Large market that will only buy rootable phones? Yeah, I'm going to guess there are fewer than 100,000 people in this world that give two craps about rooting.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Silver Passport!
    Fewer than 100,000 intelligent people in the world? Yeah, I guess I could agree with that.

Edit: The amount of people who run custom android is not small.
    11-18-15 01:20 PM
    Large market that will only buy rootable phones? Yeah, I'm going to guess there are fewer than 100,000 people in this world that give two craps about rooting.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Silver Passport!
    There are more users with the most popular Android custom rom, CyanogenMod, than BB10 users. Guess 99,000 or less care about BB10
    tpmjb likes this.
    11-18-15 01:41 PM
    It would be awesome to have CM on Priv. As it would mean Sailfish OS would be possible and Priv would get BB10 like operating system! I'd buy Priv then ;-). Eventually.

Posted via CB10
    Trisk333 likes this.
    11-18-15 02:29 PM
    There is priv os leaked, can you tinkering with it?
    I myself have the hacking skills of a three toed sloth using a RPN calculator. Pretty much any OS with more than a 3 digit password is safe from my prying eyes.

/I can barely root a vegetable.
    tpmjb likes this.
    11-18-15 04:33 PM
    Not trying to start a fight (ok maybe a little), but wasn't there going to be a hack within days of the Priv being released that would destroy BlackBerry's Android security?

Posted via CB10
    Oh, it was made already by BlackBerry for the federal government:

BlackBerry believes in encryption backdoors - believes it's good for business
    11-18-15 04:41 PM
    Hell Google will pay if they can hack it as well, folks care just check out the super hack blogs and stuff if they don't do it GOOgle will hold a 200k scholarship to the first hacker that can and boom its done.
    11-18-15 04:56 PM
    I'm sure someone will figure a way...except it will involve developing your own chipset or something like that which is way out of the reach of even the sophisticated hacker.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-19-15 01:15 AM
    XDA developers has over 6 million users world wide and most members are rooting their phones. There IS a market there.

Yeah but even if the Priv is rootable, they won't buy it. They'll be buying whatever brand that appeals to them, not a brand that appeals to executives and governments! So no, there's not market.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 08:21 AM
    Yeah but even if the Priv is rootable, they won't buy it. They'll be buying whatever brand that appeals to them, not a brand that appeals to executives and governments! So no, there's not market.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree and the huge welcome from android sites for BB shows this phone reaches beyond governments and businesses. Comments I've already started seeing over there are already showing an interest in Priv 'Only' if it was rooted. I believe there are still many android fans that saw their favorite brands give up on the slider form factor and have been waiting for a good flagship slider they could root with their favorite ROMs again.

Again just my opinion but I think the Priv is already popular and not just for government agencies that want android apps on their phones. Even a smaller percentage of android users is probably more than the total of BB10 users so to say no market is probably just wrong.

11-19-15 08:37 AM
    Not trying to start a fight (ok maybe a little), but wasn't there going to be a hack within days of the Priv being released that would destroy BlackBerry's Android security?

Posted via CB10
    I probably shouldn't post this, but I will anyway because I'm a rebel.

I recently had an in-depth discussion with some insider BlackBerry security experts with regards as to why the Priv is �unrootable�. Long story short... There is a �measured security protocol� in place that restricts any root attempt while the phone is plugged in (charging). How is this important you ask? Well... As it turns out... The Priv battery drains so quickly, there is simply not enough time to root the phone. It's brilliant!

molson0, kbz1960 and tpmjb like this.
    11-19-15 10:04 AM

I recently had an in-depth discussion with some insider BlackBerry security experts with regards as to why the Priv is �unrootable�. Long story short... There is a �measured security protocol� in place that restricts any root attempt while the phone is plugged in (charging). How is this important you ask? Well... As it turns out... The Priv battery drains so quickly, there is simply not enough time to root the phone. It's brilliant!

You are a rebel! Next you'll be ripping those tags off of the pillows :-)

kbz1960 and BCITMike like this.
    11-19-15 10:09 AM
    Hell Google will pay if they can hack it as well, folks care just check out the super hack blogs and stuff if they don't do it GOOgle will hold a 200k scholarship to the first hacker that can and boom its done.
    Right. BlackBerry also employees a team of white hat hackers as well. That is how they came to realize that hospital equipment could be remotely accessed and controlled. They most certainly employed whites hats to break the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 10:22 AM
    Right. BlackBerry also employees a team of white hat hackers as well. That is how they came to realize that hospital equipment could be remotely accessed and controlled. They most certainly employed whites hats to break the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    Agree
    11-19-15 01:36 PM
    I would also assume BlackBerry has their own team working on hacking the PRIV. They do first, send out a fix and the XDA crowd has to start all over again.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 02:45 PM
    I'm sure someone will figure a way...except it will involve developing your own chipset or something like that which is way out of the reach of even the sophisticated hacker.

We developed our own circuit boards to hack the Xbox 360, oh ye of little faith.
    11-19-15 03:03 PM
    I would also assume BlackBerry has their own team working on hacking the PRIV. They do first, send out a fix and the XDA crowd has to start all over again.

Posted via CB10
    If that team is anything like their production team, it could be a while

11-19-15 03:04 PM

I recently had an in-depth discussion with some insider BlackBerry security experts with regards as to why the Priv is ”unrootable”. Long story short... There is a ”measured security protocol” in place that restricts any root attempt while the phone is plugged in (charging). How is this important you ask? Well... As it turns out... The Priv battery drains so quickly, there is simply not enough time to root the phone. It's brilliant!

If true, that would be a weak protocol to rely on since it can't be difficult to tap into the battery circuit with an external power source.
    11-24-15 10:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    Will be interesting to see if the Google Project Zero team take a run at it... looking at what they have done previously, they do the hack then give the OEM three or four months to make the fixes before making the results public...
    11-24-15 10:47 AM
43 12