Was wondering if the developers and engineers that develop a device like the Priv ever use it and experience it. A lot of Priv users and reviewers mention the the device gets hot, is laggy, camera has slow shutter speed, physical key board is cramped, etc. Seems to me if the BlackBerry folks used the device for awhile or turned the device over to some of these reviewers like cnet or techradar or whatever then BB could get the bugs worked out before it goes to market and ends up getting so-so reviews or bad user experiences. Also, I understand that the Priv is made by BlackBerry and their other Android devices are not. True or not true?

Posted via CB10
    04-07-17 08:14 PM
    Was wondering if the developers and engineers that develop a device like the Priv ever use it and experience it. A lot of Priv users and reviewers mention the the device gets hot, is laggy, camera has slow shutter speed, physical key board is cramped, etc. Seems to me if the BlackBerry folks used the device for awhile or turned the device over to some of these reviewers like cnet or techradar or whatever then BB could get the bugs worked out before it goes to market and ends up getting so-so reviews or bad user experiences. Also, I understand that the Priv is made by BlackBerry and their other Android devices are not. True or not true?

Posted via CB10
    The Priv was made by BB. Their newer Android devices are by another company with the KEYone an entirely different licensing scheme as is the other device in Indonesia.

I believe some employees do or did use the device. One of them which no longer with BB still uses the Priv. But a lot has changed for the better since it was introduced in the Fall of 2015. The camera app has been substantially upgraded although some may still not like it.
    04-07-17 08:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    Gee I like my priv, the physical and other attributes / dimensions works well for me, and I don't have any probs with it.

It's all rather subjective isn't it, the attributes are relative to the end user.
    04-07-17 08:53 PM
    Heavens 1 - yes it can be subjective but when I hear a lot of users with poor battery or the device getting hot it makes me wonder. I have a PP SE that I like that doesn't have those problems. I just ordered a Priv that I'll get in a couple of days that I'm really looking forward to but hope I get the same, or near the same, experience as with my PP SE. Hope the Marshmallow up date fixes a lot of bugs.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-17 09:09 PM
    It is the chip problem SD808 and the design of the priv 'slider' , make the device hot
    04-07-17 09:23 PM
    Heavens 1 - yes it can be subjective but when I hear a lot of users with poor battery or the device getting hot it makes me wonder. I have a PP SE that I like that doesn't have those problems. I just ordered a Priv that I'll get in a couple of days that I'm really looking forward to but hope I get the same, or near the same, experience as with my PP SE. Hope the Marshmallow up date fixes a lot of bugs.

Posted via CB10
    Mine's the 3 asia pac version, (im in Aus), and even in 43C temps during this summer my priv didn't show any heat stress. I did, lol, I was soo very hot some days I really wondered if my organs were frying, lol ....
    yvpan1 likes this.
    04-07-17 09:37 PM
    It's not the chipset,

my LG G4 and Priv do not get hot, I didn't have the Priv on 5.1.1 for very long, so I didn't experience the concerns that other members had.

I got the G4 when it was still running 5.1, that particular device didn't have issues either, but 6.0 really improved battery life.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-07-17 11:02 PM
    Goku - that's good to hear. I'll up date my Priv as soon as I get it. I realize it won't be another Passport SE that gets a couple days on a battery charge and it doesn't get hot. But I still am looking forward to having one. I've wanted a Priv since they launched but just now getting in a decent price range.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-17 11:15 PM
    Goku - that's good to hear. I'll up date my Priv as soon as I get it. I realize it won't be another Passport SE that gets a couple days on a battery charge and it doesn't get hot. But I still am looking forward to having one. I've wanted a Priv since they launched but just now getting in a decent price range.

Posted via CB10
    When you do update your Priv, during the process it may get warm but that is not abnormal. Be sure it is well charged beforehand and just let it "do its thing" . Set aside an hour. It sometimes takes a little time to "settle" after going through the process. You are fortunate that you will have an updated Priv from the start.
    04-07-17 11:30 PM
    When my priv is downloading the larger files, like the monthly security updates, I tend to lean it against something so there's space all around it, rather than leave it lying flat.

I also tend to lean it on its side when it's charging. I got into that practice because of the hot room temperature surfaces during our extraordinarily hot summer.

I leave it in its BlackBerry flip case, but lean the device.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-07-17 11:44 PM
    I'm thinking of moving from my very solid but aging Z30 to Priv. For those who have were there any issues with transfer of files, apps, and data?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-17 11:40 AM
    I'm thinking of moving from my very solid but aging Z30 to Priv. For those who have were there any issues with transfer of files, apps, and data?

Posted via CB10
    You can use Content Transfer on both devices. It can move some stuff between devices. I manually moved files like music, photos, documents etc. It moves Tasks and TEXT notes from Remember to the new Notes (not great app) and the Tasks app. If you establish or had gmail, yahoo or outlook for Calendar, Contacts and email and reestablish those, they will repopulate. It only moves 3,500 TEXT/sms items. I don't fully recall how apps transferred and that was, again, done via the Gmail aspect. I had a Samsung Tab and apps from there were offered to be transferred to the Priv. I don't recall if any Z30-android apps were handled similarly. Obviously bb10 apps will not transfer or work.

There was a bit of a learning curve but it was not too terrible. And it opens an entire world of new apps.
    04-08-17 11:58 AM
    My priv gave me the " your phone is taking steps to cool itself down" message this week. First time I've had it happen to me tbh
    04-08-17 01:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    My experience with the priv is that it gets very hot, extreme lag which means I have to turn it off and back on, which cures it temporarily..

