11-08-15 08:10 AM
316 ... 910111213
tools
    there is no carrier support where I am, it is going to cost me a lot of money to bring it in directly from ShopBB USA, and with the current specs, I feel it is way over priced compared to other devices that my carriers are offering at 0 cost to me, from renewing my contracts.
    Right, that's the sh1tty part of blackberry. Customer care sucks in some part of the world.
    Expensive it is for a first one.
    10-30-15 10:27 AM
    Not true at all...on top of the added security embedded in the device (and I'm not talking about DTEK) there is the BlackBerry Productivity suite and outstanding hardware build quality that other Android devices do not have! Also, you seem to dismiss the form factor quite easily, that however is something that will bring back a lot of former BlackBerry users.
    I doubt the hardware is significantly better than comparably priced Samsung device.

Hub and keyboard aside, the OS is still Android, and that means the UI and navigation is still crap.
    lnichols likes this.
    10-30-15 10:59 AM
    Keeping phones helps keep their business and Government customers with and all-in-one device and secure.
    Seeing as I (and most CrackBerry forum participants are I wager) do not self-identify as a "corporate" or "government" user (I'm just an individual user who likes BB10 the best) what I'm responding to is this, I'm sorry, insane notion that "BlackBerry Fans should buy the Priv if we want BlackBerry to survive."

I don't represent all BB10 fans but for me, without BB10, I really don't care too much if BlackBerry continues making handsets (actually for reasons mentioned above, I hope they DO stop making handsets if they're not making BB10 handsets) and by extension, since I'm also not using BES or concerned about bullet proof corporate security (BB10 handset security and not being married to a Google account is enough for me) then all BlackBerry is without BB10, to me, is some other enterprise software company in the nature of EMC, or Computer Associates, or Oracle. Yes, they power the businesses I personally engage with, but you won't find a single post by me on the "EMC FanSite" or the "Computer Associates Enthusiasts" board, because I have no emotional attachment to that technology, where I do have an emotional attachment to my personal choice in mobile devices, that I entrust with very important data and, on more than one occasion, use of the device has made me very happy (like being in a meeting with a lawyer and using BlackBerry's Remote File Access to pull some Word documents of my home computer).

Suggestions that BlackBerry enthusiasts "should" buy the Priv to support BlackBerry Ltd. are, in a word. asinine. They killed BB10 as the result of a "business decision" and emotion, sentimentality is being invoked to "support BlackBerry by buying a Priv"? PSCHEwwww that's my head exploding trying to make sense of that.
    10-30-15 12:16 PM
    Seeing as I (and most CrackBerry forum participants are I wager) do not self-identify as a "corporate" or "government" user (I'm just an individual user who likes BB10 the best) what I'm responding to is this, I'm sorry, insane notion that "BlackBerry Fans should buy the Priv if we want BlackBerry to survive."

I don't represent all BB10 fans but for me, without BB10, I really don't care too much if BlackBerry continues making handsets (actually for reasons mentioned above, I hope they DO stop making handsets if they're not making BB10 handsets) and by extension, since I'm also not using BES or concerned about bullet proof corporate security (BB10 handset security and not being married to a Google account is enough for me) then all BlackBerry is without BB10, to me, is some other enterprise software company in the nature of EMC, or Computer Associates, or Oracle. Yes, they power the businesses I personally engage with, but you won't find a single post by me on the "EMC FanSite" or the "Computer Associates Enthusiasts" board, because I have no emotional attachment to that technology, where I do have an emotional attachment to my personal choice in mobile devices, that I entrust with very important data and, on more than one occasion, use of the device has made me very happy (like being in a meeting with a lawyer and using BlackBerry's Remote File Access to pull some Word documents of my home computer).

Suggestions that BlackBerry enthusiasts "should" buy the Priv to support BlackBerry Ltd. are, in a word. asinine.
    As shareholder, I disagree with first part of statement, I want BlackBerry to survive however it can. However, I can agree with the last part of this statement. BlackBerry will not benefit from sympathy purchases, that's what happened with Z10 and look at the amount of returns they had to eat.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 12:24 PM
    As shareholder, I disagree with first part of statement, I want BlackBerry to survive however it can.
    I'm a shareholder too. The answer to the dilemma "If I want my shares to rise, I should be an advocate for the Priv, but I just can't bring myself to do it" is a simple one: SELL MY SHARES. At a 30% loss I might add.

