I'm just curious as to why anyone would purchase a Priv from a carrier instead of directly through BlackBerry. Especially with the focus on security and monthly updates that carriers probably won't provide (at least in a timely manner), I'm wondering what the benefit would be to buying from a carrier and dealing with their bloatware and lack of updates. I thought about the financing aspect, but there are plenty of third party mobile phone financing companies to choose from, so you don't have to use a carrier for that.

I know when I bought my Xperia Z3, the unlocked version from Sony didn't support Band 12 so I had to buy from T-Mobile, and I've regretted it ever since as mine will never be updated to Marshmallow. So I'm wondering if there are other similar reasons to go to a carrier instead of directly through BlackBerry.
    11-04-15 11:50 AM
    I have a good relationship with my carrier outlet. They will transfer everything over for me, and any issue with hardware, they will send it off, free of charge, and give me a loaner. No bloatware, $100 cheaper, more rapid delivery. No brainer actually.
    11-04-15 11:55 AM
    I remember reading something similar about how if you don't buy from the carrier, you may be missing some bands. I didn't know how much truth was behind this, but based on your Xperia purchase, I guess there is some. I'm holding off until I hear when T-Mobile is going to be releasing it. I'll compare the specs, and if they are the same, i'll probably just buy direct from BlackBerry so that I can get quicker updates.
    cdavisunlimited likes this.
    11-04-15 11:56 AM
    I have a good relationship with my carrier outlet. They will transfer everything over for me, and any issue with hardware, they will send it off, free of charge, and give me a loaner. No bloatware, $100 cheaper, more rapid delivery. No brainer actually.
    Yeah if you can get phones like that then it definitely makes sense. I hate dealing with the bloatware and lack of updates that usually come with carrier phones, so any way to avoid that is the way to go.
    11-04-15 11:59 AM
    Because of the 7 evil red words at the bottom right:
    Why buy from a Carrier?-img_20151104_130637.png

Posted via CB10
    jmaxim917, FF22 and fkornre like this.
    11-04-15 12:07 PM
    The only advantage to buying from a carrier is 0% financing which is essentially free money from $699 at your banks interest rate . Even at that I don't think the pro's outweigh the con's . Buying carrier free especially on the android platform is the way to go
    11-04-15 12:15 PM
    Telus has very little bloat ware and are fairly quick at issuing updates. I have gotten pretty good loyalty rewards from them. It's also simplicity for me. They didn't really finance a device anymore. But it does cut down the upfront cost by half or better for this device. That would help me out a lot

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 12:21 PM
    The advantages for me are:
    Pricing
    Handset protection
    Trade in program
    Wifi calling

Not sure if those are enough to make me wait for the carrier release, but we will see

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 12:30 PM
    Not having to go through Digital River

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 12:35 PM
    Pricing is a benefit from going through a carrier. Other than that, I don't see much else. Buying unlocked device allows you to change to a different carrier that supports the device in the future.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-04-15 01:15 PM
    I remember reading something similar about how if you don't buy from the carrier, you may be missing some bands. I didn't know how much truth was behind this, but based on your Xperia purchase, I guess there is some. I'm holding off until I hear when T-Mobile is going to be releasing it. I'll compare the specs, and if they are the same, i'll probably just buy direct from BlackBerry so that I can get quicker updates.
    You may wanna double check on TMobile carrying the Priv. I saw a tweet from them today CSR rep that stated that they will NOT be carrying the Priv BUT the Priv will be able to work on the TMobile network.

Posted with my Super happy fun-time Q5
    11-04-15 01:23 PM
    Pricing is a benefit from going through a carrier. Other than that, I don't see much else. Buying unlocked device allows you to change to a different carrier that supports the device in the future.

How hard are these types of phones to unlock and basically turn into an "unlocked" model? I know on CDMA networks it was as simple as knowing what you were doing in CDMA workshop, but I know nothing about GSM networks.
    11-04-15 01:28 PM
    Availability on launch day only reason for me, but I am impatient.
    cdavisunlimited likes this.
    11-04-15 01:28 PM
    I'm going to go through my carrier because I don't have an extra 700 bucks lying around for me to spend. Period.

Can't get around that.

I'm going to wait on the refurbished - or, as AT&T now calls them: "Certified, Like New" - devices to come through in a few months. My current Z10 was a refurb that was only 40 bucks to get back in July of 2013. Before that was a refurbished Torch 9800 for a whopping 1 cent that lasted me for 2 and half years.

