Why didn't they just build a non physical keyboarded phone for all us Z users? Kinda stupid unless they are releasing a non physical keyboard phone in a couple months hoping we buy this rattling thing first. Who knows.

Imagine the size the battery could of been or twin speakers and so on without the keyboard.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-21-16 05:05 PM
    Just don't slide out the keyboard on the priv. I never use the physical keyboard, but I don't notice it's there either

03-21-16 05:35 PM
    It was fairly simple math:

BB10 failed in the marketplace (regardless of whether you liked the OS or not), and wasn't going to continue to move forward at a massive financial loss, and thus the choice was either abandon hardware altogether or to take a shot with Android and see if that was sustainable. But if you're going to move to Android, you've got to be able to compete against all of the other Android phones.

BB can't compete on price - their volumes are too low. They can't compete at the high-end with all-touch, because they can't even GET the top-of-the-line hardware until it's been out a few months or more, because the big boys buy it all (and are higher-priority as a result). They can't use their security expertise to compete because consumers don't care enough about security to choose BB (and pay more for it) over a competitor's phone - often one that has better specs for less money.

The only thing that BB has that's unique and sets them apart from all the other manufacturers (and that's relevant for consumers) is their physical keyboard. Granted, most people don't even WANT a PKB, but those that do will usually choose BB's over anyone else's.

If BB made a non-PKB Priv, a percentage of BB fans would buy it, but even many of them would look at the specs and the prices and end up with an iPhone or a Galaxy or a G5 instead. BB couldn't sell enough of them to make them profitable - there's just too much competition in the space who can do it just as well or better for less money.

And don't even start on BB making more BB10 phones. Not one has ever turned a profit, and as sales volumes have gone down, it's only gotten worse and worse. Asking for more BB10 phones is asking BB to commit financial suicide - and Chen is smarter than that.
    03-21-16 05:36 PM
    Samsung S7 Edge?
    Huwaei?
    Axon?
    ZTE?
    LG G5?
    HTC 10?
    iPhone?

There's tone of slab phones. I'd pick the Nexus 6P or Note 5 if I had to choose a non BlackBerry.
    03-21-16 05:44 PM
    Samsung S7 Edge?
    Huwaei?
    Axon?
    ZTE?
    LG G5?
    HTC 10?
    iPhone?

There's tone of slab phones. I'd pick the Nexus 6P or Note 5 if I had to choose a non BlackBerry.
    I've got Note 5 too but to tell you the truth, it feels sterile in front of Priv. Even when it beats Priv in almost each department. There's something special about owning and using Priv.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    03-21-16 05:48 PM
    I think BlackBerry will build an all touch eventually but as a Z30 convert I rarely use the Priv keyboard. Mostly for paging through sites.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    03-21-16 06:03 PM
    Man I need to win powerball so I can support bb10!
    FF22 likes this.
    03-21-16 06:17 PM
    Man I need to win powerball so I can support bb10!
    If you win $500,000,000, you could buy a million and give a few to your closest friends.
    krazyatom likes this.
    03-21-16 06:51 PM
    Samsung S7 Edge?
    Huwaei?
    Axon?
    ZTE?
    LG G5?
    HTC 10?
    iPhone?

I posted this in another thread...

why didn't BlackBerry build a non physical keyboard phone for us Z users?-cimg0740.jpg

Same Snapdragon 808 processor, same 3GB memory, a third of the price. Priv's keyboardless cousin is my backup.
    03-21-16 07:56 PM
    It was fairly simple math:

BB10 failed in the marketplace (regardless of whether you liked the OS or not), and wasn't going to continue to move forward at a massive financial loss, and thus the choice was either abandon hardware altogether or to take a shot with Android and see if that was sustainable. But if you're going to move to Android, you've got to be able to compete against all of the other Android phones.

BB can't compete on price - their volumes are too low. They can't compete at the high-end with all-touch, because they can't even GET the top-of-the-line hardware until it's been out a few months or more, because the big boys buy it all (and are higher-priority as a result). They can't use their security expertise to compete because consumers don't care enough about security to choose BB (and pay more for it) over a competitor's phone - often one that has better specs for less money.

The only thing that BB has that's unique and sets them apart from all the other manufacturers (and that's relevant for consumers) is their physical keyboard. Granted, most people don't even WANT a PKB, but those that do will usually choose BB's over anyone else's.

