The big issue if you buy from a carrier is you have wait for a carrier approved is update
    Correct me if I am wrong please. Even if you get an unlocked phone you still have to activate it through a carrier so, would you not have to deal with the update strategy of the carrier that you choose anyway?
    11-04-15 03:55 PM
    correct me if i am wrong please. Even if you get an unlocked phone you still have to activate it through a carrier so, would you not have to deal with the update strategy of the carrier that you choose anyway?
    I can only speak for myself. I'm with ATT I have a Z10 on contract till May and a unlocked Classic SQC100-2 that was bought on Amazon. I download the latest leaks on both.

Yes it is scary the first time but after that it is a breeze.

pin 2cof829a
    11-04-15 03:57 PM
    no

pin 2cof829a
    Thanks!
    11-04-15 03:59 PM
    I'd suggest NOT to buy from a carrier. Sure it may cost "less" but you're then tied to them and your devise is locked. You can request for your device to be unlocked but after 12-15months I believe (don't hold me to the exact date) + $50.00 (I remember Bell would charge their customers $100.00 for it)

Also, someone people say if you do have a issue you could go back to the carrier and they'd assist...but there may not be much help as most (from my experience in the industry) won't bother - as there's stiff competition and 3rd parties who can facilitate.

This is again, IMO
    The device being locked is of no concern for me. That would be a case by case issue. Not everyone travels around to the point where they would need an unlocked phone and carry multiple SIM cards with them.

But I do realize that some do.

And, while I don't have any issues with AT&T generally, I personally wouldn't bother them with any problems I have with the phone. I've been trouble-shooting and loading leaked and other carrier OSs on my BlackBerry phones since 2007.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 04:37 PM
    I can only speak for myself. I'm with ATT I have a Z10 on contract till May and a unlocked Classic SQC100-2 that was bought on Amazon. I download the latest leaks on both.

Yes it is scary the first time but after that it is a breeze.

pin 2cof829a
    This is what I do on my Z10 too. I never rely on AT&T to update the OS. Don't need too. The phone being locked or unlocked has no effect on the ability to load an OS (mine is locked to AT&T).

All that it effects is what is made available to you if you check for OS updates OTA or through Link. In those cases, you are only given whatever OS build the carrier has approved at that point.

But, again, you don't have to live with just that.

The question is - how would BlackBerry now handle a wholesale reloading of the Android OS should you want too. In BBOS, you had the Loader file that you ran on the PC and it loaded the OS on the phone. With BB10, it's an autoloader that runs from the command line. Now with Android, will they still have a method of distribution beyond OTA and the carriers?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 04:48 PM
    Don't think so never have in the past. Just load the leaked OS. I have a locked Z10 I update.

There is information on how they are handling security update on a monthly basis. I "think" it will be available direct and/or through the carrier.

PIN 2COF829A
    Its not going to work like BB10 leaked OS.

Correct me if I am wrong please. Even if you get an unlocked phone you still have to activate it through a carrier so, would you not have to deal with the update strategy of the carrier that you choose anyway?
    No you wouldn't because factory unlocked phones are not tied to carriers no matter which carrier you use.
    B_Rad BurnZ likes this.
    11-04-15 04:50 PM
    No you wouldn't because factory unlocked phones are not tied to carriers no matter which carrier you use.[/QUOTE]

Now, how about getting the phone from a carrier and than unlocking it? How will this effect updates. I have to admit I am a noob when it comes to this topic. This is the first time I will be buying a device outright and not on contract. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-04-15 05:04 PM
    Now, how about getting the phone from a carrier and than unlocking it? How will this effect updates. I have to admit I am a noob when it comes to this topic. This is the first time I will be buying a device outright and not on contract. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    That's a bit of a curiosity. Older BBOS phones - the ones running OS 7 and earlier, worked a certain way, but there's some question as to how the BB10 phones work.

Anyway, it's like this for the older BBOS phones... a carrier locked phone is also "branded" to that carrier - a "vendor ID" was hardwired into the phone and even if it's unlocked, the vendor code was still there (as was the carrier splash screen when booting up - no way around that either). But, if it's unlocked after the fact, any other carrier's SIM could be used with no problem. Besides using another carrier, you also had the opportunity to have access to that carrier's "official" OS. This was a way that many BBOS phone users would install another carrier's OS if it was newer than the one offered by the previous carrier. For example, in the U.S. on, say, AT&T, people would (usually) pay to have their phone unlocked, buy a Rogers SIM card from someone in Canada off of eBay, even if if was inactive, install it in their now unlocked AT&T phone, and then be able to OTA update to the Rogers OS over wi-fi, or get it through the Desktop Manager.