It's a huge shame because it has such fantastic potential but the heat and lag shouldn't be occurring on any phone, not least a phone with a price tag of the Priv.

It puts me off a KEYone because I don't want to get my 3rd/4th BlackBerry android and find it laggy as time goes on.
    04-08-17 01:05 PM
    My priv gave me the " your phone is taking steps to cool itself down" message this week. First time I've had it happen to me tbh
    I am curious, what type of activity or activities were you doing on it? The last time I remember the "your phone is taking steps to cool itself down" message was several months ago when I was on a road trip. As a passenger, I was tasked with checking the route ahead and was charging my Priv at the same time. We were in an area with poor T-Mobile service but on a major freeway. I kept getting a traffic warning that the freeway was shut down about 2 hours ahead. No one believed it in the car so I kept checking and searching for info. Sure enough, as it turned out, there had been a major wreck up ahead. It was almost as if my Priv got upset that no one believed what it was trying to tell us. Of note: the Google maps app can drain battery and before I got marshmallow it would cause my Priv to get quite warm. It is better with marshmallow.
    04-08-17 01:32 PM
    I was playing clash of clans (about 5 minutes worth) after browsing for about half an hour. I was on 4g as I'm away on holiday. I'm normally always connected to wifi though. It didn't impress me
    04-08-17 01:39 PM
    Forgot to say, wifi was turned off as well as location but Bluetooth and nfc is always on because of my smart watch and sometimes paying for goods with my phone
    04-08-17 01:41 PM
    My experience with the priv is that it gets very hot, extreme lag which means I have to turn it off and back on, which cures it temporarily..

It's a huge shame because it has such fantastic potential but the heat and lag shouldn't be occurring on any phone, not least a phone with a price tag of the Priv.

It puts me off a KEYone because I don't want to get my 3rd/4th BlackBerry android and find it laggy as time goes on.
    Clearing the device cache usually sorts out lag, do you do check your cache regularly?
    04-08-17 01:52 PM
    Clearing the device cache usually sorts out lag, do you do check your cache regularly?
    I do yes. I clear it daily.
    04-08-17 03:16 PM
    When you do update your Priv, during the process it may get warm but that is not abnormal. Be sure it is well charged beforehand and just let it "do its thing" . Set aside an hour. It sometimes takes a little time to "settle" after going through the process. You are fortunate that you will have an updated Priv from the start.
    I can attest to this myself. The only times when my Priv got warm or hot to the touch was during updates. Other than that, no issues at all.
    04-08-17 10:22 PM
    You can use Content Transfer on both devices. It can move some stuff between devices. I manually moved files like music, photos, documents etc. It moves Tasks and TEXT notes from Remember to the new Notes (not great app) and the Tasks app. If you establish or had gmail, yahoo or outlook for Calendar, Contacts and email and reestablish those, they will repopulate. It only moves 3,500 TEXT/sms items. I don't fully recall how apps transferred and that was, again, done via the Gmail aspect. I had a Samsung Tab and apps from there were offered to be transferred to the Priv. I don't recall if any Z30-android apps were handled similarly. Obviously bb10 apps will not transfer or work.

There was a bit of a learning curve but it was not too terrible. And it opens an entire world of new apps.
    Thanks and appreciate the feedback.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 12:29 AM
    I do yes. I clear it daily.
    Actually clearing daily cache heard is not a good idea. More like once a month more or less. And if experiencing further lag clear the app data also. Although this last one re data will revert your apps to status when you first installed.

Posted via CB10
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-09-17 01:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Heat is a major design issue in basically all mobile devices. Battery use creates heat, cpu use creates heat, and charging creates heat, and passive cooling isn't very effective in that amount of space without something like liquid cooling. This is how runaway thermal venting also happens, like with the samsungs exploding.

Android throttles the cpu responsively, with various conservative or aggressive levels depending on settings. It basically never just the cpu just open up (well it does, it just tries to bring it back down as much as software will allow). The firmware from the manufacturer also throttles cpu at a fixed rate. Both of these are often used as a technique to either address heat issues or battery live. Also sometimes software, or drivers can be poorly written and add to drain.

So, usually overheating problems are sorted with software updates. But this is, generally speaking, a side effect of people wanting more power in smaller packages (the priv most likely suffers here because of the slider design, less space for internals)

Basically its physics versus peoples expectations.

Liquid cooling is coming to tablets, but I am not sure its practical for phones. Lower TDP chips well help in the long run, but to meet consumer demands, manufacturers are always pushing the edge of whats physically possible for the space.

The quickest way to heat up most mobile devices is gaming. But other things with high battery drain may also cause it - like high network activity in weak signal zones, especially 4g, or using your phone as a hotspot.

It's one of the reasons why lithium battery manufacturers recommend not loading battery drain or device use on top of charging. I know we are all guilty of this, but its a good reason at least to avoid heavy use (like gaming), while charging.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 04-09-17 at 05:29 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-09-17 05:16 AM
    Heat is also why qualcomms snapdragons and other processors are all quad core, hexacore, octocore etc. Its not actually the optimal way of doing cpu's speed wise, to have increasingly more cores. But cores can be added more easily because it distributes the heat, rather than increasing the single core clock speed. That's why you'll find phones with octocore, but not so many tablets raw clock speed is the more important performance metric, because additional cores are almost always underutilised by software.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-09-17 05:18 AM
    TLDR: overheating is probably fixed.
    04-09-17 05:23 AM
27 12