If I was offered a Z30 upgrade that ran Android but had basically the same hub, security, calendar and email options as BB10 along with Google Play, I would be happy.
    10-21-15 04:46 PM
    Because making BB10 devices is no longer profitable for BlackBerry. By switching to Android OS, BlackBerry is hoping to make enough money to stay in the hardware business. Their main focus now is software subscriptions and services for business and enterprise, which they are hoping the Priv will support.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-21-15 04:57 PM
    I think OP means why can't BB10 be like TouchWiz or whatever HTC is running (can't recall them name). In other words BlackBerry's custom ROM for Android.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 05:27 PM
    I think OP means why can't BB10 be like TouchWiz or whatever HTC is running (can't recall them name). In other words BlackBerry's custom ROM for Android.

Posted via CB10
    Priv IS already running a custom ROM made by BlackBerry. It just so happens most of the UI look and feel wasn't changed much from default Google AOSP.

Anything not running un-modified AOSP or Nexus is considered "custom". What he really meant is that why didn't BlackBerry go further with the customizations and put a BB10 like skin/launcher.
    Marwan Husseini likes this.
    10-21-15 05:36 PM
    Correct. If you offered me a Z50 with the hub unchanged and Google. Play Services, I am sold.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 05:44 PM
    If I was offered a Z30 upgrade that ran Android but had basically the same hub, security, calendar and email options as BB10 along with Google Play, I would be happy.
    That's basically what the Priv is.... even the recent apps button views them as active frames.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-21-15 06:24 PM
    I don't need a physical keyboard and I would destroy a slider. But I am willing to try an all touch device if it feels and looks like a BlackBerry. I have no complaints about my Z30 which is why I reference a possible Z50.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 06:45 PM
    I don't need a physical keyboard and I would destroy a slider. But I am willing to try an all touch device if it feels and looks like a BlackBerry. I have no complaints about my Z30 which is why I reference a possible Z50.

Posted via CB10
    Google will let BB customize the OS in the Priv somewhat to bring some distinctive BB features to Android like the Hub but its not going to let them change the UI to all gestures. You may have seen the Google ad campaign 'Be together not the same'. What that means for Priv is that Android users have to have a basic level of comfort and familiarity with the BB tweaked version of Android, it can't be totally different: thus having the same soft buttons for example.
    10-21-15 07:04 PM
    I hate to fuel the fire on this but I did have a discussion about this shortly today.... I got nothing more than its being looked at.

In Squircle I Trust
    10-21-15 07:17 PM
    Priv IS already running a custom ROM made by BlackBerry. It just so happens most of the UI look and feel wasn't changed much from default Google AOSP.

Anything not running un-modified AOSP or Nexus is considered "custom". What he really meant is that why didn't BlackBerry go further with the customizations and put a BB10 like skin/launcher.
    Okay that's what I meant, Custom ROM was the wrong way to describe it. Wish they had gone with a skin/launcher too, but not a deal breaker for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 07:20 PM
    I hate to fuel the fire on this but I did have a discussion about this shortly today.... I got nothing more than its being looked at.

In Squircle I Trust
    How was your date with the Priv?

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 07:21 PM