Thing is, people did this, paid money, and all of that was never really necessary. All you needed to do was download a carrier's OS matching your phone model (they were all model specific) through that carrier's portal on the BlackBerry site, delete the "vendor.xml" file (this is what checks against the vendor ID) after installing the loader on the PC, and it would install with no problem - locked or not.

Now, for BB10 phones? I don't know. I've seen conflicting info on this. I do not know if vendor IDs are still used in them. I do know that the Z10 has two sub-models for the main STL100-3 model used by AT&T and T-Mobile. The RFF91LW is used by AT&T and the RFK121LW is used by all other N.A. GSM carriers with extra HSPA/UMTS bands - including the factory unlocked model. Thing is, when you unlock the RFF91LW, the extra bands open up basically making it the RFK121LW.

So, does unlocking an AT&T Z10 make it act as if it's a factory unlocked phone free and clear of any carrier? I don't know. But you would still have access to the OS of whatever carrier's SIM card was installed. That part does still work the same as the old BBOS phones. I don't know if direct access to BlackBerry's latest OS regardless of what SIM is in it is available when unlocked after the fact.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    11-04-15 05:53 PM
    Unlocking isn't necessarily "hard". You just need the right code. But, your carrier won't give it to you until you fulfill the requirements of your service terms. On contract, you would have to finish out the full 2 years (or whatever the contract terms were). Then the carrier would give you the unlock code if you asked. Some Canadian carriers want to charge you for unlocking even if you're out of contract. You can go outside your carrier to phone unlock services, but they almost always charge a fee - usually in the $50 range, depending.
    Except I am more interested in factory-unlocked devices, which (as you say) you can't ever have if you buy it from a carrier. Even if you have it SIM-unlocked, you won't get updates direct from BlackBerry.

As per Crackberry's news item today, I'd be concerned about a Carrier's buy-in to the monthly security updates.
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-det...curity-updates

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    11-04-15 05:56 PM
    I'd suggest NOT to buy from a carrier. Sure it may cost "less" but you're then tied to them and your devise is locked. You can request for your device to be unlocked but after 12-15months I believe (don't hold me to the exact date) + $50.00 (I remember Bell would charge their customers $100.00 for it)
    This is no longer true. They have to unlock it after 90 days, but if you have been a loyal customer, and travel a lot they will usually make exceptions.

In my case where I only save $5 a month on my plan for BYOD, I would actually lose money by buying outright.
    An iPhone6s is $915 outright, or $400 on contract. So over 2 years:

iPhone 6s unlocked is $900 from apple
    $900 + 24x$55 = $2260.

On contract
    $400 + 24x$60 = $1840

So I would actually end up paying $420 more by going off contract!

No what if I want to cancel my contract after a month and move to wind?
    Off Contract:
    $900 + 6x$55 = $1230.

On Contract I would still have to pay 18 months of device balance of $515 ($915-$400). Device balance reduces by $21.46 ($515/24) each month. So after 6 months, $686.25 owing still, plus I would have to pay the $35 unlock fee.
    $400 + $386.25 + 6x$60 + $35 = $1181.25

So even after only 6 months, and paying the unlock fee, I would still come out ahead by going on contract.

The only way this changes is if you have an old grandfathered contract which is significantly cheaper than what the carrier currently offers.

So it is only the updates that are the issues, and if you carrier sticks you with bloatware.

But hey, everyone loves a good conspiricy theory...
    Mr4aces and JeromeM like this.
    11-04-15 06:01 PM
    Whether people buy through a carrier or direct from shopBB is a matter of choice. What bothers me is people who go into a carrier showroom to kick the tyres, with no intention of buying from the carrier, taking advantage of the salesman's situation, wasting his time, and then cynically ordering elsewhere. Not cool.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-04-15 06:35 PM
    Whether people buy through a carrier or direct from shopBB is a matter of choice. What bothers me is people who go into a carrier showroom to kick the tyres, with no intention of buying from the carrier, taking advantage of the salesman's situation, wasting his time, and then cynically ordering elsewhere. Not cool.
    You have to buy their service anyway though, and that's where they really make their money.

11-04-15 06:37 PM
    You have to buy their service anyway though, and that's where they really make their money.

