10-20-15 09:56 AM
354 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    I really can't see why this is so far fetched as it is so easy to implement. The experience is a matter of the software and that can be swapped in the existing hardware. As I see it the strategy that can work is to have the mass push of the Android version through retail stores, seeing that there are really only 2 OS's that are dominant and getting full retail support, and offer the BB10 version through direct purchase via Crackberry or BlackBerry themselves. The strategy here is to not only have a hit product but to get the name BlackBerry in many more hands and in doing so change the unfortunate perception of a very good company with very well designed and powerful system. The Android version will attract the huge Android audience that would otherwise never consider BlackBerry and offer them some of the BB10 experience. With a privately sold version having the BB10 OS the two can exist simultaneously and through comparative interaction of people with both systems a natural rivalry will allow BB10 OS to slowly be appreciated for its uniqueness. The people who were strict Android who are now holding a Priv may now seek the full BB10 experience and go all in. This could work.
    09-29-15 10:09 AM
    Are you for real?

I fired up my Z10 just to test out this nonsensical theory and it is exactly that; nonsensical.

I have, side by side, my Z10 and my S5. I go to the home screen of the CrackBerry app on both phones. As the app loads I flick my thumb up on each hand, S5 in the left, Z10 in the right. The news posts on the S5 scroll without hesitation. The articles on the Z10? They take ~5 seconds just to load, let alone be so "fluid".

I get that you have a hate on for Android, but don't conjure up what isn't true. Each handset maker has its pros and cons but I fail to see how people can believe that Samsung and Apple make bad phones yet sell millions of them (let's not pretend like Apple didn't just sell nearly as many phones in 3 days than BlackBerry has since 2013).

Believe me, I love BlackBerry, but this 'bury my head in the sand' mentality is exactly why they are where they are. They have great ideas and their heart is in the right place but their hardware isn't even close to Apple or Samsung and to say that it is when it clearly is not is nothing short of ridiculous.

~TheRealFixxxer
    Hey man, this is crackberry. Where every single device running bb10 is smooth as butter, the camera on any device running bb10 is superior to even dslr cameras and bb10 lacks apps because apps are for people who like to waste their time.

At least that's what I've gathered from posting on this site the past month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    09-29-15 10:14 AM
    I'm surprised people are still confused about this topic. The thread's pretty long by now; haven't read everything, maybe some of this has been said before, so I'll try to sum up as brief as possible:

- First, Chen never said there'll be an OS option for the Priv. Here's what he said: "[...] the new device will provide a choice in OS to new and existing customers [...]" -- how do you conclude from this that the OS choice is on the device itself? Clearly, he means: The device introduces an OS choice to customers in the sense that customers now have a choice between BB10 devices (e.g. Passport etc.) and Android BB devices (i.e. the Priv).

- Second, it makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER from a business perspective to offer the Priv in optional BB10 and Android flavours. The idea behind the Priv is to make it appealing for as many potential customers as possible. The past couple of years have clearly proven that BB10 OS is not the way to reach this goal. That's very unfortunate (I love BB10, it's clearly the best OS in the market in terms of productivity), but BB10 simply has zero mainstream appeal -- this is a very well established fact; no one will seriously claim the contrary. You can have long discussions about the reason(s), but that's another topic. So now Chen is trying "full android". Offering a BB10 OS option for the Priv would render this "full andoird" strategy a half-assed effort. And here is why: Let's say an Android or iOS user (who may even already be intrigued by the Priv) spots a BB10 version of the device "in the wild". They'll immediately drop the idea of buying a Priv. Don't even try to explain that there are two versions of the device, it's just too complicated. People won't get it, people will turn away. It's gotta be SIMPLE if you want to sell to the mainstream!

...so, yeah, while Chen might sell more Privs to 'loyal BB fans' if he offered a BB10 OS version, he'll sell less Android versions to new customers if he offered two OS options on the device. Because offering two versions is just too confusing for people. If you have to explain to them that there are two versions, you have already lost them. Simply give them what they know, which is Android. Don't put complicated ideas in their head, and they may actually buy the sucker for a change!

