11-08-15 08:10 AM
316 ... 111213
tools
    Right. Not really an upgrade, it seems to me. I couldn't ask for more from my SE Passport. Of course, I'm not a gamer. About the only thing I can think of that I'd get from the Priv would be Google Maps that I could sign into, which isn't a big deal for me. I've had a slider in the past, the Torch II, and the typing wasn't as easy as with the Bold I had had previously.

That said, if BlackBerry offered Android on the SE Passport, I would try it. Not likely, though.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 09:19 PM
    Just had an episode for a week with the Q10, had BlackBerry support do a device / OS reload with me to check the battery...

Now that Passport looks like a massive upgrade and will last me for a another while... and hopefully resist the privitive urge to but this new phone... :-D

Edit: Also found a Passport replacement battery on ebay...

  Ahoy, back on the Passport, ...Privateers! :-)  
    11-05-15 10:33 PM
    Hell NO When i have a perfectly good passport with no problems this may be sad but I'm begining to not care so much for app's gues I'm getting old..er ...a phone is just a phone anymore.
    I actually use my Z30 far more than my Passport. No Priv in my future. Time to start weighing other options for the future.
    11-05-15 11:30 PM
    I am highly considering upgrading to the Priv. No other BB10 device really caught my eye after my two and a half year old Q10. I passed on the Z30 because I am not a fan of a full-touch device, I passed on the Passport because I couldn't see myself getting used to that keyboard or requiring the use of both hands all the time, and I passed on the Classic because I had no desire for the trackpad and it wasn't an update spec wise from my Q10.

I would have preferred a BB10-powered Priv, but that really only would have appealed to us CrackBerry people. If I must move to Android, I will do it using a BlackBerry.

EDIT: Whoops, I just noticed that the title of this thread is specifically asking who is NOT upgrading to the Priv. No wonder all of you aren't thinking about upgrading to it! I need to read before I post. Anyway, you all have fun with your Passports and Z30s!
    11-05-15 11:37 PM
    I'm happy with my Passport , no way I switch to Android..

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 01:24 AM
    Never mind!
    Last edited by dphjeff; 11-11-15 at 04:50 PM.
    11-06-15 06:03 AM
    I'm glad BlackBerry developed the Priv for those who prefer Android. The only reason I won't get one is strictly because the size. I'm leaning more toward one hand use sizes. If BlackBerry releases a Android version of the Classic with high end internals then I will return to Android. Until that happens I will stick with my Passport, or get the present day Classic because of its size.
    11-06-15 06:24 AM
    you wont regret the passport. besides not really missing anything important, it has been able to run every android app i've tried. including google earth. also the thing is tough as nails.

ps: I typed this with one hand.

Posted via CBX
    11-06-15 08:07 AM
    Not I. Currently have a passport that I bought from shopbb with that early coupon code.

The Priv is priced fairly high and I don't need it. Also not a fan of any slider.

Posted via CB10
    The only advantage I see with a slider is the extra screen real estate which makes watching videos even on YouTube much more enjoyable. I wonder how top-heavy the BlackBerry is when the keyboard is in use? Does anyone know if updates to Google Android will be released for this smartphone or will Google wave its finger and tell BlackBerry " " in the Soup Nazi voice?
    11-06-15 08:33 AM
    It's now 20 minutes since I laid hands on the Priv at the AT&T store in well to do suburb of Chicago. (Not where I live, just where the store is :-) ) Ten customers in store at opening, and I'm the only one looking at the Priv.

Beautiful screen, bright, crisp, very fast navigation, a little confusing to me as a ten year multidevice BlackBerry owner, including my current SE.

Sorry, but I wouldn't trade the SE PP even up for the Priv, attractive as it is. There's no way I could match the productivity of my SE with the Priv, even after getting used to it. There was no getting used to the Passports, OG and SE. They were fantastic right out of the box.

The striking thing to me right off was the small size of the pkbd and the fact that you have to use the alt key to get to the numbers and the punctuation. I much prefer the combined pkbd and virtual kbd of the PP. I have normal size hands for a man, but this pkbd just isn't going to work for me. My wife might be OK with it. That's my hand and the Priv in the picture, taken w my SE.

I didn't want to write this mini review. In fact, I was half inclined to pick up a Priv today. I'm still in the AT&T Store writing this on my Passport. Still no more lookers at the Priv display. (They have a Classic right next to the Priv, but it's not working--flashing red light, charger symbol w strike through, won't boot. Maybe I should offer to do an OS autoload for them. )

Who Is Not Ugrading to a PRIV?-img_20151106_101438.jpg

Posted via CB10
    m1kr0 likes this.
    11-06-15 10:45 AM
    With latest Louks interview over at Android Central, I am now even less likely to purchase the Priv considering his comments over Android on BlackBerry remaining as close to stock (Google) Android as possible unless it concerns security and/or productivity.

I would donate $10 to the Save BB10 cause if and only if I could be offered some assurance that the money would be put to proper use. Otherwise, no, I'm not going to send $10 to some random dude.

Yup; I have owned three Android handsets over the last few years and no matter how much of a chance I gave to each I could never fully get used to Android. Just something about that OS that annoys the pizz out of me.

