There are millions of BB10 devices in use. If BlackBerry has misread the willingness of BB10 shops to migrate to Android, and if enterprises leaving BB10 may also mean leaving BES etc., then BlackBerry may have their hand forced and quickly react, just as Thor had to quickly react to a world where an only-full-touch device wasn't satisfactory, and the Q10 came into being.

It is only a matter of time until Apple releases an MDM server solution. If anyone thinks Apple is just going to leave that business to others, where Apple getting into the MDM game means a hardened secure proprietary end to end iOS solution that makes BlackBerry and "secure Android" even more irrelevant, well... the truth may be as far as releasing BB10 on the slider, BlackBerry may find that they can't afford NOT to.
    Actually it won't be Apple, but I just watched a presentation on MDM management from Cisco and it manages iOS, OSX, Windows 7,etc and Android from the same console. BES12 doesn't come close to that. I suspect that this is the future and BlackBerry doesn't have a hand to play in this card game with the loss of BB10 phones.

BTW: Apple and Cisco have a working agreement.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    10-16-15 12:13 PM
    BTW: Apple and Cisco have a working agreement.
    Thanks for reminding me: I had a buzzing in the back of my head, and this reminds me "Oh, yeah: BlackBerry just cross-licensed a bunch of Patents to Cisco and now Cisco is partnering with Apple to build an MDM server for iOS devices."

Oh, BlackBerry... you just don't give your foot a chance to heal before you shoot it again....
    1magine likes this.
    10-16-15 12:19 PM
    It has been confirmed my firm WILL NOT allow Priv use for Enterprise. I did some checking around at other firms using both Mobile Iron and Good as well as BES10 &12 for BB and IOS. None so far are even considering testing the Priv as it is an Android device - even secured by BB, it is considered inherently 'unsafe' for Enterprise by every IT department I spoke with. ... .
    You're expecting corporate IT departments to react to something that's not even available as of today?
    They're not exactly know as early adopters of anything, except maybe procrastination.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    10-16-15 12:31 PM
    It has been confirmed my firm WILL NOT allow Priv use for Enterprise. I did some checking around at other firms using both Mobile Iron and Good as well as BES10 &12 for BB and IOS. None so far are even considering testing the Priv as it is an Android device - even secured by BB, it is considered inherently 'unsafe' for Enterprise by every IT department I spoke with. None had been shown the Priv or its ability to be secure on Enterprise. Apparently BBRY thought it unnecessary to run this device through its existing customer base?

I'm kind of pissed actually, as I despise IOS and its all-controlling awkward OS. I had a fairly tense conversation with our CTO, basically saying 'So our only choice from here on out is I-phones, which don't have SD card slots, and charge enormous amounts for sufficient memory?.... But that was it in a nutshell. Firm will support BB10 & BB7 phones until they die. No more BB purchases. Iphone purchases, for base model only (user can buy above base at own cost).

This was my concern at the start. BB failing to get enterprise on-board. No enterprise and/or no government purchases will likely result in exceptionally low sales numbers.
    OP, it's ridiculous. Good, Mobile Iron, Airwatch, they don't filter by device. They don't test devices. As long as it's and Android or iOS, they can secure it. They just reinforce policies on your device. I had linked a cheap 100$ android tablet to my corporate email using Airwatch.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 12:34 PM
    OP, it's ridiculous. Good, Mobile Iron, Airwatch, they don't filter by device. They don't test devices. As long as it's and Android or iOS, they can secure it. They just reinforce policies on your device. I had linked a cheap 100$ android tablet to my corporate email using Airwatch.

Posted via CB10
    Bob - I pretty much agree. IOS is no more secure on AirWatch or Mobile Iron then would an unrooted Android. However, since when has actual security trumped security theater. Especially with law firms, banks, and brokerage houses. I talked to a number of tech folks today, and their CTOs are all holding a line against Android of any flavor on their Enterprise. Ridiculous? Sure. But unfortunately that is the current reality.
    10-16-15 12:40 PM
    Unfortunately they are aware. BBRY sent out emails the other day announcing the device. The bottom line is the device runs Android. Blackberry knows or should have known the degree to which there is bias against that ecosystem, as they have been pushing that story-line for nearly 7 years. They should have been out in the field with the device months ago. At least trying to change minds. From my understanding, they have not done any direct calls with the device.
    Would let any of your staffs use this phone if you was the owner of an enterprise?

''Splendiferousness'' is not even a word that I use to describe my passport
    10-16-15 01:07 PM
    Would let any of your staffs use this phone if you was the owner of an enterprise?

