10-16-15 09:04 PM
38 12
tools
    It has been confirmed my firm WILL NOT allow Priv use for Enterprise. I did some checking around at other firms using both Mobile Iron and Good as well as BES10 &12 for BB and IOS. None so far are even considering testing the Priv as it is an Android device - even secured by BB, it is considered inherently 'unsafe' for Enterprise by every IT department I spoke with. None had been shown the Priv or its ability to be secure on Enterprise. Apparently BBRY thought it unnecessary to run this device through its existing customer base?

I'm kind of pissed actually, as I despise IOS and its all-controlling awkward OS. I had a fairly tense conversation with our CTO, basically saying 'So our only choice from here on out is I-phones, which don't have SD card slots, and charge enormous amounts for sufficient memory?.... But that was it in a nutshell. Firm will support BB10 & BB7 phones until they die. No more BB purchases. Iphone purchases, for base model only (user can buy above base at own cost).

This was my concern at the start. BB failing to get enterprise on-board. No enterprise and/or no government purchases will likely result in exceptionally low sales numbers.
    Q10Bold, Asvertus and NtotheK like this.
    10-16-15 10:18 AM
    Give them some time for the phone to be released. Most CIOs are probably not CrackBerry participants so probably don't even know about Priv. Sample bias. Or something like that.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 10:20 AM
    Give them some time for the phone to be released. Most CIOs are probably not CrackBerry participants so probably don't even know about Priv. Sample bias. Or something like that.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately they are aware. BBRY sent out emails the other day announcing the device. The bottom line is the device runs Android. Blackberry knows or should have known the degree to which there is bias against that ecosystem, as they have been pushing that story-line for nearly 7 years. They should have been out in the field with the device months ago. At least trying to change minds. From my understanding, they have not done any direct calls with the device.
    10-16-15 10:25 AM
    Basically your firm doesn't allow any Android devices, and pre-launch is not the time for BlackBerry to attempt to convince them to allow the Priv.

After launch, and with many security certifications earned, then BlackBerry should work to convince any firms that still do not allow Android phones.

By this point, many firms internal IT may already be re-evaluating Android support. Supported phones and OS will always be changing, and it doesn't make sense to rage on BlackBerry for not trying to convince certain firms to use Android OS at all. Many firms will be re-evaluating Android with 6.0 and Android for Work in the near future and will probably also look at the Priv as the device to deploy. That is the time BlackBerry should engage the IT department. Not pre-launch.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 10:35 AM
    Blackberry knows or should have known the degree to which there is bias against that ecosystem, as they have been pushing that story-line for nearly 7 years.
    Very good point, they have their work cut out but I'm sure they are very aware of this dilemma and yes, they need to demonstrate BB/android security. Didn't BB say that after the launch there would be additional security patches in the New Year? Bottom line is of course, if it doesn't demonstrate adequate security, it shouldn't be considered, and hopefully, the converse is true
    1magine likes this.
    10-16-15 10:35 AM
    I have to wonder how long you have been in the professional working world. Businesses are not early adopters. No one wants to go out on a limb and adopt something untried, untested, & unproven and be saddled with bugs. A business' priority is their business not adopting new phones when the current one is doing its job just fine for now. I've worked in many places, every business I've known takes 2 to 4 years to adopt the new Windows machines. It took my current company until 2013 to get rid of the Blackberries and adopt Iphones.
    10-16-15 10:37 AM
    Didn't Mr. Chen tell us that BB10 will still exist to service Companies and Governments who value security and privacy.

From that he pretty much said the PRIV running Android was a consumer phone.

No surprise here.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 10:37 AM
    Ours the standard device went from BB Curve 9300 to the iPhone 6, and they are still moving people there, or BYOD for iOS or Android (Good). I can't imagine the Priv won't work since the only requirement is no root.
    10-16-15 10:41 AM
    Didn't Mr. Chen tell us that BB10 will still exist to service Companies and Governments who value security and privacy.
    Posted via CB10
    Yes. He lied. He said he would support (which means take care of the current devices out there), but they won't be able to buy new BB10 phones. So companies and governments will have to evaluate their relationship with BlackBerry as very few will choose Android based phones over iOS. BlackBerry will no longer be considered secure once Priv is released.