When BlackBerry announces layoffs, when they hint that they are moving away from BB10, the stock reacts by RISING. It sickens me, but that's the way the stock market reacts to such information releases.

I would personally prefer it if BlackBerry innovated in how they market BlackBerry 10 and fund development for updates to BlackBerry 10, and innovate on how they fund BB10 device development... but it is clear that unless the Android "experiment" is a failure, and BlackBerry management's coin flip on what to try next leads them to reinvest in BB10 (doubtful), it would be far better for the share price to announce BB10 EOL aside from absolute bare-minimum contractually-obligated software updates (which is what we get from reading between the lines, but it ISN'T what BlackBerry management as stated in plain eng ish).

The share price would go UP if they did EOL BB10 without ambiguity, but standard business practice is for a business to hedge their bets to get customers who take "XXXX is supported" at face value to buy up the rest of their languishing inventory before they clearly articulate the EOL status of their product line.

I expect that once BB10 device inventory levels drop below a certain point, there will be further price reductions and THEN the BB10 EOL announcement will be made... but not until inventory levels are low enough.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 10-30-15 at 12:57 PM.
    10-30-15 12:28 PM
    Believe or not - I'd actually buy this phone* except for one problem - I'm cheap - I got a LG G4 for £220 and I just cannot bring myself to spend another £300 for just a keyboard.

* although a landscape slider would be my real dream.
    10-30-15 12:28 PM
    Been straight to BlackBerry from start. Feel like always been treated as piece of... in return. Would love BlackBerry for years to come but seems like they feed not with love and force their core customers to competition.
    Which makes me seriously hesitant about the Priv. Now specs are great, don't get me wrong. But why on earth would I want to buy it with all the may beZ 'bout companyís future and at that price, when I go frank-n- straight to android or even consider iPhone for a few more bucks if prestige is what I'm after, and especially when BlackBerry's urging me to do so?
    You tell me and please, come not with that security argument...

Z30, STA100-2 /10.3.2.2639
    10-30-15 12:32 PM
    Believe or not - I'd actually buy this phone* except for one problem - I'm cheap - I got a LG G4 for £220 and I just cannot bring myself to spend another £300 for just a keyboard.

* although a landscape slider would be my real dream.
    I've seen this post a lot in different forums over the past couple of months. Phones are now too big for landscape keyboards. The amount of travel your thumbs would have to take from key to key would slow you down more than back then.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-30-15 01:14 PM
    I've seen this post a lot in different forums over the past couple of months. Phones are now too big for landscape keyboards. The amount of travel your thumbs would have to take from key to key would slow you down more than back then.
    I can well believe it - the G4 is really at the edge of what I want in the size of a phone.
    10-30-15 01:16 PM
    Me, I love BB10

Arjun Butola
    acovey likes this.
    10-30-15 01:22 PM
    My sister wanted to give me a new phone on my upcoming birthday, she wanted to know about my choice BlackBerry Priv or IPhone. My answer was IPhone.

Posted via CB10
    That was a very beautiful and touching story.
    tp2386, ChrisLeNeve and idhbar like this.
    10-30-15 01:33 PM
    Considering downgrading back to the Q10. The Passport is great, but it is not the laptop replacement that I thought it was, as USB OTG is slow and frustrating. We'll see how the Priv fares in a few days, but if it's weak, then back to a smaller BB10 phone I'm going.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 01:42 PM
    Raises hand. Leaves the room.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 01:53 PM
    I'm planning on upgrading to the Passport this summer (from my Q10.) I'm hoping to figure out how to get a Silver Edition that works here in SA. I'm concerned that the Priv may represent the end of the road for Blackberry and am seriously considering buying a second Passport weeks after the first one if I am happy with it. I'm an unabashed BlackBerry fanboy, but I really don't understand who they think is going to buy the Priv.

The Classic should have been a BlackBerry 10 launch phone (with the Z10.) It's absence, in addition to the launch issues with the OS are what polished of the brand. The Classic is the obvious path from the Bold, and the gap of years between the BB10 launch and the Classic is the gap into which the brand fell.