''Splendiferousness'' is not even a word that I use to describe my passport
    I would. I can lock down an Android on a BES server pretty damn tight. Push secure work space. Push screen lock, and device locks. Push password utilization. Push encryption. I can disable sharing work info on private side (copy/paste/ forwarding etc.); lock camera; set-up enterprise only app store on work side and whitelist apps on private side.
    10-16-15 01:12 PM
    You're expecting corporate IT departments to react to something that's not even available as of today?
    They're not exactly know as early adopters of anything, except maybe procrastination.
    Short answer yes. I was not asking whether we could use the device on Day 1. I was asking about plans to test a device that has been in the hands of carriers for several weeks. A device I had assumed had been in the hands of large enterprise (1,000 + licenses) admins for training and testing purposes. Much like what happened with the Z10 and many BB devices previously. The Blackberry rep would show up months before release and let you take a look at the device - maybe even hold or play with it. Weeks before release, reps would bring a few for testing and training purposes. This is part of direct selling to your best clients. The fact that not one CTO in the firms I spoke to (to be clear, I spoke to IT folks mostly, and only 2 CTOs) has held a Priv, or has plans to currently test the device because it is Android, was the point I was making. And, the question I was asking, which is, has anyone confirmed that the Priv will be allowed on their Enterprise.

So far the answer is 1. I'm sure Android is being managed on other MDMs out there, I just wanted to get a sense of what fields were looking at it, what fields were saying "no-way", and what fields were saying "sure thing."
    10-16-15 01:21 PM
    Thanks for reminding me: I had a buzzing in the back of my head, and this reminds me "Oh, yeah: BlackBerry just cross-licensed a bunch of Patents to Cisco and now Cisco is partnering with Apple to build an MDM server for iOS devices."

Oh, BlackBerry... you just don't give your foot a chance to heal before you shoot it again....
    Don't you think that was a smart move by Chen, though? MDM is going to be free or nearly free soon. Chen has acknowledged this himself. So why not cash in on those patents now when they will be worth much less later?

We support the S6 and S6 edge where I work. It's too early to say if we'll also offer Priv. If we do, it would probably be early next year.
    1magine likes this.
    10-16-15 01:24 PM
    May I ask if your CTO would prefer phones without SD card slots from security viewpoints?

Posted via CB10
    I don't think they care. I care. And I don't want to carry around or stick in a card reader . Gawd - I think that thing is ugly. I wouldn't care so much if Apple cared about specs or pricing. But they don't. I want at least a 1080P screen. I need either an SD card or 120GB. I don't like or use cloud streaming, nor do I want to rely on that for music or photos - especially Apple's penchant for taking possession of digital media that they don't own (ownership used in the 'plain sense' not the 'legal sense').
    10-16-15 01:29 PM
    Don't you think that was a smart move by Chen, though? MDM is going to be free or nearly free soon. Chen has acknowledged this himself. So why not cash in on those patents now when they will be worth much less later?

We support the S6 and S6 edge where I work. It's too early to say if we'll also offer Priv. If we do, it would probably be early next year.
    Seems to be the case, where Android is supported, Priv will likely be supported. I hope that this device really proves to be a differentiator in the secure Android space, but given Chen's earlier comments about Knox and the Blackphone, my hopes are pretty dashed at this point.
    10-16-15 01:33 PM
    Seems to be the case, where Android is supported, Priv will likely be supported. I hope that this device really proves to be a differentiator in the secure Android space, but given Chen's earlier comments about Knox and the Blackphone, my hopes are pretty dashed at this point.
    I'd like to see this also. I work for a major communication company and do field repairs. We used to exclusively use BlackBerry Bolds on BES with apps written to get dispatched and close out jobs and for corporate email. That stopped 2 years ago with byod. I still have my BlackBerry, but now it's only good for a phone and texting and Internet is shut down. Now we use Android tablets with Good for internal access and Internet. It'd be nice if we could use the Priv. Get rid of the tablet and BlackBerry Bold and just use the Priv for calling, texting, enterprise services, etc. So instead of the phone and a tablet, just give me one device (the Priv) to do it all, especially since BlackBerry brought out Good. I can only dream

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    10-16-15 07:19 PM
    I don't think they care. I care. And I don't want to carry around or stick in a card reader . Gawd - I think that thing is ugly. I wouldn't care so much if Apple cared about specs or pricing. But they don't. I want at least a 1080P screen. I need either an SD card or 120GB. I don't like or use cloud streaming, nor do I want to rely on that for music or photos - especially Apple's penchant for taking possession of digital media that they don't own (ownership used in the 'plain sense' not the 'legal sense').
    I think his point was that your CTO's point about "not having memory cards as a security feature of iOS" is silly because you can easily connect a memory card to the iPhone like this.
    10-16-15 08:04 PM
38 12