And does said salesman gain commission/brownie points after the event?
    11-04-15 06:44 PM
    And does said salesman gain commission/brownie points after the event?
    Goes with the job I suppose. Salesman also make money off up-selling too. It works both ways.

11-04-15 07:02 PM
    I'm buying my priv out right from AT&T and I live in Bermuda I'm currently on Digicel (GSM), would it be unlocked and can i use it in Bermuda .

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-04-15 07:06 PM
    For me, I have to pay for the phone myself but my company gives me up to $150 a month for my cell plan. So I don't care which carrier I'm with, even if the others $10 a month less I don't care. I still owe $325 from having upgraded only last Dec but called and worked out a deal for them to take 50% off of this So, going with the Carrier I'll spend $162.5 + $399 so $562 total. Certainly not cheap but better than $800
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-04-15 07:11 PM
    Play with snakes...you will get bitten!!! I buy direct from Blackberry unlock no contract. I like to be free as my guy Morpheus from the Matrix would say. Carriers are in business to make money...some how some way you will pay extra (Price, taxes, fees) to the carrier. At&t told me here in the USA that the phone is $740.00 out of contract. (Blackberry-$699.00) and monthly bill would be over $100.00 per month after all fees were added. I brought my Z30 unlock from BB and I am on At&t now for $60.00 unlimited. Heck, I would save money and wait before I go in a contract again.
    11-04-15 08:01 PM
    I'm getting mixed responses in regards to updates. Is it true that if you have a unlocked device from bb you will get updates directly from blackberry rather than waiting for the carrier ?
    11-04-15 08:23 PM
    I'm getting mixed responses in regards to updates. Is it true that if you have a unlocked device from bb you will get updates directly from blackberry rather than waiting for the carrier ?
    Yes. See Crackberry news today. Only Carriers that "agree to participate AND agree to rapid approval of updates" (whatever that means) will enjoy the same updates as factory-unlocked devices.

"Android Monthly Security Updates: BlackBerry will release these monthly updates to users that have purchased PRIV through shopblackberry.com and to PRIV resellers (carriers and other authorized dealers) that have agreed to participate in our regular monthly update program and facilitate rapid approval of our monthly updates for over-the-air (OTA) to subscribers."

11-04-15 08:26 PM
    Because of the 7 evil red words at the bottom right:
    Attachment 378950

Posted via CB10
    Those CDMA carriers may not even offer it. Verizon never did add the passport.

I've been on Verizon since before there was a Verizon but hate being stuck on that carrier even when I pay full price on handsets.
    11-04-15 08:27 PM
    I think this is always true. Only if you buy your phone from the carrier will you get your updates from the carrier. The article also says that for small security fixes, BB may bypass the carrier.
    11-04-15 08:28 PM
    Yes. See Crackberry news today.

"Android Monthly Security Updates: BlackBerry will release these monthly updates to users that have purchased PRIV through shopblackberry.com and to PRIV resellers (carriers and other authorized dealers) that have agreed to participate in our regular monthly update program and facilitate rapid approval of our monthly updates for over-the-air (OTA) to subscribers."

Ah ok cool. These monthly security updates may be different than an update going from lollipop to marshmallow for example. But it's great to see and I'll definitely keep my unlocked device over my Rogers device as I've ordered one of each
    11-04-15 08:30 PM
    Ah ok cool. These monthly security updates may be different than an update going from lollipop to marshmallow for example. But it's great to see and I'll definitely keep my unlocked device over my Rogers device as I've ordered one of each
    That's huge for people that really care about security.
    11-04-15 08:31 PM
    If you buy your phone outright, they must allow you to unlock it upon your request at ANY time.

If you buy it on a contract , you have to wait 90 days.

This is the law in canada via found though crtc
    168. In light of the above, the Commission finds that a WSP that provides a locked device to a customer as part of a wireless service contract must, (i) if the device is subsidized, unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the WSP, no later than 90 calendar days after the contract start date; and (ii) if the device is unsubsidized, unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at the rate specified by the WSP at any time during the contract. The rate for the WSP’s unlocking service must be clearly stated in the written contract and the Critical Information Summary.
    11-04-15 08:32 PM
    Question about this pricing. I moved to AT&T and never signed a contract. I bought my own phones over from Verizon unlocked. Does the new two year agreement work for me as an existing customer or not?

Posted via CB10
    I never heard of this being possible--to use a CDMA device on GSM network.
    11-04-15 08:32 PM
81 1234