For me, the Priv sounds like the fat lady is warming up off stage.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    10-30-15 02:10 PM
    The Q10 really was a good phone. Better than the Classic, in fact. But it could have used a finer camera and screen.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 07:59 PM
    [QUOTE=zocster;12029900with the current specs, I feel it is way over priced compared to other devices that my carriers are offering at 0 cost to me, from renewing my contracts.[/QUOTE]Do you feel that it is overpriced because you can get another phone for free* by signing another contract, because comparatively, based on specs, it's price seems about par for the course
    10-30-15 08:12 PM
    There is nothing wrong with my note 4 but I'm a phone junky so.. Priv it is,
    Same here.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    10-30-15 08:16 PM
    Can't do it. Not until this slider is updated to the Marshmallow OS and I'm free from my Verizon contract next summer.

Of course if actual real-life reviews of production units (not hands-on or unboxing) reveal that BB has implemented granular permissions in a 5.1.1 OS, then I'm good with that. But I still have to wait to get out of my Verizon account cause I want an unlocked phone for quick updates.

Meanwhile I'll make do with a Nexus 6P order. Screw BB10; it's become useless without real advancing versions (& I don't mean 10.3.3 either) and useless app ecosystem.
    10-30-15 11:13 PM
    Do you feel that it is overpriced because you can get another phone for free* by signing another contract, because comparatively, based on specs, it's price seems about par for the course
    I didn't sign another contract, it's renewal of what I have had for the last 9 years lol
    10-30-15 11:21 PM
    I left Verizon, but I'm really really hoping there is a Verizon model. I don't believe it's been through the FCC yet, but doesn't mean it's not coming. Verizon has released phones a few weeks later than others in the past.

Verizon is the largest US carrier and my dad is still using his Z10 on Verizon's corporate side. Surely it would be a mistake to not offer it to Verizon and their many corporate customers!

Maybe I'm just still in denial, but last I heard all four carriers would get the Priv. Sprint though... seems doubtful.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic.

Posted via CB10
    Out of curiosity as I'm not from the US.

Verizon is a CDMA network company? Is that why the phone is not offered by them?

Can you in the US change to a different network provider without changing your phone number? Coz here, we can get any phone we want & it's all been unlocked for the last 15 years or more so this has not been an issue with us.

If one company doesn't provide us with a good service then we just switch to another the next day or month & nobody would ever notice.

I hear that CDMA is dying & it's only available in US, Korea & Japan. It's a shame as all good technology must die to let the sub-par survive. I've seen this too many times.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 12:26 AM
    I'm not DOWNGRADING to a Priv, call me when the BB10 model comes out.
    10-31-15 12:33 AM
    I'm not DOWNGRADING to a Priv, call me when the BB10 model comes out.
    Phew, glad you wrote "downgrading" all in caps, since for a second I thought you meant you were upgrade to the Priv because you love it so much.
    ChrisLeNeve likes this.
    10-31-15 12:44 AM
    I'm buying. I'm willing to spend that much. Money is material. Just paper in my opinion. No real value. Anyways I hate it doesn't have BB10 but I like the idea of a secure Android phone. And it's a slider which I never had as an original BlackBerry device. I also like the title, BlackBerry PRIV. $699.00 seems fair from its specs. I'll definitely throw down that much. I would get a Z30 but I rather go for the newest thing. Right now I still have my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 03:26 AM
    There is nothing wrong with my note 4 but I'm a phone junky so.. Priv it is,
    I'm on the fence myself. Love my note 4 but there's something about CrackBerry that always pulls me back!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-31-15 03:54 AM
    Out of curiosity as I'm not from the US.

Verizon is a CDMA network company? Is that why the phone is not offered by them?

Can you in the US change to a different network provider without changing your phone number? Coz here, we can get any phone we want & it's all been unlocked for the last 15 years or more so this has not been an issue with us.

If one company doesn't provide us with a good service then we just switch to another the next day or month & nobody would ever notice.

I hear that CDMA is dying & it's only available in US, Korea & Japan. It's a shame as all good technology must die to let the sub-par survive. I've seen this too many times.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, we can port our mobile phone number if we switch carriers in the US. The only challenge is making sure that the bands are compatible if we want to keep the same phone. Carriers run promotions to pay for out of pocket switching costs, including paying off phones and contracts.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 05:16 AM
316 ... 910111213