There's just no need to spend that kind of money on a phone if you don't have to.

Besides, I don't travel around to the point that makes an unlocked phone a requirement. AT&T is everywhere I go.
    jmaxim917 likes this.
    11-04-15 01:33 PM
    Not having to go through Digital River

Posted via CB10
    +1000

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 01:45 PM
    How hard are these types of phones to unlock and basically turn into an "unlocked" model? I know on CDMA networks it was as simple as knowing what you were doing in CDMA workshop, but I know nothing about GSM networks.
    Unlocking isn't necessarily "hard". You just need the right code. But, your carrier won't give it to you until you fulfill the requirements of your service terms. On contract, you would have to finish out the full 2 years (or whatever the contract terms were). Then the carrier would give you the unlock code if you asked. Some Canadian carriers want to charge you for unlocking even if you're out of contract. You can go outside your carrier to phone unlock services, but they almost always charge a fee - usually in the $50 range, depending.

Really old BlackBerry phones can be unlocked through some such services for free. The only thing is that you may have to wait a few days after contacting them. I did that before I sold my old Torch 9800. I found a free unlock service site where I plugged in my info, and 3 days later, I got an email with the unlock code. Worked perfectly. It was still an AT&T "branded" phone - can't do anything about that - but it was unlocked and usable anywhere.

As for CDMA phones... that's a different animal. And, as I understand it, not easy at all as current CDMA phones are hardware locked. Sprint, for example, flat out won't allow non-Sprint phones on their network.
    11-04-15 01:48 PM
    I am getting it through the carrier because they are giving me a $300 bill credit for signing up a new line. And also throwing in device protection for free. So essentially I'm paying a lot less for the phone.

11-04-15 02:02 PM
    Question about this pricing. I moved to AT&T and never signed a contract. I bought my own phones over from Verizon unlocked. Does the new two year agreement work for me as an existing customer or not?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by twelvezero8; 11-04-15 at 03:04 PM.
    11-04-15 02:09 PM
    I'd suggest NOT to buy from a carrier. Sure it may cost "less" but you're then tied to them and your devise is locked. You can request for your device to be unlocked but after 12-15months I believe (don't hold me to the exact date) + $50.00 (I remember Bell would charge their customers $100.00 for it)

Also, someone people say if you do have a issue you could go back to the carrier and they'd assist...but there may not be much help as most (from my experience in the industry) won't bother - as there's stiff competition and 3rd parties who can facilitate.

This is again, IMO
    11-04-15 03:01 PM
    I am getting it through the carrier because they are giving me a $300 bill credit for signing up a new line. And also throwing in device protection for free. So essentially I'm paying a lot less for the phone.

Nothing is free mon frere, nothing.
    11-04-15 03:02 PM
    Financing and also that you have the advantage to touch before you buy

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 03:06 PM
    Nothing is free mon frere, nothing.
    No nothing is free but still a good credit regardless. And I will get an $11 monthly credit for the device protection. I needed a new line anyways and they left the price of the plan the same if i took a device it not. So for me it was a pretty good deal.
    11-04-15 03:06 PM
    I'm going to go through my carrier because I don't have an extra 700 bucks lying around for me to spend. Period.

Can't get around that.

I'm going to wait on the refurbished - or, as AT&T now calls them: "Certified, Like New" - devices to come through in a few months. My current Z10 was a refurb that was only 40 bucks to get back in July of 2013. Before that was a refurbished Torch 9800 for a whopping 1 cent that lasted me for 2 and half years.

There's just no need to spend that kind of money on a phone if you don't have to.

Besides, I don't travel around to the point that makes an unlocked phone a requirement. AT&T is everywhere I go.
    Costing me $609 through ATT if I pay the $249 down.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1045982

PIN 2COF829A
    11-04-15 03:37 PM
    The big issue if you buy from a carrier is you have wait for a carrier approved is update
    11-04-15 03:51 PM
    The big issue if you buy from a carrier is you have wait for a carrier approved is update
    Don't think so never have in the past. Just load the leaked OS. I have a locked Z10 I update.

There is information on how they are handling security update on a monthly basis. I "think" it will be available direct and/or through the carrier.

PIN 2COF829A
    11-04-15 03:54 PM
81 123 ...