So, business-wise, it's a pretty simple call to accept fewer sales to existing 'BB users' (who make up what, not even 1% of the smartphone market?) in favour of more device sales to 'current Android users' (who make up 80%+ of the market).
    kbz1960 and tlgem like this.
    09-29-15 10:15 AM
    Switching from a note 4 WoOo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Welcome to the darkside....
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    09-29-15 10:26 AM
    As soon as there are no more upgrades to BB10, it will be bye bye time and hello to sailfish or ubuntu
    jsmith00075 likes this.
    09-29-15 10:39 AM
    no BB10, no purchase from me. Should BB10 ever cease to be, I will look at all the options again, but for now: only BB10.

Priv with BB10? Now maybe, that could be nice. But I'm very happy with PPSE.
    jsmith00075 and Barbareren like this.
    09-29-15 10:47 AM
    No doubt i will come back to blackberry hardware with that news.
    09-29-15 10:49 AM
    Not trying to be rude or argumentative but can someone provide a link or something concrete to the statement that 'BlackBerry has confirmed there will be no BB10 Priv'?

Lastly, to help me decide whether my Z30 upgrade will be a SE Passport or Priv can someone confirm :
    The SE Passport will very soon not be able to run any Android Apps? I like having the Google Play Store on my Z30 and Ill miss having Sirius Radio App, Netflix and Instagram.

Ive been asking on Twitter and no none seems to be able to offer me any advice. I would appreciate factual advice, not opinionated advice. LOL

Thanks!
    Last edited by stacym75; 09-29-15 at 11:38 AM.
    09-29-15 11:15 AM
    How about optional Priv with OS 10.3.3, or even better, dual boot OS 10.3.3 and 'droid?
    I will get only with BB OS.
    09-29-15 11:57 AM
    I'll get two if the price is right!
    09-29-15 12:02 PM
    How about optional Priv with OS 10.3.3, or even better, dual boot OS 10.3.3 and 'droid?
    I will get only with BB OS.
    Guess you won't be getting one then.
    09-29-15 12:06 PM
    Each handset maker has its pros and cons but I fail to see how people can believe that Samsung and Apple make bad phones yet sell millions of them (let's not pretend like Apple didn't just sell nearly as many phones in 3 days than BlackBerry has since 2013).
    Oh, but Samsung in particular DO make bad phones. The ridiculous TouchWiz layer they put on top of Android alone is enough to stay away from the brand, IMO. I don't know the return rate on Samsung Android phones, but based on my own experience, I'm guessing it's quite high. Every single person I've known with one of the Galaxys, have had them fail after some time. Not kidding. Sure, these people aren't technologically savvy, but should you have to be?

Personally, I'm no brand loyalist, although there are definitely brands I stay away from; Samsung being one of those brands.

As sick as I am of Android (used it for years), I do think BlackBerry did the right thing here. Just look at what happened to Nokia when they refused to take the Android route... I'm not giving too many fu@ks, though, I'm sticking with the Passport as long as possible. I won't accept inferior technology.

Passport SQW100-1 OS 10.3.2.2339
    09-29-15 12:12 PM
    Still in love with my BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition OS 10.
    If I was ready to switch to a Priv, I'd still want OS 10.
    I have an Android device already. :-D
    09-29-15 12:31 PM
    I will use Priv with Android
    09-29-15 12:58 PM
    I'm using a Sony Xperia Z Ultra, and I'll be switching to the Priv with Android. The first thing I'll be changing is the horrendous stock wallpaper.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-29-15 01:01 PM
    I will get one, but not immediately. I will continue to use my PP as my main daily driver. The Priv will be used via wifi just for my learning curve purposes. I do really hope that BB10 or its future OS will go on forever, but I need to have my plan B.

I had used Android phone in the past and still has it just for fun. But I rather support BB android phone version to keep the company afloat.