Blackberry has given up their niche.
    1magine likes this.
    10-16-15 10:42 AM
    Basically your firm doesn't allow any Android devices, and pre-launch is not the time for BlackBerry to attempt to convince them to allow the Priv.

After launch, and with many security certifications earned, then BlackBerry should work to convince any firms that still do not allow Android phones.

By this point, many firms internal IT may already be re-evaluating Android support. Supported phones and OS will always be changing, and it doesn't make sense to rage on BlackBerry for not trying to convince certain firms to use Android OS at all. Many firms will be re-evaluating Android with 6.0 and Android for Work in the near future and will probably also look at the Priv as the device to deploy. That is the time BlackBerry should engage the IT department. Not pre-launch.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for your well thought out reply. I respectfully disagree. The point to in time to sell the device was prior to release. You don't manufacture or sell any product unless you know you have a market. And you don't change a product for your existing market without being assured that market wants that change. I think of this as business 202 lessons. BB wants to sell the device out of the gate. Their target is prior and current BB users who want more apps. The largest segment of current and former BB users in that market is government and enterprise. BB is touting the security (they call the device the Priv) but fail to make sure that their largest current market segments are comfortable purchasing and using the device? Enterprise needs 60-90 days even for new I-phones to generally clear usage. When are you going to start marketing 6 months after release?

Maybe this makes sense to you. Not to me. But I don't have an MBA yet so maybe I have something still to learn.
    10-16-15 10:42 AM
    I have to wonder how long you have been in the professional working world. Businesses are not early adopters. No one wants to go out on a limb and adopt something untried, untested, & unproven and be saddled with bugs. A business' priority is their business not adopting new phones when the current one is doing its job just fine for now. I've worked in many places, every business I've known takes 2 to 4 years to adopt the new Windows machines. It took my current company until 2013 to get rid of the Blackberries and adopt Iphones.
    20 years in the business and Enterprise world. Your point above is my point. They are not saying they will test the device and see. This is not the new Windows or a new IOS device. They are saying they will not test the device. Period.

I think you see and hear what you want to , not what I said.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-16-15 10:44 AM
    Ours the standard device went from BB Curve 9300 to the iPhone 6, and they are still moving people there, or BYOD for iOS or Android (Good). I can't imagine the Priv won't work since the only requirement is no root.
    Thanks - can I ask what industry?
    10-16-15 10:45 AM
    Thanks - can I ask what industry?
    Financial.
    1magine likes this.
    10-16-15 10:48 AM

From that he pretty much said the PRIV running Android was a consumer phone.

No surprise here.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think there is any such thing. I don't believe there has been any such thing for a very long time. Businesses are made up of consumers. This is how IOS became the leader in the Enterprise space. Not because it better secured information, but because more folks wanted to use the phones.

This fallacy of two separate marketplaces, led to the downfall of BBRY in the first place in my opinion.

To start out selling a device and say - "Oh, it's not for you." Seems pretty poor planning. Isn't an Iphone 6s+ a consumer device? But how is it that there are more Iphone 6s in the enterprise space than Blackberries?

Maybe I'm just missing something.
    10-16-15 10:52 AM
    Financial.
    This is good to know. I'm going to hit up some friends in capital markets and see what's going on there.
    10-16-15 10:53 AM
    This is good to know. I'm going to hit up some friends in capital markets and see what's going on there.
    I'm more interested how they are setting up your MDM, if they just restrict it to iOS. If they don't do BYOD and the standard is iPhone, you're SOL either way and it's not the Priv issue. And - believe it's not security but just a cost issue. We had a BB10 platform pilot and that was scrapped for BYOD and iPhone 6 came later (16GB models only).
    10-16-15 10:57 AM
    We have dual servers. Mobile Iron for IOS, and BES10 for BB10 and prior. No Android. Strange thing was they have tested several Androids on the system previously. Our MI rep trys to hawk them sometimes. They test for like 30 days and then ... nothing happens.

