A few days ago, I took delivery of a Volkswagen GTI. It comes with Android Auto built in.

I have to say that while it is still a little buggy, it is better than any other infotainment experience that I have used in a car.

The voice controls are excellent. It almost always understands me. I can ask for a specific song or artist. I can ask about the weather or a sports song or other things. It's very easy to use.

Google maps is integrated and is better than any automaker provided GPS. I prefer Waze. Waze integration is coming. Waze still works but it doesn't show in the screen, so just turn by turn for now.

The problems is that it is still betaish. Many people have connection issues where they have trouble pairing with their phone. Also, if your Internet connection isn't great, searches sometimes spaz out.

Still, improvements seem to be coming at a steady clip.

Here is a Google link to what you can do with Android Auto. https://support.google.com/androidauto/?hl=en#6140614

Anyone else using it with their Priv?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-21-16 07:19 AM
    Ever since its announcement, I've been waiting...and waiting...and waiting...but alas, I have an old '97 Toyota RAV4.
    01-21-16 11:08 AM
    Aftermarket head units now have Android Auto.

I understand that some announced at CES have a reasonable price and good features.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ESIcLRz...end-CP100.html

Last edited by lawguyman; 01-21-16 at 12:30 PM.
    Jonneh likes this.
    01-21-16 12:17 PM
    Is the Volkswagen GTI dash unit QNX and if so, are you are bypassing it in favor of Google services?
    01-21-16 12:44 PM
    The unit in the VW is a QNX unit.

Both Android Auto and Apple Carplay are apps that run on top of QNX.

They both work like BlackBerry Blend. The phone is the server and the head unit is the client.

I wonder if these are really not actually manifestations of Blend in a cross Platform application. It works the same way.

01-21-16 12:51 PM
    I don't use Android Auto, but I do drive a Volkswagen. I have a 2013 Beetle with the 2.0 liter turbocharged engine (recently rebadged as the R-Line trim). You might call it a GTI that looks like a Beetle.

I hope you enjoy your GTI as much as I enjoy my Beetle. Android Auto sounds great, but my car is still fairly new, so there's no point in me trading it in to get the new head unit.

Posted via the BlackBerry slider
    01-21-16 01:17 PM
    I do like the car. It's fun to drive. More fun than I expected, actually.

01-21-16 01:21 PM
    I have a 2016 Golf R, which I love. Same basic QNX-based headunit as lawguyman, but the 8" Discover Pro version available in Canada. Unfortunately, the hardware/software revision I am at does not work at all with the Priv (as confirmed by BlackBerry Tier 3 tech support). BlackBerry blames VW, but acknowledge that an update from their side could also fix the problem. In the meantime, no Android Auto for me.

How ironic than a QNX system has problems connecting to a BlackBerry. Although in fairness, the VW system is has problems connecting to other phones as well. I agree with the Op that the whole thing has a bit of a "beta" feel to it.

It appears from various posts in various forums that connectivity issues disappear with Marshmallow. Can't wait for that update for a number of reasons.
    01-22-16 12:19 PM
    I have a 2016 Golf R, which I love. Same basic QNX-based headunit as lawguyman, but the 8" Discover Pro version available in Canada. Unfortunately, the hardware/software revision I am at does not work at all with the Priv (as confirmed by BlackBerry Tier 3 tech support). BlackBerry blames VW, but acknowledge that an update from their side could also fix the problem. In the meantime, no Android Auto for me.

How ironic than a QNX system has problems connecting to a BlackBerry. Although in fairness, the VW system is has problems connecting to other phones as well. I agree with the Op that the whole thing has a bit of a "beta" feel to it.

It appears from various posts in various forums that connectivity issues disappear with Marshmallow. Can't wait for that update for a number of reasons.
    Android Auto app updates seem to come on a monthly basis. I hope that the next update fixes your problem. There are too many connectivity issues for sure. I have to close all other apps or else I can't connect. It should be plug and play but its not right now.
    01-23-16 07:06 AM
    Any luck connecting to your Golf R via Android auto? I was hoping the Marshmallow update would solve this but not so far (2016 Golf R w/ 8" head unit) ...

05-04-16 11:21 PM
    I was also hoping that the update will work with the Q7. I am sure is the same software problem as in your golf.
    i Will keep on trying and post here if i have any news

Any luck connecting to your Golf R via Android auto? I was hoping the Marshmallow update would solve this but not so far (2016 Golf R w/ 8" head unit) ...

05-05-16 02:17 PM