.
    04-21-17 08:34 AM
    And we've received a major OS upgrade and countless point fixes. Not sure where the agreement between you and BlackBerry is that says you're guaranteed to get nougat.
    It's not about being guaranteed, it's about what it's right. Many manufacturers like LG, samsung, sony, etc have updated DISCONTINUED PHONES to nogaut 7.0. The priv ISN'T discountinued yet....

One does not need an IT qualification to understand that is more than expectable that PRIV users should be wanting 7.0, especially at the super premium price that the priv cost when launched

Wait, there's more. When 7.0 was released (august 2016), PRIV wans't even 1 year old. Priv wasn't even 1 year old and we had manufacturers like LG (V20) launching with 7.0.

How many more reasons do you need?
    Matt J and megafan2000 like this.
    04-21-17 08:38 AM
    Point will never change. What you buy today is what was sold. No manufacturer is required to provide major updates such as a full version release. Point releases absolutely but a full version upgrade is gravy.

There is no requirement to you or I unless you have a maintenance contract. Is it right? All opinion so it doesn't matter.

Maybe you'll get a new engine in you 1 year old car since a new model came out?
    AlKa likes this.
    04-21-17 08:48 AM
    Cause BlackBerry is a software company now. For them it will be a breeze to bring A7.1 update to Priv
    04-21-17 09:03 AM
    And no where did I imply that they were legally obligated to upgrade. But if BlackBerry wants to stay in the mobile business, even through licensing agreements, then they need to offer value in their phones. If they don't upgrade to N, they will lose me as a future customer. Many others feel the same way.
    04-21-17 11:05 AM
    And no where did I imply that they were legally obligated to upgrade. But if BlackBerry wants to stay in the mobile business, even through licensing agreements, then they need to offer value in their phones. If they don't upgrade to N, they will lose me as a future customer. Many others feel the same way.
    BlackBerry is no longer in the hardware business so there are no future devices to sell you so BlackBerry doesn't care what you think. Once the PRIV and DTEK hardware is gone, it's gone. Like PlayBook and BB10 devices, they've all been written off. Future Android updates for BlackBerry Mobile is up to BlackBerry Mobile.
    04-21-17 05:06 PM
    BlackBerry is no longer in the hardware business so there are no future devices to sell you so BlackBerry doesn't care what you think. Once the PRIV and DTEK hardware is gone, it's gone. Like PlayBook and BB10 devices, they've all been written off. Future Android updates for BlackBerry Mobile is up to BlackBerry Mobile.
    You are flat out incorrect, and lack basic understanding as to how licensing agreements work. BlackBerry profits off of the use of it's name and software.

You also are incorrect about software, as BlackBerry still is handling all software and security updates.
    04-21-17 06:02 PM
    OP, in most jurisdiction, jurisprudence states that a manufacturer's product has to function for a reasonable period. In the tech world, it would be updating the device cause functionality can be quickly loss without any updates.
    04-21-17 06:09 PM
    I own a PRIV. It came with Lollipop and soon got Marshmallow. I don't expect Nougat for a couple of reasons. The first is that my PRIV is/was AT&T carrier locked and my carrier is AT&T. Second, BlackBerry is not in the hardware business anymore. There is no benefit to BlackBerry to send me the Nougat upgrade. I'm OK with stopping at Marshmallow anyway. The PRIV was built optimized to Lollipop and handles Marshmallow pretty good. I'd hate to install Nougat and go through all the craziness of an OS that is two cycles later and not optimized for my device.

Posted via CB10
    The device was barely considered usable on Lollipop. Marshmallow was the saving grace for the Priv.
    Last edited by goku_vegeta; 05-06-17 at 11:20 PM.
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    04-21-17 06:16 PM
    Point will never change. What you buy today is what was sold. No manufacturer is required to provide major updates such as a full version release. Point releases absolutely but a full version upgrade is gravy.

There is no requirement to you or I unless you have a maintenance contract. Is it right? All opinion so it doesn't matter.

Maybe you'll get a new engine in you 1 year old car since a new model came out?
    if you ever were responsible of CRM in a company, the company would go bankrupt with no customers next month... you have like, NO CLUE.

Do you remember samsung exploding phones (note 7)? well, samsung took back those phones, and not only refounded their costomers, they also gave their costomers a voucher. Now I ask you "why the f*** did they give those vouchers??? are they stupid. They weren't required to do that".... That's CRM - Costomer Relationship Management. Make costomers loyal to your brand. MAKE MONEY by having costomers to buy your product next time again.

(I don't know if you're just trolling me at this moment to have to explain basic things like this)

new engine? am I asking for a new processor in my phone? wtf.. wake up man. Just asking for some oil and filter changes wich dealers regularly do. Most dealers wash and clean your car during maintenance routine (and no, they don't have to do that)
    Nathan Conley likes this.
    04-22-17 07:18 AM
    if you ever were responsible of CRM in a company, the company would go bankrupt with no customers next month... you have like, NO CLUE.

Do you remember samsung exploding phones (note 7)? well, samsung took back those phones, and not only refounded their costomers, they also gave their costomers a voucher. Now I ask you "why the f*** did they give those vouchers??? are they stupid. They weren't required to do that".... That's CRM - Costomer Relationship Management. Make costomers loyal to your brand. MAKE MONEY by having costomers to buy your product next time again.

(I don't know if you're just trolling me at this moment to have to explain basic things like this)

new engine? am I asking for a new processor in my phone? wtf.. wake up man. Just asking for some oil and filter changes wich dealers regularly do. Most dealers wash and clean your car during maintenance routine (and no, they don't have to do that)
    Seems like BlackBerry or BlackBerry Mobile doesn't agree with you or your strategy. Perhaps you should contact TCL BlackBerry Mobile, submit your resume and then once you replace current executives, you can laugh at the rest of us dummies.
    04-23-17 11:28 PM
55 123