If BB made a non-PKB Priv, a percentage of BB fans would buy it, but even many of them would look at the specs and the prices and end up with an iPhone or a Galaxy or a G5 instead. BB couldn't sell enough of them to make them profitable - there's just too much competition in the space who can do it just as well or better for less money.

And don't even start on BB making more BB10 phones. Not one has ever turned a profit, and as sales volumes have gone down, it's only gotten worse and worse. Asking for more BB10 phones is asking BB to commit financial suicide - and Chen is smarter than that.
    In some markets BlackBerry still has some brand value. "Average Joes" would value a BlackBerry all touch more than from an unknown brand.

As far as the Enterprise market, an all touch Android BlackBerry might be in the top five phones for security and working in a managed environment.

I feel that BlackBerry has a great sense of design and UI graphics and would be competitive in this respect.

I think there definitely is a market for BlackBerry as a mid level business prosumer device. Not a huge market but certainly large enough to make a positive contribution to the bottom line. I do not think that BlackBerry can be competitive at the top end or the bottom end of the smartphone market.

Posted via CB10
    baspeed likes this.
    03-21-16 09:03 PM
    In some markets BlackBerry still has some brand value. "Average Joes" would value a BlackBerry all touch more than from an unknown brand.
    Known brands are already half the price (LG G4 vs Priv - as mentioned above, they have identical specs minus the keyboard). And if the unknown brand was 1/2 or even 1/3 the price of the BB, the vast majority of Average Joes are absolutely going to pass right over the BB. Only hardcore fans view the BB name as added value in and of itself. Look at the marketshare numbers over the last year in any market and you'll see the truth of that.

As far as the Enterprise market, an all touch Android BlackBerry might be in the top five phones for security and working in a managed environment.
    That's irrelevant. Anything below 2nd place (Samsung) is effectively meaningless - the iPhone is in 1st place. 3rd Place and lower isn't going to give BB the volume of sales it needs to survive.

I feel that BlackBerry has a great sense of design and UI graphics and would be competitive in this respect.
    Great, but those are WAY down on the list of criteria that most people use to decide on what to buy. Price, specs, and brand name are the top 3, and BB will lose in all 3 of those.

I think there definitely is a market for BlackBerry as a mid level business prosumer device. Not a huge market but certainly large enough to make a positive contribution to the bottom line. I do not think that BlackBerry can be competitive at the top end or the bottom end of the smartphone market.
    There is massive competition in the middle, and very little money to be made there as a result. The same with the low-end. The only money is at the top of the market, which is why Apple focuses almost 100% there, and why they're so financially successful. It's also why the other company that makes a sizable amount of money (Samsung) makes most of it at the top of the market. If BB can't compete at the top of the market, there's no point in them being in the market at all. BB is way too big, and their overhead way too high, to compete at any other level.
    Mikey_NNG likes this.
    03-21-16 09:18 PM
    Known brands are already half the price (LG G4 vs Priv - as mentioned above, they have identical specs minus the keyboard). And if the unknown brand was 1/2 or even 1/3 the price of the BB, the vast majority of Average Joes are absolutely going to pass right over the BB. Only hardcore fans view the BB name as added value in and of itself. Look at the marketshare numbers over the last year in any market and you'll see the truth of that.

That's irrelevant. Anything below 2nd place (Samsung) is effectively meaningless - the iPhone is in 1st place. 3rd Place and lower isn't going to give BB the volume of sales it needs to survive.

Great, but those are WAY down on the list of criteria that most people use to decide on what to buy. Price, specs, and brand name are the top 3, and BB will lose in all 3 of those.

There is massive competition in the middle, and very little money to be made there as a result. The same with the low-end. The only money is at the top of the market, which is why Apple focuses almost 100% there, and why they're so financially successful. It's also why the other company that makes a sizable amount of money (Samsung) makes most of it at the top of the market. If BB can't compete at the top of the market, there's no point in them being in the market at all. BB is way too big, and their overhead way too high, to compete at any other level.
    BlackBerry says that they need to sell 5 million devices per year for the handset division to be sustainable . Perhaps BlackBerry could sell 1 to 2 million Android all touch phones per year in order to meet their goal. If they say that they can be successful as a niche manufacturer then they should know there business.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 10:08 PM
    Why didn't they just build a non physical keyboarded phone for all us Z users? Kinda stupid unless they are releasing a non physical keyboard phone in a couple months hoping we buy this rattling thing first. Who knows.