I had thought that at this point BBRY knowing we are licensing BES with hundreds of users would have brought by a few Privs for our team to test out. They did with the Z10s. It didn't help because of the lack of application push at first and the delay in getting a native RSA app, but at least BBRY reps tried. Took almost 3 months to officially adopt Z10.

Z30 was approved a week after launch.
    10-16-15 11:05 AM
    I'm kind of pissed actually, as I despise IOS and its all-controlling awkward OS. I had a fairly tense conversation with our CTO, basically saying 'So our only choice from here on out is I-phones, which don't have SD card slots, and charge enormous amounts for sufficient memory?.... But that was it in a nutshell. Firm will support BB10 & BB7 phones until they die. No more BB purchases. Iphone purchases, for base model only (user can buy above base at own cost).
    May I ask if your CTO would prefer phones without SD card slots from security viewpoints?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 11:54 AM
    I double checked the training docs they posted, definitely no restrictions on Android except for requiring 4.x+ and no root. I'll drop an email to ask them if they support it.

I'm leaning towards that some higher brass in your company specifically asked for iPhones only.
    10-16-15 11:57 AM
    All the more reason for a
    BlackBerry 10 Priv

Z10
    10-16-15 11:59 AM
    Unfortunately they are aware. BBRY sent out emails the other day announcing the device. The bottom line is the device runs Android. Blackberry knows or should have known the degree to which there is bias against that ecosystem, as they have been pushing that story-line for nearly 7 years. They should have been out in the field with the device months ago. At least trying to change minds. From my understanding, they have not done any direct calls with the device.
    Hopefully there will be a significant response by enterprises running BES or BB10 devices demanding new BB10 devices... or BlackBerry better get crackin' on releasing the documentation or materials that will assuage fears of enterprise IT & CTO types about how they've sufficiently hardened Android.
    10-16-15 12:02 PM
    Hopefully there will be a significant response by enterprises running BES or BB10 devices demanding new BB10 devices... or BlackBerry better get crackin' on releasing the documentation or materials that will assuage fears of enterprise IT & CTO types about how they've sufficiently hardened Android.
    If they weren't demanding BB10 devices earlier, they won't be demanding BB10 devices now.
    10-16-15 12:06 PM
    I have no doubt that the Priv will be a big disaster.

Posted via my Z30 (10.3.2.2639)
    NtotheK likes this.
    10-16-15 12:15 PM
    Very interesting topic. As my company does not allow Android devices in the company network, the Priv will not be considered from what I know. The fact that the Priv might be more secure does not change anything about that.

Currently allowed are BlackBerry (legacy and BB10), as well as iOS.

This raises a number of questions regarding the Priv in the enterprise market as well as about the strategic value of the device in general.

In my opinion, even though the Priv does offer some more security features, it is clearly pointed towards the consumer market, and maybe BYOD.

Companies that don't allow Android now, won't do it because of the Priv. If BB10 goes away and legacy devices are not an option anymore, BlackBerry will loose that market.

Now, what does that mean for BB10? Maybe we will see it around for quite a while.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 12:16 PM
    If they weren't demanding BB10 devices earlier, they won't be demanding BB10 devices now.
    There are millions of BB10 devices in use. If BlackBerry has misread the willingness of BB10 shops to migrate to Android, and if enterprises leaving BB10 may also mean leaving BES etc., then BlackBerry may have their hand forced and quickly react, just as Thor had to quickly react to a world where an only-full-touch device wasn't satisfactory, and the Q10 came into being.

It is only a matter of time until Apple releases an MDM server solution. If anyone thinks Apple is just going to leave that business to others, where Apple getting into the MDM game means a hardened secure proprietary end to end iOS solution that makes BlackBerry and "secure Android" even more irrelevant, well... the truth may be as far as releasing BB10 on the slider, BlackBerry may find that they can't afford NOT to.
    10-16-15 12:41 PM
38 12