Cheers
    09-29-15 01:14 PM
    I love bb10. Im using I on my z30. The OS is simple and lovely, the hub is amazing and the keyboard is very friendly but nothing works fine on it. I have to download .apk application from the web to work fine. The messages on Whatsapp delay, I have to reopen the application to recieve them. Facebook is so poor... I know that this phone is made for business but business nowadays can make also with Whatsapp or Facebook or Page Manager for facebook. In my phone even BBM Isn't working because me carrier company doesn't support BlackBerry. Working fine on any other android device with the same carrier. I always se BlackBerry as Linux that everyone love it but all have the dual boot for things you cant do with it. It will be great that we could install Google Play but not to switch to Android.
    09-29-15 01:36 PM
    I've got my passport for work and will be getting the Priv for home/personal. I doubt I'll put the passport back down unless the Priv is dual boot. In that case I will use os10 for during the day and the lovely android for when I'm home with all my compatible devices!!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 01:41 PM
    My main concern is software updates. When Blackberry updates the OS, will we have to wait for the carrier to approve it? Or will it be similar to now where we can load a newer OS that is released whether the carrier does or not?

This is a big factor for me.
    09-29-15 01:45 PM
    Waiting to see if a Passport also comes out with Android, if not then probably get this to replace my HTC One.
    09-29-15 01:53 PM
    Are you for real?

I fired up my Z10 just to test out this nonsensical theory and it is exactly that; nonsensical.

I have, side by side, my Z10 and my S5. I go to the home screen of the CrackBerry app on both phones. As the app loads I flick my thumb up on each hand, S5 in the left, Z10 in the right. The news posts on the S5 scroll without hesitation. The articles on the Z10? They take ~5 seconds just to load, let alone be so "fluid".

I get that you have a hate on for Android, but don't conjure up what isn't true. Each handset maker has its pros and cons but I fail to see how people can believe that Samsung and Apple make bad phones yet sell millions of them (let's not pretend like Apple didn't just sell nearly as many phones in 3 days than BlackBerry has since 2013).

Believe me, I love BlackBerry, but this 'bury my head in the sand' mentality is exactly why they are where they are. They have great ideas and their heart is in the right place but their hardware isn't even close to Apple or Samsung and to say that it is when it clearly is not is nothing short of ridiculous.

~TheRealFixxxer
    I did say the Note is much faster did I not? and no I am NOT an Android hater - in fact I have quite of number Android devices - I'm talking about the fluidity of the scrolling and animations and NOT the speed - All of my Samsung devices get laggy after a day or so without rebooting. I can go for months without lag on my Z30 albeit much slower performance but duh? look at the processor power difference. With a CPU and the amount of RAM on the Note Edge, this thing should be as smooth as silk and yet my lowly Z30 has a smoother overall experience than the Note. This is my perception of my devices and if you're happy with the performance of your S5, that's great for you but if the Priv runs like a BB I will be ditching my Note.

Edit: My Passport runs circles around my Note Edge as far as fluidity and speed but unfortunately, lacks app support.

Also, I believe the lag is not an Android issue but rather a brand issue in how they implement and modify the O/S as my experience with my LG G3 is totally different because with the G3 I don't get the lag but I get stuttering instead where as my Nexus 5's overall performance is quite fluid. With that in mind, I'm hopeful BB will be able to make the experience as fluid as BB10 or the Nexus 5.

I believe Samsung sells a lot of phones because their super bright over saturated screen and gimmicks draw a lot of people to their products, me included, and I guess you can call me a sucker but I get drawn in just like the vast majority of consumers. I was even going to buy the Note 5 but when I discovered they didn't have sd card support anymore I declined. I don't use any of their products as my main phone - I just use them as my play phones.
    09-29-15 02:12 PM
    The BlackBerry experience is key to me. If it has all the features I am use to as a BlackBerry user, and the addition of apps from GooglePlay I am in. I will be getting it day 1 just as my last 3 BlackBerrys.
    09-29-15 02:44 PM
    Not a chance. One of the reasons I like my Passport is that it IS NOT Android. I find using Android endlessly frustrating. Just more so that using IOS.
    jsmith00075 likes this.
    09-29-15 04:01 PM
    If Tmo releases it, I'm getting it.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 04:03 PM
    If if comes with the things that make me choose BB10 over other platforms, I'll try it out. The Priv looks very appealing.
    - Hub
    - Virtual Keyboard
    - Gestures
    - Multitasking (Fantastic in BB10)
    These are some of the elements that I need to buy a Priv, just the day after putting it in sale.

And something VERY VERY important!!
    I must be able to answer to any instant message like BBM or Whatsapp while using another app without leaving the currently used app, I thing BB10 is the only one that allow you to do such an amazing featuring...
    09-29-15 04:44 PM
354 ... 89101112 ...