Imagine the size the battery could of been or twin speakers and so on without the keyboard.

BlackBerry has provided the luxury of both VKB and PKB all in one device keeping an eye for both Z , Q and Passport customers. I will call it customer centricity.

Blackberry Priv on Etisalat 4G Network
    03-21-16 10:14 PM

BlackBerry's first device using Android's OS needed to have as many differentiators as possible. The BlackBerry keyboard is probably the best and most recognizable differentiator. Without it, I can see consumers simply buying a Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 10:26 PM
    BlackBerry's first device using Android's OS needed to have as many differentiators as possible. The BlackBerry keyboard is probably the best and most recognizable differentiator. Without it, I can see consumers simply buying a Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    It seems to me that BlackBerry needed to come in at a price about $50 to $ 75 over a Moto X. The optional PKB is a nice to have not a need to have. Only a high end Galaxy can charge a top tier price for an Android phone. I do like the PRIV but think that it is just too expensive when you might only use the PKB on an occasional basis.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 11:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    Agree here. I barely notice Priv is even suppose to slide out.. But really it's when I do use it slid out that people actually ask me what I have which then starts some talk about how I like it. When I use it closed people just see it as another phone

*-* BBM Channel : Netflix Newsroom C003BA5E3 | Facebook.com/NetflixNewsroom *-*
    FF22 likes this.
    03-22-16 12:57 AM
    I posted this in another thread...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0740.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	394856

Same Snapdragon 808 processor, same 3GB memory, a third of the price. Priv's keyboardless cousin is my backup.
    So if a G4 is $ 0 down on Bell and a PRIV is $299 down. I would suggest that the PRIV should be something more like $99 to $ 149 down.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-16 02:07 AM
    So if a G4 is $ 0 down on Bell and a PRIV is $299 down. I would suggest that the PRIV should be something more like $99 to $ 149 down.

Posted via CB10
    There have been reports about the Priv being $199 already, and actually my G4 was more like $300 off contract. I got it off the mega sale Koodo is having right now, they're sending tab credits to everyone. Must be a bad quarter for Telus so they're trying to boost numbers.
    03-22-16 05:06 AM
    Agree here. I barely notice Priv is even suppose to slide out.. But really it's when I do use it slid out that people actually ask me what I have which then starts some talk about how I like it. When I use it closed people just see it as another phone

But when you type you get a tap for no reason except there is a keyboard under the keyboard. I can push top corner and feel lift bottom opposite corner. Just hate to buy this and see new non keyboard phone next month.

03-22-16 05:54 AM
    But when you type you get a tap for no reason except there is a keyboard under the keyboard. I can push top corner and feel lift bottom opposite corner. Just hate to buy this and see new non keyboard phone next month.

Hmm, I haven't had a screen lift issue like I saw on youtube. Hope that stays away... and I think the rumor is the next phone isn't gonna be a touch but a mix of classic and passport I think.. But we will see, honestly I think the Priv for the keyboard fans and a all touch for general consumers would be a better choice. They should do their always there keyboard phone 3rd

03-22-16 07:45 AM
    A PRIV style BlackBerry 10 phone would be best!

Z10
    baspeed likes this.
    03-22-16 07:48 AM
    All touch fans do not want to pay extra for a PKB that they will seldom use. The all touch is more solid, has better ergonomics and potentially more reliable.

The slider is for those who occasionally like to write longer documents on their phone. A slider is less boring than an all touch. The PKB seems to be ok but not exceptional.

The Vienna style device will likely have a better PKB and is for users who prefer not to type on glass. There is a trade off on screen size but this phone is for a person who is emailing and texting a lot.

Back in 2011, the Bold out sold the slider which out sold the all touch however the all touch was not as good as the other two.

All things considered, I would prefer an all touch. Time for a CB poll.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-16 09:05 AM
    Because you're like 0.1% of the world smartphone marketshare lol.

03-22-16 10:45 AM
    Because you're like 0.1% of the world smartphone marketshare lol.

Like your keyboard phone lol

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 04:39 AM
    Because there is no consumer demand for these phones.

via my Samsung Galaxy S5
    04-11-16 04:44 AM