Perhaps a possibility, and it's nice to dream, however I am pretty sure that Chen and Co. crunched the numbers to prevent exactly this. Like the Passport and Classic, the Priv is going to be produced in limited number runs; any overstock would not be worth the hassle.

Yup, in it for the OS, too. I think it is really only a one OS race considering that iOS users are the most likely to pay good money for both the hardware and apps. Don't forget that cheap - to - free phones and apps are what made Android so popular in the first place.

Roughly 99% of the Android diehards.

This is the only selling point for me thus far. There are many apps in Play that I could use, even some that I want to use, but none that I have to use and can surely live without. That one, and I do mean only one, "must have" app is already available through Amazon App, anyways.

It will be interesting to see how BlackBerry develops on the platform over the year and beyond, but out of the gate it is more Android than anything even with those BlackBerry engineered keyboards and security features. It also does not help that it looks like Google is going to finally go ahead with the Chrome OS/Android merger, which would likely be even more distasteful.

I wish BlackBerry success overall but at this point in time I cannot support a Powered by Android BlackBerry. Bottom line; I will not "go Android" in effort to keep BlackBerry handsets alive if those handsets ultimately are not what I want.

Personally, I think the "app gap" was only a partial reason to go Android. It is an obvious selling point however ultimately going with Android will save BlackBerry tons of money considering that in-house development could be (and has been) trimmed down to a minimum. Moving development to Foxconn was the first step, now going with the "free" resources provided by/through Android was the next. Both of which also reduced BlackBerry's need for in-house developers, coders, designers, engineers, and so on.

But yes, there is something they could have done about. It is all water under the bridge now, but considering they have some of the best in the industry surely they have put their collective minds together to create a viable solution to the BB10 problem. Google is now wanting to get Play onto as many devices as possible ranging from mobile to television to everything in between and beyond. To think that a deal to bring Play to BB10 would not have been possible is nuts. BB10 simply could not sell. But Android can. Even if the Priv or Android on BlackBerry in general is at the bottom of Android handset sales that is still a better figure than what all of BB10 has done.

BlackBerry as a company has other products to sell and in reality the Priv is in part advertising for BlackBerry's other products (BES12, BBM, IoT this and that, and so on). Going Android is finally going to give the BlackBerry name/brand that little push it needs to bring them back into the conversation in ways that BB10 could never do (outside of "BlackBerry is dead"). This is the real reason for going with Android; not the app-gap. Otherwise they surely could have found that sweet spot between sales/costs/production to where BB10 is not a loss but of course in doing so BlackBerry would remain that obscure brand that "no one" knows about.

I have been a Mac addict since the launch of the G3 line, and have only bought and used Macs in house. I am a huge Apple fan although their software has been "dumbed down" over the years (looking at you Final Cut X) and I am one who believes that Macs were better back when they were still PowerPC/RISC. I also currently own two iPads, a later gen. iPod Touch, two iPhones (3S and 4, never used them for telephony, though), and Ms. Crucial BBQ has an iPhone 5S. To be blunt; I believe iOS has its functionality and iOS9 + 6S is a great combo, however, iOS is more of an entertainment OS than one of productivity. I don't hate it, but I find that iOS is better suited for single-at-the-moment use (playing games, surfing the web, Pinterest, displaying recipes, and so on) than it is for multitasking any day of the week.

Tim Cook has stated that the mobile OS and desktop OS should remain separate unlike W8/W10 and what Google wants to do with Chrome OS and Android. Then again, the majority of iOS users are also PC users who ironically believe that "Macs suck", so it makes sense to keep iOS as its own thing.

I agree though, I don't want to tinker with my phone much because that is not how I use smartphones. I do however geek out hardcore with my Mac; making heavy use of Terminal.
    I have been using Macs as long as I used BlackBerry. Love them compared to Windows and use them for my engineering workstations at work. There is a lot of power available with Terminal and the UNIX backend.
    11-06-15 04:33 PM
    I will not get the BlackBerry Priv, the passport that I'm using is just awesome I get stuff done quickly, and efficiently period, I just hope BlackBerry doesn't get rid of bb10 because it's an amazing os, why doesn't Mr Chen hire some developers, and pay them top notch money, so that they can make Apps for bb10 I don't understand why they would make an android handset, and to top it off its sooooo expensive WOOOW no sorry I will be surprised if BlackBerry pulls this off.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 10:35 AM
    Last week I wouldn't have even thought about getting a Priv, I'm wavering. Oh God, I'm wavering!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 04:22 PM
    Have Q10 now. Hope this makes the price of bb10 devices cheaper. Would like to pick up a classic. Not a android fan.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 04:52 PM
    Hell NO When i have a perfectly good passport with no problems this may be sad but I'm begining to not care so much for app's gues I'm getting old..er ...a phone is just a phone anymore.
    I'm in the same boat with you apps is lest of my worries
    But I know and accept that BlackBerry needs to move on with they hustle
    Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 05:16 PM
    Not switching from bb10. Had a few android phones, and I really just don't have any interest in that clunky OS at all. Don't get me wrong, looks like a great phone, that ANY previous BlackBerry user currently on android would like, just not what I'm into. I'd miss the fluidity of a good operating system too much.

ClassicSQC100-4/10.3.2.2639
    11-08-15 08:10 AM
316 ... 111213